Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rondette posted:

They always look so sad, it makes me sad.

I'd be sad too if they'd taken a pic of me right after I lost bowel control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What's so bad about that? Besides the whole "advert for lawyers" thing which I've always found weird.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

I love adblock just because watching internet marketing people flail impotently, swearing that they're totally going to get adblocker software declared illegal because mumble mumble and then they'll get to keep their cushy SEO jobs forever, is funny as gently caress.

I love this, because it's one of the most... Big Business (TM) ways to go about it. Obviously, not every site can go "Hey, we saw you're blocking the ads. Could you... Not? I know, they suck, but they help keep LParchive/dongs.org/swap-avi-archive.net running, so please?", but I'm sure that a lot of people are sympathetic to that kind of message (I know that the first thing I did when switching to uBlock was to whitelist LParchive, even though I don't visit all that often).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

So Google Adsense pulls your partnership if too many people click on an ad? Now I REALLY don't understand how anyone thinks banners are profitable.

I can understand a sudden surge of clicks being suspicious, cause otherwise any rando with half an hour could set a bot to auto-click every 30 seconds, but if what PhazonLink says is true then drat, that's some flaw right there.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

The only subscription box thing I'd probably do is one I saw that mails you Japanese candies and snacks, because at least you could eat the things in the box and you wouldn't have to deal with them being around. Also Japanese candy is good.

There is one that does snacks and candies from all over the world, not just Japan , and it's apparently pretty nice from the videos I've seen. Called MunchPak I think?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

cheerfullydrab posted:

Emojis are just hieroglyphics or, at the best, ideograms. As a Something Awful Forums poster, you may know how to translate all kinds of them.

Weren't hieroglyphics just normal letters (ie. no inherent meaning to the symbol), as compared to ideograms?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, and Catholics aren't supposed to eat red meat on Fridays, but we usually only follow that during Lent.

Hardcore Orthodox people fast for 7 weeks before Easter. No meat, not just on Fridays. The really hardcore do it for a few weeks before August 15.
Most people just eat whatever, with only Clean Monday being seafood day.

pienipple posted:

Yeah. If it would cause harm to you, like refusing a needed medicine because it's pork derived or fasting when you're sick, you're supposed to break the laws. Basically don't hurt yourself to demonstrate devotion, if you need pig insulin to control your diabetes you take it and Allah is glad that you are caring for yourself.

I imagine it's under similar rules that say that it's okay for pregnant people and travellers to be more flexible, right?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Platystemon posted:

People watching hate videos aren’t the kind of people who flag hate videos for offensive content. :ssh:

They are, they just don't flag the same videos they're watching :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

enigmahfc posted:

it seems like a cool place.

That seems like an easy thing to know about Iceland tbh :v:

Fast edit: if I wasn't phone posting, I'd be writing a thread fitting thing about how Iceland ans Greenland seem to have the opposite name from what they are (Iceland being pretty green, and Greenland quite icy)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

But like they're still fighting off aliens with high tech military gear right? Did he turn the suit into some kind of water purification device in a post credits sequence I missed?

No, but I think he majorly dismantled Stark Industries's (Industries'?) weapons programs. Didn't the main baddie of IM1 fight him over that? It's been a while

RagnarokAngel posted:

The devs said that when they started this game there was no overt intended political message. I believe them.

But of course 2017 got weird and there was no way to have the premise of this game not be political so they just said "gently caress it" and embraced it.

How does a Wolfenstein game without an overt message happen? Since the 3D one, it's all been about killing Nazis, including mecha-Hitler, and The New Order included ancient Jewish technology, a concentration camp, an outright discussion of how wrong the Nazis were in some regards (for example considering Polish Jew BJ Blazkowicz to be a perfect Aryan specimen), and more.

Then again, it used to be that it wasn't cool to be associated with Nazis/the KKK so that's changed too

Serperoth has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Oct 7, 2017

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Athens (Greece, not Georgia) had one based on Schindler's List

Also one called Guantanamo. I've been in that one, it's not bad. Minus the connontations, of course.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

apparently if any other character picks up the crown they just get ten coins, assuredly pawning it off for value

So it turns Toadette into a Peach lookalike, but everyone else into Wario?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

evobatman posted:

A low cost haircut chain thought this would be a good idea for a commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S60BsERwbTA

That's 40 euro for some bangs drat.

Also, the ad could've been fine, minus the just-barely-offscreen loving.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

You can absolutely get stuff like that, and it's not actually all that expensive, compared to poo poo like Hermés.

An extremely nice tailor-made suit from high-quality Merino wool can be had for less than $2500, no problem. Or much less than that if you get it made in Asia while on vacation. One of my colleagues had two Merino wool suits made in India a couple of year ago for like $850 total, and they are outrageously nice.

I'm sure you can get a very nice set of custom-made boots for like $1-2000. As a bonus, they can be repaired and restored and resoled for decades to come.

This is what smart people with money do. They get bespoke stuff made for quality, not for flashing the brands.

There's a bit like that in Discworld. Vimes is rich enough to spend 50$ on boots, to never need another pair in his life, because they'd be sturdy enough, but he still likes his 5$ ones, in a cardboard box, that last a year. He muses that the rich stay rich by being rich enough to not spend money on upkeep pretty much.

I imagine it scales up to a house at least. Spend 100k on a house, and you own a house, all you have to do is maintain it (not free, but see further). Can't spend 100k? Rent, rear end in a top hat, 500+ a month, or it's the bus stop for ya.
Numbers are out of whack, but yeah.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I remember some sort of article that basically going "You need to be rich to be poor". You get a good quality product with a larger price and it'll last much longer, but you can only afford the low-cost one which ends up being more expensive, local groceries being more expensive than in far away supermarkets, but you'll need a car and so on.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160315132013/http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-being-poor/
https://web.archive.org/web/20160822095847/http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-stupidest-habits-you-develop-growing-up-poor/

It's gotta be one of those two, I almost guarantee it. He mentions for example how much they'd be able to save on TP if they could buy the more expensive (but more cost-effective) value pack with more rolls. Maybe a long shot and it's the article about his bedridden mum who, shame on her decadent filth, owns a refrigerator.

Also Cracked has gone full scorched earth and has removed their old stuff huh?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samuringa posted:

It was definitely not a clickbait page from Cracked, I meant an actual article.

That was back when Cracked did actual articles. Clickbait-y, but they've done some good pieces.

Whitlam posted:

I think it was specifically John Cheese, who was accused of being a sex pest (and basically copped to it, iirc).

Ah I had no idea. Good riddance to him then, that's why archive.org exists

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

You have never met my little brother, friend.

Neither have a lot of other people, since he was never to be seen again :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sereri posted:

well who does viral marketing better than Corona right now

Niiiiice

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's classic cheap day-off wear, you just have to take a second to tell folks it's bleach, not cum. Maybe just put it on a sticker tag or something.

The sale price is 89 dollars.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

89 * 0.78 = 69.42(0)

:eyepop:

That is a deep, deep cut, what I come to this site for. Also because I can't go outside in my cum clothes.

I wasn't even joking I was pointing out the comment about it being cheap but :captainpop: about that math

And yeah I missed the pound sign, way too used to seeing dollars on internet prices

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Shroud posted:

Vatican City?

Past tense, not present

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Paper Tiger posted:

Jonah's locked behind micro-transactions, you pretty much have to be a whale in order to get him.

Meanwhile, I'm just swimming in Noah shards

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Byzantine posted:

μαλακίζομαι

Your onanistic habits, while clearly important to you, are better off not shared in the Dumb Marketing Moves thread. But I'm glad you're enjoying yourself :agesilaus:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

You got to sell these sets somehow

This.
It's all pretty much traceable. Standard (the main format the game is played in), had had very few bans in its lifetime. There was one big one in Urza's block, in 1999, because that was a set before they started figuring things out, then in 2004-2005 the Mirrodin block had another few bans because the synergy had been just too strong, which led to a period of quiet.
Things continued smoothly until 2011, with no Standard bans. In 2011, Jace the Mind Sculptor (posted above), and Stoneforge Mystic were banned. Strong cards, but just pushed a bit too far, and Wizards seemed to take them as a lesson.

So we went from 5 years without a ban, to 6 years without one, pretty fair, can't be perfect all the time.

Things are good until January 2017, when another 3 cards were banned, and the ban schedule changes. Another 6 years without a ban, fair enough. In April's scheduled ban announcement, no bans, then two days later, they revised it to ban a common card which was part of a two-card infinite combo, something that should've been caught before the two saw play together. June saw another card banned, making it a year with three separate bannings (total of five cards).
January 2018, another four cards are banned. We've gone from going years between bans, to basically having them be part of regularity, within the span of a year.
February 2019, a card is banned from the online Standard game (separate to the paper one). August sees an unbanning from Standard, but the card remains banned online. So far so good, until October, which sees a card banned from paper, and November sees another three (including the non-Jace planeswalker mentioned above).
2020 sees stuff ramping up more. Two cards banned in June, another four in August, and another one now in September, and yet there's still "problematic" cards that are not addressed.

It feels very cynical to me, how pushed cards are printed, you basically need them to compete, they sell their packs, then they get banned. Magic is supposed to have the advantage of set rotation (you basically can't use cards older than a certain time etc), compared to Yu-Gi-Oh! (which just has a banned and restricted list), but with multiple bans a year, it kinda shakes your faith in the whole situation.

Edit:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

The thing is, there's an obvious way to cut this Gordian knot, and it's just... the inverse of what they did for Godzilla.

Unless the cards' mechanics are TWD-specific somehow, it wouldn't be very hard to just refluff them into a generic zombie block that conveniently has cards with all the same mechanics in the event they lose the TWD license.

The Head Designer for Magic has said that they can do functional reprints of them, printing them with different names, like you said.

Serperoth has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Oct 1, 2020

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cleretic posted:

My favorite instance of show-game non-synergy is Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Because it's an iconic card that got a bunch of support so it could be more viable, and Kaiba uses some of those cards in the show... but he's the only person in the world who owns that card. So it's never stated, but it can only mean that in-universe there's cards being printed for exactly one person to ever use.

Weren't Pegasus's Toon cards also exclusive to him?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

COVID 19 isn’t the virus, you fucks! :argh:

That really irritates me for some reason.

Watch them make that argument. "We never claimed it protects you from nCoV, just the COVID-19 pathogen"
"There's no such thing"
"You're welcome"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Platystemon posted:

The Euro trucking devs are blaming it all on a bad translation, but the problem is deeper than that.

The context is that they added vaccine trucking to the game as a special mission or something of that nature.

So they decide they have to appease antivaxxers by making a statement about how the addition of this content is not an endorsement of vaccines. There verbiage may have become stronger in translation than in its original language, but it was a boneheaded statement that deserves to be pilloried either way.

On my fifth or so time reading it I realize that they probably are going for a "this event is a celebration of truckers, in our game about trucking, who are gonna be busy these days, not a statement about vaccines" thing? Not sure why that would need to be said, since, shockingly, the game Euro Truck Simulator 2 is all about trucking but that's my guess

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

hyperhazard posted:

- tumblr algorithm picked up the word "twitter" after a post criticizing it and decided that was the best place to advertise twitter

No such thing occurred, tumblr staff couldn't write an algorithm to do that in a million years :v:

Then again I have adblock on all the time so maybe there's non-crazy ads on there too

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Well there are definitely chickens whose texture isn’t as offputting and is far more meatlike, like the texture of a game bird. There’s this big ol’ breed in Brazil that is way better than farmed American chickens. Probably still wouldn’t try it raw unless it had been irradiated or something.

A Goiania specialty

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Just go to a burg joint that has a cobalt-60 source.

Brazilian food is kind of a rarity where I am

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm Greek, "bird" is used as a word to refer to a dick. This is the closest I've been to being interested in college sports (except for the Jon Bois video about that DeVry basketball game)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pookah posted:

My mother was a young adult when the switch from pounds/shillings/pence to decimalization happened and she says they were all worried that the new currency would be super confusing. They had like, farthings, hapennies, pennies, thruppeny bits, sixpences, shillings, florins, half crowns, 10 shilling coins and that's just the coinage.

There's a joke like that in a Pratchett book too, never fails to make me crack a smile

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

AND a "Who's on first"-style joke (except get it, the guy's name is Yu!), in the year of our lord 2007.

OK but Who's On First is absolutely timeless, it never fails to get at least a chuckle out of me.

I don't think it makes up for the rest of the film though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

It was an Under Pressure joke to me, I'm not sure if that's what everyone else was going for though

Deedee Megadoodoo is how a news anchor pronounced the name Deidre Mengedoht, a cop who had died. I believe poster 3D Megadoodoo is named after that?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a naked gun reference.

Surely you can't be serious

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I can't speak for the US-specific gambles, but the topic is pretty funny when you compare to Europe, where I counted at least nine of the twenty kits in the Premier League having the chest sponsor be a betting organization (and I might have missed some).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BMan posted:

A basic bread dough is just flour, water, yeast, and salt. And the salt is there to slow the yeast the gently caress down

One time the bakery we used to get our bread from forgot to our salt in the dough, and the bread was inedible. For some reason that's an enduring memory of mine.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Food delivery is fine in concept, the problem is the main sites that do it skim an absurd amount off the top.

QFT. In Greece, from the 2000s on, most fast-ish food (souvlaki, pizza, burgers etc) and coffee to go places delivered anyway, the delivery folks being paid by the store (not the best job from what I know). The biggest change is an app that they can opt into where it concentrates the stores rather than looking through all the paper menus. The app also has some delivery folks for places that don't have their own (like McDonald's), tips happen through it and it's pretty good.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Doggles posted:

Halo Infinite released a free nameplate this afternoon in celebration of Juneteenth. The name for the color palette for that nameplate was certainly a choice.

The color palette's name has since been updated to "Freedom." No word on it from the devs yet.

EDIT: Dev tweet.

https://twitter.com/Unyshek/status/1536850145668501504

So uh, why was the internal name that anyway? OK calling it Nameplate_Palette_69 would be inconvenient but uh, why not something not explicitly uhhhh that Nameplate_Juneteenth_22 there, done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CJacobs posted:

As the games take place in Africa when on Earth, all of the Spartan-side vehicles, paint jobs, you name it are named after African mammals. Warthog and the Mongoose probably the two most well known. But there's also the Sandcat, Jackrabbit, the list goes on. Presumably they just name the paint schemes and stuff the name of the animal even internally so they can publish it on any day they want to... and have just learned the reason not to schedule things that way and that your idea is much better.

Oh that does make sense, although again, maybe call it Giraffe or something? I'm sure there's African mammals which wouldn't have that immediate connotation.