Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Wasn't Hetalia originally made as a parody? I remember reading somewhere that the creator said "I'm going to make the most offensive and ridiculous thing I can, and there's no way people will miss the gag" then everybody missed the gag and he was kinda just rolling in money at that point so he kept going with it.

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Well hey it's not like they're doing anything really bad like preventing people from uploading gameplay videos of Nintendo games to Youtube without an affiliate agreement or literally selling a handheld that cannot be used out-of-box because it doesn't come with a charger

The 3ds doesn't come with a charger in most of the world because of e-waste laws, this is nothing new.

E:

Baram posted:

nintendo selling region locked consoles in 2015

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2014/11/05/nintendo-may-reconsider-position-on-region-locking/

quote:

Today however, it is clear that the advantages of region locking have been proved weak at best and don’t bring benefits to customers, such blocks ought to be dropped.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

In the EU and many other countries it has never come with a charger because of the electroic waste laws.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mouse Dresser posted:

Marineland is awesome. There is a pit full of the laziest bears on earth and you can feed them special bear snacks. Toss what looks like a corn pop at a lazy fat bear and it catches it in its mouth. If it doesn't catch it it just looks at you like you threw it badly.

Marineland should forgo the commercials of the rollercoasters and dolphins and just have 30 quiet seconds of fat bears lazily eating snacks.

Edit: When I went about 10 years ago, the snacks for them were specially designed bear food with powdered vitamins sprinkled onto it. The person selling it was careful to tell everyone who bought some that it is for the bears, and while not toxic to humans, not a good idea to eat as the vitamin content it was higher than humans need. And the bears had teeth (you can see two bears with teeth in the photo).

Marineland has been in and out of the news lately for some pretty gross mistreatment of their animals, though tbf I don't remember anything about the bears.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember that episode because Bones actually says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

That was also the first episode that he used that phrase in

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cleretic posted:

McDonald's potentially failing is such a weird thing to hear, just because I really can't imagine what McDonald's failing would look like. Whether they scale back, or push until they implode, I really can't picture the events surrounding such an occasion.

A slow scaleback over a few decades as well as livelier chains buying up their old locations. Plus who knows how long they'll last overseas, there's always the chance that they mostly disappear in north america and europe but continue to exist in other markets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think the "hey, in the U.S., they change Facebook, people bitch, then accept it, so he thought it would work in India, too" point hit the nail on the head.

It's sad that after not achieving total digital domination of a country of a billion+ people on his first try, rather than settle for something like a charity project to help the millions without Internet access get online, he just packed his toys up and went to China. I'd call him a turd, but he's currently pissing off the GOP mad style over something so ridiculously stupid that it's nearly unbelievable, so I'll cut him some slack.

Mark Fuckerberg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I do not understand who could possibly get a lootcrate or other subscription box for more than a couple months and not think "I have to much of this now" to themselves.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

Podcast ads are bad, ads for podcasts are the worst. I only listen to a few McElroy bros programs on the MaxFun network and without fail every ad for other shows on it is a grab bag of insufferable 30-somethings that sound like cartoon characters and are incapable of actually giving you a reason to care about them and their hot pop culture scoops when it's the entire show. And considering how quickly they hemorrhage shows and then bring on more garbage to replace them I don't think anyone is actually interested in what they keep pushing.

MaxFun seems like the wooooooorst part of the Mcelroy family of shows.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Common names are usually very wrong in dumb ways.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Those are $50 CAD, :canada:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Nitrox posted:

Looks like Bobcat service consistently sends out less than $.50 worth of random garbage, plus shipping. If the process is automated, someone is making a killing out there

It seems much less fun than it sounds!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I still don't quite understand how this thread evolved from making fun of bad marketing to suckers paying for badly printed jpegs of trains.

Me neither

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I can't believe that anyone is still being tricked by blindboxes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

stringball posted:

Why the hell do you guys listen to the radio when you can get an FM transmitter for like 12 bucks that plugs into your phone if you don't have an auxiliary jack

Radio seems like it's 40℅ ads and some them are awful to listen to

Lots of cars don't have auxiliary jacks.

E: I read this worng but yeah, Last Chance is right and FM transmitters are garbage.

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Aug 20, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Arby's isn't really obnoxious with its pandering. It's not yelling "LOOK AT HOW COOL WE ARE EPIC MEME," it's just going "Here's a thing I made out of a fry carton, it looks like Bender. Well, bye."

I think it's dumb and pandering and also Arbys isn't very good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Somfin posted:

It's high-effort and cute, and clearly made by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

That doesn't contradict what I posted

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Red Bones posted:

The Natural History Museum in London is pretty interesting in that the gift shop stuff ranges from £6 dinosaur toys and stationary and all that cheap poo poo to high-end jewelry, clothes and art prints costing upwards of £100. Most of the museums I've been in just have priced-up cheap crap, but that museum has some real upmarket stuff too.

You can buy a legit suit of armour for thousands of dollars at the Royal Ontario Museum gift shop.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
If the ads for it on MBMBAM are any indication then it's probably garbage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

That's just the supplementary podcast where he talks to experts who appeared on the show and yeah, the podcast is boring as hell.

Also all MaxFun ads are bad anyway.

MaxFun seems like trash and their ads have made me actively avoid any non-Mcelroy shows they host.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tagichatn posted:

Liminal States was really cool.

Yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Blue Pyramid posted:

It's like when Diageo made all their beers smaller but kept the prices the same. It's a bad move in that they're selling you a 12 pack of Guinness that realistically only contains about 11 beers, but a good move as it saves the company plenty over the long term and nobody really notices.

Yeah I started getting some decent stuff too, the bottle opening lizard keychain made it worth it for me. Plus its fun seeing packages from Laos and Malaysia pop up every so often

Unsubscribe you dumb fucker

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

The whole BiaB discussion had made me morbidly curious and I started looking up unboxing stuff besides what is on their website. There was this dumb one where a guy and his two kids used puppets for the unboxing, but they actually went through all 30 days in the video. More than 2/3rds of the month they got little chinsy thin plastic "tools" of little to no known purpose. They did get a couple necklaces too, and a couple cat toys. I do wonder if you can get anything better at all with savvy keyword manipulation (for example, searching for one of my main interests, horror, results in a ton of dollar dvds on ebay) but I somehow doubt it.

Remember that it's $1 and free shipping, which guarantees that you would never actually get something cool.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Merkinman posted:

Hello good sir/madam, I would like your goods/service. Oh? That's the fee? No thank you. I'll just take it for free anyway since I'm entitled to it because reasons.

Enjoy you're malware

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pastry of the Year posted:

Frustrated, talentless, unpublished artists/writers/etc reblogging and retweeting the admonitions of their more successful role models to NOT 👏 WORK 👏 FOR 👏 EXPOSURE 👏 is also a pretty entertaining pattern of wish-fulfillment and halo-sharing, once you pick up on it

Actually working for exposure is a really lovely thing to ask someone to do if you're going to make money off something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They literally put it next to total views? That's a valid complaint, then.

(I guess I just assume everyone who works at ad companies "knows" their ads are mostly ignored. Is that not the case?)

Ad Men are loving idiots who's business is not based in reality

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Moderation is the best answer to most problems, compromise more than one side winning and the other side losing.

Which is why our current 2-party partisan politics system is so loving awful :911:

Gays should be able to marry, but their marriages should only involve one person.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Door Frame posted:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste/

Technically yes, but America has been terrible at properly disposing nuclear wastes. Just look at St. Louis, they have an active, subterranean garbage fire releasing radioactive and carcinogenic materials that were illegally dumped into a regular landfill. That same fire is slowly burning its way towards the leftover materials from the Manhattan Project that were kind of properly buried in a nearby landfill. There's also tons of weird bone, thyroid, and appendicular cancers in the area around Coldwater Creek, which is supposed to be fed by run off in the area surrounding the Manhattan Project landfill. And it's also the 20th largest population center in America, with nearly 3 million people in the metropolitan area

If the EPA had anything resembling teeth, I would be 100% for nuclear energy, but American regulations on the issue are depressing. I like windfarms, they're eerily quiet, but very pretty to watch in motion

Windfarms kinda suck because they murder the poo poo out of bats and aren't cost-efficient at all. Solar and Hydro seem like the best choices for renewable power these days.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Door Frame posted:

:saddowns:
I thought it was just migratory birds that had the problem, like geese. North American bats have enough problems with White Nose Syndrome, I only saw 4 bats all summer and I used to see them ever other night

Bugs like the white paint a whole lot, which attracts bats. Bats are tiny and the negative air pressure from the blades explodes their lungs. It really really sucks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

pienipple posted:

I really want solar road technology to work out.

Those are somewhere between a success and a failure because on the one hand they've gotten a ton of money and on the other they're complete unworkable bullshit that is a waste of time and money for anyone involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZdshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZBrHqTJk4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZSXB3KDF0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjbKYNcmFUwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6kowyvreY

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Aww poor bats! I wonder if there would be a safe and financially feasible way to keep extra bugs from being attracted to the paint. I remember making a long drive past some wind farms in Indiana or Illinois (can't recall which) and they were amazing.

Just being a different colour would make a huge difference but bats are also very curious and will go and investigate wind turbines on their own. I hope that if turbines keep going up that someone solves the bat/bird issue but right now it's kinda grim.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Strudel Man posted:

Let's pay Elon Musk to shoot it into yonder sun.

Only if he goes up with them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Scarodactyl posted:

There is no real canon. Only the first film happened. The second and third are legends told about this larger than life Road Warrior. Hence why there are intentional continuity errors like him having the intrceptor again for some reason. I'd say that that likely extends to Fury Road as well.
More importantly Miller didn't have much to do with the comics anyway.

Actually the first film was also fictional

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

I got really confused and thought you guys were talking about the lore of the m&m ads.

M&M stands for Max & Mad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

You just know the real reason they refuse to release the sales figures - if the costumes were actually selling you know they would use the popularity as a defence, as it is they are a bad idea that isn't selling but they are doubling down for "~Tradition~"

They probably just don't want to have to trash a warehouse worth of costumes that aren't selling anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I spent the nuke scene in CoD4 hopping and crouching on the junglegym

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

I think you're kind of missing the point if you're talking about a setting that's specifically fictional so that it can change around things like racism and sexism. It's like claiming Game of Thrones is engaging in historical revisionism for not accurately depicting race relations in medieval Europe.

I think we'd have a problem if people were whitewashing a legitimate historical setting, like if they actually did something set in an otherwise accurate 1890s and had outright false depictions of how colonialism acted (like all the real fiction from back then that depicted Africans as just frizzy-haired monkeys), but we're talking about blatant fiction with steam-powered mecha and Victorian laser beams. That's not exactly the setting where you expect realistic depictions of history.

Considering the first steampunk book was explicit about how lovely the empire was and everything since then has been Lord Wankenshire jizzing on gears, I have to say that the idolization of the colonial period is still really gross.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
None of the awful parts of The Division matter because it's a terrible game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

https://twitter.com/bebopanapolis/status/821148907367448576