Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
It's kinda buggy though. But it works. I'm having a good time with it. Everyone buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
is it a zombie game

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Protagonist posted:

is it a zombie game

Yes

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
It is about managing a shelter, you choose which upgrades to build, you gotta repair poo poo that gets broken, and put people in the shelter on different tasks like upgrade the fence or build a well or man the watch tower (if you built a watch tower) and also you pick 3 other people in addition to yourself to go out and explore and scavenge poo poo.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Does the combat get good at some point?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

gently caress that poo poo then

zombies are mad boring yo

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Protagonist posted:

gently caress that poo poo then

zombies are mad boring yo

You're a dullard.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Kubla Khan posted:

Does the combat get good at some point?

I doubt it, it's basically Fallout with party control, and no targeted shots.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Ragg posted:

I doubt it, it's basically Fallout with party control, and no targeted shots.

This is basically my issue with it atm, it looks like the meat of the game is in managing your shelter and it's just not my kind of thing (I was hoping for cool squad based stuff but alas). It's also clunky as hell, looks like Age of Decadence by the same dev except AoD was just visual novel + combat and it (kinda) worked.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Managing the shelter and the people in it and looting things are the core feels of this game, so yeah, if you're not into that.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
It's disappointing that these indie rpg devs like these guys and the shadowrun guys don't have a handle on rpg systems and tactical combat at all.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Ragg posted:

It's disappointing that these indie rpg devs like these guys and the shadowrun guys don't have a handle on rpg systems and tactical combat at all.

I think the Shadowrun devs did a good job improving from DMS to Dragonfall and then Dragonfall:DC. Very Hard delivers some some cool 'oh god help me i don't wanna die' moments like when you're barely holding your squad together and the enemy gets 2x reinforcements because you didn't hack the right terminal. Or handling that techinical half-orc monstrosity, or the last (now optional) stand-off vs. that Enclave gunner wannabe. Dragonfall:DC is legit.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 5, 2014

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Ragg posted:

You're a dullard.

oh man i point out how zombies are dull and played out and you turned it around on me!

:negative:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Kubla Khan posted:

I think the Shadowrun devs did a good job improving from DMS to Dragonfall and then Dragonfall:DC. Very Hard delivers some some cool 'oh god help me i don't wanna die' moments like when you're barely holding your squad together and the enemy gets 2x reinforcements because you didn't hack the right terminal. Or handling that techinical half-orc monstrosity, or the last (now optional) stand-off vs. that Enclave gunner wannabe. Dragonfall:DC is legit.

At least in DMS with all the patches to the combat system it was pretty rear end. All the difficulties did was affect to hit from what i can tell. But I will give dragonfall DC a try soem time but dms was pretty mediocre frankly. So it's put me off the whole thing.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Ragg posted:

At least in DMS with all the patches to the combat system it was pretty rear end. All the difficulties did was affect to hit from what i can tell. But I will give dragonfall DC a try soem time but dms was pretty mediocre frankly. So it's put me off the whole thing.

I agree. DMS combat was meh. Coming in with 0 expectations though I still liked it overall.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Kubla Khan posted:

I agree. DMS combat was meh. Coming in with 0 expectations though I still liked it overall.

I expected a halfway decent game and it failed me.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

on a related note how's State Of Decay? it looks kinda bad but might be funny bad?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Scyther posted:

on a related note how's State Of Decay? it looks kinda bad but might be funny bad?

its ok. fun for a while but after an hour or 2 youve basically seen everything the game has to offer cause theres hardly any depth to the building/combat. good base for a game though, i could see a sequel being really good

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I like it. I basically remade michonne in-game, sans the weird baby stuff

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Ragg posted:

It is about managing a shelter, you choose which upgrades to build, you gotta repair poo poo that gets broken, and put people in the shelter on different tasks like upgrade the fence or build a well or man the watch tower (if you built a watch tower) and also you pick 3 other people in addition to yourself to go out and explore and scavenge poo poo.

Would it kill game devs to have poo poo like this WITHOUT Zombies. All that sounds great but I won't play it because I'm so loving tired of the zombie genre.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

metricchip posted:

Would it kill game devs to have poo poo like this WITHOUT Zombies. All that sounds great but I won't play it because I'm so loving tired of the zombie genre.

YOur loss.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
There are a bunch of other designs for things where going outside makes you probably die, but zombies are a really easy one to do

Metro's open air sections being dangerous would be a really good atmosphere for building an enclave/making raids outside/losing people.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
is dead state the indie one NOT made by microsoft game studios, with turn-based zombie combat

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is dead state the indie one NOT made by microsoft game studios, with turn-based zombie combat

Yes, but its not really about zombie combat because zombies are not very threatening on their own.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Ragg posted:

Yes, but its not really about zombie combat because zombies are not very threatening on their own.

wow that sounds really compelling

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

Eff off, fag.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
30 dollars... wowzer... gonna have to wait on this

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Ragg posted:

DMS was kinda crap, but Dragonfall in general is a MASSIVE improvement over it. Better characters, better layout, better dialog, etc.

Also Dead State sucks, sorry

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
How well does this compare to Dick Tracy for the NES?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Frank Horrigan posted:

DMS was kinda crap, but Dragonfall in general is a MASSIVE improvement over it. Better characters, better layout, better dialog, etc.

:mmmhmm:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Protagonist posted:

There are human enemies who aren't infected and those are the real threat.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Frank Horrigan posted:

Dead Sate is good, check the title.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Where's the memorial wall.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Ragg posted:

There are human enemies who aren't infected and those are the real threat.

I'm down with this. Zombies are always the least interesting source of drama in any work involving zombies.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ragg posted:

It's out now an I want tot know if its good. Help me goons!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Man this game looks fun but ugh zombies gonna pass
/

Dec 26, 2012

Widestancer posted:

/

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
the new hotfix introduced a bug that will make the game disregard your party choices and you spawn on the map alone; once you get it on your save that save is hosed :v:

Koke
Sep 22, 2014

Widestancer posted:

/

Gamer Tip: Use ALT+255 to make an invisible space to properly align the slash with text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

I'm down with this. Zombies are always the least interesting source of drama in any work involving zombies.

Zombies work best as an environmental threat. Individual zombies or zombie encounters are boring and whatever, but they work all right as an explanation for "everything's hosed up and if you don't watch your rear end you will die."

• Locked thread