Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

In wrestling, it's pretty much a given the new guy is going to lose. A lot. This is done nowadays as part of the learning process(it used to be straight hazing). The job for the new wrestler is to learn how to lose profitably.

With the advent of social media that part's pretty easy. Get out there and do interesting stuff. MMA fighters are doing this too. Whether it's Sage and Paige doing flips or Bec Rawlins's butt, it keeps the fans engaged and willing to part with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

With the exception of if you're someone earmarked for the top very early you don't lose cleanly from developmental until you fail a drugs test.

I'm still confused by that whole

manyak posted:

That makes sense to me but its still seems uncontroversial to say that losing a fight is a bigger deal/bigger loss of credibility for an MMA fighter than a Pro wrestler

I'd say it's pretty dumb to talk about it when your major meal ticket faces the prospect of getting his lips knocked off.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Carlos realized it too and almost retired. Steph knows her poo poo.

Carlos is a very good technical fighter but unable to perform well when his own mortality is threatened by robbie lawler punches.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd be a lot more excited if UFC bought Oplot for CM Punk to fight around in. Too bad they're doin whatever the hell an MMA org turned terrorist muscle organization does.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

If Punk wanted to fight for a terrorist extortion group with a many-sided ring, surely he'd go to TNA?!

already went there. Neither JJ or Dixie were interested.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There's a reason why you never see Mike Quakenbush and CM Punk in the same room together. Because the results would be embarrassing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IcePhoenix posted:

44 days, in theory

PLenty of time for another round of hip surgery

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AJ and Paige managed to have really awkward/bad matches back to back and those happened to be AJ's last ring offerings. So I can see why ppl think she's bad. Because those were bad matches.

I bet she's a great wife. wife of the year. Definite hall of famer wife.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Donald wishes I would write his tweets.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Foul Fowl posted:

miocic vs overeem will probably be really cool, stipe has a lot of good fights waiting for him at heavyweight

Stipe made Hunt look like a tired, wounded hippo on his way to his title win. I kinda hate him but at the same time admire his murdertank skills.

Is Punk's fight still going to be a fightpass joint or was that internet hearsay?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I could see them doing it on FightPass to drive subs. Wrestling fans are already conditioned to hate PPV prices(thanks WWE) so it'd be an easier sell. Plus from the ppl that sub, you'll get a subset that end up so jazzed about MMA they'll pop for other PPVs down the road.

You couldn't co-main Gall/Punk on a PPV. More than likely, it'd be the opener or 2nd on the card and that's a hard sell for a first time buyer. People like Punk but do they like him enough to pay $60 for a product they're not familiar with?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CoolCat posted:

Yes, because a "fight" is something everybody can comprehend.

Ole Anderson would tell you otherwise.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Allison Danger, a canadian, married to a swiss national, living in the United States. Yeah, that's a fuckin drug car.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

JOHN CENA posted:

i always thought that post was just him workin

its all bullshit but it's a fun story to tell. That's the important part.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kurohashi posted:

What makes this a little more than a foregone conclusion of Punk getting destroyed to me is that Gall is more comfortable in grappling and Punk has more experience there than striking himself. It could be a fairly contested bad kickboxing match until they grapple and maybe also be competitive there as well. I would think it's a guaranteed KO of Punk if he was fighting a guy with lots of striking competition experience newly getting into MMA, but it's likely Gall is a trash tier fighter as well by UFC standards with a big mouth and can't yet smoke a CM Punk as we'd be hyped to think.

There's a little spark of hope that maybe all the times he got lit up in those smokers, he was defeated in a different way each time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CoolCat posted:

It's like, literally impossible to tell what is going to go down. I understand why MMA fans don't give a poo poo, but for wrestling fans, this is going deliver Wrestlemania in your youth levels of excitement.

if Punk was destroying people in training and generally beasting about, word would make the streets. Instead we get a gif of him throwing what looks to be working punches.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm more interested at this point to see what becomes of his legal disputes.

it'd be pretty cool if the judge made Punk apologize to the doctor live on a RAW or something.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bubba Smith posted:

Sage Northcutt would outclass CM Punk so much it would be astounding. Like if you didn't know anything else about the sport you would think Sage Northcutt is the greatest fighter on Earth after he demolished Punk, but instead he's only marginally better than Cody Fisther.

If(ha!) Punk beats Gall and another dude, I'd love to see him fight Sage. But that's an if you can see from orbit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luigi Thirty posted:

Daniel Bryan chased down a guy who robbed his house and held him down for 5 minutes until the cops arrived.

