Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Rondette posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/gap-dress-normal-campaign-fails-to-lift-sales-9907025.html

Gap's Dress Normal campaign bombed then. I'm not surprised. The ads come off as really bossy.

I think "Dress Normal" failed at the #1 goal of fashion commercials, which is to convince people that their current wardrobe is inadequate and that if they don't go out and buy more stylish clothes right now, they're going to become a social laughingstock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

I wonder if right now in Japan there are shut-ins writing up angry posts about Time Squad doing an episode about Sitting Bull or Peabody and Sherman making jokes about the French Revolution.

Things are different when atrocities are within living memory though. There's people sitting out there right now who actually lived through the Rape of Nanking. Goes for WWII in general. 30 years from now you'll see much more stupid and openly comical WWII poo poo, because everyone who lived through it will be dead.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Jan 28, 2015

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Lol I work at Nationwide.

I've had no fewer than 5 people call in to complain and/or cancel their policies because of the commercial.

Granted, those are folks that probably wouldn't have stuck around but still.

My immediate, gut-reflex response to that commercial was "gently caress [whatever insurance company that just was]." Judging from the responses on Twitter, I'm sure millions of people felt similarly.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Lime Tonics posted:

https://twitter.com/united/status/851875102769721344

new ceo time methinks, 2 days for this and only after the losses.

Yeah, it was blatantly transparent that they didn't give a poo poo until their stock started dropping, and then suddenly it's "horrific."

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

God exists, but it is not an Abrahamic god, it is a trickster god that was birthed into creation one year ago and decided "hey I'm just going to gently caress up all politics everywhere and also this one airline."

Nah, I like the theory that the universe is a simulation, and 2016 was the year the simulation runners just said "ah, gently caress it! let's make things interesting."

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I can't see the picture. So what is the fuckup here, the fact that an animal giving birth looks a little gross for a few hours?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Watch the video. The woman just squeezed it with her hands and the same amount came out. The packs are just filled with juice and the little chopped up vegetables in there are just for show.

Lol, why aren't more people calling this out as a flat-out scam? The device is not even a juicer, it is a bag-squeezing machine.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Juicero could just switch to selling juice in stores. Why even have the machine?

Presumably other companies can and are already doing the same, for much cheaper. Juicero must have already sunk tons of money into designing and manufacturing their fake home juicers.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

ravenkult posted:

There was a meme going around about a women who saw some kid on a flight and talked to the stewardess and it turns out it actually was a kidnapping thing going on. I guarantee you that has something to do with it, it has like a gazillion shares on Facebook.

e: I think it was this one http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38880612

Big difference here was that the teen girl looked scared and disheveled and the accompanying man refused to let the stewardess speak to her, despite her being a teenager. Would have raised red flags for any employee, I would hope.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
This is why I never have, and will not read comic books.

Also lol at comic book writers intoducing a literal magic retcon device.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Not a PS. I'm looking at it on my phone right now.

I like to think that the photographer was just so innocent that they saw nothing wrong here.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't there a juice commercial or something with a bunch of like 50-70 year olds talking about getting chased by bears and hopping fences in their youth and then they're moved to tears by watching a video of kids saying they liked watching TV and playing video games with their friends?

Yeah, it was pretty infuriating, really. A bunch of parents and grandparents talking about how sad it was that their children said that their favorite thing to do was sit inside all day and play videogames or post on social media or whatever, and how it's sad that childhood just isn't like it used to be. LIKE WHOSE FAULT IS THAT?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

I have literally never heard of anyone receiving a participation trophy

And when they are handed out, kids treat them like trash, because they know that everyone got one and it's just a hunk of plastic. Kids are not nearly as stupid as many people believe them to be.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jolly Guy posted:

They wanted the drat things more than I did.

Ding ding ding!

Participation trophies were never so much about "making sure kids don't feel bad when they lose" (the kids aren't fooled), they've always been more about stroking the egos of the kinds of parents who scream at referees at children's soccer matches. Enough over-involved helicopter parents demand "well everyone should get something", and it's done. The kids don't care, and wouldn't be listened to even if they did.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCxAzF1VIY

wow this is a great ad and everyone should watch it and it doesn't make me want to die or anything

I'd rather watch this than some maudlin crap of McDonald's trying to tug at your heartstrings until you go buy more fillet 'o fish sandwiches.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's still not even the worst filet-o-fish commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrPT9ClVUc

You mean best

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Byzantine posted:

The Eloi don't live in splendor, though. They're barely-sapient cattle the Morlocks kill for meat.

Yeah, the morlocks living underground is more like a metaphor for their depravity than anything else. Thematically they have a lot more in common with vampires or other horror creatures that live in the darkness than they do with two-tiered societies where the oppressed masses live in mud while the rich live in sky-castles.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Word is going around the internet that CNN is threatening to doxx the redditor who created that gif that Trump retweeted of Trump beating up "CNN" at a WWE event. Apparently they have a pretty nasty and embarassing post history.

Rumor also has it that the redditor in question that CNN is threatening to release the name of is a 15 year old kid, though I don't know how anyone could know that.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

They're saying over in the political cartoons thread in D&D that he's a middle-aged guy. Either way, though, I'm finding it tough to muster sympathy for a Trumper on Reddit who regularly shouts the n word.

