Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Seltzer posted:

Excuses for what? How he's gonna win? Dana already said they're gonna match him up with someone with similar experience (next to none and not training at a top mma camp like cm punk is) and it only makes sense to give him a win in his first fight anyways. It's a silly sideshow money grab fight and we all see it for what it is. I don't know why you guys are so obsessively attached to this dude.
He's very entertaining and a good talker. He may be a bit of an ego guy in real life, but he makes me laugh and whatnot. I like that.

Keg posted:

Win or lose, I hope CM Punk gets home from his fight in time to tuck Colt Cabana into bed and kiss his wife AJ Lee on the face.
This post has captured my imagination. I kind of like the idea of Colt being Punk and AJ's adult sized child, I'd enjoy a sitcom with these folks. It'd be like a reverse Gary Coleman kind of plot, like that Robin Williams movie or something.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Curious what other fans think.
I don't think that's correct.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Two Beans posted:

CM Punk will run roughshod all over the UFC, until he faces a returning Lesnar in the first ever 60 minute MMA Ironman match which will go overtime and end with Punk getting his win back via tapout to the Anaconda Vice. They shake hands at the end and every UFC guy comes out to celebrate with The Best In The Whole Wide World. The show is the same month as Wrestlemania, and puts more butts in seats than WM3 while breaking records for PPV buys.

Then Punk and Lesnar lead all of UFC to crash a WWE event to start InVasion Part Two.
Could... could that happen? :gizz:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If this Mickey Gall guy beats CM Punk, he should go to WWE and become the Intercontinental champion!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alain Post posted:

CM Punk is going to disgrace the great sport of pro wrestling, if he hasn't done so already.

Seth Rollins is the future of the business, the standard bearer, the architect, nobody will disgrace his business or he'll give 'em a flying knee!

I hope CM Punk gets to write that Punisher comic by the way, sounds like he's got some ideas.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skinty McEdger posted:

I'm not sure at Cena's odds of walking away with the W at the end of the night though.

How much human does HGH need to pass the test?

Everybody says HGH cuz we've heard of that stuff, but the elite like Cena and The Rock actually have stuff unknown to society, probably stuff the government got from crashed spaceships and poo poo. Ask questions.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

1st AD posted:

John Cena is a better promo, a better worker, and probably better fighter than stupid rear end in a top hat Phillip Brooks.

Is this post a work or a shoot?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sanguinia posted:

Nakamura is the best wrestler in the world, although John is way up there.

It's Rollins.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

bradzilla posted:

Is there anyone beside cams that still likes Punk at this point? Seems him being a massive bitter baby rear end in a top hat has soured him on a lot of people since he left WWE

I'm fine with Punk, these people I'm fans of often may be egotastic dicks to some degree irl who knows, he's entertaining. I definitely sided with him on the WWE stuff, his podcast with Cabana was really good. (by sided I mean he sounds in the right, I still buy WWE network etc)

That said, has he been complaining about anything recently? What massive bitter stuff are you talking about?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 24, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Guy gets herniated disk surgery and everybody's acting like he's chicken. He's Chick Magnet Punk, not Chicken Magnet Punk

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BGrifter posted:

Oh yeah? Explain this.

Checkmate. :colbert:

I can admit when I was wrong, evidence shows he is a Chicken Magnet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

bradzilla posted:

Punk's debut has been pushed back "a month or two" for like a year now. It's not happening lol suck it CM Punk

Guy got herniated disc surgery four months ago. I don't get how people can make fun of Punk for that, if he really never fights then pile it on.

I think it's very badass and fun that Lesnar is getting to fight in UFC again, it doesn't seem like something WWE would've allowed even a few years ago.

Do they do tag-team MMA matches? I wanna see RVD and Sabu in the Octagon, with chairs.

Have you guys seen the 80s Chuck Norris vs ninjas movie The Octagon? Solid.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 7, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If I can wait 200 years for Bill & Ted 3, we can wait for CM Punk to go in the oblegon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Josuke Higashikata posted:

would a coward make up a story for livejournal about how he owned a fuckin' pig????? i think not!

Between this guy and that guy, there was also this guy: a mustacheod man's man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51C4VxzK-WM

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 7, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Keg posted:

Aside from minor details like CM Punk being old, injured, and inexperienced?

Brock's a year older than Punk, haven't seen many posts saying he's old. Random note. I turned 30 a month ago, I hope I'm not old yet. I'm a young man! Very young. And manly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

-Atom- posted:

Brock at the very least has a modicum of experience from his early years as a wrestler and fights in a division where the average age is like 36, and all of the fighters are bad besides maybe 3.

One is not like the other for very stark reasons.

I was only comparing and making a point of one thing though, no doubt, I'm not saying Punk is on par with Brock or anything. I just think it's interesting, maybe it's a matter of perception. People here just don't think of Brock as old, but do Punk for some reason. Could be as simple as that he looks kind of tired at times etc.

If the average age of one UFC division is 36, isn't that another reason why saying 37 year old punk is old seems unusual?

(edit: I meant to say 37 years young Punk)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 27, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chris James 2 posted:

37 is pretty old to make a debut in a sport, regardless of how much experience or training you have under your belt.

Sure, if we include more context and descriptiveness, there are all sorts of ways Punk is not in a good position.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SquirrelGrip posted:

Avg age of Heavyweight, where the reigning peoples champ is big kfc and counterstrike fan. Its a special division.

Punks fighting at 170 yeah? Home to the hitler youth robot and motherfucking shang tsung himself, robert lawler. He isnt fighting someone who cuts weight to reach the fatty limit.

Shang Tsung was old in the first MK game, so did we see this Robert guy being old, then later being young? That's the only way we'd know for sure he was absorbing human souls, these are bold claims.

Memento posted:

Not really because the average age of the division he wants to compete in is 31.375, based on the champion and UFC-ranked top 15.

People point to Randy Couture getting into MMA at 33 or whatever but at that point in time he was already a world-class amateur wrestler, and an excellent all-round athlete. Punk is 37 and unathletic and has had lots of injuries. Brock and Randy are old for fighters, but had massive success in relevant sports before MMA as well as being freak athletes. Punk is old for a fighter and has none of their advantages.

Brock is old too? What have I done. These are young men with their whole lives ahead of them, 37 is the new 27. I'm not saying Punk will be good at learning and executing MMA or anything.

Cavauro posted:

i'm creating a film called 'the problems that arise when one person is arguing based on one meaning of a single word and everyone else is talking about that word solely in the context that it's been used all along on this subject' and its going to be gooder than most

I love that movie Face/Off. We could call this one Context/Off. I want to take your context... off... (I'd like Nic Cage to play me, he can still play young. It'll be funny, like how Pee-Wee Herman is supposed to be young)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 27, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Memento posted:

You said it was odd that CM Punk is being called old for being 37. I am saying that older MMA fighters can still be excellent, if they have a fighting background. Randy was 37 when he won his first title, and that was old for an MMA fighter. Punk will (if he fights) be 37 when he fights for the first time, which is old for an MMA fighter. Brock is coming back to the UFC at age 38, which is old for an MMA fighter. The difference is that old for an MMA fighter can be negated by "decades of top-level competition in relevant combat sports". Punk has none of these.

You can't hold up Heavyweight as a shining example for how older dudes can still fight because most of them are terrible and only get wins by throwing BRH knockouts.

I just found it of note that it seemed everybody was saying Punk is old but not Brock. Granted Brock has a lot more going for him, just seemed like an observation to make. If it helps, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

While I'm defending Punk for no real reason, I find it odd people keep saying "he's of course not at all a naturally gifted athlete". Seen a few posts saying something like that. I mean, I think doing a springboard move where you jump, balance on the top rope, then catapult your body flying through the air and stuff, that's athletic. And having cardio to last for 30 minutes picking up huge people etc. Just saying.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 27, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

She was a good wrestler, but more was also just a really entertaining character, she was practically the main character on Raw for a bit during one of the slower periods. Being the general manager, the wacky love storylines etc, quality TV.

Kudos to Punk as well, lots of times where he was giving entertaining promos seemingly every week, that helped the show out.

If he doesn't give a 20 minute promo before and after his UFC match, it'll be weird.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Regrettable posted:

Overeem looks like he's eyeing someone else's plate, wishing that he ordered what they did.

Great, now I'm hungry. It's the middle of the night!

Cubone posted:

In his Colt Cabana interview didn't he say he had a moment where he was looking at fourteen million dollars in his bank account and just going "wait why am I still working?"

I don't think it was that high, though he apparently got a lot of money later after settlements and everything came in. He mentioned that he paid a lawyer and got what he earned or something like that. I don't know if he has fourteen million though, who knows.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 3, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gusano posted:

Jesus did he write that when he was like, sixteen?

He was about 25, and yes I did just do math involving counting on my fingers. My knuckles don't say anything but I may have some cool temporary tattoos lying around from a pizza place vending machine..

DeathChicken posted:

He was born in 1978, so...26

pfffffffthaha

25 and a half, let's be fair.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Idk it probably didn't happen but you can get away with a lot when it comes to the bpd. Maybe he though punk and his male friend Allison were frat brothers or something headed to jhu

Allison is actually a female person, I'm a bit of a gumshoe.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I hope they give him a good shake afterwards.

I could use a good shake! Maybe not 5 dollars good, but you know pretty good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

VileLL posted:

Bartender: I'll give you the chance to tell me the truth, what do you want to drink?

Punk::raising his fists right in the bartenders face:: What does my shoulder say?!

Bartender: What do ::gets cut off by a very angry Punk::

Punk: WHAT. DOES. MY. SHOULDER. SAY?

It says you're a Cobra Commander enthusiast? Do you want the drink or not sir?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think it would make him a different kind of oval office.

Edit: Like Kevin Smith/Joe Rogan "I didn't start smoking till my late 30's/early 40's now I'm going to never shut the gently caress up about it" kind of oval office.

Kevin Smith seems really friendly and I enjoy his ramblings, but Joe Rogan I do find annoying.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love Punk's Cobra logo tattoo, has he ever cut a promo "This one's for Cobra Commander! Cobraaaaaa", I doubt it but would be cool if he did!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MotU posted:

punk should have started out somewhere more suited to his level like american gladiators

Gina Carano was pretty neato on that show as "Crush"! Though Hellga was no slouch either. In all seriousness that is our finest sport.

On the ol Punk match here, I watched it, I respect the guys who were flopping around. I don't have a strong opinion, I think it was cool that Punk got to do this thing, and good for Gall as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Endorph posted:

mma is fake and has fake storylines only the fighters do more drugs but are slightly less racist, and sometimes a guy does a cool kick off the wall like billy lee from double dragon

Bimmy Lee, if I may.

• Locked thread