Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I really hope CM Punk succeeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Lol. There is literally zero chance his first fight is against GSP. I don't give a poo poo who reported it.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Lloyd Boner posted:

It was a joke that was written before the announcement happened because it was hotly rumored

Thought so.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

quote:

In the main event, there were two dudes. One of them was Irish, performing in front of an Irish crowd in Ireland. He won the bout which helped his after party immensely. A friend of mine persuaded me to it, despite my inclinations. He bullshitted his way in, sorta, and then we had an amazingly unfun time, surrounded by orange women in very little, operating under the delusional hope that UFC guy would gently caress them, repeatedly, into some sort of monetary positive. At the same time, most of the males I saw were weighted towards steroids and skipping leg day. Seriously, I have walked into offices full of computer nerds slaving away with better backs and posture. Admittedly, none of them were four foot wide with rounded shoulders that bad, tearing their backs to shreds. Personally, I felt ashamed I was there but learned a lot about how the human body can be distorted detrimentally.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

fatherdog posted:

His first fight is almost certainly going to be on the televised prelims on a show in Chicago.

I'm going to disagree here. Punk against a can as part of a PPV card would draw buys alone. I think it's almost a certainty they put him on PPV considering some of the curtain jerkers that have been on PPV the past year.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

lmbo does that ref still have a job?

I know. Sometimes you gotta let the guys fight a little before you step in like that.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

lmao this thread has legit turned into mma guys vs wwe guys. you're all gay.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Lloyd Boner posted:

Something upon which we can all truly find common ground

our gayness

this is beautiful.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

CM Punk reminds me of mobn the way he bitched about his staff pimple

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Punk is ok and I respect the fact that he's a talented wrestler but alot of his fans overlook the fact that he's one of the biggest whiners on earth. It's pretty incredible how much he can bitch about a company that made him a millionaire and I wouldn't be surprised if exaggerated a large portion of his Colt Cabana interview.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

You don't get how employer/ employee relationships work, do you?

Punk made the WWE far more than than they paid him. Thats capitalism.

Clearly Punk helped them out alot too. I wasn't trying to say the WWE made him who he is or whatever, but there wasn't another company he would have made 7 figures annually to wrestle (you can't make that in Japan can you? I know you can do well there but I'm not exactly sure how well)

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

-Atom- posted:

one has nothing to do with the other.

Seriously. He was a good pro wrestler and entertaining therefore he would be a good mma commentator? Maybe the play by play guy can be Ric Flair.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I just saw it as both guys were sort of awkward and didn't know what to do in that situation. Which is pretty fitting for the entire situation.

Guys face off without putting their hands up all the time. It's not a disrespect thing.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

fatherdog posted:

If Punk was really that much of a contrarian dickhead someone at Roufussport would have beaten the living poo poo out of him by now.

He certainly seemed like he was to people backstage at WWE and the media. So he is to people who aren't a physical threat to him or if they are would be committing career suicide by doing something about it.

He's probably smart enough to watch his mouth around a bunch of people that could kick the poo poo out of him, especially when part of their job is to put the gloves on 2-3 times a week and punch him in the face.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

How long is this rear end in a top hat out? He was asking for UFC 200.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Putting him on UFC 200 doesn't make much sense to me. That card kinda sells itself and it's not like he needs the exposure. Let him heal up and fight at UFC 201 with Bones/Rumble and that'll help pop a nice buy rate then.

This is all assuming he's even planning on fighting at all.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

It makes perfect sense to me if he has PPV points on his contract and he thinks that after this one fight he's going to wash out.
I was looking at it from the UFC's perspective, and ultimately they'll be the ones to make the call.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Right now all they have for UFC 200 is hoping that Conor wins quickly in March so he can fight on UFC 200.

Gotta think they're targeting that show for Robbie/Condit II or Robbie/Wonderboy as well.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Let's check in on our friend

http://wrestlechat.net/report-cm-punk-lost-15-of-16-test-fights-according-to-current-ufc-fighter/

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Maybe those 16 fights were all against Askren and Pettis though?????????

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

no lie when the officer saw me he GULPS

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

1.5 years ago I thought this was cool and wanted Punk to succeed now I think it's the dumbest poo poo ever and I hope he goes away soon.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I thought Frankie took 2 rounds and even that seems a bit farfetched.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I legit do give Punk a little bit of a golf clap for taking this ridiculous plunge that will probably end terribly for him but that doesn't change the fact that I think he's a miserable, bitter oval office.

Ty1990 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 4, 2016

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

officer banana brains

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

i liked the part of the documentary when Anthony pettis tried teaching punk how to get off the fence

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM21-_KR0aw&t=1067s

punk did not do a practice weight cut, according to him.

oh this clown fiesta.

holy loving poo poo

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'd be pretty shocked if punk wasn't getting some sort of compensation based on ppv buys. But that's just me.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I think Phil Brooks is as gay as the next guy but holy moly good for him even going through with this.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

exploding mummy posted:

Sting won 2 matches.

Really? Thought he got cucked at mania and NOC and that was it.

Edit: *c*ucked is filtered!

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MotU posted:

punk is very brave for making his money elsewhere and getting his online bjj certificate

He could've made a poo poo load of money fake wrestling in the indies but instead tried UFC where he knew he'd probably get his poo poo pushed in

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

He already had enough money from WWE to not work the rest of his life. This was basically Dana White granting a Make-a-wish.

That's basically the point though. He didn't need to do this.

Trust me I'm not defending punk and I really don't follow WWE. He's a oval office. But at the least I think he deserves a golf clap for even trying what he did tonight.

Ty1990 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 11, 2016

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

Pay for my training and book me for ufc 210 and I'll do the same. As would you and most 18-45 year old dudes.

I will tell you straight up right now as a 26 year old male if I had 10 million dollars or anything near that in my savings account I wouldn't take a step near the octagon.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

Wait until dwindling fame and a midlife crisis hits ya.

Punk left the WWE at arguably the height of his fame brotha.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

If Punk was so great he would have headlined Wrestlemania. And you can tell him I said that.

Lmfao

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Even if you followed his career before this, you don't necessarily have to give him respect. You'd arguably have less reason to.

Seeing a guy who was so adamantly against part timers in the WWE taking spots from people who were actually regularly there, go to the UFC and get his own show and PPV midcard match (slotted ahead of Faber, a guy who's been there 6 years) against a guy who is definitely getting paid less but definitely fought more than him. I can understand people not wanting to golfclap for him getting this opportunity.

A well said argument I could get behind.

But still the human side in me still gives him props for doing what he did.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I legit think punk is a bitter whore but if you don't respect what he did tonight you are insane.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

On the converse, he trained within driving distance of his house, rather than travelling all over everywhere to stand around in man panties in front of relatively tiny crowds.

I realize it's a documentary produced to make him look good but apparently he commuted 3 hours both ways to train during his camp.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Cavauro posted:

i respect you, booker man
Legit have no idea what you're trying to prove but I've said nothing but facts the past two hours *shrugs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I feel like you folks are insane but hey that's what makes us human.

Go Eagles.

• Locked thread