Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Dockers had one of the most insulting/cringe-worthy ad campaigns of all time.

In case you can't read the eye-bleeding bad font:

quote:

One upon a time, men wore the pants, and wore them well. Women rarely had to open doors and little old ladies never crossed the street alone. Men took charge because that's what they did. But somewhere along the way, the world decided it no longer needed men. Disco by disco, latte by foamy non-fat latte, men were stripped of their khakis and left stranded on the road between boyhood and androgyny.
But today, there are questions our genderless society has no answers for. The world sits idly by as cities crumble, children misbehave and those little old lades remain on one side of the street. For the first time since bad guys, we need heroes. We need grown-ups. We need men to put down the plastic fork, step away from the salad bar and untie the world from the tracks of complacency. It's time to get your hands dirty. It's time to answer the call of manhood. It's time to wear the pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
PC Mag had an interesting article after that Qualcomm thing. Basically, their argument was that it looked stupid as gently caress to Western audiences because it wasn't aimed at them.

quote:

It's easy to forget that Qualcomm isn't selling subtlety or insiderish cynicism or an archly self-aware meta-narrative. Qualcomm is selling Snapdragon processors. And it's selling them to a handful of North American and European companies, but these days, mainly to the suits running Asia's plethora of computer manufacturers and device makers and gadget peddlers.

Many of Qualcomm's most important customers aren't necessarily immersed in a culture of skepticism towards tech PR and marketing, let alone tuned to the nuances of the English language. Speaking to them in broad strokes, particularly in the context of a keynote presentation to a live audience of thousands, isn't stupid—it's actually pretty smart.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414112,00.asp

Not sure I buy it, but it would explain the "throw in everything from pop culture" approach.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Also, I can't stand those Lexus commercials around this time of year where a family gets a new SUV with a big bow on the roof in the driveway on Christmas morning.

Don't forget the part where their SO hands them a small gift box, but -- surprise! -- it's actually a set of keys. :monocle:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hate to ruin the magic for you but that and a bunch of other wacky viral "local" commercials are viral marketing for a debt collection service made by these guys.

This making-of video is so sad. They decide to "prank" the actors by having a fake actor audition for their fake ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68jQqdQNtf4&t=105s

It's like some meta-meta badness.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Jastiger posted:

Can you post some examples of the "out of touch" marketing from McDonalds? I don't watch a lot of TV so I don't know what you're talking about and I'm curious.

Thoughtless posted:

Well, this is the classic one. I think it was posted earlier in the thread but...

Don't forget this hip new monstrosity:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

BattleMaster posted:

Yes in that it has eyes, a mouth, and a vague humanoid form

It's not really obvious until you see the commercials, but yeah, they're basically minions with noodle arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWW_ZBmn-fs

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Radio Paranoia posted:

Found it! It's still on the McDonalds South Africa Youtube page. Paragraphs of text and repetitive music is definitely prime-time advertising!
Good god, this is terrible. It's like a PowerPoint presentation.

Hey kids, remember when you used to get a toy? Well shut the gently caress up and play with this grease stained box.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And all this GEICO chat... where's the Flo love at? (I like Flo; GEICO's squealing pig can get turned into "Virginia ham".)
I'll take Flo any day over that obnoxious talking hand shrieking "NAILED IT!"

Maybe that's their angle -- making something worse than Flo so that people will be happy when they pull her out again.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

JollityFarm posted:

I'm the kind of person who has to change the channel when that "IN THE AAAAAARMS OF AN ANGEL" ASPCA commercial airs. My heartstrings are so easily pulled. I weep openly at the drop of a hat and am probably the person this ad was supposed to target. That said, it's so brazenly, SHAMELESSLY, a ploy to emotionally manipulate the viewer, I can only feel searing rage watching it.

This loving commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56b09ZyLaWk

It's advocating against drinking and driving which is good, but the combination of sentiment and shoehorning a Budweiser into all the shots is pretty shameless.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Anyone remember this old Sears A/C commercial ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEQEPUJP8M

Seriously it ran constantly for like 10-15 years. Why bother making a new commercial when you can use the same one for over a decade?

