Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

quote:

With women now having the gall even to drink pints (of Guinness!), you have to agree with one respondent who said, ‘There aren’t many things a man can look at and say, “that’s for me”.’” (Marketing Communications)

Haha what. I'd argue that in most circumstances stuff is marketed to men, or at least with a bias towards men.

I'm probably just an idiot but I wish more stuff like bodywash and shampoo, and products in general were marketed gender neutral. I feel dumb buying the "FOR MEN" stuff, but half of the other stuff seems flowery or for dandruff/specific needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Nando's seems like a legitimately insane company. I'm genuinely surprised we don't have something that matches it in the USA>

I'm pretty sure it is in the states, or at least some of my American friends seemed familiar with the name. We also have it here in Canada too. It's almost weird because I never heard of it till last year, and now I'm seeing Nandos branded sauce in grocery stores and "TV" ads on the Canadian comedy central video player.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I am just thinking to myself "really...this is such an obvious click bait"...then I see it actually WORKS. Maybe its like the freemium game thing where most people ignore them, but that small 5% of loyal people click and click and click and click and are the cash cow, so now the rest of us have to wade through bullshit because that 5% demographic makes them all their money.

I have to believe/assume this is the case for all sorts of terrible pop up ads and bullshit email adverts. It costs next to nothing (compared to print ads) to run them and just hope for hits.

I think the Happy Meal Character is pretty weird, and slightly superfluous, but not exactly a bad idea. Happy Meals/The happy meal box are pretty iconic - I know as a kid my fast food place of choice was McD's - half because of the happy meal, half because they had better fries then anyone else. Burger King was just lame by comparison. I think they had something like a kids meal, but it sure as hell wasn't anywhere as memorable. Doesn't help I've never like their food either.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like the trademark beside each and every name, like they were totally going to take off and be the next thing. Totally gives me ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL vibes.

Also they make me think of those Mr. Men characters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of annoying marketing gimmicks.

I've always disliked adverts that sink to saying their competitor is poo poo. On one hand you have the ones that just say "blah blah % better then the leading brand..." or "better then the other guys" or "better then the generic brand"

On the other, you have the ones that name a specific other product. Pepsi is probably the biggest offender with those commercials of Einstein or some other famous person wondering what soda drink, only for a little girl in his mind to pop up and say "Duh" and make him buy a Pepsi. Or whatever the crap it was. I just remember for a period every of their commercials pretty much boiled down to "COKE SUCKS DRINK PEPSI!" Where every Coke commercial was happy people drink coke or polar bears.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jisae posted:

my boyfriend's younger sister who just reached drinking age has no concept of data usage. The entire family has a 10gig a month plan, shared between 4 people. On multiple occasions the sister has racked up, by herself, 9gigs well before the month was up, much to the irritation and wonderment of everyone in the family. She just goes "oops!" and asks to use "just one more gig" by promising her dad $10 as if data usage were some kind of parking meter ... To her it's this magical machine that she can use to look at inspirational "keep calm and..." pictures and send goofy duck faced pictures to her friends for hours without thought. She is just a personal account, but I also see this soo often everywhere. These are the kinds of millennials that this new kitschy marketing is aimed towards.

I mean, data caps are kind of a new "invention" that are sort of a load of horse poo poo? Home internet for a long time didn't have caps, or had caps that were pretty drat hard to hit. Data isn't like gas, it doesn't just run out - you're artificially limited according to your plan, and it's not immediately easy to see how much you have left, say like a battery life is. I mean, the fact you pay for usage kinda seems it's exactly like a parking meter...just that companies would rather charge you a lot for overuse rather then letting you buy extra data at a reasonable before the fact. (Because they'd rather you pay for a bigger plan.)

I mean, as a kid did you have a full grasp as to how TVs work? Or more specially, a cable bill? PPV? I'm pretty sure a lot of people grew up with TVs as "magical machines" in the same way kids see/treat smartphones and tablets.

Also, companies totally pray on this sort of thing - namely all the brags of "unlimited" usage plans.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

The kind who drives?

Seriously radio is not a media form that will ever die out as long as we have ears and a requirement to use our eyes on something else.

I imagine this is going to go down as cars with smartphone/ipod/etc hook-ups get more common (and become the kind of car that gets handed down)

But even then I guess you have satellite/web radio?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Saw this quote in an article:

quote:

Hopkins defended the adware, saying that it “helps users find and discover products visually” and “instantly analyzes images on the web and presents identical and similar product offers that may have lower prices."

A dumb move in marketing: Insisting that people want ads shoved in their faces more. I'm pretty sure Hopkins would not enjoy people paying a visit at his house to "help him discover products visually."

