Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
it's winter, and it's fr*ckin cold...i h ate it, post your tips for staying warm out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
here's a good one, if your stuck sleeping outside, sleep with your clothes for the next day inside of your sleeping bag, so they're already warm when you need to change

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ulvir

spend 30 minutes walking to where you need to go instead of taking the bus or metro like a chump, because walking keeps your heart rate up, pumping that good warm blood around

Pizzatime

light candles, close the doors, get slippers, wear a shirt and shorts to bed, sleep with the radiator on 1, shower in the morning

Ace of Baes

ulvir posted:

spend 30 minutes walking to where you need to go instead of taking the bus or metro like a chump, because walking keeps your heart rate up, pumping that good warm blood around

this is kinda true ime unless it's windy too then your fuckd

----------------

Ace of Baes
mfw my heater is broken, and only blows cold air, and the off button doesn't work

----------------

Ace of Baes
mfw drinking booze just to stay warm

----------------

Pizzatime

lynx crosspost

I Dunno

7777777 posted:

mfw my heater is broken, and only blows cold air, and the off button doesn't work

that happened to me last month. had to stay somewhere else until it got fixed. i get cold easily so my advice is warm clothes, hot food, cuddles, fuzzy socks. esp fuzzy socks. ooh and a heated blanket those are fuckin awesome

I Dunno fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 7, 2014

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

my tip: dont get cold you dummy

ulvir

if youre a bit cold underneath your sleeping bag, try rubbing one out (boy or girl, both or neither, doesnt matter) youll add some friction which warms your genetalia, as well as the heart rate thing I mentioned before. for added comfort embrace your waifu pillow to warm it up, and then you can cradle it and pretend for just a few moments that youre not lonely before you cry yourself to sleep

ulvir

7777777 posted:

this is kinda true ime unless it's windy too then your fuckd

covering the chin with your scarf usually helps but you also need proper clothing ofcourse. doesnt matter how much you move if all youre wearing is a pair of longjohns and a denim jacket

alnilam

hats are more important than you realize, you lose most of your heat thru you head, wear a hat

alnilam

do not wear only earmuffs, or an ear band, but rather, wear a whole hat

alnilam

it's tricky cause your head doesn't feel particularly cold but it will make your whole core cold, which is bad

ulvir

alnilam posted:

hats are more important than you realize, you lose most of your heat thru you head, wear a hat

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour

alnilam

another unexpected warmth trick: eating some food is a great way to warm up, if you are starting to get cold in the core. if you are getting actual hypothermia, food and water are two things you should seek immediately, plus obv a blanket and stuff

ulvir

thats not to say wearing a hat is a bad idea if you don't like cold ears

alnilam

goddamn scientists can't make up their minds (they're all one person you see)

City of Glompton

think warm thoughts like summertime, or campfires, or hotsauce.

use rogaine on your body to grow more hair to keep you warm.

sometimes if you get cold enough the problem will fix itself you'll start to feel warm it's like magic!

hemale in pain

fart under the covers

alnilam

when you boil snow for water at night, pour the extra into your water bottle and keep it in your sleeping bag for extra warmth (plus you don't want your water to freeze)

ulvir

alnilam posted:

goddamn scientists can't make up their minds (they're all one person you see)

I have a personal pet scientist who is rather contrarian, and he said "just do what makes you feel comfortable" so with that I only wear a hat during outdoorsy winter activities like cross-country skiing and so on. works pretty well

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
my burning love of marching band keeps me warm

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Pinche Rudo

Build a trash fire in your house just get a barrel and fill it with trash then light it on fire its super green since you are re using trash and you'll save money on your garbage bill!

Check out the podcast - https://rudospodcast.co

smoobles

close your garage door and run the car, the exhaust will warm up the entire room within an hour or so

----------------

poverty goat

one often underappreciated aspect of :pcgaming: and bitcoin mining is that spinning up the ol' video card makes your room toasty as gently caress

Pizzatime

I keep the gas oven on cause the radiators don't work at night and that's mostly when I'm awake I'm living a hosed up life in a hosed up place

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
cover your body in animal fats for that extra layer of protection

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

i'm literally shivering in my room right now with just jogging pants on cuz the alternative is to either cover up in blankets and walk around like a wampa or turn on the space heater which gets TOO warm

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

smoobles

the trick is to have a loving wife or husband to stay warm with by a nice fire, but if you don't have these jogging pants will work, or simply leave your gas oven on all night

----------------

WINNINGHARD

flay passersby and bathe in their sinful blood :greencube:

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

i use jogging pants and sweatshirt for my morning runs and boxing nights in the winter. it's v nice, even though there are newer and more in-fashion ways of dressing up to get sweaty.

then I shower and change and I put on another pair of jogging pants :D

smoobles

nobody thinks "jogging pants" when they think winter, but really they were made for each other

----------------

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

since I keep my head shaved it's really funny when I have to cool down for a bit during my runs to do some footwork/shadowboxing drills and take off my cap - steam comes off my head like a cartoon

joke_explainer

You don't lose 'most' of your heart through your head, but you still lose about 20% (you can measure this, the entire body produces about 100 W of heat, the head produces about 20 W.) That's a disproportionately large amount of heat loss for the area. Don't refuse to wear a hat just because alnilam was wrong. (http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae420.cfm , http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2009-11/neuron-computer-chips-could-overcome-power-limitations-digital)

Staying Warm

Okay so its winter and you want to stay warm. You're probably getting space heaters and stuff ready. But its highly dependant on what you do, and space heaters are pretty much poo poo. So let's do two scenarios.

Scenario 1: You Sit In Front of A Computer All Winter

It's extremely impractical to heat your entire house is you do this. It's even very impractical to blow heat on you from a space heater; most of that's just going up to the ceiling anyway. Stupid ceiling doesn't even care that it is cold. For optimum indoors heating efficiency and comfort, heat yourself, not the air around you.

But Security Drone, How Do I Do This. You're Mad.

First your feet. Buy a heated dog bed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PWJP7C/

Don't get worried about your status, just because its a dog bed doesn't mean its unfit for humans. Just put your feet on that.

Then you bundle up in a blanket. But there's a problem. You're going to continually be taking your hands out of the blanket and into the cold of the house, to manipulate your mouse and keyboard to do your computer things. Well, lucky for you they make heated mice and keyboards.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DHPZGM/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O3K93G/

Then get a 40 watt incandescent light bulb and a nice lamp with a good parabolic reflector in it so you can adjust the distance and angle and everything. The incadescent light bulb really makes a difference over LED or other light options; the hot filament emits a lot of infrared, which would generally be a waste but in this case we want it, it'll keep your exposed skin warm.

Further refinenments to the system. If you tie a blanket around your desk trapping warm air from the dog bed heater under it, you can get additional efficiency.

This advice is summarized from http://www.richsoil.com/electric-heat.jsp, which I utilized last year to stay cozy all winter.

Now, part 2.

Staying Warm Outside In Cold Temperatures

Layering is absolutely essential at low temperatures. I start with wool/acrylic blend long underwear, with a waterproof top layer. I would stick with synthetics as long as the temperature is around 0 to -5 C or so. Under that you're probably going to want goose down outer layer, a nice thick parka. The only problem with down is that it loses its capability to keep you warm at all if it gets wet. Getting wet is a death sentence. Don't get wet. For the midlayer, more wool or fleece. Make sure you bring eye protection, a warm scarf or two, a warm ear-covering hat, and possibly a head/mouth covering depending on winds. A few have breathing holes designed to keep the wind off your mouth and to re-use a little bit of the heat you exhale to heat up some air on the return, but I've never been in conditions extreme enough to merit something like that. Generally a scarf will do just fine.

Always pack an emergency candle or two in your car: http://www.amazon.com/Hour-Plus-Emergency-Candle-Clear/dp/B0002I1TCI , as all the warmest clothing in the world won't help you stay warm long term if there is no heat source in a freezing environment. Having this going (follow the directions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning) can save your entire family's life.

Consult with an expert who has hiked or climbed the trail/mountain you're going to many times if you're going to be doing those activities in extreme weather! BYOB is no place to handle an expedition shopping list. I'm sure tons of you are going on the Spring 2015 BYOB Mt. Everest Climb so please handle that responsibly all.

alnilam

i bike just about everywhere i go, unless it's icy. Even snow isn't that bad unless it gets really packed down. Doesn't matter whether you have a road bike or mountain bike, either is decent in some light/fresh snow as long as you pedal/turn carefully.

but alnilam, you live in a cold city, where it's not unusual to have daytime temps of 15-20 F (-10 to -5 C) in Jan and Feb. How do you do it?!

Well I'm here to tell you how to do it too!

The summary here is: Underdess your torso, overdress your hands and face.

Torso
-get a waterproof/windproof shell for your outer layer. i prefer this layer to have no insulation, it's more versatile year-round that way
-under that, layer as in SecurityDrone's post, but here is the big secret: you should always underdress, when you are biking somewhere!! your core is going to get really hot as you pedal around. When you first get outside, you hsould feel a little underdressed. I promise you, even on a 25 F day, I am always unzipping my outermost layers halfway by the time I get to work

Hands
Focus on gloves! This is the most important part of your winter biking outfit. Unlike with your torso, your hands need to be OVER-dressed. They are subject to the brunt of the wind, they are far apart from the rest of you, and they do not get much warmed up by your pedaling activity.
Good gloves are key! I have a light pair, a heavy pair, and two different kinds of liners (liners are cheap or sometimes free); between all those, I am good in any weather.

Face
When it gets below freezing I break out some sort of face covering. Your face and your hands are the two spots where you definitely want to cover up the most, because of all the wind. Balaclavas, scarves, whatever. Be able to cover your face
You may even want some clear glasses or light sunglasses - otherwise when it's really cold it can hurt my eyeballs and freeze/frost my eyelashes :cry:

Hat
Get a thin beanie that fits under your hlmet that should be fine, this may combine with your face covering if you get a balaclava

Legs and feet
long undies and jeans do me fine all winter, but I recommend having some waterproof overpants for snowy, slushy, or rainy days. like with the outermost jacket, they shouldn't carry any insulation of their own, otherwise you're gonna get hot
Feet: wear boots and wool socks idk i just wear what i would wear walkign around

"Ugh do I have to wear fancy bike clothes and then change into work clothes at work?"
Nope, I wear work clothes under my jacket all the time. If I have nicer pants on, I'll throw on my waterproof overpants to protect them from salt.

If you DO want at least your outermost layers to be bike-specific, Showers Pass makes nice stuff, and REI brand Novara's rain jacket is good too (or was when I got my jacket 5 years ago, and I still wear this jacket winter-round). Ncie thing about bike-specific rain jackets is they have a hanging buttflap to shield your butt from slush/rain/salt coming up. But any jacket should do.

Final tips:
rinse salt off of your bike (esp moving parts) with water every few days, then re-lube it. find somewhere above freezing to let your bike dry, do not let the rinse water freeze on your bike :negative:
---if you don't do the salt rinse, it's not the end of the world, but expect parts to wear down faster
get a fender(s), it helps a lot with slush especially

ty manifisto

smoobles

cold air actually causes you to burn more calories, to stay warm. go out in a speedo and watch the pounds fall away

----------------

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

we have four cats and when it gets cold they all burrow under the covers and snuggle me and my wife and they purr and it's warm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
only weaklings wear bike helmets tbqh

----------------

• Locked thread