"You said you'd call Sears yesterday"
"I'll call today"
"You'll call now"
"... I'll call now"

That commercial brings back memories. I remember coming back from college to visit my family, seeing that ad on TV, and wondering if I'd fallen into some kind of time warp.

e: all those Dutch angles :psyduck:

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Jan 14, 2015

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Tracula posted:

You know, my mother and aunt always buy mens pants because then they actually know what the real loving size is as opposed to whatever gibberish women's sizes are.
The one that takes the cake is Chico's. My mother loves to shop there because they size all of their pants 0-4. So you could have a 40 inch waist and still be a size 3.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

dpbjinc posted:

My life is complete, now that I have a site that can inform me that, yes, a dog does indeed go to heaven in the movie titled All Dogs Go to Heaven.
An old friend of mine thought Amores Perros translated to Puppy Love, and decided it would be a romantic comedy. You know, with dogs.

This site would have saved him a lot of time. Although it wouldn't have been nearly as funny watching it with him.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

swims posted:

I hate to hate, but that's either some legitimate stdh or your friend is gay.

Well he actually is gay, so...

E: he's also Albert Einstein and an ex-marine. People stood up and cheered. We've been married ever since.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Jan 30, 2015

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Pulled up Shazam the other day and saw the weirdest ad. It looked like it was for a luxury car or something at first.

Nope. Turned out to be an ad for a Lockheed Martin stealth bomber.

The hell?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Tiggum posted:

I hate when supermarket staff do this. Particularly when I buy something like a slab of beer and a couple of bottles of wine and they're like "Having a party, eh?" and I'm not. Obviously I'm not going to go home and drink all of that right now, but your friendly small-talk just turned into "Hey, that seems like too much alcohol for one person to buy all at once!"

The benefit of living in a control state: Never worry about what the checkout guy thinks, because if you're buying liquor, you're in a liquor store.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

walrusman posted:

1) That, I guess
2) ???

Notice I didn't say benefits. :v:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Potbelly sandwich places are popping up like crazy where I live. No matter which one you go to, the guys behind the counter make fun of you of you don't want all of the extra toppings. No, I don't want to add pickles to my Mediterranean sub. Yes, I'm sure. No, I won't regret it. Yes, I'm boring for not mixing hummus and mustard. Please stop.

They're free condiments, so I don't get why they push them so hard. It's not like their sandwiches come completely plain to begin with.

I like the place, it's just this weird song and dance I have to go through every time.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Mouse Dresser posted:

At all of the restaurants I've waited tables at, they all had their own lovely song because singing Happy Birthday requires royalties. So pay a low fee for some schmuck to generate a crappy tune.

There was some big chain I was at a few months back (hell if can remember which one...Cheesecake Factory maybe?) that actually sang Happy Birthday to someone. It blew my mind.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
If anyone knows a place to buy real root beer or birch beer (not that sugar water A&W and Barqs make), I will love you forever. The closest I've been able to find, outside of Amish farmers markets, is the Pennsylvania Dutch brand. Even that doesn't really have the same yeasty kick to it as true homemade root and birch beers.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's good but it's not what he's looking for. That specific taste you get with Amish/"Authentic" birch beer/root beer is very different from something like Virgils. Lactic acid and yeast based carbonation will make a product that tastes very different.
Yeah, it's a hard flavor to explain, and saying "fermented root beer" sounds disgusting. But it's loving amazing.

A lot of good ideas here, I'll have to see if I can ship to my house if I can't find any of the brands locally.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Have you considered just brewing some yourself? It's really easy.
I may also try this. The recipes online seem pretty straightforward, as long as I can get ahold of sassafras and sarsaparilla.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I did a search, and it came up with every single Cheesecake Factory in the state. That was unexpected.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not quite marketing, but who the hell picks out the horrible Muzak + "thank you for holding, we appreciate your patience!" messages I've been listening to for 15 minutes now (and this is for a .gov line)? While I'm sitting here with the phone stuck to my head, it occurs to me that ClearChannel (or any paying ASCAP entity) could make a mint piping some quasi-popular songs, plus advertising, versus this endless loop of off-brand Kenny G .

