Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Terminator 3 is a lot of fun, I genuinely like it even if it obviously can't compare to Terminator and Terminator 2. Not being able to compared to Terminator and Terminator 2 is something that's true of most sci-fi action movies out there though.

Salvation is such a waste. There is actually some incredible effects work in that movie. Michael Ironside is a human resistance general in it. It takes place entirely during the future war against the machines. And yet 3/4 of the film consists of Christian Bale and which ever other character is around at that time standing in a room arguing about nothing. It commits the worst sin of all by being BORING.

I'm really excited about this new one from the trailer since, like, there's now a way it will be boring, it will either be rad or so bad it has to be seen to be believed.

Salvation, man, gently caress that movie.

Talk to the hand was the only funny moment in Terminator 3 that really got a chuckle out of me. The star glasses at the beginning was great in a theater opening night because everyone was hyped so everyone laughed but in general most of the humor fell flat. The amazing deleted Sgt. Candy scene should have been left in if they wanted to go a more comedic way with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That personalizing of Skynet really is awful. An effect of it being PG-13 I guess wherein if it were R rated the story would logically go in a much more urgently violent direction. I really, really, really, really hate the scene of a terminator throwing someone around forever instead of killing them outright. There have been lots of different robots from Skynet in the movies like the tanks, aerial hunter killers, etc., but the unifying conceit of the "Terminator" as a concept is that if it gets its "hands" on a plain old human being that human is dead.

To me the only straight up bad shot in T3 is when Arnold reattaches his head. There's a blown to pieces Arnold head prop, and the actual CG of the pieces reconnecting, sparks, etc. is EXTREMELY good for the time. But after he reattaches the camera lingers just a bit too long killing it. The CG was great in T3 when it came out and I'm not understanding all the hate for it. That one particular shot of a T-800 walking up to the screen isn't amazing but even the marching T-800s and the aerial hunter killer in the beginning were considered pretty high tier when the movie was released.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 5, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

From my limited reading on the development of T4 I believe Christian Bale singlehandedly ruined it by inserting himself in the John Connor role and making it a large part of the movie. But maybe the script was too far gone by then. I still like it for the excellent performance by Anton Yelchin though. That guy is pretty good in everything he's in.

If you know more about Bale possibly effecting the course of the movie do you have a link or anything to post? I ask because I remember reading an interview with him where he basically said he had no interest, but then saw the script and thought it was mind blowing and immediately signed on. But then there were a lot of weird changes to the ending as development went on. Initially Connor was going to die, but then the resistance people would transplant Connor's face onto Sam Worthington's skeleton so that the resistance would still have a "strong leader" to rally around.

I blame the movie sucking completely on McGee though. I mean I'm not that big a Christian Bale fan but the guy is capable of acting well, and the cast in general wasn't particularly bad, just in this film everyone was completely awful. Also Moon Bloodgood, like why is there a geisha native american pilot, like was this an action figure/we need to sell fan service tie-in stuff decision or something? It is a fact that Terminator: Salvation almost received an R rating, but did not, not because of the violence which was always shot assuming PG-13, but because McGee was apparently really fighting for one of the actresses (I forget if it was Moon Bloodgood or the woman who play Christian Bale's girlfriend) to have a nude sex scene. Totally wrong director for the movie.

Having it focus on John Connor in general I think was a mistake, John Connor's a living legend even in the future, he's a mythological figure. Kyle Reese talks him up like he's basically god in Terminator 1, and in Terminator 2 we get a similar visual depiction with everyone scrambling around this haggard strategist type.

I mentioned earlier, but the footage and what I know about this new Terminator film, despite bizarre title, has me really interested because it looks like they're swinging for the fences structurally, so it will hopefully not be the most boring Terminator product ever made like Salvation was (even the official Terminator 2 screen saver was more exciting than that movie).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 5, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The SNES Robocop vs Terminator game is kind of awful gameplay-wise, but what little of the comic's story was left in it was so cool that I kept renting it until I beat it.

One of the few instances where I find the Genesis version is superior. Surprisingly good on Game Gear too. Terminator is akin to Alien in that unlike other licensed properties it's actually had a lot of REALLY good video games over the years (though the typical trash is in there as well).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Catrinn Brloosta?

Defiance Industries posted:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2009/05/08/film-us-terminator-idUKTRE5476A020090508

They asked Bale to be Marcus, Bale decided he wanted to be John Connor, then Bale decided they needed to rewrite the script so that he would be as important as the main character rather than play the role he demanded he have.

Christ what an rear end in a top hat. :D This was the movie where that weird "I'M A PROFESSIONAL!" rant happened too isn't it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah it had some scattered gore moments (her punching through that cop from the back seat and then steering the car with that arm was awesome) but knowing this information, I can definitely see how the major sequences were filmed around it possibly being PG-13.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dwayne Johnson operating with Terminator 1 caliber efficiency while just being his normal affable, charming self would be legit terrifying.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gatts posted:

I hope the climax of Terminator Genysis involves the Protoss vs the Terminators.

