Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Maybe it meant that Carling is the better beer, and as it's local, you don't have to travel far to foreign lands to find a superior beer, as you may think you have to if you assume foreign beers are better.

I just realized you probably got that but just thought it was a poorly worded slogan. Yes I can see how it causes confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Maybe it's not as bad as some of the other stuff in here, but this commercial just blows my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WrSI4sscQ

Why would you make a commercial about the one possible downside of your car's objectively good feature? Like, I get that it's a joke and all but making a commercial where the car owner is screwed over by the feature it's trying to advertise seems like bad marketing.

The guy in the comments getting really mad about the spoilers for a fake show is pretty good, though.

It's hardly a real downside. It's a joke downside which highlights the feature in a humorous way. You see the owner is "screwed over" by his passengers enjoying the wi-fi in the car so much they blurt out a spoiler for the Wizard Quest season finale. The ad makes it really clear what the feature is and how it would be useful, in a memorable way that's relevant to today's TV streaming society.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Basically whenever video game companies start becoming massive industry leaders they buy into the idea that since so many people liked what they did in the past they will like whatever they do because of the simple fact that they are doing it. But then the buying public has to remind them that they aren't loving David Bowie, they are a goddamn electronics supplier and no amount of horrendous "play it loud" style acid trips will make them cool enough to make the products not matter. Nintendo is basically the only videogame company that this has worked for and thats because they didn't try push it, they leveraged their properties that people loved (Mario, Zelda, etc) and said basically "those will be the same, but please trust us on this other poo poo" (IE motion control). Whether as Sony took a dominant #1 position in the market and instead of just trying to repeat what they had done previously (wide range of games of all different genres and types at many different price points or "the everymans gaming machine") they went for a strange artsy "premium product for cool adults" thing that put them way behind everyone else until they went back to pricing reasonably and investing in good games.

Nice theory except they were doing weird commercials even in the ps2 days which was by far the dominant console on the market.

e.g. this one by David Lynch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=168IdTntlwA

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

There are different ways to be racist and different cultures have different targets and stereotypes!

Wow how enlightening.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

During the Iraq War, a lot of New Zealanders started boycotting American products in protest. This led to a lot of companies removing "American" from the names of their products, and KFC temporarily rebranding itself as "Kiwi For Chicken!"

Now that we're buddy-buddy with the US again, they're all trying to pretend it never happened. Even google can't dredge up a single relevant "Kiwi For Chicken!" result, but it was everywhere at the time. It must have cost them millions in advertising.

I don't remember anything about a mass boycott of American products but companies like KFC are constantly changing their slogans and advertising campaigns, so I don't think it would have been a particular loss for them if they're constantly spending money on advertising anyway. It was just another in a long line of campaigns so I don't see why there would be anything about it on the internet now. Having said that it was kinda dumb I guess.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
"Janey I heard that you let that boy of the same age from McDonald's lean over the counter and kiss you on the cheek as payment for your chicken nuggets, is that true?"
"Yes Mom, he forced me to as part of a promotion, it was so socially awkward"
"That's it, i'm calling my lawyer. You're grounded for ten years, but the good news is we're going to be millionaires honey. They're just lucky there was no pedophilia involved"

I'm sure there will be strict rules about no physical contact of any kind to avoid that sort of controversial scenario.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I would prefer if the guy assembling my hamburger were not bumping fists with every person who walks into a McDonald's looking for free food all day long.

The people serving customers aren't the same people assembling the burgers in the back, did you not think that post through at all.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pentyne posted:

This McD "Lovin" campaign has the chance to go down as one of their worst ideas yet. You'd think the first rule of making a ad campaign would be in no way shape or form mandate or encourage physical contact between employees and customers or encourage people to waste time. I fully expect to see YouTube videos of people just demanding to be allowed to pay for their meal rather then engage some "Lovin Lead" in whatever the theme of the day is.

I'm 100% sure i will never see such a video because they obviously aren't going to disallow payment by money. I mean really. And look how the campaign is working already you're all talking about it and I bet most of you have already been in to Mcdonalds because it's been on your mind and making you hungry. Marketing genius.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

Good luck. Where else will you find another source for easy access to thousands of B-movies and a tiny rotating stock of anything you actually want to watch?

I'm not sure about this but I think Netflix does have a small selection of a few TV episodes as well as movies.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Wait, is that soup in an almost-bag? Or 'make-your-own' soup in an almost-bag?

Cause if it's the former, nobody wants soup in anything but a hard container or a bread bowl.

If it's the latter, why the gently caress would anyone want supermarket soup, hard mode?

Well what you do is, you pour the soup from the bag (it's not an "almost bag") into a bowl. It's not too difficult.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pentyne posted:

a greasy 38 year old dude telling a high school girl she has to hug him for free food is a sexual harassment suit waiting to happen.

