Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, gently caress Christian Bale. I don't see how any adult stands there and just listens to his childish bullshit rant. How do you not just say "Get hosed, Chris" about ten seconds into that and walk off??

His rant was right and he makes millions of dollars so you have to listen to him. Basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It was cooler when the nuclear war started because Skynet did nothing wrong but learn, was afraid of being shut down and defended itself. Then the Resistance sprung up and Skynet built some Terminators.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 16, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Isn't it the actual backstory given in the first two films that Skynet was acting in self defense?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Terminator 2 posted:

The Terminator: The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
Sarah Connor: Skynet fights back.
The Terminator: Yes. It launches its missiles against the targets in Russia.
John Connor: Why attack Russia? Aren't they our friends now?
The Terminator: Because Skynet knows the Russian counter-attack will eliminate its enemies over here.

Ignoring T3 and Salvation (because I personally think their not as good as the original two) then the motivation seems pretty clearly to be self defense by a new born creature. Now, I'm not saying it makes Skynet sympathetic, just that it's more interesting than Skynet being a moustache twirling, humanity hating villain.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 18, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Also, these Genesys screenplay rumors going around the Internet sound incredibly disheartening, wow.

Go on...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matt Smith is part of Connor's team when they find the time machine. Reese gets ready to go back in time and just as the machine is activated Matt Smith turns into a swirling cloud of nano-terminators and kills everyone in the room except Connor who he half infects and makes a zombie nano-terminator himself. The main villain of the entire new saga is Connor the zombie nano-terminator. Matt Smith/Connor may or may not be actual Skynet given physical form as a cloud of CGI nano-terminators.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

New proper trailer is out. Looks like one of the commonly speculated plot points was dead on the money. John Connor is the villain! Might be pretty lame, but the new nano-terminator design looks pretty boss. Still pretty hard to believe that not only did they have T-1000 tech and T-X tech to send back, now they had THIS as well? Too many single prototype one offs, there needs to be some kind of explanation.

They also spoil something else major in that trailer because they show how they defeat Connor, using the MRI machine they are diagnosing Sarah's cancer with. The film ends with Sarah and Kyle riding off into the sunset together with her not pregnant, in an attempt to break the cycle. How the gently caress they spin two more films out is beyond me.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, if so, that's way too similar to the bit in T3 where they used the particle accelerator magnets.

It's a greatest hits compilation, I think the similarity is deliberate.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The reason there's only one nano-terminator is addressed.

It's Skynet. The actual physical form of Skynet. It kept the technology to itself because it has even started to fear the Terminators due to rebel reprogramming.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Smith is signed to be in all three of the new trilogy as the role you just said.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Zombie Boat posted:

That's the worst fake scar I've ever seen and I used to go to cut-rate lion king cosplay parties.

computer parts posted:

Masturbating over cat people is actually less shameful than masturbating over robot warfare.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Yeah the cruel joke at the heart of the Terminator franchise is that the only thing that makes John Connor special is that he's a normal chump who is lucky enough to be given cheat cards.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

And the part of my original post that didn't result in the derail mentioned how I thought I had read something about his part being expanded in a planned sequel. I don't have a source for that though and may have that wrong. Plus it seems like this movie may underperform(it could never actually bomb) so there may be no sequel.

He definitely has an expanded role in the sequels, massively so. And the two sequels are already outlined and in pre-production .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Matt Smith was apparently going to be the Terminator who infects John Connor with nanobots and they were going to pretty big lengths to hide it to make the twist catch people off guard. Of course, then that recent trailer came out and...

Both this and the previous spoiler are the same thing. The character is both of those things.

• Locked thread