The conference line I use at work does this. It's a neat way to market lesser-known bands who are looking for exposure. I've found some great music, too.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Phlegmish posted:

Actually, in countries (and presumably American states) with employment termination legislation, the employee as well as the employer have to respect a period of notice (or grant severance pay), though it's obviously shorter in the former case. You can't just quit.

It's definitely not true in the States. It's professional to give at least 2 weeks notice, but you can walk out on the spot and your employer can't do anything. It's not something that's recommended since it burns a lot of bridges, but you can legally do it, even if your company policy says otherwise.

e: On the flipside, your employer can fire you on the spot and laugh in your face when you ask for severance. In those cases, you usually have to fight to get unemployment benefits too. US employment laws are weird.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Apr 12, 2015

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pennsylvania. I guess meat pies just aren't that big here because I never saw one in person until pretty recently. We did get Polish food out of the deal so it's not all bad. Kielbasa and haluski are fantastic.

You're forgetting shoofly pie, the ambrosia of the Pennsylvania Dutch. I'd trade meat pie for shoofly pie any day.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Yeah, it basically tastes like a coffee cake with molasses underneath, baked in a pie crust. It can be tooth-meltingly sweet, but I personally like the ones that are a little more dry and cakey.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Zaphod42 posted:

It sounds like Judah Friedlander's character on 30Rock wasn't really a character at all. :stare:

Do not drink any tea this man offers you.

I saw his act 9 or 10 years ago, when he was on tour with some of the VH1 D-listers. Some friends and I spent a few minutes chatting with him afterward. I can 100% confirm that he is just as weird and awkward in real life.

He was also selling his World Champion hats for like $20, and this was before his 30 Rock hat shtick, so no one knew what the gently caress. No one bought one :(

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

artsy fartsy posted:

Why don't all companies everywhere just put cute animals in their ads and on packaging, it's completely safe and there's like 5 things I can see in my living room right now that I bought strictly because there was a cute dog.

Budweiser got in trouble back in the day for Spuds MacKenzie, because having a cool party dog was seen as marketing the product to children.

Now, instead, they have adorable lost puppies finding their way home. :cheers:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Karma Monkey posted:

Vintage ads are the best. :allears:
A little something for the men as well ;-*

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Now I understand the shock and joy expressed by my various wedding vendors when I told them "of course you can have some of the food." Never realized people wouldn't let them could look away from the event for 30 seconds to grab a drink or something. Also my photographer's contract got me digital and physical copies of all photos taken without watermarks, so I guess it was a good experience all around.

Same. We also let them take the rest of the food at the end (it was a buffet, there was a lot) in case they didn't get a chance to eat or wanted leftovers or whatever.

Don't be a jerk to people at your wedding. It's an simple concept.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Afterdark posted:

Well just saw this advert for an Audi in front of Avengers: Age of Ultron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ceAFeT-7s

:catstare:
Can see the train of thought that leads to that but Jesus...

A cinema showing full of kids made it better, a mum just laughing in front of us with her two kids asking what's funny.
Also I wonder why Audi spent money on product placement for this film, there was a blatant few and on TV there is an advert comparing the A5 I think to the Avengers. Wouldn't of thought I be worth a high end car makers time really.

:gonk: The perspiration.

Audi's basically the car of the Marvel universe. Whatever marketing deal they made years ago must be lucrative if they're still going. Iron Man's the most in-your-face about it, since they get to showcase a garage full of luxury cars every time he goes into his lab.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

You Are A Elf posted:

Some items I've seen gas station keys attached to over the years:

feather duster
old 1920s monkey wrench
small frying pan
flyswatter
scissors
giant novelty nail cutters
a beat up Converse shoe
In what universe would there possibly be any use for giant novelty nail cutters? I'm seriously racking my brain and coming up blank.

And how the hell would you end up owning a pair? :confused:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Hear hear.

It should go to a subscribers-only pay model. I hate being forced to pay for it when I never watch the sodding thing anyway.

Of course this means they would only get a fraction of their budget, so maybe they'll be forced to throw out all the poo poo and just focus on the decent programmes.

