Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Brocktoon posted:

I don't know what your problem is. That's all awesome.

It's extremely by-the-numbers. It's the Tumblr equivalent of the morning radio zoo crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not quite marketing, but who the hell picks out the horrible Muzak + "thank you for holding, we appreciate your patience!" messages I've been listening to for 15 minutes now (and this is for a .gov line)? While I'm sitting here with the phone stuck to my head, it occurs to me that ClearChannel (or any paying ASCAP entity) could make a mint piping some quasi-popular songs, plus advertising, versus this endless loop of off-brand Kenny G .

I actually like the off-brand Kenny G when I'm given a chance to actually listen to it without "thank you for holding, we appreciate your patience!" and/or other verbal spam interrupting it every six god-damned seconds.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

tbs very funny

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

tacodaemon posted:

She's yapping something about "emoji bootcamp" on her twitter, complete with a Norm Macdonald video I didn't watch: https://twitter.com/annalisabluhm/status/613022184919830528

I got through about thirty seconds of that. Even Norm couldn't make that anything short of embarrassing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"by makerhersquirt December 28, 2014"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

This

It's kinda bad form to say "This is the FIRST BURGER to not have BAD THINGS" when you are a burger place that has other burgers

This sort of reminds me of when I saw a chocolate chip cookie in a vending machine that said NEW! IMPROVED RECIPE. It made me feel like they were sort of loving with us. Cookie technology didn't just experience some sort of huge, previously inconceivable advance. The best chocolate chip cookie that our culture is ever going to make has already been made, guaranteed. If your job is making chocolate chip cookies and you're still working that poo poo out in the twenty-first century to the point that your announcement of an improvement is something you've got to advertise, then maybe I'll just keep waiting until you catch up with anyone who's ever put the slightest bit of effort into baking.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Here are (at least) two dumb moves in marketing in one image:

e: lol

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Jul 29, 2015

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

It happened with the gecko, too. The first couple commercials were about him being upset with Geico because people were mistaking his phone number for theirs and calling his house all the time, then somewhere along the line he started working for them.

I think this sort of thing happens with a lot of long-running advertising campaigns.

Because I'm about a hundred years old, I'll bring up the Energizer Bunny ad campaign. The original conceit was that the Energizer batteries in the drum-beating bunny toy were so long-lasting that they sort of uncontrollably wandered off the set of the Energizer commercial and onto the sets of other commercials. Thing was, there was only one original commercial that set up this premise. If you hadn't seen it, you might have wondered why you had watched a shoddy parody of a commercial that was interrupted by a pink rabbit beating a drum. This went on for years after the original commercial aired and it was more or less common knowledge that "oh, yeah, the Energizer Bunny wandered off the set."

It wasn't a dumb move, because by god, everyone knew the stupid Energizer Bunny - but it was just sort of weird in a pre-web world how there was a years-long chain of commercials and none of them referenced the original. They were so contagious and media was so limited that the linking thread was carried by their audience.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"We noticed you like looking at pictures of old radios and mod girls, so why not visit the official Tumblr of scrub-tier retailer TJ MAXX?"

I thought, yeah, okay, fish gotta swim and all that, but then it occurred to me that the person whose job it is to run the the official Tumblr of scrub-tier retailer TJ MAXX probably cannot afford to live with fewer than two roommates.

I would like to visit the mind of someone who independently made the decision to follow the official Tumblr of scrub-tier retailer TJ MAXX.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fateo McMurray posted:

Did tj maxx rape your dog or something

The story of the rape of my dog by scrub-tier retailer TJ MAXX has been thoroughly documented in the "rants and raves" forum of my local Craigslist; additionally, the alt.tjmaxx.fuckyou FAQ is always available and frequently updated at my website: https://www.geocities.com/Paris/LeftBank/9950

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

I know I may come off as an alcoholic

/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

Remember when white people were afraid of Dr. Dre and Ice Cube and Snoop Dogg?

To be fair, I'm still afraid of Suge Knight.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shh, nobody tell them.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

SpacePig posted:

What's sort of weird is that, even though he was closer to the actual Colonel than any of them, people found him the creepiest because he's farthest from how he's been portrayed in the last decade or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjGDDALPhBU

It's entirely different, it's entirely different.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Hello good sir/madam, I would like your goods/service. Oh? That's the fee? No thank you. I'll just take it for free anyway since I'm entitled to it because reasons.

How dare that fish eat the bait without obligingly plunging the hook through its lips

I'm not running some sort of piscine soup kitchen here

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

"Just think of the EXPOSURE you'll get. That's better than money"

Frustrated, talentless, unpublished artists/writers/etc reblogging and retweeting the admonitions of their more successful role models to NOT 👏 WORK 👏 FOR 👏 EXPOSURE 👏 is also a pretty entertaining pattern of wish-fulfillment and halo-sharing, once you pick up on it

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Actually working for exposure is a really lovely thing to ask someone to do if you're going to make money off something.