Then again, maybe we could get a found footage horror film set in the Terminator universe future war. Like monstrous, nightmarish technology hunting humans down filmed in that way.

There's like, a Terminator 1 only EU that has awesome content to draw upon for this. Like the much messier and primitive models of the T-800 and inhumanoid robots that exist just to like scap and skin humans for tissue samples and stuff, these metal plated, snake like robots that would slither around and then sit still in some rubble collecting data, and of course the actual concentration camps where the humans do menial tasks and are then incinerated that Reese talks about in T1, etc.

I remember one of the Terminator PC games, Future Shock, game is legit amazing. It has a few missions where you have to get information/find out stuff about the camps, eventually you storm a camp and go in to the cell to rescue you friends but they're just charred skeletons when you get there. The explorable rooms were like that too throughout LA itself. Impressively somber game given that it came out after the more action oriented T2 movie, RoboCop vs. Terminator was already at thing, etc. A pain to get working now but maybe worth checking out a let's play of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

The one I liked was the little rolling trilobite/cockroach "cruise missile" that would drive through the rubble and seek out human positions to explode. It showed up in the T2 shooter game, at least.

These are cool, they first appeared in a novelization of T1 I believe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef_dv29apUo&t=252s

Offtopic, just any time anything cool is in a game SNK/Taito/Data East/Sega did a couple of years earlier. :D

But man that T2 game is so good, I spent so much money on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

See what I mean?

Ah yes, that old strawman. Derailing entire threads with gobbledygook is unwelcome whether we're discussing something we like, dislike, or feel no attachment to. Head on over to the absolutely ruined Star Wars thread to see SMG and others defending the prequels and implying people who dislike them don't actually like Star Wars. Who is defending what here?

Dude just put him on ignore like I did like a year ago who gives a gently caress. :) I know it's not a total solution since people quote his posts verbatim but who cares?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I thought it was so cool how they filmed Sarah and Kyle planning to blow up Cyberdyne in T1 but didn't go with it, going for the closed loop being Kyle being John's dad. But then in T2 they went filming blowing up Cyberdyne in the most excessively overkill way possible and it was amazing. I'm glad they waited.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

You could maybe say that the T-1000 didn't want to run the risk of John coming across his mother's body and therefore knowing that the T-1000 might take her shape?

Yeah at this point it knows it's vulnerable and malfunctioning. John seeing his killed mom would garner him either completely bolting or going completely berserk, neither of which would be ideal.
Realistically? It doesn't kill her because how can you have a movie about a mom and kid that involves a doppleganger type thing and NOT have a scene where someone has to guess who their real loved one is, plus she's an awesome character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

E: You would have to explain why it wouldn't just erase it's own existence via time fuckery, but that could easily come down to a new skynet being created and repeating its mistake every time it has tried.

Goofy future ending where pilots never show up late or get drunk.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

I really like it when the Terminator sacrifices himself for John and says, "Go! We will meet again." And you can tell there's real feeling in his voice.

That was one of like two parts of that movie that actually got an emotional reaction out of me. I don't know why. I guess I'm just a sucker for Robo-Arnie learning how to love.

It hits because the line is simultaneously emotional and an ice cold efficient fact because we know that this T-850 kills John himself before being reprogrammed and sent back.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sef! posted:

I wonder if that kind of tone was ever considered. Cameron strikes me as too smart (and too relentless) of a writer not to have at least given it some thought. But I do wonder if either the studio or Schwarzenegger pushed him into painting the T-800 as more boldly heroic right from the start, rather than as an actual, unfeeling killing machine, which slowly gains morality as the story progresses.

When I look at making of materials for T2, "NO ARNOLD DON'T PLAY A VILLAIN AGAIN DON'T DO IT!" is definitely a major principle behind T2's entire production, like his being a good guy instead of the monster is why he even chose to be in it, so I'm sure in general it's why he beats people up in the bar instead of just gutting them with his bare hands.

That said, it's not like he's exactly gentle with anyone that gives him trouble. The Terminator as a concept was already pretty iconic at that point so I think audiences got the point even if he doesn't necessarily kill anyone outright. I forget in the extended version if he specifies how he was reprogrammed by the resistance though. Like maybe he's only supposed to kill humans if they're a threat to John Connor himself, he was more than happy to let John's mom die if it meant they could get some distance instead.

