Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spog posted:

I don't believe she is a flight attendant
I don't believe she is a gamer
I don't believe she made that PC
I don't believe MSI. Good job guys

I don't believe that's her voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tempest_56 posted:

6) To this point, now five days later, they have remained utterly silent on the subject. Not even a "We are aware of the complaints" statement. Again, this is their big second anniversary event which is coming out after multiple weeks of build-up and coincides with a major sale and a player-grabbing free week. And they have been almost entirely silent.

To be fair, they did make a statement. It was pretty much "wow, you guys seem kinda mad, but we have 10 days of patches to push, so let's talk later maybe?". On the one hand, I can absolutely understand that they don't want to derail the entire event in order to run damage control (or literally can't in a all-hands-on-deck kind of way), but on the other hand the studio seems to pretty consistently lack contingency plans and has brushed things off before by promising to re-examine them in the nebulous "later" so people's expectations are already low.

This is on top of the fact that they're plainly struggling to push 10 consecutive updates, even with easy filler days. Game's been outrageously buggy and the massive weapon rebalance is a nonsensical mess. Those two issues are being largely overshadowed by the dumb microtransactions, but it means that even if you don't care about that shitstorm, the game is still in a bit of a sad state.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tempest_56 posted:

Did they give a statement? I'm guessing Twitter? (Should really get one some day.) Still, that's not much of a response. And this is a situation where they should be running damage control. They've at minimum had weeks to prepare, even best-case scenarios for introducing new monetization schemes are rough, and... just wow.

It was part of Day 4's announcement in the Steam group. I'm willing to cut them a tiny bit of slack for a genuine bottleneck, but I suppose one could also just as readily point out that they seem really tangled up by a 10 day event that they were solely responsible for planning in the first place.

There's also a remote possibility that they scheduled things in an exceedingly dumb way and there's more coming in future days that might change the picture. LMGs were rebalanced on the first day with the rest of the weapons, but they didn't add the bipods that gave some context to those changes until Day 5.

And not directly related to that, but there's also the weird situation going on with Ulf Andersson. He left the company months ago, but was staying on to keep voicing Wolf (though he hadn't contributed new lines in a while due to the physical stress of doing them). Then it quietly came out this week that he was no longer going to keep voicing Wolf after all. At the same time, due to a "bug" with their merch store, Wolf's mask was no longer available for purchase. And now they have the character on the Road to Crimefest page walking along with a bindle.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

There's also a remote possibility that they scheduled things in an exceedingly dumb way and there's more coming in future days that might change the picture.

And...boom, with today's update they added in the ability to get drills in-game from random drops. It remains to be seen if the drop rate on them is remotely fair, but that at least bumps things up from scummy microtransaction scheme to simply crappy microtransaction scheme.

Not clear if it was planned or just hastily pulled together, but they at least had a cute little animation of Wolf to go along with the announcement, which may be what the whole bindle thing was about.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Oct 20, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

I turned all that poo poo off asap, which means they definitely still collect that info and sell it, they just don't show it to me anymore. Like I believe their one-hand-mysteriously-behind-back pinkie swear that they won't collect any data on me if I just say I don't want them to.

Don't be ridiculous, that would be super illegal for them to do. :mrgw:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also there's pre-order DLC which is definitely developed in tandem with the main game and then purposefully held back as a bonus incentive.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RagnarokAngel posted:

This isn't *always* true. Frequently what's going on is due to the complexities of game development you will have specific teams (whether it be the music team, art team, programmers) who are "done" and sitting on their hands while the game is being finished, so extra content is developed to keep them busy/employed.

It's still predatory and theres little reason in an ideal world it couldn't be added in a day 1 patch for free, mind you.

I was going to bring up on-disc DLC, beceause that's definitely a case where the realities of there being a gap between "game's done" and "game's on shelves, ready to be played" are the main cause. (And it still manages to feel really sketchy.)

But I'm far less charitable towards pre-order DLC because it directly involves the marketing department and ink being put to paper w/r/t poo poo like Gamestop exclusive pre-order crap. It's less that extra content was made and more that it's is explicitly weaponized to try and convince people they need to buy the game before it's even out yet. And there's zero consistency or standards so pre-order incentives range from "pointless sparkly gear that you level out of five seconds into the game" to the very common "exclusive mission!!" seen in a lot of Ubisoft games that tends to be pretty crap and then all the way to entire game modes. The first I couldn't care less about, the second is frustrating because the FOMO is being used to cloak the low quality of the content, and the last is unambiguously work being carved out of the final product to rope in suckers.

Cleretic posted:

Fighting games nailed DLC that works for them really quickly, it just took some time for people to realize it.

Of course, that happened because they were already pulling that stuff. What are all those versions of Street Fighter II, after all, if not character packs and balance patches?