In general is there some sort of parasite or mental illness that makes advertisers think they're doing society a favor? I can accept the subtly, trickery or maybe some sleezyness of advertising, but to try to pretend it's something people like just seems nuts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Croccers posted:

Gawd I love it when I hear this :allears:
:arghfist::qq::Those drat employees eating up all of our profits. If only they'd just work for less money this wouldn't be a problem! It's entirely the employees sending this company down the toilet.

Ugh, I really hate that people literally have this mentality against raising minimum wages/giving living wages. If a business can't afford to pay fair wages, how is it a viable business?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I had to buy something from behind a glass wall in electronics so I was like waving my hands around going "HELLOOOOO" and nobody came, so I went and stood behind the register in electronics where customers aren't supposed to be shouting "Hello, I'm doing something I'm not supposed to, somebody please come here and stop me" and still nothing.

I've heard of understaffed before but that's just ridiculous. :psyduck:

For the most part my local Walmart doesn't seem too bad for staffing, or at least they're keeping registers well-staffed - but I have had similar headaches at the electronics section, the annoyance is amplified because they have 3rd party dudes selling cellphone plans that can't help me because they aren't actually walmart employees. I get that, but one time there was loving three of these guys yucking it up and not a single actual Walmart employee to be found.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

This Enrique meme is great :allears: I know an Enrique. I can't help but think of him in all this.

Where did it start/whats the story behind it? Been following the thread on and off and missed where it started.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

porkswordonboard posted:

Hey Bast Relief, I feel your pain. I don't have cable and watch everything either through Netflix or simply the bowels of the internet, so I hardly ever see ads. I find it super grating and annoying when I can't avoid them, to the point of going out of my way to find links elsewhere even when, say, AMC has the episode I want on their website but with an ad every 5 goddamn minutes. I'll literally take a step down in video/audio quality for the simple pleasure of watching what I want straight through without being bombarded by bullshit.

Same-ish. Only time I really see cable is when I visit my folks at the holidays. It always feels stunning just how lame some advertising comes off, or seeing the same ad multiple times in a single break, or the commercial for some medication that spends more then half of the commercial with a narrator voice over talking about side effects or consulting a doctor first. Or those times where you get a commercial break, 2 minutes of the movie, and then another full commercial break. :psyduck:

Netflix has really spoiled me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Didn't realize the FO4 protag was a war vet, I thought it was just supposed to be some suburban dad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

iunno, seems like a pretty simple commercial concept "all this stuff fits into this device"

"our thing is better then all that other garbage" has literally been an advertising tact since I was a child.

Where were all these people when pepsi was telling me I'm an idiot if I drink coke? Or Sega and Sony for saying im gay baby for liking Mario?

ishikabibble posted:

Also basically everything in it was shown to be working so. Yeah they just crushed a bunch of real stuff someone would've probably liked :v:

I only skimmed the ad, it looks like they were crushing a bunch of poo poo with a comically and unrealistically large press. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a lot of fakery and special effects that amounted to a lot less real poo poo being busted up then you think. Same way advertisements make fake food so it looks better on camera then the real thing, they probably had a lot of fake poo poo so it looked more exciting when getting smushed.

Oxyclean has a new favorite as of 18:12 on May 9, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/asallen/status/1788428991118164356

Apple didn't even make an original ad for people to be mad at lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

The difference being one is a cartoonishly presented smashing of a bunch of mass produced stuff by a bland phonemaker, vs destroying stuff deliberately chosen and presented as being those last handcrafted items than can express and evoke things that robots and computers can't. By a company that always pushed itself as the friend of the artist and creative.

If you don't get why that difference matters, then you just ain't gonna get why people might get angry about it.
There's a drumkit and a violin in the LG one. Did the apple ad enumerate how each item was hand chosen from some special collection or something?

It just feels like someone saw a tweet complaining about the Apple ad phrased much similar to your post and went "hmm yes, this is how I too feel" rather then seeing it like every other ad and going "hm yes, they smashed all that stuff together into a device." or maybe otherwise going "I can't believe they ruined all that stuff for an ad"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Let me rephrase: do you think artists might interpret the ad differently than you, the guy who invoked "well, people are talking about it"?

As an artist, most of the art Im going to make is going to be through a computer because that's easier and more accessible to me. I've honestly been considering getting an ipad because that might be a convenient way to do my digital drawing without needing to sit at my desk. (But I probably wont because they're expensive as gently caress and I wont end up doing it as much as I think I would.)

Maxwell Lord posted:

It doesn't help that there are a lot of people in a lot of tech companies basically gunning for artists' livelihoods now (even though it's at least partly snake oil).

I do think the whole AI bullshit perhaps puts it in a different light for some though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

someone awful. posted:

i don't think it's weird, in a moment where capitalism and AI bullshit are literally destroying and computerizing the jobs of actual artists, for artists to get mad about seeing the tools of their trade destroyed and computerized to sell a product

but there's literally a massive amount of digitized and computerized tools that artists use

Like apple products are already pretty well know for being artist aligned?