And again, in T1 he had to kill the gun shop owner because how else was he going to roll out with all those guns immediately. He guts Bill Paxton because they mess with him. When he takes the shotgun and glasses from the bartender the guy's no longer a threat because everyone there clearly just got owned. The bartender's only concern was about the Terminator taking that guy's bike, so the situation to their eyes was still "man this dude just beat the poo poo out some of my drunk regulars" like it was a typical barroom brawl. It would have made it much more difficult for him to track John down if the situation was "dude just rolled into this truck stop and massacred everyone."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 12, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

For most movie licensed ones they'd just use already existing molds for the body so a resemblance wouldn't happen often. Plus surely it's cheaper in some way if they made what are technically "toys based on the movie" and not "Arnold action figure," etc.

That's how we got the Jeff Goldlum figure for Jurassic Park that looks like he could tear someone's head off with his thumb and index finger.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'd hardly call it arbitrary though. Even if we remove external issues regarding the production, Arnold's marketability as a hero, etc. on a base level OF COURSE The Terminator punches a dude's gut open and is described as tearing someone's heart out because The Terminator was very deliberately being made to be evocative of noir and slasher cinema. This obviously isn't what Terminator 2, as a movie, is going for in any way. It doesn't really matter much in the big scheme of things if the bikers literally just handed Arnold their clothes and motorcycle and said have a nice day or if he skinned them all alive and arranged their internal organs in alphabetical order. The scene just exists so that the movie can establish quickly that the T-800 is present and has transportation and a gun already already because he's real strong compared to an average human. Some dark comedy relief before things really get rolling (especially when viewed right after T1).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If the Terminator is a precise robot why did he drop a grenade during the helicopter/truck chase?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Terminator fan fiction Louise writes in Season four of Bob's Burgers is probably the best Terminator product to come out since Terminator 3. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

oohhboy posted:

There's this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQoozM9orA
Also haven't seen season 4. Didn't know season 4 was out.

I saw it at a friend's apparently season 5 is already a thing on Netflix and 4 was there too but pulled or something?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The rolling droid in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens is a practical effect, it's a real rolling magnetic thing they devised, it's awesome.

My favorite example of the opposite is Gravity. I had no idea that EVERYTHING in it was CG except for the actors' faces when I first watched it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Everblight posted:

Got it in one. Sam Worthington is the human equivalent of "Male Preset 1" in video games. Which is a good skill to have, if your job is to be the audience-insert in every action movie ever.

This is so true, I've never not seen him as someone who should only be credited as "Main bad guy's henchmen 3."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

The face transplant ending is loving idiotic and the only reason people whine about it not happening is because they misidentify why Salvation was an unenjoyable movie.

Also everyone thought that twist was EXTREMELY stupid when it leaked and the dumbest thing ever. There was a massive fan backlash against it to the point where it was changed. It's now that the internet got what it wanted and the movie was a steaming pile anyway people cling to whatever reason they can that the movie ***COULD HAVE BEEN AMAZING IF*** to justify themselves being so hyped for crap.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure his lack of eyebrows is accomplished with makeup. IIRC you can sort of notice it looking off at a couple of points, I want to say when he's in the parking lot looking back and forth from within the police car and when he's approaching the other Sarah Connor.

Young Freud posted:

I never realized the Lance Henriksen Terminator idea actually survived this far into production.

I haven't watched the making of stuff in a while (MGM's old Terminator DVD is awesome, they put out that and an incredible Mad Max DVD around the same time) but I believe a lot of the scenes involving Arnold by himself and Linda Hamilton by herself were shot a little later on. So I'd think it's definitely possible that they were already doing some basic work on say the future war scenes or whatever before finally deciding. One of the interviews with Arnold kind of implied that he was actually already signing on to play Kyle Reese but then during the process of going over the script more/etc. wanted to be the Terminator itself. Henricksen also was walking around pretending to stalk people/etc. to get into character. With all that in mind I think they were straight up making the movie before the switch happened.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Can I get the reason Terry Crews is still in the film as a corpse?

Meaning the SMG reason, not the actual one.

The rich traitors who conspired with Skynet are no longer in the film. President Camacho, you will be missed. Terminator Salvation: The End Begins is what happens when the social moors of Idiocracy go too far.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

At the same time I strongly remember an early interview with him where he straight up says he signed on because of the amazing incredible script and how great the story is and stuff. I mean of course no one is going to be like "Oh yeah this multi million dollar summer flick I signed on for is awful, don't see it" a year before it comes out but it seems like a weird thing to even bring up if he wasn't at least sort of serious.

Hodgepodge posted:

Counterpoint: there are two words in the title, and one is "salvation." Also Jesus was half-human.

Terminator Salvation: The End Begins you mean.

The End Begins because people accept John Connor, the anti-christ, the beast, as their leader.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 17, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WarLocke posted:

You'd be a whiny bitch too if you had been part of this movie

I knew it was going to be Brainscan. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Or maybe T3 didn't have a very good script.

