Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Snatch Duster posted:

Several years ago JC Penny got the bright idea to buy millions of backlinks from directory websites to help with their rankings on Google. For months JC Penny was ranking #1 on search terms that would make sense like "dresses", "shirts", and "rugs." But when this black hat seo scheme caused them to rank #1 on search terms "samsonite black leather briefcase" ahead of Samsonite, Google started to take notice. Google didn't lower their rankings back to where they were previously, Google instead just removed them completely from their index.

This caused JC Penny's traffic to drop by an estimated 70%. JC Penny fired their seo company, begged Google to relist them but Google had one stipulation, JC Penny needed to get all the scammy backlinks removed. This took months to do, but everyone doing this scammy poo poo quickly learned you don't gently caress with Google.

Here is a lengthy New York Times article on it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/business/13search.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1418676617-4rRL5o+WHAd4TFJv31BSgA

This is really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Nothing says "buy a mattress" like a 14 year old being shot in the face.

Jesus loving christ.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They also had Rosco's police cruiser, Boss Hogg's caddie, Daisy Duke's jeep and Uncle Jessie's pickup. I bet pretty much every kid who got one of those was horribly disappointed that it wasn't the General Lee.

My google fu says these came out in 1982, right when the actors playing Bo and Luke left (ironically due to a dispute over merchandising royalties) and were replaced by Coy and Vance Duke which lead to the ratings tanking.

This is awesome, I had totally forgotten I had this until I saw this post! I used the General Lee one in the sandbox.

And boo to Coy and Vance, even 5 year old me knew they sucked.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Pondex posted:

Compared to US chocolate it IS a deluxe chocolate from what I hear.

The U.S. is a big place and has plenty of good chocolates and chocolatiers. The grocery store chocolate is the stuff you are thinking of and yeah, it is pretty bland (hershey etc. ). That is where Ritter is played up as the "good" chocolate, because it is way better than Hershey's.

But it is available in every single Walgreens, so I don't know how people think that it is fancy highbrow stuff.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Alouicious posted:

Hug Those Dads is a pro-tier sign tho

Wanna hug that dad

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

-CHA posted:

Looking at a website for a restaurant you are curious about going to? If they identify as family friendly be prepared to be bombarded by pictures of kids being messy eaters.

This might be up for debate, but does identifying your restaurant with stuff like this really make people want to eat there? :psyduck:

Not for people without kids, but I know my sister is always worried that her normally well-behaved kids will decide to choose a restaurant for their place to throw a fit. So I imagine if she saw this on the restaurant website, she would know that it is a kid place and won't be judgmental if the kids have a bad time.

But it definitely doesn't make me want to eat there, that's for sure.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Rare Collectable posted:

It should be noted this is the updated, less copy-right infringing version of his Cashman persona. The first time he tried to run these ads he wore a fake Supeman outfit, resulting in a fair bit of legal trouble. Since I cant find the original ad heres him being interviewed in the costume. Used to go by this guys place on my way to and from high school so its pretty hard to forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0z9kMjgdM

What accent does the Cashman have? It doesn't sound Canadian.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Luckyellow posted:

I think they're trying to go for the message that everybody is getting older? The going uphill part obviously refer to how old folks would reminisce of the 'good old days' when they had to walk 5 miles to school uphill everyday... in the snow.

Yeah but they are still trying to tie cremation services to pictures of little kids, and that's hosed up no matter what they are trying to do with their sweet image macros.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

massive respect to you for sticking to your guns when your all argument is basically leaning out of your car window and shouting "kids!!!" at 50mph

Yes milennials are the first generation ever to be immune to the effects of advertising and truly blaze their own trail into the unknown and

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Seriously, what do you get out of pretending that was what anyone was saying? If you're so desperate to join the conversation why don't you join it by responding to the actual content, instead of making something up? Do you just need something to be mad at? Do you think you'll get attention if you provoke people into re-explaining their points to you using smaller and smaller words while you pretend you still can't understand they aren't saying this made-up thing?

The Top 10 Things Millenials Say On Internet Forums - Number 7 Will Leave Your Jaw On The Floor!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

GOOD THING NOBODY SAID THAT THEN

Don't you think you'd be better at your job if you learned how to read?

You're a forums treasure, you rascal.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Millennials are immune to advertising.

Wow dude that's a really crazy thing to say, why would you say that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

Dude this is really really basic stuff. If you're in an ad for a company you absolutely can't be in another ad using the competitor's product. Simple as that, of course it doesn't matter if you're playing another character. This is all standard contractual stuff in any ad ever made. Also Nintendo and Sony are competitors, in that they are both video game companies.

It is contractual, but it is not trademark violation. Most companies make their talent sign some kind of exclusivity agreement if they are going to be a major spokesperson, and he clearly violated that. But it has nothing to do with trademark.