Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Yes, and this is a perfect example of why that's a bad policy, just like banning sex ed in schools.

If you don't give them examples and explain what's good and what's bad, they're going to stumble into doing it in the worst way possible.

That's only half correct, there are exemptions made for displaying them in a historical, educational, or artistic context. School books, museums, historical tv programs etc. about that time period all do show images containing the swastika, SS runes, and suchlike. In this instance they just slapped the official circular logo on the customary red background of the bank and nobody stopped to consider how that combination would look on a vertical banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think I got Civilization for free because I preordered it.

People hate when stuff goes free later. Teamfortress 2 went free to play like 10 years after release. No one was buying it anymore so it made sense to give the community a boost to increase hat sales. But people were pissed that now anyone could just come in and play this thing they paid money for.

Hell, the same thing happens even when no real money is involved. I remember way, way back in the basic World of Warcraft before expansions, ridable mounts used to become available at level 40 at a cost of a full 100 gold. It was usually the first time that a player would actually be saving up a significant sum of in-game money for something. There was also an option for even more expensive mounts costing 1000 gold at the maximum level 60.

At one point Blizzard decided to make them significantly cheaper and also make them available from level 20 on, probably to make leveling more bearable. A surprising amount of people flipped their poo poo. They'd been grinding for their own mounts for so long, they considered it an insult that other people could get them more easily now. I think the phrase "slap in the face" was used a lot. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I mean, on their own those rules seem like they could be actually pretty fun for a small lighthearted spinoff or something. But this is something that GW demolished pretty much half of its entire product line for and that is apparently intended to entirely replace that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

it reveals the sex

I'm pretty sure at that point you don't need a test to tell you that the couple had sex. :rimshot:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

^^^^ Might be a different example than what I'm thinking off, but something like that happened in Chattanooga, Tennessee ^^^^

steinrokkan posted:

Volkswwagen famously got run out of some Southern state by the government because they insisted on giving their unionized workers too much of a say.

Yeah, that must have been loving surreal for the VW guys. IIRC when they had set up the factory they just went up to their employees and basically went "Okay, now you lot just set up a union and we'll organise a worker's council". You know, like they were used to from back home, because that makes things run more smoothly. And then the whole thing suddenly just exploded into a giant state-wide issue in front of their eyes. I think at one point the actual governor openly threatened the workers that if they were to unionise, VW would immediately pull out and never come back to the state, which of course was news to VW.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Aug 2, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

God I always forget the MM’s name is J’onn J’onzz. Of all the stupid names in comics that one might be the stupidest.

Never forget Black Bolt, whose actual name is, I poo poo you not, "Blackagar Boltagon".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

For home use, just stick with a B&W laser. If you really need color just go to Kinko's FedEx Office and make them print it.

Yeah, making the switch to a laser printer basically solved all my printer worries forever. Those things are basically indestructible, I've got some ancient Laserjet that's easily a decade old by now and it still runs perfectly fine. And of course the toner lasts pretty much forever for home use and is ridiculously cheap compared to ink.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In a similar vein:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Back in the day you had to constantly fight off intrusive ads on dodgy pirate streaming sits, but now that's literally normal, as well as the video you have to manually stop.

The whole 'pivot to video' thing still turned out to be bullshit that no one actually wanted, right?

It may be apocryphal, but IIRC it all started with Facebook wanting to push some new video functionality of theirs, so they falsified their metrics to say that people were way more likely to click on videos than they actually were. That then caused a ripple effect making all sorts of advertisers and news organizations switch to short videos as their main way to deliver content.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

The primary purpose of adblockers isn't to skip ads but to protect you from malvertising.

Yeah, that's a fairly significant aspect. More than once now I disabled adblockers on request and was immediately hit by "ads" that hijacked my browser window in attempt to make it look like it's some government sting where I have to pay a fine or else. Or just the good old "PLAY oval office WARS NOW M'LORD". I'm used to them by now, but it's easy to see an inexperienced user getting scammed or suffering a million viruses that way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Similarly, a few years back a German sweets company had a promotion where you could win money if you ended up finding a cookie with a blue waffle in a package:

It's too weird of a coincidence, I'm almost certain some weirdo somewhere was having a laugh when they suggested this particular combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

My own short foray into comics was picking up The Runaways, which started out as a fun and fairly self-contained story about the children of a bunch of super-villains, well, running away. That went well enough for a while until some random-rear end secondary characters just sort of dropped in with no introduction, seemingly on the understanding that I should know who they are, and a footnote told me to read an entirely different comic to understand what their deal was. Decided not to bother to chase any of that down.

The only other comic I spent any time on is Kill Six Billion Demons, which does fortunately own a lot, but it's unfortunately not yet finished :argh: