Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The target audience: neo‐Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The EV1’s marketing was so bad, possibly intentionally. :tinfoil:

This television spot is exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g7cgUm7o9k

It’s creepy as gently caress, from the music, to the narrator’s voice, but especially the shadows on the pavement. They are reminiscent of nothing so much as the permanent shadows left by victims of atomic bombings, an association enhanced by the tone of the piece.

I’m also not convinced that “it’s a wonder this car moves at all!” was the right way to spin the technology, but compared to the imagery of the commercial that’s a minor issue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bip Roberts posted:

It is probably useful for them to point out that darkly colored beer isn't more caloric, which a lot of people seem to think.

They could have worded it something like “Naturally 125 Calories”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Taking the fun out of funeral. :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wanamingo posted:

I'm not quite sure I understand which market they're trying to grab.

Millennials.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The George W. Bush administration was a dark time, but I like to think I could hold my tongue if millions of dollars were on the line.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Plus, if you hydroplane it doesn't matter how loving big your truck is. Well, actually it does, because bigger means more inertia means you'll take longer to regain control once your wheels meet pavement again.

Yeah, but more mass also means you slow less abruptly when you plough into that oncoming family sedan, which is good for your survivability.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zaphod42 posted:

I was never a fan of the original pepsi logo but the new one is the same thing but dumber. What is it supposed to be, a sailboat? I dont' get it.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sure some marketing person got a raise over that campaign though :v:

Oh man you need to see the design firm’s PDF.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

muscles like this? posted:

A couple of years ago one of the big cereal companies got in trouble because they put labels on all their kids brands saying that they were good for the immune system when they didn't really have any proof.

Good for the immune system!*

*compared to starvation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dogfish posted:

(And sometimes I get something that was cross-contaminated and feel terrible for a couple of days.)

Restaurants are more aware of what gluten is these days, but I’ve wondered how seriously they take it. Are incidents of cross‐contamination more frequent?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Dec 16, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mu Zeta posted:

John Boyega

Chewie was snubbed again!

At least Boyega is still there in minuscule form.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ramos posted:

That is completely intentional and exactly why you took notice of the ad.

Yeah, vitamin D deficiency is a serious issue in the sub‐arctic.

This is a great move in marketing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mulva posted:

They are literally praying to a golden calf. Literally the exact example of idolatry called and recalled in the Bible over a dozen times. I can't even.

It’s a fully‐grown bovine. That’s totally different.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Jan 26, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RagnarokAngel posted:

What are you even talking about, mashing together 2 random words for an insult is like, basic Internet flaming.

Oh yeah? That’s what a discombobulated chair would say.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that PuppyMonkeyBaby is supposed to be so bad that people talk about it.

It seems to be working.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have Enrique watch the ads for you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bongwizzard posted:

Someone is trying to monetize a product/service that they don't charge for? loving shocking I tell you.

Dumb moves in marketing: making your advertising annoying enough that people seek out adblockers, shooting your business model in the foot.

But unfortunately it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strudel Man posted:

It's an odd choice to begin with. "Red" isn't really associated with the premium or otherwise better version of something, as for example "gold" would be.

Red carpet. Red letter day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lady Naga posted:

I would say that if I am compelled to do something through external pressures, I am not at fault for doing it.

Don’t read this article.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish it was illegale to have sirens and souds of car accidents in loving radio commercials.

It is, though. Report it to the FCC.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The bot is still smarter than Microsoft execs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skaw posted:

Certainly developed the political opinions of a Teen Girl. Good job, Microsoft.
It’s learning:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Depressio111117 posted:

Pretty benign as dumb marketing moves go, but I fail to see much of a connection between food safety and The Chipmunks.

Food and rodents don’t mix.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

With a title like that, how could that possibly not be a serious article written by an Objectivist journalist

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think registered donors should get priority on the waiting list if they themselves are later found to need organs.

Choco1980 posted:

Ugh, as someone that has received several transplants, that kind of behavior disgusts me. Honestly, what they need to do is change it to an opt-OUT system rather than opt-in. There'd be a lot more people just going with it if they didn't have to do anything extra. Whenever I renew my license, the clerks are always pleasantly surprised that I actually want to pay the extra three dollars for the check mark on the back of mine.

I feel the checkbox is in kind of bad taste. If a person has now just agreed to donate their priceless organs, do you really need to ask them for petty cash?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Apr 12, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krispy Kareem posted:

Since we're talking about donor poo poo, it's stupid easy to become a marrow donor. You swab your cheek and get put in the donor database. Odds are you'll never be a match for anyone, but you never know.

And if you're a minority it's even more important because marrow donations are race specific and the vast majority of donors are White.

I’m cool with donating blood or, in the event of my untimely demise, donating organs, but donating bone marrow involves serious surgery.

The worst thing would be to get in the database and get that call without knowing you’re ready to commit.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well they still have videos before the previews that say "turn off your goddamn phones people". They might not enforce it but they at least request it.

Those preview are almost worse than the texting itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All the hate for the name just proves it’s the perfect choice. :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kizudarake posted:

I almost took a discount flight into NYC right after 9/11. The only problem was, it landed at the Empire State Building. sorry, gilbert

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Failing to register <brandname>.org:

http://www.powerade.org/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

I feel sorry for the ladies involved in this: odds are, it's probably the only time they will be on TV and it's not really something that you can feel proud about, or want to tell your grandchildren.

I doubt it. I used to know a guy who did T.V. commercials. It was a side job for him. He was sometimes a T.V. or movie extra, too.

If you already have experience in the industry, why not continue? It’s not your fault the commercial was lame.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guy Mann posted:

Possums and opossums are two completely different animals but there is no way I'm going out of my way to pronounce the "o" and make them less cute in the process.

The Australian animals are always “possums”, but the North American animals can be either, and if anyone tells you otherwise, they’re a oval office.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mierenneuker posted:

This post reminded me that this was a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie

Dumb moves in marketing: claim that the monkey pressed the shutter to bring your photo attention, simultaneously forfeiting all rights to the photo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, glue is great for sone things, but I don't use it for anything that even has the slightest chance of having to come apart again. Some of those construction adhesives are brutal.

When I glue things I might want to take apart, I use something I can chemically attack, like cyanoacrylate with acetone (as long as whatever I’m gluing isn’t also ruined by acetone), or something I can just scrape off, like silicone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

republicant posted:

It only narrows things down to about 50 different houses within a half mile from my house and doesn't reveal my name, so I'm not too worried about it.

I count eight houses, and that’s just the limitation the first free online tool I found.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bast Relief posted:

Saw a banner add where McDonalds eschewed the red and gold for a wholesome, healthful green color, to announce the better quality of meat in their nugs.

When I think of wholesome meat, green is the first colour to come to mind.

Red meat? :barf:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Violet_Sky posted:

http://mashable.com/2016/08/17/harambe-water-slide-australia/#70S4UBpFROqw

A park let the internet name a water slide. The name chosen was Harambe.

That’s a great name by Internet standards.

They could have named it “Hitler did nothing wrong”, “Slidey McSlideface”, or “Gushin’ Grannies”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ElwoodCuse posted:

literally everything the Cincinnati Zoo tweets now gets mention-bombed by people talking about Harambe

They should get mention‐bombed by people talking about Martha and Incas.

Non Serviam posted:

Having said that, Wtf is the relation between those and a science museum?

It’s a lesson in the dismal science.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Waffleman_ posted:

They're artificially grown and cost pennies to make, so they cost a significant fraction of what diamonds cost

A significant fraction? I think you mean the opposite.