Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chris James 2 posted:

When MMA was just starting to get big in Japan, New Japan (under Inoki's advisement) had crossovers between MMA and wrestling. Inoki thought some big up-and-coming names in their company would be bigger if they were also good at MMA, so they had fights, both arranged by the company on their shows and elsewhere.

The most famous example was Yuji Nagata. 2001, he was in the perfect position to be their star. Everything they wanted. Everything Inoki wanted. About to be New Japan champ. And he wanted to show his prize to the world.

So he did a special event (Bom-Be-Ye). Nagata, with no legit experience to speak of, Inoki thought was capable of beating Cro Cop, who was in his prime.

Needless to say, quick and embarrassing, and the company responded by instead giving their belt to a former sumo wrestler (Tadao Yusuda) who submitted a K-1 guy (Jerome Le Banner) on the same show.

It happened to at least a couple other people, but wasn't as embarrassing (off the top of my head, Nakamura lost his MMA debut to a Gracie but won 2 or 3 more fights after, and Sasaki did alright)

The best one of these was when DDT's Heavymetalweight belt (the 24/7 hardcore title) changed hands accidentally at a MMA event two of the wrestlers happened to be working on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I just want CM Punk to fight the loving green ranger, is that too much to ask?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dan Didio posted:

It's more like that goon built summer camp with the kid launching trebuchet.

Hey, hey, hey, it was a child murdering zipline, get it right.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Punk should just roll around doing every vaguely related combat sport until he ends up fighting 15 year old LARPers in a public park in Des Moines.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Idk if this is old news but today on reddit Joe Lauzon said that he heard Punk has lost all 12 smokers he's been in. How can he not pull out if that is true?

I like Punk a lot and hope he does well, but this just seems like egomaniacal insanity. The only plausible explanation is that both he and the UFC know he's gonna get murdered but its a good payday

Because he's getting paid. He's a pro wrestler, he's used to getting paid to lose, why should he care if it's for real this time? Money is money is money.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah I mean they had one of three choices:

-Not A Real Fight: IE just put Punk up against the absolute worst possible person they could find so he could win. Probably the worst option because of the whole "wrestling = fake" thing and because Punk has a huge ego.
-Spectacle: Throw him up against someone who used to be really good but is terrible or someone who also isn't a "real" fighter but will draw eyes. IE the proposed CM Punk vs Green Ranger fight.
-A Better Fighter: What we ended up getting, using Punk to make a nice little talking point on someone who can actually fight's career.

Personally I think 2 would have gotten the most money, but 3 was probably the smartest because even after he gets the poo poo beaten out of him nothing is stopping him from fighting dumb gimmick matches that people will pay for.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

uncleKitchener posted:

Ziggler would've been a better candidate for this sort of thing, considering his amateur background. Still, this showed that people with hard bodies and previous experience or good background are better suited for this sort of transition.

If I wanted to watch a former wrestler in his late 30's fight in UFC I feel like Del Rio would be the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It seems weird for a wrestler to transition to MMA because, in a weird way, they are total opposites. Like it would make more sense for a pro wrestler to go into something like competitive dancing or some kind of Cirque type of deal. Because at it's core when you're wrestling you're supposed to be protecting the other guy in the ring (obviously this is not how it always works, but still) all your trained movements, strikes and routines are built around dealing as little possible damage to your "enemy" and using your own body in many cases to break their falls or take the brunt of the force from various "destructive" moves. It seems like if you had decades of training on how to get into a ring and fake punch someone it might get in the way of actually punching them, especially if you do those kinds of things as a gut reaction (I'm always impressed when wrestlers who obviously get concussed are still able to throw worked punches and do worked spots and it happens kinda frequently too). It seems like there would be more crossover skill with a thing like Dancing with the Stars.

Honestly the best bet I think for him to make money is he should team up with some organization and do a kind of straight edge tough love reality TV detox show thing, where, like, Punk, Dr Drew and Andrew WK help people kick addictions and live clean. That seems like a concept that could run for 5-6 seasons on TruTV or whatever and make everyone involved modest second house money.

• Locked thread