Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I know it's dumb but that's clearly two patties, not a single beef patty. You can see where one is sitting on the other in the middle of the drat sandwich! C'mon BK marketing team, how about having a little more integrity in your hamburger blowjob joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Lexus dealers actually have bows they'll give you if you want to do this. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

When you say give, you mean sell for $200 right? I mean it doesn't really matter if you're also buying a Lexus, but I feel like a car dealer would get mad at a butcher for wasting the squeal.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

'Draft beer' seems extremely nondescript and general. What kind of beer?

They can't just call it "beer," that's not how marketers think. Cheese chips are you loving kidding me? Get "blasted" in there somehow, goddamnit.

The answer is just "beer" though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I love the fits and starts to getting through to people with social media though, I hope it lasts forever. Like the memory of Pearl Harbor.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ha, that is a good one.
Thanks for the article, though I find this comparison a bit off:

There's a big difference, there. One is having a little chit chat while the cashier rings up your cart full of groceries --- an interaction that takes a few minutes, you're both stuck there anyways, why not make it pleasant? The other is having a discussion on race relations when the goal should really be "take order, move on to the next customer as quickly as possible".
(Disclaimer/source: my boyfriend worked for TJ's for many years. It's not a "trend"; they hire outgoing people, and the company treats them well, so for the most part they are actually happy to be there and have a chat with you, if only to break up the monotony of swiping things over a scanner for hours.)

Counterpoint, I worked at TJ's for years, and since all anyone ever said was "Weather huh?" Or "this thing doesn't have a price on it so it's free, right? Haha I am joking unless this somehow results in free cheese in which case I am not" I would have always preferred if they just shut the hell up instead.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Regional dumb move in marketing: Restaurants taking a stand against certain condiments. I don't actually care about how authentic a Chicago dog is, I don't want to read a bunch of weirdly passive-agressive signs about the evils of ketchup.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Chicago has this weird delusion that it's actually one of the greatest cities in America just because it's surrounded by a state that is so ungodly terrible that it really does seem tolerable by comparison. The only things they have left to hold onto to shield their pride are lovely bread-pizza and hot dogs, it's not worth arguing with them over.

The pizza and hot dogs are so junked up, too. It's not a hot dog without poppyseeds, tomatoes, peppers, celery salt, onions, mustard, relish and a pickle? Man gently caress that that's a goddamn salad with a hot dog hiding in it. And then to say "well you can't add ketchup that ruins it" how would you even notice? It already tastes like you're making a hot dog by scraping all the free stuff for chips at 7-11 into a bun.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is such a bullshit way of thinking. There are obviously other options besides keeping them as caged performing animals or bunging them back in the sea and hoping for the best.

Let's hear them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Karma Monkey posted:

I've seen some nasty gas stations bathrooms, but the trucker gas stops and chain gas stations are usually pretty good. I can't remember which one it is, but there's a chain of trucker stops that has full showers, a connected restaurant, coin-operated massage chairs, and a decent sized store. Pretty much paradise for the road weary.

On the flip side, the only thing worse than a gas station with a disgusting bathroom is a gas station that has NO bathroom for customers to use. Employees only! :argh:

That's just license to piss on the wall behind their station. It's a legal compact I'm pretty sure.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Haha no way, I have Pandora on right now and an ad for Trader Joe's came on. The entire premise was trying to sell people on the idea of giving out julienned, seasoned carrots and parsnips to trick or treaters on halloween instead of candy, and sincerely acted like the little kids would be over the moon for this. :spooky:

Terrified parents will throw anything not in an original plastic wrapper directly into the garbage anyway, Trader Joes might as well run an advertisement telling people to buy carrots and parsnips and throw them away for Halloween.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

One time on a dare a coworker tried to chug the Peach flavor and ended up heaving over a storm grate in the mall parking lot. That's my Faygo story.

Your coworker is a big baby. Faygo is just regional soda, it doesn't actually taste like clownwater.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The only time I get mad with customer service phone banks is when they give me information that doesn't mean anything when I have to call back. Like i had to call AT&T a few times a few years back because I bought a refurb cellphone from them online and it arrived reported stolen and fully locked. So I'd call and get customer service, and they'd be like "Gee, that sounds impossible, but here's my name and a case number and I'll get to work on it." Two days later I'd call back and they'd be like "There's no such person and that's not the format of our case numbers."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Christie is just super tall. What you want is Rachel House. She's got the right mean face and shed body. Topaz in Thor: Ragnarok.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Yeah but there was some follow-up sleuthing that revealed that same person also "died" after a social media gaffe in 2018, right? Or am I falling for internet bullshit.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Reminds me of the rumors that McDonald's used mealworms or something instead of beef to save cash, except in reality using beef really is the cheaper option.

My favorite McDonalds one is that they're the world's largest purchaser of cow eyeball, presably to make milkshakes or something. It's probably true even! Because they just buy an absolute loving huge amount of cows wholesale. Just... not to use the eyes for poo poo.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Everytime there's a blitz about that peanut I expect this will be the time they announce a new fuckin' product. Or an old one! Hey I'm 21 or whatever, PB Crisps are back! But it never happens.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

From the original trilogy, wasn't harrison ford the only dude who made loving bank? And now he hates anything about Star Wars or Indy Jones.

Everyone but Ford made bank. Hamill and Fisher got .25% of film profits going forward including rereleases and new editions and stuff. Alec Guinness got 2.25% and adjusting for inflation had made about 85 million dollars just for New Hope when he died.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Phanatic posted:

In my head that's sung to the tune of Annie's Song by John Denver.

O Come All Ye Faithful, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

And while Pascal is just a nice and good person in general, it was especially personal and upsetting for him because his sister is Lux Pascal, a trans actor in Chile.

He asked Carano to tone it down, she went on twitter and dropped one of those standard "I love all people and hate all bullies" type general posts that really just means "stop looking at me" then a week later changed her profile to have the pronouns "beep/boop" and that was the end of that.