Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

01011001 posted:

(my post)
lol what

So my post was exaggerating earlier because I was playing at night and forgot about that penalty, but after testing, I do lose 5% melee accuracy when I equip these mesh gloves. Heavy helm/armor had no penalty, the Riot shield suffers a penalty I believe but you won't have that for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

oh nooo fallout nv has bad shooter mechanics *ignores the fact that fallout 1 had bad tactical turn based combat mechanics and was a great game for entirely different reasons*

Dec 26, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I wish people would stop having orgasms over New Vegas/FO3. They are merely OK. They are not good. They are extremely piss-poor as a shooter and their only saving grace is the fun perks and crazy sci-fi weapons. Almost all of the quests are insanely badly written and boring, and most of the environments outside of a few memorable ones are soulless. Skyrim/Oblivion are the same way. Bethesda and apparently Obsidian couldn't make a good game if their lives depended on it.

Besides if I wanted a turn-based tactics game why the gently caress would I play FO3?

smdh

Akumos posted:

So my post was exaggerating earlier because I was playing at night and forgot about that penalty, but after testing, I do lose 5% melee accuracy when I equip these mesh gloves. Heavy helm/armor had no penalty, the Riot shield suffers a penalty I believe but you won't have that for a while.

that's not so bad then

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Scyther posted:

oh nooo fallout nv has bad shooter mechanics *ignores the fact that fallout 1 had bad tactical turn based combat mechanics and was a great game for entirely different reasons*

new vegas uses the old fallout music a lot while youre out in the wastes which made me very happy

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

turning off the radio and hearing the classic ambient tracks is win

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
The best (reused later on in the Den): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui6_ev0Z3nw

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

01011001 posted:

smdh

that's not so bad then

I mean that's another element of the game I didn't realize existed, the further at night you go the more accuracy you lose for some reason, even point blank with a melee weapon..

Dec 26, 2012

its a little dumb to lose that much accuracy in melee (wouldnt the point be to emphasize close-range combat?) but i dont mind the concept

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Obsidian is good

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wow a bunch of new Vegas trolls. :eyeroll: Hey dumbasses this is the DEAD STATE thread. Can you please suck obsidians aids infested weiner somewhere else?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pewdiepie posted:

Wow a bunch of new Vegas trolls. :eyeroll: Hey dumbasses this is the DEAD STATE thread. Can you please suck obsidians aids infested weiner somewhere else?

This guy gets it.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

lol

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Dad State. Let's riff off this for a bit. *puts on posting gloves*

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Just a warning for anyone who thinks about buying, lots of retarded bugs still. So far I've experienced looping dialogue for quests I've finished, crashes in combat, on the board, traveling and all kinds of other places, and I can't repair my car for reasons. Oh, and you can't get rid of fire if you're burned by specific bugged mobs.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
lmao I found a place called RPGCodex on the map, a RPG store, and found you guys in the basement

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Found a funny "exploit" in the AI pathing: they refuse to move through fire. So if you drop a fire bomb directly on a guy, they won't move at all or do anything. lmao

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.
I like the game a lot but as it stands now it is still very buggy and feels fairly unpolished. The worse grievances i have with the game is the way items are hidden in side containers and the inventory management. Whereas, in games like fallout, boxes/containers/trashcans would be highlighted to indicate there might be loot, dead state only shows a brief text. It is very easy to overlook a container that might contain that last bit of fuel you were looking for. In a game that's so focused on careful resource management and harvest, i found this lack of feature very disheartening. Moreover, combat is terrible, repetitive, and buggy. I really wish there were more intelligent options like distracting zombies/ throwing fireworks / stealth kills etc. Despite all their flaws, i think this is one of the best games ive played this year. Who wouldnt want to try to run a shelter in a post-apocalytic world? I think given more time, more customized content, this would be an amazing game. It just needs a lot more polishing, and a few more features.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

awesomepanda posted:

I like the game a lot but as it stands now it is still very buggy and feels fairly unpolished. The worse grievances i have with the game is the way items are hidden in side containers and the inventory management. Whereas, in games like fallout, boxes/containers/trashcans would be highlighted to indicate there might be loot, dead state only shows a brief text. It is very easy to overlook a container that might contain that last bit of fuel you were looking for. In a game that's so focused on careful resource management and harvest, i found this lack of feature very disheartening. Moreover, combat is terrible, repetitive, and buggy. I really wish there were more intelligent options like distracting zombies/ throwing fireworks / stealth kills etc. Despite all their flaws, i think this is one of the best games ive played this year. Who wouldnt want to try to run a shelter in a post-apocalytic world? I think given more time, more customized content, this would be an amazing game. It just needs a lot more polishing, and a few more features.

Press Z

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

lmao

*write goony post about not having feature, game literally has feature*

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Found another weird mechanic/exploit? If you are inside a building and simply peek out once to shoot a guy, then move back behind a wall into fog, you'll drop combat and they typically won't follow you. Noises in combat seem to not trigger enemy follow commands if you immediately drop combat with them? I dunno. Either way this means you can flawlessly take down enemies easily, I took down a group of 10 Coyotes in the one mall map west of town on like day 3 doing this for easy gear. That's not something I should be able to do that early.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I just played Dead State, but it's actually not very good??? Wth op, you lied.

Has a strong Fallout 2/Wasteland feel to it for obvious reasons, and I can't loving stand games like that

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
look at this loving retard that bought a game similar to games he hates lmeO

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
man i loving hate fallout 2

*has an internet persona centered around a fallout 2 character*

Dec 26, 2012

Frank Horrigan posted:

I just played Dead State, but it's actually not very good??? Wth op, you lied.

Has a strong Fallout 2/Wasteland feel to it for obvious reasons, and I can't loving stand games like that
                      /

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
:thejoke:

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
"this game isn't good" - top joke 2014

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

shameful...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i feel no shame at shaming terrible jokes

Dec 26, 2012

Akumos posted:

"this game isn't good" - top joke 2014

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I wasn't joking about that part :ssh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

does murdering 'innocents' that are no-name hostile schlubbos only hurt morale of people in the party, or is it universal? like if I go to the camping site nearby and butcher all those fucknuts with a shotgun and come back loaded down with a ton of swag are people gonna ask questions or are they gonna psychically know i killed the 'good' kind of looter

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Coolguye posted:

does murdering 'innocents' that are no-name hostile schlubbos only hurt morale of people in the party, or is it universal? like if I go to the camping site nearby and butcher all those fucknuts with a shotgun and come back loaded down with a ton of swag are people gonna ask questions or are they gonna psychically know i killed the 'good' kind of looter

afaik it's only certain people that care, but they report it to the shelter, so it might do more? just bring people who don't give a gently caress, like max and that one sociopath dude

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Presumably your OC shouldn't care either so I will try that. Just clear the joint with a shotgun and come back later with a few extra bodies to handle the loot I couldn't carry.

Can we do build chat? I'm basically trying to have 5+ everything except vigor, which I am dumping like a bad habit. Then im getting small specialties in leadership, negotiation, and then shooting and melee. I am spread kinda thin but its all I can do given the situation the game puts me in I think

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Best build I've seen is 1 point in all building skills to rush build stuff + high melee and leadership or negotiation early, then rush more melee or ranged if you're accelerating content. Science is incredibly useful for -gas I believe. Typically 8-9AP is all you need so I don't find it incredibly useful to stat dump for agi, what is that extra 1-2AP going to do if you're using 3-4AP attacks? And the 1-shot weapons are 8 max I think. Vigor feels like a waste as well since I never really come close to dying if I play right.

Right now I'm trying a new game with 3 melee, 3 ranged, some negotiation and minor building skills and dumping points into ranged and it's working fine, I use Max for my melee char. My stats are mostly Per/Agi but I regret that a bit. I think ideal early game stats are probably Per > Str - Agi > Vigor, just get 3-4 str to use basic melee weapons and by the time you get max you don't need to worry about melee anymore.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 12, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Str is mega useful when scavenging tho

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Coolguye posted:

Str is mega useful when scavenging tho

Until you get max party members and then it's kind of pointless to need to carry like 20lbs more, you eventually get a car you can dump poo poo in and nothing a map holds is going to go over that unless it's like 2 concrete items.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That's a good point

So I am basically thinking like 4 Str, 5 agi, 1 vigor, rest perception. Then go up to the first melee perk for that awesome 5 a.c., first perk in leadership and negotiation, then misc poo poo into mechanical and science.

Then basically rely on Anita to haul most of my poo poo around and joel to shoot poo poo until I can get a car running and dump a bunch of points into ranged

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Early Access backer here. Day 1 you go SW to the old neighborhood and pick up Bud for your merry band of retards, around that area there should be horses, and southish of the shelter is Chunk Bros Factory or some poo poo. Bunch of looters with badass gear there, also pump 10 into agility and the rest into strength at CC

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
re:buildchat

The thing to remember at character creation is that you'll be getting a gently caress load of skillpoints over the game, so don't try to be a jackass and jack-of-all-trades it right from the getgo. Specialize. I've had great results just going all in melee and putting agi & str at 6. You can pick up those crucial early leadership/negotiation/survival points within the first few days and be good at bashing skulls right out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Coolguye posted:

That's a good point

So I am basically thinking like 4 Str, 5 agi, 1 vigor, rest perception. Then go up to the first melee perk for that awesome 5 a.c., first perk in leadership and negotiation, then misc poo poo into mechanical and science.

Then basically rely on Anita to haul most of my poo poo around and joel to shoot poo poo until I can get a car running and dump a bunch of points into ranged

I would go for rank 4 Vigor for the AC bonus, and get agi later, you don't need 10AP early game. The backer vet here is doing the opposite of me, but then again, playing a game earlier doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the best at it. h3h. When Dungeons of Dredmor was put up here for goons I tested the gently caress out of it and broke their highscores and got items named after me put in the game, I love breaking dumb games like this with silly optimization.

By like Day 8-9 I already had a full geared crew with 6 def leather/biker helms, Max has a railroad hammer so I don't need any other melee, had my wooden fence up and had 1-2 guns on every char with like 20-30+ ammo.. you don't need melee characters for anything other than stealth killing zombies. I'm going to rush into higher level areas soon for better armor and guns, and this game will be a cakewalk from there. In the end, I just prefer making my PC + Vic snipe squad with the other two (Max/Paul typically) as tanks, with Paul being a backup ranged character. I think 9AP is the sweet spot personally, with the early game guns and the ranged perk you can get a 9MM pistol to 3AP, 3 shots with that will kill most enemies for a while.

Just to further point out how trivial zombies are, you can take on 8 of them early on and come out at like 90%-100%-100%-100% hp across the party. Yeah, with guns, but it's not like I used more than a few shots here. Melee/str is so poo poo compared to guns in this game and there is very little disadvantage to using guns for large fights, you mainly use melee to engage.

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/343823

Akumos fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 12, 2014

• Locked thread