Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's saying soon you are going to murder your teenage daughter. Cremate her here, we don't ask questions.

edit: what an excellent way to start the new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Troll post I know, but it still bugs me.

Just because it "gets people talking" doesn't mean its "good marketing". Look at how much the Go Daddy commercial was talked about. How many of us are now thinking of doing webhosting because of the commercial? Probably 0.

Now, getting your name EVERYWHERE is useful because it legitimizes a brand, but the commercial itself doesn't' mean it was successful in pushing business to the location.

I say this as someone who is pretty upset with his companies marketing strategy of GET IT EVERYWHERE that has the same mindset and its to their detriment.

The point of GoDaddy commercials isn't to get you thinking about webhosting. It's so that when you do think about webhosting you use GoDaddy because you can't think of anything else.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They have this on their Facebook page

Your guess is as good as mine

I think they're trying to go for the message that everybody is getting older? The going uphill part obviously refer to how old folks would reminisce of the 'good old days' when they had to walk 5 miles to school uphill everyday... in the snow.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Luckyellow posted:

I think they're trying to go for the message that everybody is getting older? The going uphill part obviously refer to how old folks would reminisce of the 'good old days' when they had to walk 5 miles to school uphill everyday... in the snow.

Yeah but they are still trying to tie cremation services to pictures of little kids, and that's hosed up no matter what they are trying to do with their sweet image macros.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It seems a bit skeevy to plan the funeral for someone younger than you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tracula posted:

There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to start.
It's a modern take on Danse Macabre. Why are everyone PBFing so hard?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Euphoriaphone posted:

I can't wait to stand in line behind someone that is trying to get their partner on the phone

I can't wait to burst out crying when they ask me to call my mom to say how much I love her, when she died a horrific death from cancer a few months ago. This idea is terrible.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I know for a fact that I'd hop up and down on one foot for a Klondike bar, so I imagine I'd be willing to fake the capacity for real human emotions in exchange for a big Mac.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

It's a modern take on Danse Macabre. Why are everyone PBFing so hard?

Why do you keep including links to unrelated YouTube videos in all your posts?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I know for a fact that I'd hop up and down on one foot for a Klondike bar, so I imagine I'd be willing to fake the capacity for real human emotions in exchange for a big Mac.
When i was in college Burger King gave me a free Whopper for unfriending 10 people on Facebook.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/are-facebook-friends-worth-their-weight-in-beef/

Wandle Cax posted:

I don't remember anything about a mass boycott of American products but companies like KFC are constantly changing their slogans and advertising campaigns, so I don't think it would have been a particular loss for them if they're constantly spending money on advertising anyway. It was just another in a long line of campaigns so I don't see why there would be anything about it on the internet now. Having said that it was kinda dumb I guess.
Here in the US we have a Wikipedia page to remind us of the idiocy of French Fries to Freedom Fries because the people of France were way ahead of the curve on recognizing what a terrible idea it was to invade Iraq.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm 100% sure i will never see such a video because they obviously aren't going to disallow payment by money. I mean really. And look how the campaign is working already you're all talking about it and I bet most of you have already been in to Mcdonalds because it's been on your mind and making you hungry. Marketing genius.

Can we please stop these kinds of posts? I don't care if it's a good or bad marketing ploy. I only care if the ad campaign is/looks bad. The McDonald's campaign looks really stupid so I like laughing at it, I don't care about your pseudo-psychological reasons for why it's actually A Good Campaign. Same with GoDaddy, it's a weird commercial, and I don't care if it wins them a few customers. It's still weird.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Pondex posted:

So the Impact font is a thing outside of the internet now?

That feels a little icky somehow.

I saw a no-name ATM once and it said GET MONEY HERE in impact font over a stock photo of cash

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I, for one, can't wait to be creeped out by a man twice my age demanding that I pay for my quarter pounder via "Lovin'".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This whole thing reminds me of Friendlys death spiral where they wanted their servers to get 5 million hifives from customers and their business imploded faster because they didn't realize the majority of people have negative interest in interacting with server especially pressured physical contact

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

It's saying soon you are going to murder your teenage daughter. Cremate her here, we don't ask questions.

edit: what an excellent way to start the new page.

