Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dexters Secret posted:

no i understand that was 'thejoke', i was more referring to what policies the refs are supposed to follow for fight stoppage. does leaning back against the cage count for anything? i assume it must because for some reason the ref had his thumb in his rear end

The colloquial term is 'no longer defending himself intelligently.' This can mean (and has meant) anything from Jonny Hendricks landing a few glancing shots on a prone but fully conscious Amir Sadollah or Jones vibrating his elbow near Matyushenko's forehead in a crucifix on the ground, to the Curran/Warren massacre above or Cyborg hammering Carano's head into the mat for ten seconds straight.

Early stoppages were way more common Back In the Day though.

e: Martin Kampmann took a blasting not half as bad against Paul Daley against the cage, and got stopped. I'm sure there's loads of other examples. There's a lot of granularity depending on the referee. John McCarthy gives fighters every chance to recover (to the degree that Overeem got like five punches in on an unconscious Stefan Struve, very uncomfortable stuff) while Yves Lavinge has (had?) a reputation for calling fights at the first sign of trouble.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

did he win the last 20?

yes. he's very good.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TenaciousJ posted:

I'm not going to read all 49 pages but I feel compelled to ask, who id the most Jon Fitch-like person they could get to lie on top of Punk for 3 rounds? I want all this hype to end in Punk flailing beneath a lead blanket if he must lose.

rulon gardner

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Fushin posted:

He is training at a top level camp with top level athletes. What makes you think he will be below average when it's all said and done? And do you really think Dana won't give him a title shot one day regardless of how he does? Money talks.

most ufc guys have trained fighting for most of their lives. like a guy who's done muay thai and jiu jutsu for ten years will go 1-2 and get cut. forget the animals who become top level guys, cm punk wouldn't beat a single guy fighting in the ufc right now. they will specifically get an ultra lovely 0-0 45 year old dad who boxed for two weeks when he was 12 for him to fight.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
miocic vs overeem will probably be really cool, stipe has a lot of good fights waiting for him at heavyweight

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Liquid Communism posted:

Not to mention, it's smokers. They're practice. Going up against guys you might not be able to beat and trying poo poo you're not sure will work, against an opponent is who absolutely resisting you to the fullest rather than maybe holding back like a gym-mate who knows you have a match coming up would, could mean losses that don't matter for poo poo in the end. We won't know if he's learned anything until the fight.

actually they're smokers at a gym negligent enough to let one of their fighters die in the ring, training there is only going to accelerate punk's precipitous physical decline

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i would think that the money comes from wrestling fans and people who think the fix is in, hence the weirdly good odds for punk.

e: that is to say, betting odds for crowd darlings are always deflated because there's so much money coming in usually, so in case there's an upset, the betting company doesn't want to risk paying for everybody's wrestlemania next year.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Or renowned artist decideds to compete in a children's game for idiots and wannabe tough guys, lol

It's pretty silly either way!

actually the people who compete for the ufc are quite literally the best fighters in the world, instead of being the best at making codpiece cuddles palatable for white christian americans

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Halloween Jack posted:

I apologize for asking this question; for a few blessed moments I forgot that Michael Bisping is still alive.

how is bisping worse than a guy who tried to rape and murder his girlfriend

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
a lot of people who've spent most of their lives training to become good at fighting and are incredibly athletic gifted are not even good enough to cut it in the ufc. every 0-2 guy who washes out was probably the toughest and most skilled guy at his gym, in his neighborhood, in whatever local promotions he was fighting in. and he lost to someone even better, who lost to someone even better, who lost to a guy who was so good that he got a title shot and was promptly crushed by jon jones.

so really it's not that weird that punk sucks.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
its pretty funny that cm punk was less successful in combat sports than idris elba and dave bautista

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
brock beat a top 10 heavyweight like a year ago

• Locked thread