Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Snatch Duster posted:

All these campaigns succeeded though?

People are still talking about them and the brands long after they stopped airing.

Every time someone articulates this stupid loving idea I feel a strong urge to adopt a kitten and throw it down a well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Patrick Bateman there would have two handfuls of plastic either way

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Radio Paranoia posted:

Sometimes a charity fucks it up royally by reducing it's beneficiaries to a glut of stereotypes.

The ad in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtcbotOur2E

Holy poo poo :stare:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Noyemi K posted:

Do not read the comments, whatever you do, DO NOT read the loving comments :gonk:
Save yourself future :gonk: and install a comment blocker:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/youtube-comment-snob/

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rough Lobster posted:

Isn't there a variation on this that replaces offensive and misspelled comments with quotes from physicists and other luminaries? My friend said he had something like that and it sounds pretty great.

A buddy of mine has one that examines each comment, and if it sees any misspellings or racial slurs, automatically changes the text to variations on "fart. FAAART. ~fart~ fart. Faaaart." I'm sure there's one out there that could do what you described. I just block 'em all when I'm browsing, but the fart machine is pretty goddamn funny at times.

edit:

quote:

This video is offensive! Are all Americans pedophiles? It's a little girl in a fleshtone suit posing seductively!

quote:

fart

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Dec 7, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nick_326 posted:

-The red thing with the lightsaber is actually a giant, and thus couldn't be riding on top of that monster.

The red thing is that monster. What the gently caress?

Also, if I had a dollar for every time Harvey Weinstein frustrated or straight up pissed someone off, I'd be worth half as much as he is

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Double Plus Good posted:

This commercial for Charter is currently the worst commercial on TV, to me. I know cable commercials are low hanging fruit they're all generally terrible and it doesn't seem to matter either way, but it's so bad, and seemingly endless, that we laugh every time it comes on. It just moves from one joyless, robotic scene to the next, on and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZj2bOETKik

My favorite part is when the black dude and pants lady do that neck dance move

Look into their eyes. That is the look of a man who knows he is not going to make it as an actor.

I like to think that at :10 the director's instructions were "okay when I say 'action' make them titty jiggle"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Elohssa Gib posted:

Not a commercial but definitely a dumb move the ID protection company LifeLock put the CEO's actual SSN on the side of a truck to show how good there service was.
http://www.wired.com/2010/05/lifelock-identity-theft/

Wasn't LifeLock a scam idea he came up with while in prison for fraud?

You know what really grows a brand? Having a loving felon market it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Millions of Crows posted:

Let's exam this, as it's the weirdest funniest thing in this thread. It starts weird and ends weirder which is off the scales and stars Kane from C&C

Joe Kucan has way better teeth than this guy.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rondette posted:

What about rebranding those weird exfoliating thingies as TOOLS for MEN to use?

I'm sure there is one here in the UK that looks like a tyre.

EDIT

Bahahah here it is.

Is "douche" a cognate in French? :laugh:

I tend to be goal-oriented when I'm in the health and beauty section. "Get poo poo to clean yourself, Fai." Then they start throwing TOOLS FOR MEN at me via those drat talking advertisements and it only motivates me to shop faster and spend less time there. I don't need TOOLS, I just need some unscented shampoo and unoffensive soap for my hygiene needs. Axe/Lynx bodywash makes you smell like you just woke up on a couch the morning after a college party all day long, and plastic TOOLS and other stupid doodads are just more poo poo to clutter up my shower MAN CLEANING FACILITY.

Is anyone really looking at that poo poo and thinking "drat, I've been waiting for someone to come out with a way to let me exfoliate my skin without looking like a FEMALE while I do it!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
e: nvm I can't read

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Jan 9, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

mr. mephistopheles posted:

To show you up-to-date ads so you can know about the company's most recent products!

And to verify that you haven't hacked the firmware, and to send in data about your viewing habits.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I went and saw the 3rd Hobbit film a week ago and there were over half an hour of ads and trailers before the film started.

The holiday release of the third film in a blockbuster trilogy? I'm surprised there weren't more ads.

davidspackage posted:

Still, the button to skip is right there on your remote: the fact that some dingus programmed the dvd so it doesn't work when I want it to really got on my tits the first time I watched a dvd.

UOP/PUO/whatever is the worst poo poo. Your options used to be
  • deal with it
  • buy a region-free player from a mystery seller in Taiwan
  • rip all of your discs, re-author them, then re-burn them
if you didn't want to deal with that poo poo.

"Hey, let's make it so the customer who paid full MSRP for this DVD can't skip or fast-forward though things we want them to see! It's a great idea!"

--someone in Hell

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Anora posted:

I had heard Dr. Pepper was first, but am unaware where to look up.

