Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

I have faith in CM Punk because if history has shown anything, he is able to accomplish a lot on pure spite alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

The ironic thing here is that Punk could see this as an opportunity to make his stock rise then waltz back into WWE on a part-time schedule like Brock...but he might get so hosed up that he'll never be able to pass a WWE physical again

this is most certainly not the case

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Punk'll be okay, he comes from a legit jiu jutsu background and is mentally tough as well.

He just might not be, y'know, good at it. But he won't get murdered or anything.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't think he's committing suicide but I do think it's pretty fuckin' weird given that the dude is more than rich enough to retire and cited wanting his health as a reason for getting out. I'm not saying he's gonna get a severe traumatic brain injury or anything but going from "I'm enjoying retirement!" to an eight fight UFC deal in like a week is slightly odd to me.

That is him enjoying retirement.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Punk is an incredibly driven individual and I think he has a decent chance of defeating another UFC rookie. But even if he doesn't, it's not gonna be a big deal, other than his next fight won't be as much of a draw. He's doing this for fun anyway, and is a writer for Marvel now.

I think all the remarks that Punk is gonna get literally murdered is comin' from people that are just upset deep down that this nigh-clenches the fact he's never returning to the WWE.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

oatgan posted:

people keep saying CM PUNK WORKS FOR MARVEL NOW as if he's been given a book to work on full time but he's just writing a 10 page backup story in someone else's comic like a whole bunch of other famous comic fans before him

he's more of an independent contractor

I think they'll let him do whatever the hell he wants because he's CM Punk and they get to put his name on the cover.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

wait, when did CM Punk become an anime?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure UFC is well within their right to put a guy who's going to draw people in on their posters, and indeed, quite loving retarded if they don't.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

So is every MMA poster an infuriating dicklord or are we just privileged in that respect

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Endorph posted:

dexter's secret is an idiot but that doesnt mean you're not a dicklord

like seriously i have never seen you contribute anything that wasn't aggressively smug posturing over loving fake fighting.

Endorph is a monstrous human being but he's completely correct in this situation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Yuriy posted:

Quoting this so you don't edit it

Ok.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

I think it's weird people are measuring Punk solely on his Muay Thai experience, like the professional wrestling stuff doesn't matter.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

I would mark the gently caress out if CM Punk won with the anaconda vice.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It strikes me that as soon as the third guy comes out it stops being a fight and more a mini riot.

Could be only 2 guys out at a time with a 3 minutes time limit then there's a short judging period if neither of them gets KO'd.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Punk's spent over half his life putting on performance fights for an audience, and I think it's really silly to act like there's no skillset overlap between that and doing real fights.

He's going to train his rear end off and he's going to have access to the absolute highest quality of teaching available. I think he'll win at least one fight.

You may think that's stupid but idc :downs:

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

K8.0 posted:

There's negative overlap because he's spent his entire adult life working on NOT hurting people.

I have faith that Punk can ignore his instinct to fake punch instead of real punch.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Let's just hope they don't try to turn Del Rio face, that really didn't go over well the last time

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Skinty McEdger posted:

Punk gonna sell some tickets, and possibly make Bisping have a meltdown along the way. I don't see how anyone (other than CM Punks swollen brain) are going to lose out of this.

This contract with the UFC is almost certainly a far better alternative for his swollen brain than being a wrestler again. Especially if you listened to the podcast where he talked about how he passed their bullshit concussion test while he clearly had a concussion.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

CM Punk is going to learn the Metsu Hadoken and decimate the competition.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

It probably would have served Brock a lot better if he hadn't been pushed right to the top of the line. It really says a lot for him that he *still* managed to do as well as he did while basically fighting top-ish guys and learning as he went. Dude's a freak.

Wow all this and you manage to gloss over his conquering of the Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Dangersim posted:

He was a freak athlete who was a good wrestler and picked poo poo up fast but he didn't react well to getting hit.

In his defense I don't react well to getting hit either. I've been known to shout swear words and sob uncontrollably.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mr. Carlisle posted:

CM Punk has brought Valeyard into an MMA discussion thread

This is the kind of terrible poo poo that happens with things crossover

idk know man, one time the flintstones and the jetsons crossed over and it was p sweet

fred couldnt figure out which buttons to press lmao

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

:speculate:

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

the fact that cm punk claims to be drug-free is ludicrous to me when one of his tattoos is a clear-cut caffeine endorsement

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Aaaaand here is the semi-monthly argument about what straight edge is from people who aren't straight edge.

Aaaaand here is the semi-hourly post from someone who doesn't get jokes.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

"It is not truth that matters, but victory."
- Adolf Hitler

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

What's the biggest combo ever pulled off in the MMA world, I'm going to link it to CM Punk

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

lmao @ that ref

"should i stop it... eh... i'll let him build meter'

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Joe Warren was still standing for Christ's sake!

does it really count when you're leaned back against the cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

no i understand that was 'thejoke', i was more referring to what policies the refs are supposed to follow for fight stoppage. does leaning back against the cage count for anything? i assume it must because for some reason the ref had his thumb in his rear end

• Locked thread