CM Punk is afraid to drink a beer.

Daniel Bryan's brain is coated in a nice layer of calcium.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

finally watched all of the doc, I wish I could find uncut footage of the smoker. He didn't look terrible in the edit. Yeah he got stomped but that's what I expect a 6-2 pro to do to a guy who at that time was about 2 months into training. Still kept that chin way too high tho.

revised prediction: who the gently caress knows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Marching Powder posted:

Joe son is the only guy that's definitely

[quote="Marching Powder" post="463346012"]
Joe son is the only guy that's definitely worse.

At least Joe Son shut the gently caress up while in prison.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Endorph posted:

gonna make a bold prediction: he loses, goes begging vince for one more mania payday, then fucks off to chicago for the rest of his life

There's a lot of moving parts that need to be aligned before Punk and WWE become a thing again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah he only got served termination notice on his wedding day, got hosed with on merch payouts, and has a defamation lawsuit going against him by WWE's medical staff. What's to keep Punk from returning to WWE?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Codependent Poster posted:

They've done worse to people and they've come back, like Warrior.

Never say never. Punk always wanted to headline Wrestlemania, so I wouldn't rule out him coming back for that sometime down the road if WWE offered it.

Warrior was insane. He came back to die on Vince's watch as a final gently caress you.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hornswoggle called him an rear end in a top hat and threatened to shoot his dog. There's more to the story(Hornswoggle is a big bully IRL).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

exploding mummy posted:

Let's not overstate things

Swoggle is a small bully.

The term I heard used was Napoleon Complex.

CM Punk is working you marks. again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is it legal to use a folding chair as a weapon in MMA? Asking for my friend Duke.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope CM Punk beats up Mickie Gall so bad he quits MMA and waits tables for the rest of his life. I want Punk to continue in his MMA career knowing the shame of crushing someone else's dreams.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cookie Monster.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

In the end, Punk on PPV was a sound business decision. UFC gets a guy heated up(Gall) for higher profile fights at a fraction of what they're paying Punk.

If Punk wants to fight again, that's cool. I'll laugh when he gets dropped horribly again and cheer when he finally beats a dude.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

After Gall's promo, Dana would have been dumb not to.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When I see The Hardys doing Sam Raimi knockoff videos and Punk getting blasted, it pleases me. At least I know a few wrestledudes from my generation won't end up a coke fueled corpses or get caught looting painpills from their neighbor's house.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RagingHematoma posted:

After the flood of articles about how inspirational Punk was, it seems like the tide is turning. People are starting to come back to reality and acknowledge how stupid this was.

Do you guys think he tries to continue this just because he is too proud to admit he failed at something?

No more stupid than jumping in a tub full of hot sauce or whatever not harmful to anyone else poo poo rich people do these days.

I suspect the new management will either release Punk from his contract or re-negotiate it so they can loan him to one of the fightpass feds. I'm sure they can find dudes a little closer to his skillset.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The major thing is that Punk became a big name in WWE by default due to injuries and in spite of by virtue of being good.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luigi Thirty posted:

Isn't Mike Jackson also literally a photographer they offered a duffel bag full of cash to do a fight

Joe Silva would book this in a heartbeat. Easy money.

Punk beats Jackson on a fight pass show. Or loses, thus ends the saga of CM Punk's MMA adventures.
But if Punk wins, he can fight another 0-0 can to whoop on or immediately challenge Mickey Gall.
Punk gets whooped by Gall again, who goes on to make UFC lots of money. Or they have Punk on a potential 3 fight win streak, good enough for Punk to get murdered by whoever's champ.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maybe have a TUF for the right to help train CM Punk.
Do a TUF where its only Punk. He gets all these famous MMA guys come in and train him. At the end of each week, he has a smoker against some rando 0-0 dude to show off what he's learned.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LobsterMobster posted:

Wasn't that Bellator's Fight Master?

I was thinking of GameCenter CX

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Venomous posted:

wait, is Punk seriously still doing MMA

can't he just go back to Ring of Honor or w/e

Punk doesn't want to wrestle anymore. He also has enough money on hand so he doesn't have to get lured back in.

Besides, Punk's MMA Adventures brings us all joy. 138 pages of hope, loss and vindication.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

go to a hickville Z League, Punk. Wreck dudes with sadface.jpg stomachs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Probably not the easiest solution, but they could make Punk a celebrity fight ambassador or some poo poo. Send him to feds on Fight Pass to fight their schlubs. Anyone good enough to be worth getting under UFC contact is already light years ahead of Punk's skillset.

• Locked thread