It's saying "wow she's growing up fast, soon she'll be a teenager and then before you know it she will be wasting away with alzheimers in an old folk's home. Better start preparing now!" Nothing to do with death happening in her teens, same with the other one which is reminding you that one day your kids will be old and you won't be around to care for them or prepare their funeral services or whatever. I think it's just aimed at smothering and neurotic parents.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Neurion posted:

I've gotta go watch the Freelance Astronauts LP of this again.

As someone who was distinctly curious about the game when I first heard about it, I'm going to suggest pretty much any other person's LP over the FA one. Two (three?) guys who don't know what they are doing, rambling constantly, talking over the game, and jokes that'd make a redditor blush for being childish.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

As someone who was distinctly curious about the game when I first heard about it, I'm going to suggest pretty much any other person's LP over the FA one. Two (three?) guys who don't know what they are doing, rambling constantly, talking over the game, and jokes that'd make a redditor blush for being childish.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Reminds me of this old internet story

quote:

This girl came up to me at a gas station and told me she ran out of gas and asked me if I'd give her five dollars. I told her I'd give her ten, but she had to trade me for a hug. When she hugged me I whispered, "You're a whore now."

I like helping people.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

you're just bitter your parents named you Apetit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Wasn't Hetalia originally made as a parody? I remember reading somewhere that the creator said "I'm going to make the most offensive and ridiculous thing I can, and there's no way people will miss the gag" then everybody missed the gag and he was kinda just rolling in money at that point so he kept going with it.

No

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alouicious posted:

you're just bitter your parents named you Apetit

1000 years of technology and culture so you could yell "MisterBibs" into a tiny blue microphone.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Dropbear posted:

What is really loving hilarious to me is how bad YouTube advertisements are, at least here in Finland. Even if you don't use adblock you can usually skip the ad after 5 seconds, which is what most people do. So, logically, you should try to ram the important bits (your product / company name at the very least) into those first five seconds, right? Nope! Everyone puts the weirdest poo poo that has nothing to do with the advertised thing at the start!
This is a goddamn old post, but what the hell, I thought I'd reply to it.

The best (and by "best", I mean "worst") example of this that springs to mind was an advert that I saw on YouTube for BMW.

I only know it was for BMW because I was so dumbfounded by how bad the first 5 seconds were, that I had to let it play to find out just who commissioned the ad.

What was in the crucial first 5 seconds of this 20-30 second ad for the ultimate driving machine?

Nothing.

At all.

Just a black screen, with some sort of low rumble on the soundtrack that wasn't even a car engine or anything.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Look at the left side: it's a yearbook. At least at my high school, they funded things partly by letting people buy ads, which were primarily business owners showing off how adorable their graduates were back in the day, also please consume my product. Just usually it's "congratulations, Offspring Name, we harbor affection for you" and then the company logo. When you try to mix in a clever line (and your business is not exactly celebration-friendly), you get this.

So most likely the young lady in the picture is now thoroughly humiliated and hopes when meeting a person that they don't say, "Hey, aren't you the girl from that baffling crematorium ad on the internet?"

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Similar to the people who make ads to play on youtube not putting any vital information before the skip mark, Pandora's ads drive me crazy with how much of a waste they are. Pandora is essentially a radio app, in that people put it on and usually walk away from it, or have it on while driving or doing other work. I can't recall a time that I ever pulled up Pandora (online or mobile) and actually attended to it. You put it on, the music starts playing, and you pretty much never look back at it unless you want to skip a track or station.

So why, why, why are a significant portion of the ads VIDEO ads with no voice-over, just random music?? Do the ad people think that people just sit and watch Pandora's screen until a video ad pops up? Do they not understand that the ad format should be in the traditional radio style? So many of the video ads on there never even say the product name. It's just baffling and annoying.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I love pay services having ads and commericals. Wasn't one of the initial main draws of satellite radio no commercial interruption?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I love pay services having ads and commericals. Wasn't one of the initial main draws of satellite radio no commercial interruption?