I have also heard that Coke and Pepsi are require to be the distributor of Dr. Pepper for anti-monopoly concerns.

Nope and nope. Dr. Pepper (and its family) are sometimes bottled and distributed by Pepsi, but only because it's cheaper to have them do it in some areas/situations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bigtom posted:

Working in radio, these are the worst when it comes to ads (many are written by salespeople people who stopped being creative right around the time New Coke came out, or they kluged it together by cribbing from the clients website. Or flyer):

-Need to make it a :60 or :30, but running short? Just repeat the phone number over and over again!

-When reading a URL, saying "double you double you double you dot whatever dot com." It's not 1995....you don't need that crap

-"Family owned and operated," "centrally located,' and other dumb cliches. If that's the best you can think of about your business, just stop.

-Having the client in the ad. Usually they can't read for poo poo, sound stiff with marbles in their mouth, and generally do it to feed their ego. Unless you're Frank Perdue or Lee Iacocca, don't do it. But salespeople will pitch that to the prospective client to close the deal, 'cause getting that commission now is WAY more important than trying to create a campaign that will actually work.

If you hear an ad that sucks, blame the salesperson or the client, as the people producing them and putting them on the air would rather not air awful commercials. But hey, the paycheck clears, so we go along with the plan....

'sup radio goon :cool::respek::cool:

I hate when the client insists upon being in the ad. We've got a whole building full of people who are trained in making radio ads and have been doing it for decades, but no, you go ahead and come do a single cold read of your lovely script and tell us it's "good enough" without hearing it played back.

"aitch tee tee pee colon forward slash forward slash double you double you double you dot bob's family bee bee queue dot net forward slash index dot aitch tee em ell" :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Rob Cockerham did a nasty writeup about the CASH4GOLD scheme and the company actually offered to pay him to take it down so their "secret" wouldn't get out (spoiler alert: It's a scam).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

nerdz posted:

Candy flavored Vodka? Who are you marketing this to? How about changing the name to Happy Vodka or Vodka Kids?

They're marketing to the 80 million Millennials that own a phone and have at least heard of the smash-hit app Candy Crush Saga.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Huntersoninski posted:

So does this thread really believe fruity sugary drinks were invented just for millenials? Because I have a really hard time believing college students haven't been making jolly rancher vodka since the dawn of jolly ranchers. If anything a new candy vodka is just companies catching up to poo poo kids have been doing themselves forever.

E: my boss has shared stories of candy drinks and college drunkenness and he's solidly Gen X

Nobody said that. The UV Sugar Crush posted earlier is certainly marketed toward young Millennials, but nobody's trying to argue that sugary drinks haven't been getting white girls drunk since the dawn of time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you buy hosting from GoDaddy, occasionally they'll call you up to see how things are going with it, and I always tell them I'm very satisfied with the product but their commercials are horrible. Their response is always "Ha ha, yeah, we get that a lot!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

When Coke was first available in China, no one really got the idea to actually try and keep the chinese translation the same between here and there so everyone was on the same page, which meant a lot of stores were having signs up saying COCA COLA with various characters for the KO, KA and LA sounds.

This led to a lot of stores offering Coke as "Bite the wax tadpole" or "Lady horse fastened with wax" before Coke got the official word out to use the symbols they chose, which mean "To allow the mouth to be able to rejoice".

They kinda owned up to it and used the mistranslations in ads for a while though, so it wasn't an entire failure.

Pepsi had the whole mistranslation that took "Come alive with Pepsi!" being made into "Pepsi will bring the dead to life".

thanks for the email grandma

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"Ack! I've just been shot in a hunting accident!"

"Oh poo poo man let's get you to the hospital!"

"It's no use, buddy. I'm hit in...the heart..."

"gently caress, dude! What should I do?"

"I wanna be cremated...take my body to...that place in St. Louis...the one with the funny memes"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

UnoriginalMind posted:

I checked the past few pages and didn't see anything about that "Macro Brew" ad that Budweiser put out. The entire thing boiled down to "We're not one of those SNOBBY CRAFT BREWS. We're BREWED HARD and don't taste like peaches." Uh. Okay.

Translation: "Help, craft beer is killing our sales and we have no way to differentiate our lovely pisswater from similarly priced lovely pisswater."

Thinking about it, I don't actually know anyone that drinks Bud Light or Budweiser. My generation skipped it, seems like.

