Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulvir

spend 30 minutes walking to where you need to go instead of taking the bus or metro like a chump, because walking keeps your heart rate up, pumping that good warm blood around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir

if youre a bit cold underneath your sleeping bag, try rubbing one out (boy or girl, both or neither, doesnt matter) youll add some friction which warms your genetalia, as well as the heart rate thing I mentioned before. for added comfort embrace your waifu pillow to warm it up, and then you can cradle it and pretend for just a few moments that youre not lonely before you cry yourself to sleep

ulvir

7777777 posted:

this is kinda true ime unless it's windy too then your fuckd

covering the chin with your scarf usually helps but you also need proper clothing ofcourse. doesnt matter how much you move if all youre wearing is a pair of longjohns and a denim jacket

ulvir

alnilam posted:

hats are more important than you realize, you lose most of your heat thru you head, wear a hat

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour

ulvir

thats not to say wearing a hat is a bad idea if you don't like cold ears

ulvir

alnilam posted:

goddamn scientists can't make up their minds (they're all one person you see)

I have a personal pet scientist who is rather contrarian, and he said "just do what makes you feel comfortable" so with that I only wear a hat during outdoorsy winter activities like cross-country skiing and so on. works pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir

alnilam posted:

i bike just about everywhere i go, unless it's icy. Even snow isn't that bad unless it gets really packed down. Doesn't matter whether you have a road bike or mountain bike, either is decent in some light/fresh snow as long as you pedal/turn carefully.

but alnilam, you live in a cold city, where it's not unusual to have daytime temps of 15-20 F (-10 to -5 C) in Jan and Feb. How do you do it?!

Well I'm here to tell you how to do it too!

The summary here is: Underdess your torso, overdress your hands and face.

Torso
-get a waterproof/windproof shell for your outer layer. i prefer this layer to have no insulation, it's more versatile year-round that way
-under that, layer as in SecurityDrone's post, but here is the big secret: you should always underdress, when you are biking somewhere!! your core is going to get really hot as you pedal around. When you first get outside, you hsould feel a little underdressed. I promise you, even on a 25 F day, I am always unzipping my outermost layers halfway by the time I get to work

Hands
Focus on gloves! This is the most important part of your winter biking outfit. Unlike with your torso, your hands need to be OVER-dressed. They are subject to the brunt of the wind, they are far apart from the rest of you, and they do not get much warmed up by your pedaling activity.
Good gloves are key! I have a light pair, a heavy pair, and two different kinds of liners (liners are cheap or sometimes free); between all those, I am good in any weather.

Face
When it gets below freezing I break out some sort of face covering. Your face and your hands are the two spots where you definitely want to cover up the most, because of all the wind. Balaclavas, scarves, whatever. Be able to cover your face
You may even want some clear glasses or light sunglasses - otherwise when it's really cold it can hurt my eyeballs and freeze/frost my eyelashes :cry:

Hat
Get a thin beanie that fits under your hlmet that should be fine, this may combine with your face covering if you get a balaclava

Legs and feet
long undies and jeans do me fine all winter, but I recommend having some waterproof overpants for snowy, slushy, or rainy days. like with the outermost jacket, they shouldn't carry any insulation of their own, otherwise you're gonna get hot
Feet: wear boots and wool socks idk i just wear what i would wear walkign around

"Ugh do I have to wear fancy bike clothes and then change into work clothes at work?"
Nope, I wear work clothes under my jacket all the time. If I have nicer pants on, I'll throw on my waterproof overpants to protect them from salt.

If you DO want at least your outermost layers to be bike-specific, Showers Pass makes nice stuff, and REI brand Novara's rain jacket is good too (or was when I got my jacket 5 years ago, and I still wear this jacket winter-round). Ncie thing about bike-specific rain jackets is they have a hanging buttflap to shield your butt from slush/rain/salt coming up. But any jacket should do.

Final tips:
rinse salt off of your bike (esp moving parts) with water every few days, then re-lube it. find somewhere above freezing to let your bike dry, do not let the rinse water freeze on your bike :negative:
---if you don't do the salt rinse, it's not the end of the world, but expect parts to wear down faster
get a fender(s), it helps a lot with slush especially

this is a good post, I've been meaning to man up and be a full-time bike commuter. so far I've done like 20 trips this year, all of which was to and from the gym so I could skip cardio warm-up instead

• Locked thread