Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

So I'm getting a parrot very soon, and I've been reading a crapton of books and articles and whatnot, and I, like many here have noticed just how much ridiculous advice is out there. Be it, crazy hippy bullshit, or wacky pet masturbation, there is no shortage of terrible advice. Keep an eye out for the red-flag terms "healthful" or "holistic" or "alternative". Let's compile it all here.

Parrots for Dummies

quote:

Most veterinarians will tell you not to allow your bird to touch the ground for any reason. There's a fear of parasites and illness from filthy conditions. However, parrots that are allowed on the natural ground get the benefit of the earth's biomagnetism (which is heathful for everyone).

Guide to the Senegal Parrot and its Family

quote:

Traditional Western medicine falls show when it comes to many of the avian customers' complaints. I have gladly allowed my birds to be "guinea pigs" of alternative therapies. Several of my birds have had their lives saved by acupuncture, homeopathy, and Chinese herbs.

Various Posters on TheParrotForum.com

quote:

Their body registers the time difference between seasons - this is done so very exactly that tropical birds (and all other birds) are able to register a difference of a mere 20 minutes (which is the difference in the tropics -it's not 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness, it's 11:40 hours of light and 12:20 hours of dark or 12:20 of light and 11:40 of darkness). BUT their main breeding trigger is food availability instead of the length of dayhours so they only breed when food is abundant (usually at the beginning of the dry season when everything sprouts after the rainy season -which also has weather not propitious for breeding). The problem with this is that, in captivity, the weather is always good and the food is always rich and plentiful so, if you keep a parrot at 12 hours of light and 12 of dark, the parrot will produce sexual hormones all year round, year after year after year. Thankfully, all tropical birds revert to photoperiodism as their main trigger when exposed to longer differences which is great for us, parrot keepers, because producing sexual hormones all the time is something that 1) never happens in Nature (birds have a 'resting' season when they don't breed) and 2) creates physical problems because Nature made it so birds sexual organs are dormant and small during the resting season until the breeding trigger acts and they start producing sexual hormones which make their gonads (sexual organs) active and large. When you keep a bird producing sexual hormones without rest, these organs can become hugely enlarged, pushing other organs from their rightful place and causing chronic pain.

quote:

The correct bulb has a CRI of 94+ with a K temp of 5000to 5500. But to use them you will have to slowly increase the brightness over a period of at least 30 minutes until the light is fully on and then dim it over the same period of time in the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Clicker Training for Birds

quote:

Make sure your birds food is organic and not genetically modified.

^^^

Unfuckingbelievable :psypop:

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 7, 2014

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Yo, imma blob posted:

I've read a lot of people use apple cider vinegar in their birds' water for health at something like 8 tablespoons/gallon. And it has to be LIVE apple cider with the "mother" still in it or else it doesn't work. It's healthy because of acid.

It sounds like folk wisdom and I've never seen any actual studies on it. I have a hard time believing that there's a magic zone of acidity that will kill Bad Bacteria and not Good Bacteria in a bird's gut.

The lady who wrote Parrots For Dummies doesn't shut up about using Grapefruit Seed Extract to clean literally everything, and even recommends putting it in their water.

A cursory Google on GSE shows that it's basically Drano.

http://www.mommypotamus.com/the-ugly-truth-about-grapefruit-seed-extract/

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

:sigh:

Just took the bird to an avian vet who recommended ACV in the water to help digestion.

She is the head of the local universities veterinary department. :negative:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Yo, imma blob posted:

:psyduck: Did she say what the ACV was specifically supposed to do?

She said it would not only aid digestion, but if there was an issue with stomach parasites, it would take care of them as well.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

So either the vet gave me a snow job, birds fight fungal infections themselves (likely) or ACV is a ~*!WoNDeR DruG!*~. My parrot had a minor fungal infection, the vet told me to put him on 2 weeks of water with 1cc per 100ml ACV cut in, and lo and behold, his second fecalgram is clean.

Anyway, doing more bird research. Guess what? Your parrot can READ YOUR MIND :psyduck: From an article about finding a bird that has flown the coop:

Don't forget to call your local parrot telepath!

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I was always told not to use medicines, supplements, ect that go into the birds water because it is pretty much impossible to know how much of it they have consumed

It's even dumber when you consider that he is still being handfed, which means a huge majority of his daily hydration comes from formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"spontaneous correct choice making"

:wtc:

• Locked thread