Obviously things like that are not going to be part of the promotion. No marketing company is that stupid, come on.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Didn't you know that all millenials are required to pass a comprehensive course on "recognizing and deconstructing advertising techniques in the modern media landscape"?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I wasn't talking about the boomers though, I was talking about the "Greatest Generation," their parents. The people who lived through the depression and were middle-aged when America had its boom in the 50s. Their starting point is a closer analogue to the recession-impacted millennials, and I was speculating about whether the future would follow the same trajectory for us as it did for them, until some goony-goons noticed people were trying to have an adult conversation and lumbered in here to put a stop to it.

Yeah an adult conversation which involves insulting other posters penises, very adult discussion you are running here Tiny brontosaurus

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The trick to advertising to "millenials" is to get them to do their own advertising. If you have a distinctive or notable product, awareness can spread like wildfire through social media etc. The key is making the product worth talking about, giving it a hook, and starting the fire, so to speak, on the internet. Rather than bombarding the audience through traditional means, this way they will not feel like they are being sold to, but actually part of a trend they will want to buy into.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

When the first commercial for the new Chevy Colorado came out )the one with that terrible AC/DC song), I actually said to my wife, "Wow that is a nice looking truck, maybe I'll look into one when my current lease is up".

Then this happened during the Super Bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja18pGoch8M

gently caress. You. Chevy. No, seriously, gently caress you. This marketing is ridiculous. Only REAL MEN drive trucks? I liked your truck, but now I'm not even gonna consider it.

So you're not a real man then?

Seriously, if you're actually letting that stupid little ad sway you away from buying a truck you were otherwise considering, you're buying into that very same bullshit that you're so offended by.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

If some minimum wage register jockey starts to call me out on my manliness because I drive a Toyota, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Uh huh and what if it was a comedian giving you a gentle ribbing as part of an obviously light-hearted advertising campaign?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I don't know, i'd be happy enough with the free burger. Everyone in the ad was paid though, it's a television ad. They don't really make those with people straight off the street.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

In the EU and many other countries it has never come with a charger because of the electroic waste laws.

What is the specific law and what electronics does it apply to?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

How is that a trademark violation, though? He was playing a character in the Sony adverts, which was not the same character as that in the Bridgestone commercial.

Dude this is really really basic stuff. If you're in an ad for a company you absolutely can't be in another ad using the competitor's product. Simple as that, of course it doesn't matter if you're playing another character. This is all standard contractual stuff in any ad ever made. Also Nintendo and Sony are competitors, in that they are both video game companies.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Look, when a "trademark dispute" amounts to "well, we have no leg to stand on and also do not in fact own this trademark we are alleging we do but gently caress you we're taking you to court", I would argue that there is in fact no dispute. It's just Sony wagging its dick around because no one's going to bother calling them on it over something so inconsequential.

Dude there is not a company in the whole world who would not have taken the same legal action. This is such stock standard stuff it's hard to see what you don't understand about it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Bud light: ladies, drink this if you wanna get raped

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I went to see Deadpool at the cinema recently (and it was pretty great, BTW), but it did remind me why I haven't been to the cinema in a long time before that. I got a good seat, but there were people paying $20 to sit way off to the side or practically right underneath the screen - the cinema I went to had assigned seating but the ticket price is the same regardless of which seat you get - or right next to some obnoxious stranger. And if you want an actually comfortable seat in a less crowded cinema where you can buy drinks then you pay double. For the price of seeing one movie in comfort I could get Netflix for four months. How is this still a viable business model?

Because the latest movies aren't out on Netflix and won't be for a while after the cinema release, if at all. When a movie does show up on Netflix it's probably been available on demand long before that for a fee. Also the experience of the big screen and big sound is still miles better than watching at home or on your phone or whatever. Also for some people going out to see a movie is part of a social activity which is obviously a different kettle of fish to just sitting at home.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

It feels weird to have decades-old media rehashed and re-purposed with the original actors just to get you to buy a drat car. All that work that goes into it, the campaign pitch, the budgeting, the contracting, the rights acquisition from Konami, the recording, the editing, etc. It's a ton of thought and effort to produce something....dumb.

Please also understand that "dumb" isn't always a negative thing. I love lots of dumb things.

I would imagine it was a lot cheaper and easier than filming a whole new commercial. It's a really good idea, really well done. If there was an actually pretty cool moves in marketing thread this whole series would belong in it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

You're interpreting it as "Payday means you can afford to eat really fancy food like Burger King!" No worries, I'm reading it as "It's pay day, so you can afford to eat at all!" :)

:smith:

It's saying you can buy a decent amount of food for a cheap price, even if it is not payday, i.e. on payday you might buy a lot of food because you have funds available, but with these cheap prices you can buy a lot of food with whatever funds you have available on any day, be it payday or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Do people realize that donor status or whatever doesn't mean anything and the final decision is made by the dead person's next of kin.