Eh, at best they've settled into a tolerable C-grade "series of season passes" model and then everything is either a bit better than that (Smash, mostly through quality and quantity of the content) or vastly worse in some way (SFV up to a point, Netherrealm's confusing mix of stuff that is or isn't included in XYZ package). Though admittedly I'm a completionist type who wants the actual full game, so fighting games particularly drive me insane. Never needed to send Capcom a check for $10 to unlock Vega's P2 colors in Street Fighter II Champion Edition.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also there's a difference - maybe not always a huge difference, but a difference - between a scrappy indie dev offering transparency into their development goals vs. a mismanaged triple-A developer/publisher trying to spin future developments as a marketing-first thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
No, you absolutely get it. That's what makes NFTs so infuriating. Literally everyone who doesn't have brainworms has that same reaction and there is no greater "aha" moment waiting at the end.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Surely only those fat stupid Americans would think to put a cartoon character on a chocolate bar

No, not a chocolate bar - bread...which in America is basically candy anyway. :smug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wildstar had the developers, in an incredible marketing and PR move, actually insult the players for beating a raid after it was nerfed several times to make it playable. wildstar no longer exists lol

Every time Wildstar comes up, I immediately think of the giant, endless list of bullshit you had to do become endgame ready.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Breetai posted:

As a compromise between those who want to purchase it for good reasons and those who want to purchase it for bad reasons we should burn the nazi uniform but also make sure a Minion is wearing it at the time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

run on sentience posted:

aren't there quite a few games with Nazis as the baddies that would have some kind of Nazi playing pieces?

There are, but they're usually anodyne things like "these black chits represent German tank units".

I guess that Wolfenstein tabletop game probably had a bunch of Nazi-tech minis, but obviously they're enemies to be defeated and nothing more.

V Much more succinctly put. V

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 19:43 on May 16, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I swear Spider-Man must be some sort of Springtime for Hitler deal, because the editors do everything in their power to make people lose interest in him, but he still bounces back every bit popular since the day he was born.
  • Getting him tied up in this clone nonsense for three years.
  • Having Gwen get pregnant by Norman Osborn.
  • Having a comic devoted to his aunt's sex-life.
  • Having him molested in a PSA comic.
  • Trying to spin his dead parents nobody cares about as secret agents.
  • Having him annul his own marriage in a deal with the Devil.
  • Pairing him with a girl named after the editor's daughter.
  • Having him killed and replaced by Doc Ock.
  • Getting his rear end kicked by some guy called Paul,

It's amazing that the movie that kills him off twenty minutes in is the most respectful and forward-thinking take on the character. Though that's because that movie wasn't beholden to the comic editors.

Wasn't the Doc Ock/Superior Spiderman stuff actually pretty good at least?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of the things that still blows me away when hearing about the Clone Saga and similar stuff like X-Men to a degree, is the revelation that a lot of those ongoing stories were happening across like 3-4 different "separate" books. Which just sounds like complete insanity.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In the context of someone trying to get into and wrap their head around comics, I'd say needing to keep track of four different books* instead of simply reading issues #135 - #190 of a single book is in fact kind of dumb?

*Actually more than 4 because it wouldn't be comics without a hundred additional crossovers, miniseries, annuals, recaps, promotional one-offs, whatever the gently caress else. Granted, Clone Saga was a particularly notable and extreme case.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The entire pog enterprise collapses without the painfully 90s alternative aesthetic propping it up. Flaming eyeballs and holographic weed leaves need to come back into vogue first.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Is Dexerto even a real news source??

For the record, no, insomuch that they literally just flood Twitter with whatever clickbait they can gin up.

In my experience their #1 trade is taking random dumbshit rumors and then hyping them up as if they were true.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
We could've been the bear balls website but it turned out that already exists.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I dunno seems like effective targeting marketing to me :shrug:

That ad ran in "Oh gently caress, Tigers" the magazine for those currently being pursued by tigers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I suddenly have an idea for a new gang tag....

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
He basically immediately backpedaled and was like wooooah haha just kidding it's just my head canon ok?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

credburn posted:

I never really "got" the fusion core thing in Fallout 4. So you have these fusion cores that can single-handedly power a huge automated factory for hundreds of years, maybe forever -- or it's good enough to power a single suit of powered armor for about twenty minutes.

Is that meant to be a joke, or is it just really bad design?

Aside from the plausible explanation already given, I would take it as a joke, yeah. People act like Fallout's not supposed to be silly or exaggerated, but power armor accepting mass produced industrial batteries and sucking them down in minutes actually sounds pretty fitting and adds some suitable irony to all that resource warring. It also adds to the power armor fantasy a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Just another case of Bethesda expecting fans to fix their games with mods. :rolleyes: