Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thauros posted:

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/11991124/cm-punk-joins-ufc-fight-2015

Article on the front page of ESPN, this is definitely getting legit publicity from mainstream sources

ESPN actually got a ton of e-mails from WWE while they were writing this article insisting they really wanted to do a report on Sheamus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

If he went back yesterday, there's no way they would have given him a part-time schedule. If he makes himself an attraction outside of WWE, they might allow it.

WWE wouldn't be setting the rules in any theoretical (because it will probably never, ever, ever happen) comeback by CM Punk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

What's his special move?

Getting paid.

He's REALLY good at it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody got a link to the FS1 interview?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daniel Bryan posted:

Mike Coughlin at F4WOnline:

Haha oh my God he's just going to troll WWE till he gets bored :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah I see that now. But at the same time if they actually did that for his first fight it would be a way for everybody to make the most money the quickest and painless way possible. GSP vs Punk would do some of UFC's best PPV numbers in years.

It would certainly get AJ Lee an amazing payday.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just watched the Punk press conference.

"Has anybody from WWE reacted?"
"Well... my wife has. :shobon:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Brock Lesnar is a human moose. I don't care who you are, if you hear that a human moose is gonna get in a ring and punch a dude you're gonna want to see it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

Well I assume the people fighting him will try to win, yes.

They should bring in Peter McNeeley for credibility - dude was so good they chose him to fight Tyson for his big comeback!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wasn't Kurt injured too

Please be more specific, this could refer to any point in the last 13 years of Kurt's career.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

That's sort of a weird issue. I'm assuming that working for the WWE is a full time job, and he's still working that full time job. He wasn't named on the podcast, so what exactly can he say he's lost? Wouldn't he have to prove that he's lost earnings etc? He'd have a bigger case if the WWE fired him.

He could argue a situation where he basically can't find work anywhere else now even if he wanted to leave WWE, all because of what Punk said about him (well, about the Doctor who treated him), ruining his reputation and threatening his potential for his future career.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

How hosed up he had to be to fail that medical when Kimbo who apparently had no knees got on?

Doctor: Kurt... I'm not exactly sure how to say this.... but according to our tests you've been dead for at least 5 years now.
Kurt: .....yeah but did I pass the freaking test or not?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

He's ready...

He looks like he was drawn by Peter Chung :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

people were mad that the stormtroopers guy in star wars was black so...

I've also seen a lot of people furious about the lead being a female, with accusations that she's a Mary Sue because she's somehow competent at surviving after a lifetime spent fending for herself in a desert.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

She's a Mary Sue because she's a new character who's better at everything (Fixing the Millennium falcon! Using force powers! Winning lightsaber duels! Flying spaceships! Infiltrating enemy bases!) than any of the previously established characters, and doesn't face a road of trials where she loses before getting better at things.

She fixed the Falcon because she was intimately familiar with the changes made to it because she worked for the guy who stole it (the big junk trader dude). She was intimately familiar with the territory on Jakku because she'd been scavenging from the crashed Star Destroyer, and the guys she was flying against were brand new to the planet and used to open space flight. She didn't infiltrate a single enemy base though she was attempting to escape one she was taken to. She failed several times in her attempt to use force powers on a single stormtrooper before finally getting it right. She won a lightsaber duel against a guy who been shot in the side and already had a strenuous fight with another character and was also feeling tormented/wracked with guilt over the horrible act he'd just committed a few minutes earlier (which is probably also why she was successfully able to force pull the lightsaber to her when he was going for it at the same time).

All these things are demonstrated in the movie through basic storytelling. If the movie has a flaw it's that it is such a straight rehash of New Hope (and many would say that is a strength) and doesn't really try anything new/innovative outside of having a female lead and a black male co-lead. Anakin in the dreadful first prequel was far more of a Mary Sue, Rey doesn't even come close.

Golden Bee posted:

On topic, CM Punk better do the GTS gesture after beating his first can.

Agreed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

That said, Finn holding his own against a force capable lightsaber user was sillier and that one Poe guy was the closest thing to a Gary or Mary Sue in all of Star Wars history so she does tend to get an unfair amount of criticism considering. But Star Wars doesn't tend to get much deeper than pro wrestling does so it's a little silly to expect anything other than the pulpy hero stories it always was meant to be.

This is true, though Poe is helped by being enormously charismatic. I do cut it some slack since Luke basically makes a one-in-a-billion shot at the end of New Hope simply because he listens to Obi Wan and puts his trust in the Force.

Anyway, this is probably enough of a derail, and I blame CM Punk for not having had a fight yet. How dare he take his time and want to recover from injury :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What happens if Michael Jackson wins the fight? Does he fight CM Punk?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Dana said on Twitter that Michael Jackson (who is 11-10) would not fight CM Punk if he wins.

Well that's not very fair then, no wonder MJ has such a poor win/loss record, he lacks confidence because Dana doesn't believe in him!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

i want to see the guy from newsradio beat up my favorite wrestler of all time dana white what the gently caress make this happen

Dana White has to beat everybody from the cast first. Dave Foley is gonna gently caress him up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Brian Pillman once called up a friend who worked for some football team and asked him to run across the field during a game holding up a sign with Brian's name on it, because it would get Brian lots of press and guarantee him a better contract during his wrestling negotiations. The guy said,"Yeah but won't I get fired if I do that?" and Brian replied,"Yeah but we gotta make sacrifices to get what we want."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Is there anyone beside cams that still likes Punk at this point?

I like Punk and I hope he can continue his undefeated streak in UFC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

CM Punk is going to lose his fight by KO

Kevin Owens jumps the rope and attacks Mickey Gall, giving him the win by DQ.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Al Bundy def CM Punk Round 1 0:30 Gogoplata

There's no shame in getting beaten up by Al Bundy, the man scored four touchdowns in a single game for God's sake.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I believe every poster in this thread could defeat Phillip "CM Punk" Brooks in Mixed Martial Arts contest and at the video game Mario Kart 8.

I'm gonna lose you so much money :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is there any chance that the quid-pro-quo between Dana and Vince gets negated when UFC sells up to China? Because if Brock gets KOed in 10 seconds AND Vince doesn't even get to have Ronda Rousey show up at Wrestlemania for his troubles I'd laugh a lot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fatherdog posted:

That isn't happening, so no.

Man what happened to China, they used to be cool :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

manyak posted:

he probably doesnt need the money that badly

He doesn't, he's rich as hell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just make every issue #1, problem solved!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tato posted:

Hello I work for Marvel comics and think this idea is brilliant, how soon can you start

Sorry, DC already hired me to entirely revamp their entire range of comics and take the company in an entirely new direction.... so I'll be available for hire again in about 3 months.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

CM Punk is going to get punched once then crawl around on the mat crying and begging the police to help him.

Corey Graves: What do MY knuckles say? :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You're good people, rovert :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

Nice of Punk to show up to the presser in the suit his grandfather was buried in. https://twitter.com/cagesideseats/status/773960326706503680

No wonder Vince is bankrolling a lawsuit against him, Punk stole one of his suits!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

November 2014 - September 2016: CM Punk's undefeated streak in UFC finally comes to an end :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also Punk's run in Smackdown against Jeff Hardy was one of the most interesting and intriguing storylines they did and helped lift him to a higher level. Thanks to Jeff Hardy's major issues at the time and his decision not to re-sign with WWE despite being arguably their hottest wrestler at the time, a major storyline ended with the bad guy Punk not only winning but (in storyline) running the good guy out of town forever. That did a lot to make him seem like a big deal even if he would continue to spin his wheels thanks to WWE constantly changing their mind on what they wanted to do/where they wanted to go with him, up until his "pipe-bomb" promo where they did a storyline about him winning the top title from their top star and then leaving the company.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Will CM Punk fight before America gets a new President? Place your bets now!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

We get a new president in 2 months so I'll say no he doesnt.

Obama gonna tell Trump he needs back surgery and has to put off the inauguration another few months.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That slapfight was pretty sad to watch, much like CM Punk in his match with Mickey Gall.

I kinda hope UFC finishes up his contract pretty soon so I can close this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

coconono posted:

Punk might have a chance if he can land a headpunch.

So, no chance at all then.

Endorph posted:

could jerusalem beat cm punk

No chance at all. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread