Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

25% odds is pretty good when mickey gall's most notable win is over a boxing journalist or whatever

CM Punk has the exact same record and level of experience in pro mma as that guy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

So should I bet on MMA?

The answer to this question is simultaneously "never" and "always."

It is a phenomenon known as the Jase Paradox.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

So is the list up yet of the bars with the PPV that I go and shout at people and tvs?

I doubt many have even ordered 203 yet (if any at all) but use this when it gets closer to the time of the fight.

https://bars.ufc.com/

More likely than not, most bars ordering UFC 202 this weekend will also be ordering 203, so you can get an idea of your options now at least.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

To be fair, I think people tend to agree Sage is reasonably good at the things in MMA he actually has been training for his whole life. It's the other aspects people mock.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

MysteryNad posted:

Badr Hari had 1 or 2 mma fights right? If so then, he's #1 P4P POS

Joe Son stabbed his cell mate to death, while in jail for gang rape.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Keg posted:

I liked the shower scenes in this week's episode.

Also Lars Fredrickson is in it for some reason.

Didn't you read his tagline? He is Lars Fredrickson, Phil's Friend

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Keg posted:

I once got drunk

Keg posted:

I am also CM Punk's friend.

Keg buddy I got some bad news for you

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

rovert posted:

With the strongest possible whatever it is worth proviso:

I heard CM Punk is already telling people in the gym he is hurt but can't back out. His knee, shoulder and wrist are all issues. Expect the wasn't able to train excuse if/when he loses.

In the two years I had to prepare for this fight, I was only able to train, like... 18 months of them!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I don't know if the wrestle posters know this but frontrowbrian is an extremely unreliable source. That said if they aren't twitter mutuals anymore or whatever there's probably at least some truth to it

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Stealth Tiger posted:

Someone please tell me more stories about Hornswoggle being an rear end in a top hat

He said a lot of disrespectful and borderline racist things about these Brazilian and Mexican guys he was matched up with, he ducked one of the best wrestlers in the game, and when he finally lost a match he called his own rematch and refused to do any promos for it so he got pulled from the biggest ppv of the year

E: wait sorry that's the wrong one

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Let's all continue to get drunk and discuss Dave Meltzer's sexy body itt, everyone

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm 33 and I wish I looked like 52 year old Dave "Big Sexy" "Sexual Chocolate" "The Wrestling Sex-server" Meltzer.

Same and I hope your gift of a large tract of land from the governor leads to a very fruitful retirement and happy marriage to his attractive-or-prettier daughter

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Good poo poo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't meant to be any sort of insight to the fight but pro wrestlers (especially guys like Punk) tend to have ridiculous cardio, yeah. If I had to pick one thing for Punk to worry least about it would probably be his ability to not gas out if a fight went the distance.

That's also a bit moot though because I don't think anyone expects it to go the distance.

In MMA it is not really an accepted thing for both guys lay on the ground and pretend to be hurt for a few seconds as an excuse to catch their breath, although if your exposure to the sport is based on The Ultimate Fighter and Kimbo Slice I could see how you might believe that.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

"Heh heh heh... this isn't even 30% of my core competency!" Frieza smirks as he stands upright, tucks his chin in and actually makes a marginal attempt to move his head out of the way of Goku's strikes

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's the middle fight on the main card. There has only been like one time in history where a non title fight was main over a title fight.

Wikipedia lists fights in descending order they will appear, for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_203

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Hello wrestle friends, enjoy this GDT from me to you. May you all find enlightenment.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3789373

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

GSP, the living embodiment of the Greek ideal of beauty, never looked good in a suit due to the size of his shoulders in proportion to the rest of his body and he is nowhere near as big as guys like John Cena.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

If there's one thing universally true about rich arrogant guys, it's that they never want more money like they're gunning for some fiscal high score and they're always perfectly happy with getting paid the bottom of a pay scale

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Because there's no reason to think the UFC would offer them, and no reason to think he would have insisted on them.

Even beyond this, he would be acting very differently about all of this if his compensation were tied to buy rates (i.e. actually saying things to promote the fight beyond "I'm not going to talk people into the arena" followed by a few of the most garden variety statements on how Gall has fought nobodies.)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Efexeye posted:

the fight is tonight so the number of posts rising is natural

It's tomorrow but otherwise sure.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

Hello wrestle friends, enjoy this GDT from me to you. May you all find enlightenment.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3789373

Prelims will be starting in about 15 minutes for those of you with Fight Pass. :getin:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Couture/Toney in nearly every way

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

fun fact: she's now married to Punk's buddy Rener Gracie

their child is named Raeven Gracie, which is the best and stupidest Gracie name

Is that the first one where it's pronounced like an R, or is their child Haeven

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

coconono posted:

or re-negotiate it so they can loan him to one of the fightpass feds. I'm sure they can find dudes a little closer to his skillset.

Hey Alaska Fighting Championship, would you like our friend CM Punk? He is very bad, probably won't boost your viewership and costs half a million dollars

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Renry
Rank
Rarold
Rarry
Renrietta

Rank is actually a Gracie

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Fabricio werdum has had some of the shittiest, most pathetic fights of all times and just because he's diving for ankles against someone you hate instead of someone you like/don't care about doesn't suddenly make his fights exciting

The last two rounds were very bad, but the first round owned so hard I am still not entirely sure I think the fight sucked. It probably did though.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Here ya go, in case any of you wrestlehutters were still curious about the other punchmen you saw last weekend.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782863&pagenumber=12#post464313680

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Just a note here to say that pro wrestling journalist and powerful roidman Dave Meltzer is now giving estimates for 203 PPV buys in the 425,000-475,000 range, which is 125,000-200,000 up on what you'd expect from a card with a similar main but without a 37-year-old white belt on it.

The key thing you should take away from this is that CM Punk: Dream Follower is never going to go away and if Dana doesn't find something for him to do, will end up fighting literal hobos in Bellator main events for more money per fight than Mighty Mouse or Joanna Champion.

I don't think that's how it works, otherwise James Toney would have instantly worked through his IRS issues getting tapped by old fat guys on like 20 consecutive ufc cards

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

you say this like if James Toney had wanted to continue fighting MMA, we wouldn't have seen Toney vs Kimbo: The Fight America Wanted on an actual Bellator show

Probably, but my point that others gave gone on to make was those shows wouldn't have done extraordinarily well, seeing as the "draw" in question got owned and did not look good or raise any questions as to how well they'd do.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

BGrifter posted:

You're all overestimating how much wins and losses matter to an audience of pro wrestling fans.

Pro wrestling fans aggressively shat all over a very good card in UFC 203 as "boring" or whatever. Unless Providence, R.I.'s CES MMA show did way better than I recall thanks to Batista, they are not going to tune in to Bellator or Bubba Sparxxx's Florida Fight League and Barbecue Cook-off to see CM Punk struggle with some 50 year old 0-1 guy.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 20, 2016

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Optimist with doubt posted:

I still say put him on a rookie as gently caress season of TUF.

I know the thought process behind this is that obviously it would do pretty big viewership for TUF this late in its production history, but there's way too high a chance it would have absolutely no longterm benefit for the UFC and be a colossal waste of time and resources. There's hardly any guarantee Punk would win even in a tournament of strictly debutantes or 0-1/1-0 fighters, and then you're stuck giving a longterm contract to some inexperienced, unremarkable, unmarketable nobody who could would lose to virtually any welterweight on the roster at this stage in their career.

If the UFC decides they want to keep Punk under contract and develop him or milk another fight or two out of him, that is obviously their call, but there's no logical benefit to doing so by investing their time and money into TUF: Scrubs, Team Dober vs. Team Barberena.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

"Punk appears" is more the draw there than "Punk succeeds."

The entire point of my post was that Punk would need to succeed to make a televised tournament of people with extremely green or non-existent pro mma records for the grand prize of a six fight six figure contract worthwhile to the ufc to put on. Punk appearing very likely could single handedly cause the ratings boost necessary to completely offset production costs of the television series, but they are stuck paying an unusually high amount of money for whoever the winner is, and the winner is just as likely or possibly even more likely to be 0-1 Chunky Cornhusker the Nebraska division 17 wrestling standout who will fight anyone the ufc puts in front of him all glory to Jesus than it is to be the single profitable guy they have on the roster, who is already under a multifight six figure contract to begin with.

The UFC got extremely lucky in that their search for an opponent for CM Punk turned up interesting, marketable fighters with clear upsides in Sage Northcutt and Mickey Gall. That lightning will not strike the 15 more times necessary to fill out a TUF lineup, when again, CM Punk is already on a contract better than the one TUF gives out anyway. There's absolutely no longterm upside to it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Somehow you took a meme that's become extremely unfunny and played to death and breathed new life into it by being hilariously incorrect

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

What did he do that made him look like an mma fighter? Nah he wiffed a punch and got murdered on the ground. No disrespect, ballsy to try it, but he didn't look like he belonged there at all.

You're describing Toney Couture. James Toney stood there and looked confused as Randy landed an ankle pick from a mile away with no setup and continued to lie flat on his back, still confused and occasionally throwing a punch to Randy's ribs, as Randy methodically and easily applied an arm triangle.

CM Punk defended sun attempts and in general at least tried to do the right things, he just wasn't good or athletically gifted enough to do it. Hence, he looked like a fighter out of his league, and not a celebrity (or unrelated combat sports athlete) pretending to be an MMA fighter.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mickey Gall seems like he is probably good but there is still at least a 20% chance he is not truly UFC level yet, since his three ufc wins are old guys with no experience and Sage Northcutt who himself is laughably inept at Gail's one key area of strength, I'd like to see him matched with someone with a little more experience and clout next, like Jake Ellenberger level (but not Jake himself, the poor guy needs a break.)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

King Bahamut posted:

It did seem a bit precious to be like "ok we'll put one unqualified fighter on our card, but TWO is out of the question" but maybe that's just my low opinion of the parties involved

Anyhow I play softball with a guy that washed out of short season A ball in a year and he doesn't seem like the same species as us on a ballfield--the difference in skill between amateur and high level competition in spots is so massive it was always preposterous Punk would do anything in the UFC. Lesnar couldn't happen again today, the training is too specialized

That is a silly comparison since Brock was not only competing in the weakest division at the time, but he actually had a background of successfully competing in a high level sport that was directly applicable to MMA. Punk had no combat sports or grappling experience beyond somewhat casual bjj trainin on the side of his pro wrestling career, so he effectively had two years of late-life mma training punctuated by surgery and recovery time before coming into the UFC, which is pretty much unheard of.

The only factor that made people feel he had a chance besides the fact that "anything can happen" is that Gall was young and inexperienced, 2-0 as a pro against cans, so this matchup wasn't that uncommon at face value for a z league promotion and you do see the debutant win in those matchups sometimes. But that still isn't a great comparison since CM Punk had the worst of both worlds, he had the inexperience and lack of training of a 22 year old making their pro debut in Skidmark Fightz Championships, but he was old for combat sports and due to the nature of pro wrestling his body already had the damage of a veteran fighter with 100 bouts to their name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

How many times in the last month have you pmed fatherdog on twitter to report jerusalem for gimmick modding

• Locked thread