I like Hulu where it has commercials always and forever. Have a free account? You can only watch these shows and they have commercials. Have a paid account? You can watch all shows with commercials. At least give the free shows no commercials.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pandora is free, and you get no ads if you pay (or use adblock).

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Only free Pandora has ads. Paid Pandora is ad-free and great.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I seem to remember Xbox Live being like this with Gold. Even paying about 60bux a year it crammed your dashboard full of ads for poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

I seem to remember Xbox Live being like this with Gold. Even paying about 60bux a year it crammed your dashboard full of ads for poo poo.

It's not really the same thing, though. No one's paying money for Live Gold for the sake of getting rid of a couple ads, so no one really cares if they put them there. What did suck is having to buy online passes for games if you had the gall to buy the games pre-owned, but that was a DRM thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fortunate Son is brought up as a misused song that Conservatives use, but its actually perfect. Its about rich kids who got out of Vietnam through their connections, which discribes most of the chicken hawks that make up the GOP.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Double Plus Good posted:

Similar to the people who make ads to play on youtube not putting any vital information before the skip mark, Pandora's ads drive me crazy with how much of a waste they are. Pandora is essentially a radio app, in that people put it on and usually walk away from it, or have it on while driving or doing other work. I can't recall a time that I ever pulled up Pandora (online or mobile) and actually attended to it. You put it on, the music starts playing, and you pretty much never look back at it unless you want to skip a track or station.

So why, why, why are a significant portion of the ads VIDEO ads with no voice-over, just random music?? Do the ad people think that people just sit and watch Pandora's screen until a video ad pops up? Do they not understand that the ad format should be in the traditional radio style? So many of the video ads on there never even say the product name. It's just baffling and annoying.

I originally liked the Pandora ads where the advertising company set up their own stations. It's a touch that works, it shows they actually know the system they're advertising with, and actually do something to add to it in a meaningful way. I'm not listening to Pandora for a workout, so I don't care about this health insurance's ad that offers different playlists for different types of workout, but it's basically the perfect way to advertise on Pandora.

...Except that the phone app (or at least the one I use) has the jankiest loving touch controls and the smallest 'close ad' button, so I've managed to accidentally open the advertiser stations more than I've ever avoided them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Hey so uh, guess what you shouldn't do in your ad.

Talk about a dead kid.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If you're old as dirt like me, you might remember that cable television's initial draw was having no ads. That lasted about five years.

It always happens. Netflix has been focus grouping different ad schemes for the past few years so expect that coming down the pipe.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Danger Mahoney posted:

If you're old as dirt like me, you might remember that cable television's initial draw was having no ads. That lasted about five years.

It always happens. Netflix has been focus grouping different ad schemes for the past few years so expect that coming down the pipe.

They do ads I'm going back to piracy. That's why I pay them its easier than piracy and legal and no ads.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haruharuharuko posted:

They do ads I'm going back to piracy. That's why I pay them its easier than piracy and legal and no ads.

Good luck. Where else will you find another source for easy access to thousands of B-movies and a tiny rotating stock of anything you actually want to watch?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Fortunate Son is brought up as a misused song that Conservatives use, but its actually perfect. Its about rich kids who got out of Vietnam through their connections, which discribes most of the chicken hawks that make up the GOP.

Yeah, but the narrator is describing how he isn't one of those people and the people using it as an anthem likely see themselves as the salt-of-the-earth everyman described in the song.

What's actually funny about it is that John Fogerty is a huge liberal who grew up in Southern California and most of CCR's music completely and purposely appropriated the sound of a region he'd never even really been to. He's like the Iggy Azalea of southern rock.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

Good luck. Where else will you find another source for easy access to thousands of B-movies and a tiny rotating stock of anything you actually want to watch?

I'm not sure about this but I think Netflix does have a small selection of a few TV episodes as well as movies.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Yikes. I read this as "You will want to kill her soon enough. When you do remember us!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I made the horrible mistake of listening to the Shakira station on Pandora one time, and forever after that 80% of my ads have been in Spanish no matter what I'm listening too.

Anyway, does anyone remember those anti smoking ads where the cigarette becomes flaccid, implying a connection between ED and smoking? My friend doesn't remember them.