So do you guys not get any channels for free? In the US you have to pay for cable and the like, but the major broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, etc) are free.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah, we do something similar, and it is great. The problem is, the museum is already free to the public, mainly due to a combination of a grant from the city and proceeds from memberships. The city isn't exactly in the best place right now, and with the older generations dying off, the marketing team is essentially tasked with trying to convince broke young people to pay for what has more or less been a free service for years. No one wants to go the PBS/NPR annoy-people-til-they-throw-their-wallets-at-us route, of course, but the lack of new blood has begun to have serious repercussions and there have been a lot of scary cutbacks recently. It's a tricky situation, and one that's sadly becoming a problem with a lot of non-profits.
I went to see the symphony orchestra about 3-4 years ago. They were doing a fun little outdoor movie music night, it was cool, and I enjoyed it.

Ever since I bought tickets, they've been hounding the family with calls asking for donations. There's no use in telling them we're broke or not interested. They'll call back two days later. On top of that, we get gobs of junk mail every month, and additional calls and emails asking us to become yearly ticket members or encouraging us like to purchase tickets for their upcoming concert series. It's like they smelled fresh blood and attacked. I can't imagine a better way to turn people off your organization.

e: What I'm saying is, I agree that it's rough. And the "annoy them until they give us money" just doesn't work anymore.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Jun 3, 2015

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
This thread reminded me that I saw this in the store the other day. It's so ridiculous that it makes me cringe.

quote:

Even if you can’t whittle a kayak out of a redwood with a penknife, you can smell like the sort of guy who would. Bounce for Men Pure Sport, our first ever laundry product for men, adds softness and fights lint, it infuses clothes with a clean, fresh, sporty scent.

Tired of regular dryer sheets making you sprout ovaries? Try Bounce FOR MEN!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Cicadalek posted:

Hygiene stuff 'for Men' is always hilarious/pathetic in how much it tries to overcompensate. Always SERIOUS colours, usually dark, and quite often they try to look 'practical'. Thank god my shampoo bottle has this gun-grip texture on it, otherwise I might drop it when I'm lumberjacking or some poo poo.

I bought a carpet cleaner the other day that has tire tread on the trigger. I didn't realize it until I got home and wondered why the hell it felt so weird.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

queserasera posted:

I don't understand the appeal of Keurig machines. I guess it's a marketing success?
I had the chance to be part of a marketing survey for Keurig a couple weeks ago, so I said what the hell. Apparently they're coming out with a make-your-own granola bar machine. Damned if that doesn't sound like the stupidest thing ever, but I'm sure K-cups also sounded stupid at the time, so...

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

pentyne posted:

Tea drinkers know what's up and don't voluntarily consume acidic tasteless swill made from burning beans to a crisp and then boiling them till all flavor has vanished.

:hfive:

Although I'll admit, strong black tea with honey gets me through rough work days.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Amazon Warehouse had 15% off, so my husband and I got a great deal on a new TV :shrug:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know how expensive the overhead is for a mattress store, but there's a shop in Milwaukee (http://www.hassless.com/) that has no staff. Someone (presumably the owner) comes in, opens the doors, turns on the lights and leaves. If you want to buy anything, there's a big phone number on the wall where you call in to the owner directly and he'll come in and do all the paperwork. Presumably the merchandise is all chained to the floor or otherwise secured, and I would hope there are security cameras so no team of guys just comes in and robs the place blind, but that whole scenario seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

That sounds awesome. The last time I went to buy a mattress, the only other person in the store was the sales guy. And he was the saddest, most desperate salesman I'd ever met.

I ended up buying a mattress online, since the thought of going through that again just wasn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
They generally seem a lot lighter and easier to carry around than a lot of competing brands. I love my Sennheisers, but they're not something I can just slip in my bag and go. Bose's Quiet Comfort are probably the easiest I've travelled with, but they're still bigger and more expensive than the base model Beats. I could see why they'd appeal to people.

e: Full disclosure, I don't have Beats, so they could be pieces of poo poo for all I know. But I see people wearing them all the time on my daily commute.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jul 29, 2015