Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

AgentF posted:

Possibly worth pointing out that America is not the name of a country?

Yeah it is, just like our southern neighbor's name is Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hesperian.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I buy the $10 headphones at the checkout line at walmart so I don't have to worry about losing or breaking them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Some movie about gladiators(...Gladiator maybe?) had a scene of the main character endorsing products cut for fear of being unrealistic despite that in fact being a common practice in real life Rome.

Yeah, it was Gladiator. The real gladiators not only shilled for products, they had action figures made of them for the kids (complete with accessories like the gladiator's preferred weapon), and had their stats posted in newsletters distributed throughout the Empire.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

The fear and fascination of cuckoldry by men of darker complexion goes back at least as far as Shakespeare, as far as I can personally attest and cite, and I suspect "cuck" has been an insult to men as long as men have walked the Earth and felt that women were property. I am confident a classicist can probably tell us the first time it appears in literature (it's probably related to the Maenads, if I had to guess, since they were the free-spirited cult of Dionysius)

"Unis (Pharaoh, ~2400 BC) has appeared as Sobek, Neith's son. Unis will eat with his mouth, Unis will urinate and Unis will copulate with his penis. Unis is lord of semen, who takes women from their husbands to the place Unis likes according to his heart's fancy."

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Aug 14, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Croccers posted:

A Walmart spokesperson told Orlando Weekly the display is being taken down. :911:

tribute2.wmv

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

A 2001 NTSB study found that plane crashes have a 95.7% survival rate.

A 9.11% survival rate?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm cool with commercializing Christmas because that's a made up pagan holiday.

Just lol if you don't celebrate the birthday of the Unconquered Sun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gum posted:

Or, y'know, The Time Machine by H G Wells

That's nothing like Zeal or the Jetsons. If you're gonna try the smug literary reference, maybe read the book first?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Eloi don't live in splendor, though. They're barely-sapient cattle the Morlocks kill for meat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The insistence that "retard" is so horrible to be "the R-word!!!!" is really strange.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

...is Iceland not considered part of Europe?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

gently caress you say?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

You have to shoot down five sexhavers to be a verified ace

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Would you try to sell milk by showing a guy in a white polo shirt and khaki pants giving the OK sign while drinking it?

...yes? Why not?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Red on black, venom lack. Red on yellow, kill a fellow.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

We have decided what is wrong, and we shall impose it onto all nations no matter their own heritage or traditions. Purely in the name of raising them from the darkness they don't understand they are in, of course.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Panfilo posted:

It can get messy. The pods are self contained. My banana hands can't deal with byzantine laundry alchemal powders.

:agesilaus:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Remind people that pink was seen as a manly colour for kids because it was a lighter shade of red, the colour of blood, and that purple was a sign of high rank in the Roman Empire.

Even owning an article of purple clothing was grounds for execution in the Roman Empire. Purple was so rare it was reserved for the Emperor and his closest family - if you owned purple clothes, you were making a claim on the throne.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

This would still be a 100% gender role conforming color for dudes to wear today, dude.

pls dont doxx me

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Wouldn't be hard to do, maybe a story about a a guy that always wanted to be a princess and makes a Faustian bargain with the villain to become a woman and a princess and the twist being that she was meant to be a princess all along but the villain hexed the mom to make the person biologically male for ~reasons~.

Caeneus. Born Caenis, she gets raped by catches the favor of Poseidon, who asks her what gift he could grant. She asked to be made a man, and Poseidon agreed and than also made him invulnerable, so Caeneus goes off and busts heads around Greece as a hero.

Then you can end with the Centauromachy, where he killed six centaurs to rescue a wedding party.

"Despite his success in battle, another Centaur, Latreus, chided Caeneus for having been born a woman. Caeneus would throw his spear at Latreus, but his aim was slightly off, and only grazed the Centaur. Latreus himself would throw his own lance at Caeneus, but despite Latreus hitting Caeneus in the face, the lance caused the Lapith no injury, for Caeneus’ impenetrable skin protected him.

Latreus would close in on Caeneus to use his sword, but neither thrust nor blow could harm Caeneus, and indeed the sword of Latreus would fracture through the effort. Caeneus then took up his own sword, and thrust it easily into the side of Latreus; Caeneus killing his sixth Centaur."

Unable to injure him, the centaurs instead buried him under trees and rubble, but the gods turned him into a beautiful tawny bird and he escaped.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's the South in 1950, they didn't have to have sneaky subtle plausibly-deniable racist imagery.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Has anybody made the 2001 Monolith with it, and if not, why not?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The intent was probably to encourage everybody to help others and be humane but making the model a black woman while saying be more human and let people stand on you is...wowee.

The quote is from the black woman in the picture.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's really the thing that gets me in all of this; it could all be avoided by literally just putting it on a table in front of like four black people and being all "hey my dudes, how does this read to you?" If they go "yeah that could be read in a pretty racist way" then you don't put it out. It isn't complicated.

This should be standard practice.

It also seems completely mental that you have to check if putting a black female activist's inspirational quote next to her picture is going to have people read it as racist.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's fair.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Europeans definitely traded AIDS quilts to the native population to make the process go faster. They knew what they were doing.

That was in 1763, at an English fort in what is now Pennsylvania.

The plagues that ripped through the Americas killing off ~90% of the pre-Columbian population occurred centuries beforehand, almost immediately after contact in the 1490s. There's no evidence of the Spanish using biological warfare at that time, just showing up was enough.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

a decade or so ago (white) American food knowledge, tastes, and GI tracts were very very bland and things that werent (table)salt or black pepper were thought to be weird and exotic(Emeril's bam thing with cayenne pepper comes to mind) so eating something with actual spices and seasoning did a number on white people for a few years.

In the North, sure.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

flatluigi posted:

basically the general community sentiment is to want having sensory processing issues to be treated as something like being deaf or being in a wheelchair

...something that sucks and should be cured?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

More like oldgoldbondless

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

Tell that to a screaming kid who is disrupting the show for every one. Yes, discipline your kids better

Or have some courtesy and don't go in the first place.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Helith posted:

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta “hand it to the Belgians”.

:yikes:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

What does that even mean? I’m picturing you dumping your fries on the ground and feeding on them without using your hands, all while grunting like a hog.

Geez with the doxxing

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

How the hell does Taco Bell of all places make such a drat good fast food breakfast?

The breakfast crunchwrap is the pinnacle of the fast food breakfast arms race. It's their moon landing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

here's the thing though: other directions didn't start being bad until our direction insisted it was the only, nay, the One Direction.

Bullshit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Segmentation Fox posted:

That's not smoke, it's steam!

From the steamed clams!

goddammit

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Literally a GTA joke

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SerialKilldeer posted:

I definitely wouldn't trust the Roman gods with my corpse.

:kratos:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pick posted:

okay see even this is a bizarre read on TOS and I am wondering if you've watched it recently

The idea of TOS as "swaggering space captain, etc" is probably how it gets reconciled with conservatives, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Sulu thing is mostly just weird because he was straight in the original timeline and he was already born when the Narada arrived.

Time-travelling spaceships make you gay.