Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yuriy posted:

The worst part of this news is that were going to have to see wrassle posters talking about mma again while not knowing poo poo about poo poo

Most of the MMA posters don't know a lot about MMA, let's be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yuriy posted:

You remember posture-posting guy? You remember CivilDisobedience and rambling about stupid poo poo he knows nothing about?

Welcome to every day of post-CM Punk MMA

Do we introduce BeanFried and DM Punk or will love find a way?

I happily welcome more posture-posting. There's not a day goes by I don't remember that and laugh. That and whoever called Condit milquetoast and had a grudge against him for being from a well to do family.

If CM Punk brings more of that, I happily welcome it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If there's no champion due to fight in that month (something the UFC have control over), I can totally see CM Punk both headlining a PPV, though probably a 3 rounder rather than 5, and it being the best selling PPV of the year.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

A Sherdog caller claimed that he would rather shoot his own dick off than watch Punk's debut so this whole deal is already worth it.

I'm sure it was followed by "Fedor would WRECK Cain Velasquez, I don't want my pure sport being ruined by scumbag "actors", PRIDE never die. Fedor! Fedor! Fedor!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Auron posted:

All I care about is whether or not he uses cult of personality for his entrance. Probably not because of hating wrestling and all

Interview with Ariel Helwani said he might do.
UFC will probably make an executive decision to do so, I'd imagine, or heavily suggest it to him.

The more parallels they can get to his WWE tenure, the more WWE fans will be interested in seeing it and the better the PPV will do for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"No, you can't use our iconic and catchy song on your PPV that will sell gangbusters. We hate making money."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rogan would probably beat Punk only marginally less than the actual UFC fighters would in all likelihood. He might not be a fighter, but he's legit good at Taek Won Do and probably good at BJJ too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Viper_3000 posted:

Not after this. Seriously, the guy doesn't even know what weight class he's going to be in and Chael says he knows who his opponent is going to be? So much bullshit there....

Not that I believe that this is the straw that breaks the camels back regarding Sonnen's credibility, or that Sonnen is saying anything remotely true, but the weight class issue isn't a problem if this mystery man has a history of fighting at 170 and 185 themselves.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just make sure you don't fight like that boring guy in your avatar and you'll get yourself some fans.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fact that he openly says that he's never really sparred with elite guys is the most concerning thing of all.

I mean, neither have I, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that sparring properly with someone who is close to your skill level higher or lower is a stressful and painful experience and not very fun. Sure, he's going to be matched up with someone who is a journeyman themselves, but even then, he's going to need to get used to being punched by dudes who want to knock him out.

If I were him, I'd be asking dudes to beat the crap out of me while trying their best to not concuss me in the hopes that I can take a punch both physically and mentally.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Punk should fight two midgets, or a chimpanzee. It would be both more entertaining and more traditional, while no less legit, than the half drugged 150 pound can he will fight.

He could hang with the midgets, but the chimp would probably tear his face off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

coconono posted:

CM Punk will be the first person to actually die inside the Octagon. Vince McMahon will sit on his skull throne and tut tut.

He'll get Punk's skull for his own and place it inside the T-Rex head he has.

e: missed a word in there.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 11, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheCool69 posted:

Somebody asked Ed on Twitter what belt he has. His reply:

Ed O'Neill is by far my favourite human.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Matt Brown says he'd fight Punk the same night he fights Saffiedine
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/17/7406645/morning-report-ufc-lawsuit-conor-mcgregor-matt-brown-cm-punk-dana-white-ronda-rousey-mma-news

There are better fighters than Brown, but I don't think there are many more who Punk would want to avoid more.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

1st AD posted:

Also his opponent is gonna be a fat featherweight.

BJ Penn is retired.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Isn't disliking Hendo actual treason over there in the US?
Like, you can get a prison sentence and everything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He lost the first 40 seconds of a minute long fight against a barista

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was very impressed by Brock's ability to listen and adjust to his coaches advice while locking in that triangle he used to win the Carwin fight.

I guess you could argue that he should know exactly how to lock in an arm triangle at that level, but he'd just been pummelled for a round by Shane Carwin and even GSP forgot how to execute an armbar properly in the heat of the moment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Z-packs work great for when you have some mild bronchitis and poo poo like thar, mrsa is serious poo poo beyond what it's designed for

MRSA is so bad that when it's found in hospitals over here, the media have panic attacks, and for once, they might be fairly rational (by media standards) to do so.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dangersim posted:

I was an EMT in my younger days. I remember showing up at a house on the ambulance and as soon as we went in the cops who were already there starting yelling "Gloves, gloves, gloves!" Then one of them said "she's got mrsa" and the all the experienced guys made oh poo poo faces.

That must have been a very strange experience.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Punk had creative promos, always tried to make the best of his position and characters and was a lot better at it than most people. That's a part of being creative as a wrestler.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember having the event with Bart Gunn vs Butterbean on VHS when I was growing up and it was the funniest thing ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvgwnzJOLo

45 minute interview with Ariel Helwani discussing basically all aspects of what people might want to know about CM Punk.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

36, apparently.

Most notable thing I've heard so far is that Reebok hosed up the gear for him too and misspelt his name, but he's going by CM Punk in the UFC too. He had no input on it whatsoever either. So much for a deal for the fighters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He has a single really long hair above his right ear that sticks out in the light. I can't stop watching it now I've seen it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"OH! That's tight Jericho is in trouble here Mik-oh he got out of it"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mean Bean Machine posted:

it's actually plausible that a random guy from the audience could possibly beat up cm punk

even though he's had a million injuries and migraines from his wrestling days, he still trains day in, day out at an elite professional level MMA gym, doing MMA training and preparing for a fight. I'd take CM Punk even if his ceiling in actual MMA will be quite low.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The thing I like best about Robbie Lawler is that his body stores up all the power from your punches against him and then lets him deliver it all back to you in a single punch, or several.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is CM Punk corn to the core? We need Goldie to tell us and if he is, he might be good enough to be a commentator.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Punk would probably get the mother of all contact highs just from inhaling some of Rogan's carbon dioxide.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jon Gooden, I think they call him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not having Rogan around to act like every punch that lands and every kick thrown was a fight ending shot actively detracts from the show, in my opinion.

He's one half of bald man shout times too, which is an undeniably amazing thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

His fight with that Wong guy sounded pretty funny from the few accounts there were though, basically the dude just ends up running away from Lee who awkwardly punches him in the back of the head and neck and injured his hand doing so until the other dude gave up

From what I recall, the handful of accounts are like
Lee's friends:
He hosed Wong up it was brutal he died and there was an earthquake with each punch that landed.
Wong:
Lee's dirty as gently caress
The probable most impartial dude:
Fight sucked for a good 25 minutes, everyone gave up because it sucked.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 13, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a lot of flowering up in this piece for what essentially amounts to:
Generic question > Overly bitter response times three.

That said, at least Punk is open about his abrasiveness and doesn't want to pretend he's anything but. You know where you stand with him at least. (He doesn't think you are worth his time)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He just strikes me who wants to keep work and life separated and gets really fed up when people who are fans of his work feel obligated to be part of his life, and the easiest way to tell people they have no right to that is to be blunt about it.

He probably loves the trappings of being famous, the money and respect, but hates actually being famous.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Elite wolf ticket sales technique

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/mickeygall/status/697492981016821760

he's going to be disappointed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

wait what I failed at googling please expoudn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9l58GUZNc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The kick does its job. It's not meant to hurt Bisping or anything of the sort, just set up the BRH.

• Locked thread