I think it's a bit of a slippery slope dilemma. Some guy shitposts a meme making fun of CNN, which Trump happens to retweet. CNN investigates who the original gif maker is, and uncovers his real name, as well as the fact that from his anonymous post history, he's a real racist POS. Should CNN threaten to doxx the guy in this scenario?

Note that if it was any of his racist posts that had caught CNN's eye, I would be all for exposing him if he was dumb enough to leave clues to his real identity laying around. It's the part that this whole chain of events ending in the threatened doxxing was originally caused by him posting a gif making fun of CNN that I find problematic.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

During the Irish War of Independence the Black and Tans were a military group sent over by the British to help fight the IRA. They did this by failing to do much about the IRA and instead burning and sacking a punch of Irish towns, firing into crowds of civilians, and pretty much all the other things that are considered war crimes. Naturally they have an extremely negative place in Irish culture to this day. However companies keep thinking it's a reference to Guinness I guess.

The American company claimed that the ice-cream had been named in honour of the classic mixture of stout and pale ale, and not the notorious 8,000-strong British irregular force that arrived in Ireland in 1920 and is remembered chiefly for its habit of firing indiscriminately on crowds of civilians.

Unless they were planning on selling this in Ireland, I don't see the issue.

Getting angry because you find something named in another country with different cultural references offensive is pretty :rolleyes:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Whoooo that's a spicy take. Don't name things after murderers. It's not like "Black and Tan" is some phrase multiple countries have with multiple meanings. It's specifically an Irish thing, and the drink was made up by English bigots to mock the people their government had murdered.

It is in fact possible for something to be in poor taste, and nobody's impressed by an edgelord.

Ben and Jerry's were not being "edgelords," you moron, undoubtedly they like 95% of Americans were completely unfamiliar with 1920s Irish-based British paramilitary groups, and only knew "Black and Tan" as being two colors and a drink. Again, this would be completely different if the proposed ice cream color was being sold or marketed in Ireland, but it wasn't.

This is more in the realm of "Americans getting offended about an Australian commercial that prominently showed a black man in a crowd scene eating fried chicken." (which was a real thing that happened)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Bars in the US still serve irish car bombs and I don't see anyone complaining about that

Everyone knows that this is offensive to the Irish, they just don't care that it's offensive. I've heard it's a good way to potentially lose some teeth in the wrong bar, though.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I think this must be a myth because literally everywhere serves Jameson and Bushmills and we don't have that many distilleries so you can end up with Bushmills that was made in a Jameson distillery and vice versa. Probably a plastic paddy thing tbh.

Hopefully a more straightforward example that won't requite a viva, from a UK company after the Aurora shooting.

It's the wink that makes it.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I once worked a union job where once the mandatory union dues were factored in, I was making less than minimum wage. The only union "benefits" I got were the same amount of paid breaks that I've recieved at every other non-union job I've ever worked at, and the managers even got around that by piling on so much work that employees were pressured to skip breaks to avoid working until 2 in the morning or going into overtime (which would get you in big trouble).

My job was garbage and all the union higher-ups knew none of us in my department were going to stay at our awful, low-paying jobs for long enough to have any say in union decision-making, we were just there as a free revenue source.

I think unions in general are a good thing, but some are so lovely that it's not hard to see why large numbers of people hate them.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

On dumb adverts how about this blast from the past? UK ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t2hRo4pAdI

I could only make it for about 10 seconds.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Do dumb advertisements go in this thread? Cuz i saw this and it's friggin magical.

You're going to have to explain this for us non-guitar people.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

So it turns out that this was just the middle image in a series of images of women turning into/revealing other women, and the very next image shows the white woman turning into another dark skinned woman.

I don't know why there isn't a bigger backlash against news sources like The Guardian for peddling outrage stories like this that turn out to just be bullshit.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Wow, some of you guys have way more interesting billboards. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one around here that wasn’t just advertising crap or a government PSA.

Edit: I take that back, there was an anti-Trump billboard around election time.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
This is the epitome of controversy as a marketing ploy.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I am absolutely not buying nuggets of mystery meat labeled "Dietz Nuts."

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Well since I kissed you, baby, that evening in the park
I lost my hair and eyebrows and my teeth shine in the dark

These lyrics or anything about atomic bombs aren't in the song Melt With You, what am I missing?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Did Tom Hanks steal their pancreas or do they want to steal Tom Hanks's pancreas?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I just plain don't understand NFTs. You're spending money and computing power on......nothing? The owner of an NFT image or whatever doesn't even get the copyright to it, that's an entirely separate thing. It reminds me of those star registry things. Why should your "ownership" of the NFT matter to anyone other than other people in the NFT market?

Maybe I'm just stupid/prematurely old and unable to comprehend new technology.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Zereth posted:

For the cherry on top, this is apparently a screenshot of an NFT that sold for $7.2 million.

There has absolutely got to be money laundering going on here.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Memento posted:

Yeah if the underpaid and overworked social media person managed to meet a new friend and get their end away using the official company twitter page, that's nothing but a win in my book.

Shut up, I want to believe this woman is going to gently caress the Wingstop corporation itself.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

The Bloop posted:

The chair recognizes the senator from Utah

Took me a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Can we talk about based corporations for a minute instead?

https://twitter.com/jiw1330164/status/1393448686869430272/photo/1