No, I definitely agree; it's just funny to me to see people who would never even be asked to work for as little as that going YEAH, RIGHT ON because it's important to the identity they've created for themselves.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:jerkbag:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That ring kicks rear end.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Snoo posted:

it took me like 30 seconds to find this on aliexpress for 50 cents and I can guarantee you it'll leave green poo poo on your finger, sorry. all of that kind of poo poo is just plated base metal :ssh:

I still think that ring kicks rear end.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

OK, the Hobby Lobby link just ruined octopuses for me in a way that not even a brass vagina with tentacles can remedy.

e: "handmade vulva art piece", thanks Aunt Sophia, my point stands

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hello, please buy my TRUMP WHITEHOUSE SWORD. It comes with a flag

The slightly less expensive TRUCKING FOR TRUMP comes with a little toy truck you can push around your "den" or "man cave"

If that is still too rich for your blood but you are intrigued by the combination of Donald Trump and transportation, please consider my TRUMP TRAIN knife

Or the MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN knife

Or the BLUE LIVES MATTER knife

If you cannot decide on a verb that adequately expresses your feelings on BLUE LIVES, I also have you covered

Other colors of lives are also available, the RED LIVES MATTER knife is accompanied by a plaque set in the popular and inexpensive "Courier" font

Something for the wife or daughter, the LADY CRUSH knife

My DEAL OF THE DAY was fashioned from the hide of one of the rare and valuable singing California Raisins of TV fame

Why not buy one hundred and twenty knives at once, including some ninja swords, in the form of my AMERICAN PRIDE COLLECTION

How about just some giant god damned CLAWS

(these images all came from LIVE KNIVES which is not my account but oh do I wish it were)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is my favorite YouTube channel

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phanatic posted:

We've also done it by shooting apples with mutation rays. Literally: exposing a bunch of seeds to gamma radiation sources to induce mutations and keeping and breeding the ones that germinated with useful traits.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Idgi :confused:

All I can tell is that the guys are photoshopped in.

The people in Jaguars' surveying pamphlet had that look of "poorly composited in," which reminded me of that infamous masterpiece of Chinese bureaucratic publicity:

Floating Chinese Government Officials Inspect New Road

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

I uh, just heard the weirdest ad on pandora.

*sexy seductive woman* ooh Santa, let me see that big package you have for me...
*sexy...santa?* not this time...this one is for your husband!
*woman* what?
*sexy santa proceeds to talk about xl sized pants*

What did I just listen to?!

She's clearly into fat dudes; that game was Santa's to lose.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dumb Marketing Moves: hey there's a little penis

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

There was a question on Quora asking how long it'd take for your pets to eat your slowly putrefying body.

By the time a dog got hungry enough you wouldn't be safe to eat. Cats will go right at it, but if they like you they'll at least spare your face.

I am not in a hurry to get killed, but I see nothing wrong with being eaten after I die.

Larry Hagman posted:

I want to be spread over a field and have marijuana and wheat planted and harvest it in a couple of years and then have a big marijuana cake, enough for 200 or 300 people. People eat a little of Larry.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Someone asked about David Rees's clipart comics in another thread, which reminded me of the time Jamba Juice ran an ad campaign that ripped him off completely (1), (2), (3).

quote:

Whoever made this ad is probably a 22 year-old “creative” at some ad agency in Tech Valley, CA. Way to think outside the box, sonny. Have fun snorting cocaine at the nightclub you go to with your friends who work at Twitter or wherever. And no, Adult Swim will NOT buy your stupid cartoon you’re developing with your housemates about four guys who work at an ad agency but are secretly lobsters.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

Man on radio: You can't see me, because I'm on the radio. And I cant see you, because I'm legally blind

I always stop and wonder how exactly this poor blind man thinks that radio works... apparently he thinks it's like reverse television, where everyone on the radio can actually see the people listening.

I laughed REALLY hard at this.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait? Should I buy small pastries on sale?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm imagining a freaked out higher-up calling the station, screaming "DON'T PLAY THAT EPISODE THAT'S ABOUT TO AIR" and the underpaid operator shrugging and popping in the Nice Boat tape.

I always wondered who was buying these

it's actually profoundly lonely people

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Len posted:

Welcome to the Something Awful forums where they also care about how other people like steak and circumcision.

fight me

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"SQUID OR rear end in a top hat?"

The answer is squid you dumb fucks because that's obviously an urban legend

I loving hate contemporary journalism

As long as we're putting urban legends to rest, is the person in your avatar weeping with high-set closed eyes, or raising her eyebrows over very tall eyes

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

who is this even for

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Whatever happened to the aerobiz lp? It was really good.

BUY MORE DOUG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

So what happened? Did Toys R Us sponsor the live stream of a giraffe birth for some reason?

Every Facebook friend of mine over the age of fifty has been insanely drawn into the eventual birth of this giraffe, and I couldn't tell you why that is, exactly, but the Toys R Us mascot has been a giraffe for longer than I've been alive, so at least I get the brand synergy there, if nothing else.