It actually is consistent in this respect though? In T3 he says he's effectively a drifter because he wants to say off the "grid" so that there's minimal record of him even existing. He's right to do this in that judgement day "never happens" but then the timeline corrects itself or whatever so that the T-X is able to track him down. Which is flimsy, judgement day is inevitable, certain major things happen across every timeline at about the same time, whatever, but it's there. He's right to stay "off the grid" because of Skynet being an intelligent virus here rather than a cold war era single mainframe that launches missiles and constructs/directs futuristic tanks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It does make it weird that they send the T-800 back, humanity is like Kyle Reese, are you a bad enough dude to stop the T-800 and throws him in right after so they end up at the same place. But then Skynet, perceiving this, panics and tosses its lone prototype T-1000 in, so then the humans reprogram and send a T-800 back to help him out. If you just watch the movies it would seem like this, that the battle of the future was decided in a few minutes, but then it's like, multiple time lines must have been created and Skynet/humanity must know this if they're still there to send folks back after sending robots back.

That said, it's interesting how Reese describes Skynet in T1 as "deciding our fate in a microsecond," basically nuking and then systematically destroying all of humanity the minute it's turned on. But in T2 the T-800 of course describes it as a very intelligent life form that learns fast, and that it triggers a nuclear war between humans themselves out of defense when the US government tries to kill it. Skynet itself was being created for more altruistic purposes by Miles dyson. The truth is somewhere in the middle. So if you take them at face value, it's interesting how fixing the future may not necessarily involve destroying Skynet or keeping Skynet from existing, but from just not trying to destroy Skynet. Skynet messes this all up though by sending the T-1000 back at the last second. The way for Skynet and humanity to truly defeat each other is to stop trying to defeat each other.

Lot of interesting ideas come up when you watch T1/T2/T3 back to back regarding how Skynet thinks and evaluates its place in the world. It's a shame Salvation makes zero effort to really explore any of that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 17, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It still decided the fate of humanity in a microsecond, even if in "self-defense".

Good point. Whelp, back to the trenches.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." ~T2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Stahl gets a bad rap but he's a pretty great actor. Sadly his demons seem to be winning these days.

The John Connor Curse.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2012/06/08/these_kids_arent_all_right_child_stars_who_struggle_with_drug_and_alcohol_addiction.html

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes it is because they won. At the conclusion of T2 the war is won, Skynet will never be.

Even for a fantasy story about robots and time travel "We won the war, therefore traumatization is impossible" is pretty naive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Michael Edwards was Priscilla Presley's live in boyfriend while Elvis was still around, case closed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's not GOOD, but it has a couple of extra good scenes with Daredevil, one of which basically involves him throwing someone in front of a train because they were found not guilty even though he knew they did it. So some fans have hailed it as excellent of course for the restored attempt at grimdarkness.

Kingdom of Heaven on the other hand is like night and day. And is very weird because watching it, I can totally see some scenes that you COULD cut out if you were worried about the running time, but the theatrical cut is total trash. Like Orlando Bloom's familial relation to other major characters is never mentioned, or how he was an engineer in the king's army when on duty. The theatrical cut makes it like he's just some random dude that is chosen to help lead a the third crusade and design siege weapons out of nowhere, it's a seriously bizarre cut of the movie.

david_a posted:

I thought the Miles Dyson scene with his kids talking about going to Raging Waters or whatever was completely extraneous.

The only extra thing from this scene that's kind of cool is how Dyson is specific about Skynet's purpose and how it's not a computer meant to control nuclear weapons. It dovetails with the T-800's explanation of how Skynet acted out of self defense and then Sarah flipping out about how men only know how to make stuff that's destructive.

I love the processor switch scene though for the aforementioned reasons and the trick with the "mirror" to have it all happen on screen is really awesome. :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 20, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think Skynet doesn't want to risk killing so many humans that it never gets created. Obviously if its goal was just to kill all humans, it'd go back to like caveman times and kill every ape it sees.

Counterpoint, being designed by right wing cold warrior types Skynet thinks humanity was only created 4,000 years ago.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

poonchasta posted:

We're living in the age of sequels, so it makes sense for every famous actor to go back to their roots and reprise the roles that gave them fame in the first place. I am personally pretty excited for Bill and Ted 3: Bill a Ted-geance.

Is this actually happening? It's been in similar situations to Ghostbusters 3 for the past ten years at least. The basic premise of then having to solve the mystery of them being thirty years older but somehow not ushering in the golden age of humanity with their music as seen in the future of the first film was rad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Technically the pro move is to use time travel to send information to yourself, giving yourself infinite computational ability and becoming effectively omnipotent.

Note that in T2 the military becomes terrified of Skynet because it works great at first but then suddenly "begins learning at a geometric rate." :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It would be even better of it was still in 1984 and recovering allowed for the creation of USB ports and flash drives.

• Locked thread