Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:sicknasty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Harrow posted:

Zombies work best as an environmental threat. Individual zombies or zombie encounters are boring and whatever, but they work all right as an explanation for "everything's hosed up and if you don't watch your rear end you will die."

True, but when they're the only thing contributing to that hostile environment it's really bland.

A stellar polar opposite example of

quote:

"everything's hosed up and if you don't watch your rear end you will die."
would be STALKER's Zone, which featured atypical zombies as part of a broad hosed up menagere of mutants, monsters and unfathomable environemntal hazards.

Other games that mixed the formula up right are Half Life and RE4.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I got to a shelter that got overrun and it's just a billion zombies and its a loving slog to go through.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

The Protagonist posted:

True, but when they're the only thing contributing to that hostile environment it's really bland.

A stellar polar opposite example of

would be STALKER's Zone, which featured atypical zombies as part of a broad hosed up menagere of mutants, monsters and unfathomable environemntal hazards.

Other games that mixed the formula up right are Half Life and RE4.

Your comparison doesn't really work because in stalker the zombies are not environmental threats, the environmental threats are anomalies and radiation. In Dead State, zombies are kinda just standing around everywhere doing nothing unless you stay close to them for a bit or you attract their attention by making a lot of noise, for example by breaking open doors or getting into a gunfight with other survivors. That being said, its a loving slog when you're just looting a zombie infested area and you have to go running around stealth killing zombies one by one, and that aspect of it sucks.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
SO in that sense more traditional environmental hazards like radiation or anomalies are less annoying because you can just avoid them and they dont take a lot of time to deal with but you still have to take them into consideration when fighting near them, but i feel like zombies are more dynamic and interesting because you can pull them from afar depending on how much noise you're making, and you have to weigh things like well, do i just try to run away because we're attracting an awful lot of attention here and we're gonna get overrun.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Ragg posted:

Your comparison doesn't really work because in stalker the zombies are not environmental threats, the environmental threats are anomalies and radiation. In Dead State, zombies are kinda just standing around everywhere doing nothing unless you stay close to them for a bit or you attract their attention by making a lot of noise, for example by breaking open doors or getting into a gunfight with other survivors. That being said, its a loving slog when you're just looting a zombie infested area and you have to go running around stealth killing zombies one by one, and that aspect of it sucks.

It was more Harrow's comparison than mine, it's kind of semantic really but call them 'contributors to the hostile environment' instead of environmental threats if you like. They sort of were though, they moved so slow they were basically nodes that bullets came out of roughly in your direction.

As for the grind yeah that sucks, it seems like a problem that runs through a lot of games that try to feature giant crowds of zombies.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I don't get Zombies being overdone. It's like guns or spaceships being overdone. It's an element. A game can be highly derivative of other zombie/shooty/spaceship games or it can do something cool and new.

I think I remember people saying the same thing about cel-shaded games and that gives me a case of the lols

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Mach2 posted:

I don't get Zombies being overdone. It's like guns or spaceships being overdone. It's an element. A game can be highly derivative of other zombie/shooty/spaceship games or it can do something cool and new.

I think I remember people saying the same thing about cel-shaded games and that gives me a case of the lols

It helps that I don't like zombie games so i have hardly played any. But I don't think it's the same as guns or space ships, it's more than just an element, the whole game is based around the idea of a post apocalyptic world where zombies are everywhere. It's a little more specific than "there are zombies"

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The game becomes significantly less tedious when you get a 2h sledgehammer(not the yellow one) that deals like 70 max damage and 1-shots every zombie. I just stealth kill multiple zombies in a row quickly. If you attract others, run away, circle back and kill the next one. I'm only on like day 22-24ish, I forget, and I just took down that twinkie factory full of bandits barely taking any damage. By now I have a ton of rifles/shotguns and insane melee weapons, plus pretty good armor on my beefiest guy and decent armor on others. My one guy took 0 damage from a pistol shot earlier. So yeah loot good poo poo.

Only problem I'm having so far is I'm fixing everything I can, building poo poo, returning tons of luxury items and I'm only now slogging into the -200 range of morale. Why the gently caress won't it go up? Generator is running, I have wooden fences, an infirmary, a well and building a watchtower.. gonna build cement fences after the tower, jeez. This game is really fun though, I like the environments and the dialogue. One time I stumbled into a zone called "something Graveyard" and was like.. oh poo poo, do I really wanna go into a loving GRAVEYARD in a zombie apocalypse? Well the game punked me, there was just a black guy in a church who literally said "lol, there are no zombies here, they don't come out of the ground, this place is the safest I've found because no one wants to come to graveyards."

Akumos fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 7, 2014

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
What hammer are you talking about. I got the railroad spike and gave it to max and somehow he does less damage than anita does with the regular sledgehammer, which pissed me off cuz the damage is higher on the spike and max's strength is higher so it shouldnt happen. Also he has more melee skill so he should be more accurate which he doesn't seem to be either.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Akumos posted:

One time I stumbled into a zone called "something Graveyard" and was like.. oh poo poo, do I really wanna go into a loving GRAVEYARD in a zombie apocalypse? Well the game punked me, there was just a black guy in a church who literally said "lol, there are no zombies here, they don't come out of the ground, this place is the safest I've found because no one wants to come to graveyards."

this owns

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

the graveyard thing is cribbed directly from the Zombie Survival Guide lol

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Mach2 posted:

this owns

btw after I made that post I thought to myself "someone is going to quote that specific part of my post and just say this owns" so thanks for making my prophecy true

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Ragg posted:

What hammer are you talking about. I got the railroad spike and gave it to max and somehow he does less damage than anita does with the regular sledgehammer, which pissed me off cuz the damage is higher on the spike and max's strength is higher so it shouldnt happen. Also he has more melee skill so he should be more accurate which he doesn't seem to be either.

This is the one, seems to be the one you're talking about. Dunno, Max 1-shots everything but humans for me, weird.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Against my better judgement, I'm gonna try this game out. If it's bad, I'm blaming Ragg

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

It does look good op but I'm not paying 30 dollars for it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
The safe way to kill neutrals is to make a lot of noise around their homes and lure zombies towards them. Once they're zombies you can just run around them, loot all their poo poo, and suffer no morale loss.

Dead State is good.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Akumos posted:

This is the one, seems to be the one you're talking about. Dunno, Max 1-shots everything but humans for me, weird.

Yeah railroad hammer. I don't get why its not doing more damage. Some kinda bug probably.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

nutranurse posted:

The safe way to kill neutrals is to make a lot of noise around their homes and lure zombies towards them. Once they're zombies you can just run around them, loot all their poo poo, and suffer no morale loss.

Dead State is good.

Good tip.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Doug is epic.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I just set up a swat-team break in of a looter house by luring a bunch of zombies to the front with Anita+Sledgehammer, running her around the side while off-screen the looters are ambushed by shambling zombies, then Doug and Renee burst in from the back and throw nerve gas + tear gas at the looters who are are now all prone and blind and dizzy and surrounded by zombies.

Dead state is good.

e: protip that's easy to overlook: most 2-handed weapons can attack from tiles that are diagonally adjacent as well as adjacent.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 8, 2014

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

Doug is epic.

When he told me everything he could do, I was like "yeah right nerd shut up and get mopping". Turns out dude wasn't bullshiting and he really can do all the stuff he claimed.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
lmao I tried clearing the east shelter for the first time today and it took over an hour, there were like literally 100 zombies there.

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/340142

If you wanna skip around or slog through it feel free, my party is way too beefy for zombies to do anything to me. There was so much loving loot there I couldn't even hold it on 4 people, gotta return later.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Akumos posted:

lmao I tried clearing the east shelter for the first time today and it took over an hour, there were like literally 100 zombies there.

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/340142

If you wanna skip around or slog through it feel free, my party is way too beefy for zombies to do anything to me. There was so much loving loot there I couldn't even hold it on 4 people, gotta return later.

It's pretty awful.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I love fallout but it is very old and still looks better than this. ill get it in a sale op

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
lmao holy poo poo did anyone find the coleman police station yet? Vic gave me a mission for it and it's way above my gear level. The only char I have with armor vs bullets was Max. I died a bunch of times trying to take it, but I found a cheesy way to lure guards to the fence to pick them off, and finally killed Dick.. and my game crashed. I can redo it I think. This is going to accelerate my gear a ton, I'm only on like day 32 or so.

