Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

gnarlyhotep posted:

The US is by far worse than all other countries that I know of when it comes to being colossal prudes

Saudi Arabia? Iran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

That Robox posted:

Even more disturbing... one goon animated that.

Oh come on, you can't just say that and not post it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Its definitely not a money thing at McDonalds because all their soda sizes are one price.

This is a policy I wholeheartedly endorse. People inside can order a small and refill it as many times as they like, so why should I, the drive-thru proletariat, be forced to pay more money to guzzle down the same amount of sugar water?

Also, McDonald's Coke seems to taste better than any other (American) Coke and I'm not sure why.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

You know that one friend of yours that thinks it's really important to inject a Sociopolitical Issue Of The Moment into an otherwise enjoyable experience, because they think it'll ultimately be good for you?

somethingawful.txt

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Doesn't Kosher Coke also use real sugar? I think they sell it around Passover in some parts of the US.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

9/11 changed everything.

Without any irony or sarcasm, this is absolutely true. If you had to specify a date where, both culturally and politically, the 90s ended and the Aughts (or whatever) began, 9/11 is it.

Aughts to 10s, however, is a lot more fuzzy. I think I'd put it somewhere in late 2008, with the recession and Obama's election, but I might be biased because that's also the year I started college.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

The lobster that people refused to eat hundreds of years ago was pretty rotten. If you don't cook it alive it's basically bait quality meat. It wasn't until they could be caught and transported alive that they became popular.

This. Every time someone tries to play the "lobster used to be prison food! Checkmate, foodies!" card it's pretty safe to assume they have no idea what the hell they're talking about. I say this as someone who still doesn't really like lobster that much though.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

OniPanda posted:

The national CSA flag was poo poo compared to it which is why it never got used in anything ever.

Its biggest sin was that it looked way too much like the Union flag, so they adapted the St. Andrew's Cross on the battlefield so soldiers wouldn't be confused.

After a couple of years they changed the national flag to this, but soon they realized that if there wasn't a breeze it looked like a surrender flag, so they added a big fat red stripe to the end.

Then they went and lost the war and that second set of flags really came in handy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

Enough derails, back to dumb moves in marketing.

Circumcision was always marketed by doctors as a regular routine after birth , but popularity has dropped off precipitously in a single generation. Which is fine because it has no medical justification.

But enough about Gamergate

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

sassassin posted:

The second one is a stronger, more balanced composition without Boyega separated out to the side like that.

I'd agree with you if they put Kylo Ren and his lightsaber in the center, but since he's still off to the side shrinking Finn throws off the balance IMO. I do like how they made the X-wings bigger, though.

EDIT: Actually I think the perfect poster would be the Japanese (Chinese?) one, but move the TIE Fighters so they're opposite the X-wings, put Finn back, and change Ren to his American pose.

ninjahedgehog has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Dec 17, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Semisponge posted:

Ah yes, the Shane Company ads, where an old fart tells you to buy jewelry for every possible occasion and how they buy directly from Antwerp and pass the savings on to you! I can recite it from memory: The Shane Company on State Street and 7200 South. Open Monday through Friday til 8, Saturday til 5, closed Sundays. I know it like I know the pledge of allegiance and the girl scouts pledge.

Ooo, me too!

Now YOU have a friend in the diamond business! The Shane Company! In Cupertino, San Mateo, and Walnut Creek. Open weekdays 'till 8, Saturday and Sunday 'till 5, online at shane-co-dot-com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I saw that on Twitter earlier and Jesus. :psyboom:

You could write a dissertation on how many different ways this commercial is awful (and I expect to see a few of them online before I even finish this post) and you'd still have to make some really painful cuts. There's so much to unpack here from so many different angles that I don't even know where I would start.