Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bruce lee was an actual fighter that trained a variety of martial arts his whole life.

CM Punk is a guy whose fighting career consists of fake fighting.

Pro wrestling is more real than a lot of the fighting that Bruce lee did tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I don't think CM Punk could kick the dogshit out of Hong Man Jack in a street fight.

I dont know who that is but if he was some 70s kung fu guy then yes he could very easily

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

btw cm punk is cool and the best ever and i'm glad he's scamming ufc, what a worker

Hes not really scamming the ufc, he hasnt done anything yet but when he does hes going to make them a lot of money and publicity. He'll be scamming the people who pay money to watch him fight

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I dont know anything about CM punk and i stop listening when wrestling guys start talking about Works and Shoots and Cutting Angles on everyone, but what happened was CM punk was an MMA fan and fantasized about doing it himself, was given an opportunity to do it because he is famous and is now realizing that its actually too hard to do so hes not going to.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't know, a gigantic payday for fighting a can, win or lose? There is no real downside. You can work SAG while training.

If it was only about that he would have done it already, why wait 2 years and train every day and get injured etc if you just want a payday to fight a can and dont care

He sincerely wanted to do MMA and be good at it and is now scared to do it because he found out its really hard. Its easy to say theres no downside but he has an ego and a reputation and doesnt want to just look like total poo poo and get humiliated on TV after all this

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Getting hit in head for free is not fun.

Yeah it is

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's not good for your brain.

"Fun" isnt the same thing as good for your brain, many fun things are not good for your brain/body and many things that are good for your brain arent fun

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Despite what you'd be inclined to think, many people in punchsports aren't big fans of being punched

Even Brock has basically said multiple times being punched isn't fun

Well yeah most people dont enjoy the exact moment that theyre being punched, but all the stuff surrounding that is fun which is why people do it as a hobby (i.e. "for free")

but lol "even Brock", a guy who never did striking most of his life and notably reacts badly to being hit

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Anyway i dont know anything about CM punk but the fact that he decided to do a bizarre MMA fantasy camp instead of getting a real job or doing literally anything else means a) he probably doesnt need the money that badly and b) he probably thinks its fun

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

That wasn't what was originally being argued, I agree with that but he was specifically responding to "getting hit in head for free is not fun"

Audience isn't being hit in head, they're watching it. Difference.

Well i was responding to the oversimplification of what CM punk is doing as 'getting hit in the head for free', when what hes really doing is getting to train MMA with some elite coaches and training partners (which involves sometimes getting hit in the head) and getting his expensive hobby/health care costs subsidized by the UFC. Sounds fun to me

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Then why hasn't he fought anyone?

Because (again i dont even know anything about him, this is just common sense) has a reputation and an ego, theres lots of buildup around this fight and he doesnt want to go out and be totally embarrassed in public because that would be embarrassing and also probably mean the end of his free fun MMA fantasy camp

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Chromatic posted:

So Punkered is a massive underdog right? No way this goes out of the first round?

The books have him around +240, so a little more than a 2:1 underdog, so theres probably value in betting against him, in fact its kind of suspicious that the line is like that and hes not a bigger underdog

You can bet on the fight not lasting more than 1.5 rounds at a cool -225

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

surf rock posted:

I'm curious, it seems like everyone is convinced Punk is going to get the poo poo kicked out of him. I believe it, but I'm not sure I understand the entirety of the reasoning. Here's what I get:

* He's significantly older than his opponent
* He has a longer injury history than his opponent
* He has less experience than his opponent
* Young and hungry guy against a rich hobbyist dude

Obviously, all of those things point to Punk losing. Is there anything else (like training videos of Punk obviously sucking), or is it as simple as that? I haven't followed this at all and I kind of expected opinion to be more split about how the match would go. I'm not a mixed martial arts guy, though, so I probably put more stake in the puncher's chance idea than is merited by the facts.

Well in reality its not as one sided as people here are making it seem, hes only around a 2.5 to 1 underdog so on the books people are giving him about a 30 percent chance to win, it wouldnt be that shocking if he won

But yeah you basically have all of the points, fighting is hard and not everyone takes to it, and the indications are that CM punk is not really a natural. I dont think there have been videos of him sucking but theres been no videos of him training and looking decent either which there definitely would be, to hype the fight, if he didnt suck

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Its not even that hes super old, theres a bunch of fighters at WW that are in their mid 30's including the champ, and MMA has a lot of older athletes compared to other sports, its that hes old to be just starting to train now. Dont worry old guy in the thread you arent that old

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

coconono posted:

Losing does not imply credibility loss, jesus woman. No wonder you have your fans rioting in the stands.

It kinda does though, look how much people turned on Rousey after her 1 loss when she was the biggest star ever before that

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

i guess in the WWE credibility loss is also not a really big deal to individual superstars, whereas people like Ronda in the UFC probably take that poo poo really hard? i'm not sure how high level athletes feel about losing in a completely flummoxing way ala Rousey Holms

Yeah definitely, plus i gotta think getting your rear end actually kicked hurts and sucks more than getting it fake kicked

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I agree but thats part of the game, her being so emotionally invested in being undefeatable/the best, and airing out her issues in public is part of why she was really popular to begin with. Plus lets be real people on this site were calling her a dumb oval office who was always bad and stuff the moment she got knocked out, not weeks later when she took an out door poo poo

I just think its true that its harder to promote stars in a sport where losing means getting beaten up and humiliated, with everything that goes along with that

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

coconono posted:

I thought that was a running joke? like when a fighter loses, we're all obligated to point out he/she was always terrible?

The running joke is based on the reality that fighting is really "what have you done for me lately" and when someone loses people start nitpicking all their old fights and unironically claiming they knew they were always bad

Anyway i get your point, its not like people totally stop caring about a fighter that loses, but lets say youre an up and coming prospect with momentum and you get your rear end kicked: everyone saw you get beaten up and arent excited about you anymore, then its a couple months off training for concussion protocol, a couple months to get back into training, and a year later your next fight on Fight pass everyones like who is this guy? I dont really know pro wrestling but i doubt up and coming guys have to worry that if they lose badly in a pre-planned fake fight that their career could be over

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

coconono posted:

In wrestling, it's pretty much a given the new guy is going to lose. A lot. This is done nowadays as part of the learning process(it used to be straight hazing). The job for the new wrestler is to learn how to lose profitably.

With the advent of social media that part's pretty easy. Get out there and do interesting stuff. MMA fighters are doing this too. Whether it's Sage and Paige doing flips or Bec Rawlins's butt, it keeps the fans engaged and willing to part with money.

That makes sense to me but its still seems uncontroversial to say that losing a fight is a bigger deal/bigger loss of credibility for an MMA fighter than a Pro wrestler

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

coconono posted:

I'd say it's pretty dumb to talk about it when your major meal ticket faces the prospect of getting his lips knocked off.

Well if thats the issue then doesnt the fact that Brock is still their meal ticket despite the fact he already got murked by Cain and then embarrassed by Overeem in 2 straight fights, prove her right?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
It makes sense if he was cageside watching the fight live rather than in HD on a monitor, the whole fight Frankie was moving forward and Aldo was just standing there then they would both flurry, if you didnt have a good view it wouldve been hard to tell that Aldo was landing the better shots in those flurries since he also never rocked Edgar visibly

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CoolCat posted:

It's like, literally impossible to tell what is going to go down. I understand why MMA fans don't give a poo poo, but for wrestling fans, this is going deliver Wrestlemania in your youth levels of excitement.

Its not really that hard to predict, CM punk will probably get clipped by a punch that doesnt look that hard and go down and get TKOd, or he will get taken down and outgrappled and then TKOd. Nothing against him but its super unlikely hes gonna come out and surprise everyone by doing something really good

But the odds only have him as roughly a 3 to 1 underdog, so the betting public at least thinks he has like a 25% chance of winning, which i think is generous but hey who knows

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CoolCat posted:

I liken they way you start off your post by saying its a sure conclusion, then end it by saying who knows, thus proving my point. Classic

lol "classic"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i would think that the money comes from wrestling fans and people who think the fix is in, hence the weirdly good odds for punk.

e: that is to say, betting odds for crowd darlings are always deflated because there's so much money coming in usually, so in case there's an upset, the betting company doesn't want to risk paying for everybody's wrestlemania next year.

Yeah the odds should probably be longer. Personally i like "any outcome other than CM punk by submission" at a cool 24 to 1 favorite

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

Nice of Punk to show up to the presser in the suit his grandfather was buried in. https://twitter.com/cagesideseats/status/773960326706503680

drat.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

there's no way CM Punk goes back to training jiu jitsu unless metamoris is gonna pay him like $100k to get strangled by andre galvao or some dumb poo poo like that.

Yeah he doesnt seem to particularly like it or have any knack for it. Maybe thats just what happens when you make your hobby your job before really knowing what it entails

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

When the weight cut came up on the media call, Gall said he was looking forward to getting 20% of CM Punk's purse so I think he plans on accepting the fight even if Punk misses weight, because he knows he's going to win regardless of the weight and Punk's payout is likely to be pretty good

Thatd be the best possible thing for Gall, the 20% cut would be more than his entire purse im guessing

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I have friends who are like doctors and lawyers and train twice a week that could beat up CM punk, whether joe rogan could beat him isnt even a question imo. Its a skill like anything else, its like if a guy who never dribbled a basketball before picked one up for the first time at age 38 and challenged a guy who has been playing at the rec center for 20 years and played in high school to a pick-up game

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

i doubt that. i think one or two could

Probably like 6 or 7 would be a big favorite against him realistically and a bunch more would do fine against him

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

yah I just assume its something from when he was a wrestler where a lot of the job is tricking people into hating you. He seems cool enough

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

RagingHematoma posted:

Good for CM Punk giving this a go, but I think the Cinderella story narrative they are going with is a bit much.

Punk also said during the press conference that it is never too late to start and if you think so he's "sorry your dreams are so small". Most 37 year old MMA fans do not have the ability to quit their full time job, immerse themselves in MMA for 2 years, get a spot on a UFC PPV and pay to be trained at the level he's been trained at.

Butthurt wrestling fans are a little dramatic saying he turned his back on them, but the guy comes off as a jerk when he gets annoyed when people ask him about the WWE. None of this dream his is experiencing would be possible if it wasn't for wrestling.

Yeah he seems like kind of a dick about that stuff. Also when he made fun of Mickey gall for making less money than him, imo you cant be a straight edge punk guy but also brag about being a millionaire and make fun of poor people, but maybe its just all part of his 'character' idk. Id probably be a dick too if i had to deal with wrestling fans for years

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
He probably didnt have to cut a ton, hes not a big 170 now that hes not bodybuilding/on steroids and could probably make 155 if he did the same type of cut other guys do. Not to diminish it since it was probably still a hard cut for him at his age

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Frankly the funniest thing that could happen is this entire thread eating a bunch of crow.

I think itd be cool if he won, itd be weird to see what they do next with him and hopefully hed want to keep fighting. He also definitely has a chance, anyone whos game has a solid like 15% chance against someone as inexperienced as Mickey gall, thats why hes like a +450 underdog instead of a +10000 underdog. but he is gonna get his rear end kicked badly and itll be disappointing for his fans

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Everyones mad except me. I actually find it funny and am laughing

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
CM Punk is really tough honestly, his training partners werent lying about that. He lasted way longer than he shouldve

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
All sports suck when you know nothing about them and arent invested in them imo, try watching an NFL game with someone who doesnt know the rules of football and doesnt care about it and see how long it holds their attention. The key is to not force your friends to watch fighting if they dont like fighting, or be lucky enough to have friends that will humor you and have a good time when you invite them over for a PPV instead of being like "this is booorrrinnng" like a 5 year old the whole time

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

Fabricio werdum has had some of the shittiest, most pathetic fights of all times and just because he's diving for ankles against someone you hate instead of someone you like/don't care about doesn't suddenly make his fights exciting

The fight had its moments especially by heavyweight standards but i agree

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The UFC is just as capable as Bellator/whoever of hiring a really lovely fighter for CM punk to fight if they want him to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
iirc this thread from the very beginning was Wrestling fans being like "LOL mma fans are so SALTY that Cm punk gets to fight in the UFC" and mma fans being like "LOL wrestling fans think CM punk is actually going to win" but very few people actually expressed either of those opinions. Everyone was acting very cool and above it all from the start so everyone wins

• Locked thread