Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skydance paid a bucketload for the rights and they want to cash in as much as possible before they revert to Cameron in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kush posted:

I think the biggest reason they are hiding him from any promos is because MEGASPOILERS he is playing Skynet and it is really difficult to cut material for the trailer without spoiling that.

That's way cooler than him playing Future Soldier #11 or whatever it looked like his part was from the preview in Entertainment Weekly months ago. I hope this is true and since you've just seen the movie I trust you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AndyElusive posted:

That's way cooler than him playing Future Soldier #11 or whatever it looked like his part was from the preview in Entertainment Weekly months ago. I hope this is true and since you've just seen the movie I trust you.

That part was leaked early, along with the revelation that he's made of nanobots and some other stuff which hopefully isn't quite as dumb as it sounds.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Matt Smith was apparently going to be the Terminator who infects John Connor with nanobots and they were going to pretty big lengths to hide it to make the twist catch people off guard. Of course, then that recent trailer came out and...

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
Yo I just saw this and really liked it. It's fun. So gently caress you all.

SebastianK fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 14, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grendels Dad posted:

Mother of God. I try not to be too down on this but the idea of there being two more after this no matter what is hella depressing.
Why? Who cares? Worst case scenario, don't see the other sequels, pretend they don't exist, and then the movie rights revert back to James Cameron in 2019.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like Cameron will actually ever make another T film. He's too busy making lovely movies about blue aliens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well sure, if nothing else, the rights reverting back to him means no more lovely sequels (unless he farms it out to other directors I guess).

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

He's too busy making lovely movies about blue aliens.

I really hope these sequels flop.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Well sure, if nothing else, the rights reverting back to him means no more lovely sequels (unless he farms it out to other directors I guess).

I don't want any more Terminator movies. Even with Cameron. The story is so poo poo at this point that there isn't anything left to do with it. It's just loving boring garbage all the way through. (T1-T2 excluded)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I don't want any more Terminator movies. Even with Cameron. The story is so poo poo at this point that there isn't anything left to do with it. It's just loving boring garbage all the way through. (T1-T2 excluded)
I'm the kind of "fan" who'd rather have a bazillion more sequels even if 99% of them are poo poo. I'd rather people try new ideas and gently caress it up than never try at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rhyno posted:

Like Cameron will actually ever make another T film. He's too busy making lovely movies about blue aliens.

Is he really? It's been six years since the Blue Alien movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Arnie's 67, gotta get these in the can now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is he really? It's been six years since the Blue Alien movie.

He's filming 3 of them back to back right now (or in post production, but either way they're coming out Winter 2016-18).

e: Actually I'm off by a year.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 26, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Milky Moor posted:

Matt Smith was apparently going to be the Terminator who infects John Connor with nanobots and they were going to pretty big lengths to hide it to make the twist catch people off guard. Of course, then that recent trailer came out and...

Both this and the previous spoiler are the same thing. The character is both of those things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

I'm the kind of "fan" who'd rather have a bazillion more sequels even if 99% of them are poo poo. I'd rather people try new ideas and gently caress it up than never try at all.

If people tried new ideas, there wouldn't be a need for a bazillion Terminator sequels.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Xenomrph posted:

Why? Who cares? Worst case scenario, don't see the other sequels, pretend they don't exist, and then the movie rights revert back to James Cameron in 2019.

I'm quite good at not seeing movies I don't like, but they'll still hog some space in popular discourse no matter how lovely they are and I simply don't look forward to skipping so many discussions about how Terminator-y Terminator 6: DOS Strikes Back is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How can there be a new >90% superhero movie like every month including about loving ant-man, but they can't make a decent Terminator flick in 20 years. Goddamn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mobby_6kl posted:

How can there be a new >90% superhero movie like every month including about loving ant-man, but they can't make a decent Terminator flick in 20 years. Goddamn.

Adaptations, dude. They still have 60 years worth of material to pick from, whereas for Terminator sequels they just have mountains of cocaine and variations of the question "What if, like, this time they time-traveled really hard?"

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

Why do people hate on avatar? I like nothing more to sticking in the blu ray extended edition and just bask in a stories beautiful visuals for a few hours. It really is a glorious film.

I cannot wait for the sequels.

Great hearing positive reviews so far for the new terminator film, however that won't last long when the usual goons get into fights about who hates it more. Just like ask good films.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

It's easy to make a good film when it all boils down to superhero/x fights a villain or villains. Throw in a dash of 'will they won't they' romance and, bam, winner.

Terminator is, unfortunately for gently caress You It's Year-era of films, not quite so easy to piece together. T1 and T2 are basically complete things.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

If people tried new ideas, there wouldn't be a need for a bazillion Terminator sequels.
I meant new ideas within the Terminator framework but I didn't think I'd need to use such precise wording in my post. But we're on the internet so who knows I guess.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm quite good at not seeing movies I don't like, but they'll still hog some space in popular discourse no matter how lovely they are and I simply don't look forward to skipping so many discussions about how Terminator-y Terminator 6: DOS Strikes Back is.
I'm pretty sure all the Terminator talk will be confined to this thread

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

mobby_6kl posted:

Because it's easier to aim for mediocrity and succeed. When you make a film so inoffensive, you get your "it was okay, 3/5" reviews that all show as positive on RT or whatever. And all those superhero movies don't really have anything that "haunts" them in the past except shittier superheromovies. Movies like Terminator have goddamn masterpieces they are compared to, so it's inevitable you are running into disappointments. As I said, some (most) people are going to say Genisys was a piece of poo poo, but most people aren't going to say it was really mediocre. They tried something different, some of it works nicely, some of it fails, but I wasn't disappointed with it. It's the third best film in the franchise if that means anything to anyone. And I liked how it begins where the third ended.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Why do people hate on avatar? I like nothing more to sticking in the blu ray extended edition and just bask in a stories beautiful visuals for a few hours. It really is a glorious film.

Because it was done better the first time as Dances With Wolves.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Noah is a good recent example where it would have been so easy for the studio to have Russell Crowe star in a bland, predictable Bible adaptation, and it would have been a monster success without much effort at all. Instead they invested all that money in someone who wasn't going to play it safe, and they were punished for it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Saw this yesterday and it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. RIP Terminator franchise

Emilia Clarke is so bad as Sarah Connor it's not even funny. Arnold is just there for comedy.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

It was aggressively boring, insultingly manipulative, cardboard characters, and starred Sam Worthington among other things.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Worst thing about Avatar isn't that Cameron is making those instead of more Terminator (because like y'all said where else can you go with it) but that he never did that Battle Angel Alita adaptation he was always just about to do. Shame as that has tons of hyper violent robot action and dystopian landscapes for miles plus a ton of imagery in it was inspired by The Terminator and Hardware and Blade Runner anyway. Plus it inspired Cameron himself according to him along with other sci-fi stuff like Elysium. Cameraon was at one point even saying Avatar was like a test run for doing Battle Angel Alita. What could have been.

The ship has definitely sailed though as any Battle Angel movie now would be dismissed as hyper derivative like Dredd 2012.

oohhboy posted:

It was aggressively boring, insultingly manipulative, cardboard characters, and starred Sam Worthington among other things.

Did this dude just have like the greatest agent ever for two years or something?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Skilleddk posted:

Saw this yesterday and it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. RIP Terminator franchise

Emilia Clarke is so bad as Sarah Connor it's not even funny. Arnold is just there for comedy.

I know this movie will be dogshit but I'm still giving Arnold :10bux: because I like Arnold.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skilleddk posted:

Oh dear, I was hoping at least it was stupid fun. If Arnold couldn't save it :rip:. Really worse than Salvation?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Immortan posted:

I know this movie will be dogshit but I'm still giving Arnold :10bux: because I like Arnold.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a feeling Emilia Clarke might ruin this movie, she's so far from what Linda Hamilton did in T2 its ridiculous. Even just in the first trailer when I saw her firing a pistol it didn't look right, something was off about it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Basebf555 posted:

Noah is a good recent example where it would have been so easy for the studio to have Russell Crowe star in a bland, predictable Bible adaptation, and it would have been a monster success without much effort at all. Instead they invested all that money in someone who wasn't going to play it safe, and they were punished for it.

Noah is the first movie in a long, long time that had me so bored I turned it off. And it featured talking rock monsters!

You've got to do some serious loving up to make talking rock monsters boring.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wade Wilson posted:

Noah is the first movie in a long, long time that had me so bored I turned it off. And it featured talking rock monsters!

If the rock monster part is what had you bored it's probably best you didn't see the third act.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

oohhboy posted:

Oh dear, I was hoping at least it was stupid fun. If Arnold couldn't save it :rip:. Really worse than Salvation?
I don't want to defend the movie because I can see people not liking it (not my terminator!) but calling it one of the worst movies ever means they haven't seen that many movies and it's just tiring hyperbole, but this is the internet. There are shittier films playing in theaters right now. And nothing can be worse than Salvation. After that joyless piece of poo poo I'll watch Arnie being a punchline-terminator any day over it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

What. Now I need to see Noah.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

Its just interesting enough to get certain religious groups pissed off, but not quite good enough to overcome that and pull in the audience it needed to be the smash-hit it could have been. I love Arnofsky though and the film is beautiful to look at, so I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. A lot of the landscape shots remind me of the opening credits of Prometheus. It has a very pre-historical feel to it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 26, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AndyElusive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M59hlry5kOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IMBJyztU2Q

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Immortan posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why not just go blow poo poo up with him instead?

• Locked thread