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

Mach2 posted:

for me atleast, when a game bills itself as a zombie game it feels enevitable that like 90% of the setting/gameplay/narrative will overlap with existing zombie games, much in the same way that ww2 shooters started to feel extremely stale and predictable

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I mean, in terms of gaming zombies are relatively fresh, that's why they're so popular at the moment. No one really made good zombie games in the past. A few here and there, mainly Resident Evil, but yeah.. we're up to like the 20th Zelda & Pokemon game and no one gives a gently caress about that.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Akumos posted:

I mean, in terms of gaming zombies are relatively fresh, that's why they're so popular at the moment. No one really made good zombie games in the past. A few here and there, mainly Resident Evil, but yeah.. we're up to like the 20th Zelda & Pokemon game and no one gives a gently caress about that.

speak for yourself

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
every video ive seen makes it look like you have to wait 30 seconds between your turn and when the computer turn starts which pisses me off!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if someone made a modern fallout 1 type game i would enjoy it. rpg stats/gear, but mainly its all about making smart choices in combat. unfortunately the few that have tried are p fail. i haven't tried wasteland 2 though, is it any good?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Ragg posted:

Yeah railroad hammer. I don't get why its not doing more damage. Some kinda bug probably.

I think I figured part of this out. Apparently items have hidden stats, there is one glove called like mesh glove or something, 3 def, it reduces your accuracy by like half with melee weapons because.. reasons. Don't use those.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

if someone made a modern fallout 1 type game i would enjoy it. rpg stats/gear, but mainly its all about making smart choices in combat. unfortunately the few that have tried are p fail.

Wait for Underrail (it's in EA atm, so you can 'buy a demo' now I guess). The budget is small and visuals suck but I think it's the closest to Fallout we're gonna get any time soon.

Fallout New Vegas isn't bad with skill checks, writing, factions et al. but the atmosphere is much closer to Fallout 2 and the 3D stuff is ugly as hell compared to 1/2 so it may not be what you're looking for.

quote:

i haven't tried wasteland 2 though, is it any good?

No.

Dec 26, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

if someone made a modern fallout 1 type game i would enjoy it. rpg stats/gear, but mainly its all about making smart choices in combat. unfortunately the few that have tried are p fail. i haven't tried wasteland 2 though, is it any good?

wasteland 2 is ok. i like the writing and atmosphere but the gameplay's nothing to call home about when all is said and done and it drops the ball on a lot of fronts.

Akumos posted:

I think I figured part of this out. Apparently items have hidden stats, there is one glove called like mesh glove or something, 3 def, it reduces your accuracy by like half with melee weapons because.. reasons. Don't use those.

lol what

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

hidden stats in rpgs are some bullshit

Dec 26, 2012

hidden stats in most games are bullshit unless theres a point to it. just spell that poo poo out somewhere

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kubla Khan posted:

Fallout New Vegas isn't bad with skill checks, writing, factions et al. but the atmosphere is much closer to Fallout 2 and the 3D stuff is ugly as hell compared to 1/2 so it may not be what you're looking for.

I wish people would stop having orgasms over New Vegas/FO3. They are merely OK. They are not good. They are extremely piss-poor as a shooter and their only saving grace is the fun perks and crazy sci-fi weapons. Almost all of the quests are insanely badly written and boring, and most of the environments outside of a few memorable ones are soulless. Skyrim/Oblivion are the same way. Bethesda and apparently Obsidian couldn't make a good game if their lives depended on it.

Besides if I wanted a turn-based tactics game why the gently caress would I play FO3?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I wish people would stop having orgasms over New Vegas/FO3. They are merely OK. They are not good. They are extremely piss-poor as a shooter and their only saving grace is the fun perks and crazy sci-fi weapons. Almost all of the quests are insanely badly written and boring, and most of the environments outside of a few memorable ones are soulless. Skyrim/Oblivion are the same way. Bethesda and apparently Obsidian couldn't make a good game if their lives depended on it.

Besides if I wanted a turn-based tactics game why the gently caress would I play FO3?

I'm gonna be sick.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Stick of Truth, dillhole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I'm gonna be sick.

• Locked thread