They should've gone with "You know we're not a craft brewer because you don't choke on loving hops when you drink our beer"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you're hungry for more talk about Millennials, grab a book called Millennials Rising. Strauss and Howe have been doing generational studies for decades, and in this, their first book about the Millennial generation, they outline all the things that went into making the current generation what is, and how it's different from the ones that preceded it. They published it back in 2000, so there were certain...events they couldn't foresee that would end up majorly changing American culture, but it's amazing how spot-on they were with their predictions nonetheless, especially them hitting the nail on the head that Millennials won't want to be pandered to by old white dudes in corporate management.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Feb 3, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jidohanbaiki posted:

I feel like some execs thought these drat kids like to look at themselves so much, so put their goddamn faces on the bag.

If that really were the case, I wouldn't blame them--Google says 93 million selfies are taken per day on Android devices. No idea how many are taken on iPhones, but their market share is about the same as Android, so between them, that's a lot of loving selfies.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WickedHate posted:

Is that really a result of marketing and advertising specifically, though?

No, Apple just figured out the secret of how Republicans took the South and have applied the strategy successfully to convince people to make decisions against their own interests year after year

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rexicon1 posted:

Millennial, in marketing terms, is a useless demographic and everyone who works with these kinds of statistics knows it. You don't market to 'kids' you market to fat kids or white kids or rich kids or whatever. I'd wager that the purchasing power of 18-34 year old men (the golden demographic) is so varied that if you try to manipulate them en masse you are going to fall flat on your dick. Successful marketing in the future is going to be laser precise and emphasize the kind of totemic bullshit you see from that dumb truck commercial.

Tangentially related, figuring out your target demographic and marketing purpose of your ad before you start production seems so elementary but oh holy hell you'd be surprised how many people don't bother. I already said earlier that I hate when clients write their own ads for our radio group, but just last week we had a perfect storm of awfulness:

"Here's the script. Please put this on the Top 40 station."

*reads script* "Who's your target audience for this?"

"...umm...people who listen to the radio."

"This is an ad for a nursing home. I think it would be more effective on our country station, which has almost as many listeners as the Top 40 station, and in this area, more of them will be in the appropriate age group to be considering a nursing home. There's also our oldies station, which doesn't have as many listeners, but they're nearly all in your target demographic."

"Um no put it on the Top 40 station, I heard that more people listen to it."

:shepicide:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jmcrofts posted:

What 19-year-old listens to the radio?

Tons of them. The 18-35 female demographic is white-hot in radio.

A common depiction of nursing homes in media is an old woman saying "you're gonna put me in a home!" but in reality, most of their clients are either there voluntarily or at a physician's or a court's request. They don't get many "here's my dad take care of him" drop-offs from indignant kids GODDAMNIT I RAISED YOU YOU LITTLE BASTARD DON'T YOU LEAVE ME IN THIS PLACE

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yes sometimes I drive without audio.

I'm weird and there is probably something broken with me. I know. Sorry.

Nah, you're not broken. I keep my drives quiet, too, though I work in radio and the last thing I want to do after a long day is listen to more goddamn radio.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The Wall Street Journal says the median income for Millennials in the U.S. is $35,300. That's more than three times the income of a person a dollar below the poverty line established by USDHS. Sure, they're not rolling in cash, but it would be a mistake to assume that young people don't have any disposable income or willingness to use it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Well there's the pitfall of using isolated statistics for you. Did the WSJ tell you the average rent those 35thousandaires pay? The average student loan payment? Or even compare that inflation-adjusted income to what that age group made in previous generations?

Sorry if I came across as a dick--I wasn't trying to be combative. I am well aware of how much things suck for Millennials' pocketbooks. They're in rough shape and it's tough on those of us in the media who rely on their spending to support our employers. I'm just bothered by the common perception that they're dirt poor and never have any disposable income.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

(Which is NOT the same thing as saying it isn't effective at all, illiterates).

I get that you're riled up, but dude/dudette, insulting the very people you're trying to sway toward your way of thinking isn't a very good method of going about it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Wandle Cax posted:

The trick to advertising to "millenials" is to get them to do their own advertising. If you have a distinctive or notable product, awareness can spread like wildfire through social media etc. The key is making the product worth talking about, giving it a hook, and starting the fire, so to speak, on the internet. Rather than bombarding the audience through traditional means, this way they will not feel like they are being sold to, but actually part of a trend they will want to buy into.

The finest minds money can buy are hard at work this very minute to figure out how to foster sincere social media discussions about products without the participants feeling pandered to/tricked/forced/etc. It's a goddamn goldmine, but some are having luck cracking the code. At least they've made some progress since "I really want a Sony PSP™ for Christmas!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

You Are A Elf posted:

Look how sad and downtrodden they all are :(

Nigga I legit envy you if you don't make that face when you realize how much you're paying in taxes every year

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
There are also "perpetual drunks" but at that point we're seeing quite a bit of overlap

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jastiger posted:

Let me ask this to everyone, does anyone find the commercials where the subject in the commercial is "elite" effective?

Think back to that Cadillac commercial (we work more than every other country!) the National Rental Car (You don't have to talk to humans, and I don't want to!) or the for profit colleges (YOU are elite, you don't need to work no desk job, come get our business degree!).

Do those work on anyone? Does that make anyone want to buy that product? For me it just guarantees I'll never seek out those products because they are for assholes. What does the research say?

One tactic some "elite" ads employ is prestige appeal, and it is very effective in certain demographics.

As for the for-profit colleges, it depends on which one(s) you're referring to. There are thousands of them in the country, and they don't all share the same marketing strategies.

Among the most (in)famous for-profit colleges is the University of Phoenix, which spends an immense amount of money on advertising annually. It's tough to say to what degree they're getting their money's worth, though, because factors like low job placement rates are affecting consumer opinion.

On a personal note, it would kill me to know that a hefty percentage of my super-high tuition was being spent on putting annoying loving ads everywhere.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

Do they not ask you when you get your photo id/license if you want to be a donor? All you have to do here is just go "sure" and they click a button making you an organ donor.

It varies by state. Here in Illinois, they ask you at the DMV for the purposes of putting it on your license/state ID, but you still have to go to the Secretary of State's website to complete a registration form when you get home or you're not technically a donor.

Also, our Secretary of State's Office is in charge of our Driver's Services (DMV) facilities, and this is how I imagine they chose the URL:

"Why do we need a website anyway?"

"Sir, everyone has a computer these days. The Internet is the next big thing!"

"Whatever. Name it...let's see...it's on the computer, so...how about CYBER DRIVE ILLINOIS DOT COM"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Barudak posted:

The image was constructed out of the words in the negative tweet. So the twitter bot was churning out hundreds of images made out of the text "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children" and other similar white power speech repeated over and over and over again and since the bot was non-stop spamming it

I love this website because it feels like a scam while dmv-Illinois.com and other more sensibly named websites have to have warnings that they are private and not affiliated with the state.

I definitely double-checked that I hadn't mistyped the URL the first time I saw it.

I can't be too hard on them, though, because Secretary of State Jesse White ordered that website to be designed while he was on his crusade to "fix" the DMV. When he first took office years and years ago, he put on a superhero cape, said "Not in my state!" and set about changing the whole system.

Remember back in the 90s and 00s when the DMV was easy fodder for stand-up comedians and sitcom writers (hell, two of the grumpiest characters on The Simpsons worked at the DMV)? He wanted to change that. When you wanted to renew your license or registration, it used to mean you'd be stuck for half a day (or longer) breathing second-hand smoke in a tiny office staffed solely by two jaded veteran bartenders, surrounded by fifty other people, all of you staring at the LED "Now Serving" sign and hating life. It really was just like you saw on TV, and sometimes it was even worse than that.

When I went in for my last license renewal, I timed it. I stepped through the door at 1:00 P.M. on a Saturday (the busiest day, because everyone's off work) and was back in my car by 1:15. That includes the computerized written test I had to take and the time it took for them to take my photo and print my new ID.

I've had slower service at Taco Bell.

A majority of the facilities are new/newly-renovated, minimize paper use, and are actually staffed by (more than two) friendly human beings. The testing machines are state-of-the-art touchscreen affairs, and every piece of equipment is optimized for speed. Some facilities even have a drive-thru window. No joke. Take them a check for your registration renewal, they hand you a new sticker and your receipt, and you drive the gently caress away.

An important part was how it was marketed, however--it's not "the DMV" anymore. Now, it's the Driver's Services Facility. That's where you go for fast, friendly service. "The DMV" is something else.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some places have been doing this weird thing where you can buy a base sandwich for dirt rear end cheap but then basically everything you would actually put on it up charges it. Sheetz has been doing this and acting like they cut the prices but really, your meatball with cheese sub stayed exactly the same; you just pay for a plain sub then pay for cheese now. Of course Sheetz made it easier to customize stuff with a touch screen but on the other hand they made it really easy to inadvertently create a $14 sub.

Granted my sub preference is "regular cold cut with a gently caress ton of onions" so I don't really pay attention to this stuff. I'm easy to please, just give me a lot of onions.

Does Donkey still live with you or did he finally decide to move out of the swamp

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

This probably counts, pushing an app that 'is nothing like snapchat' and has no trace of your messages stored.

Cyber Dust sounds like a drug bad guys would peddle in a 90s cyberpunk novel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

A Man and his dog posted:

Please God tell me this isn't what marketing to Millennials is about?!????

http://youtu.be/fcAj3lOyv3s

Sometimes I get the feeling these Truth ads are made as obnoxious as possible in order to reflect the contempt of the tobacco companies that are being forced to pay for them.