Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Echoing everyone else, I would totally would be down for doing something like this.

Yeah, honestly, that sounds pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

This but also another thread where we play generally agreed upon bad games and try to enjoy them despite their flaws.

It'd be fun to do a thread where people discuss the positive sides of flawed/bad games to be honest, but I admit that's something I like doing in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think you can avoid being heavy handed and still not support stupid console warrior bullshit. It's fine if there are dedicated threads or whatever but it's pretty meaningless in other threads.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

I kind of want to say it shouldn't be stuff that already has a thread.

Yeah, it seems kind of pointless to do stuff that already has a dedicated thread and a lot of playerbase.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish there hadn't already been some high-profile LPs of the Cabela's Dangerous Hunt games because at least one of them is goddamn hilarious and like $2.50 at any given Gamestop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Widestancer posted:

You can make more LP's and I think some more discussion of the absolutely retarded hunting games out there would be funny and good.

Well, I didn't mean that you couldn't, more that I imagine enough people watched it that some of the fun of "haha, it seriously does that" might be lost.

You're right though, there are plenty of amazingly dumb hunting games out there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lyer posted:

The SJWarrioring in threads really loving ruin them (see last few pages of the GTA V thread). I understand that type of discussion needs to happen, but generally anything to do with it usually ends in poo poo. The social issues thread we had a while back turned into a huge pile of poo poo in a forum filled with piles of shits. poo poo everywhere.

I don't have a solution or anything, I just want to read threads about games.

I'm kind of bewildered by what you want. Grand Theft Auto V itself takes on social issues. There is an entire mission which is literally just Torture Is Bad And Doesn't Work (which is pretty timely considering the report released today.)

I mean not to be a dick but the movie, book and television subforums are all able to discuss things without people going "I just want to discuss movies" so I'm not sure why video games need to be a special snowflake where people never discuss anything.

I mean there are unarguably people who are both immensely super-defensive babies who don't want to hear anything bad about a game they like and people who are looking to swing their tumblr dick around, but y'know, those kind of assholes exist anywhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

also in the absence of a "Serious Gaming Chat" forum, there is no where else to talk about it. IZ exists for people to post about games and specifically not have to talk about those things so i dont see the problem with it happening in the main forum like in every other "art" forum

Well, there are problems with it. Supermechagodzilla (to use a Cinema Discusso example) can derail a thread like a freight train hitting a brick wall, but most people aren't even ironically Supermechagodzilla.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Widestancer posted:

What would you cite as the terrible parts? That would help a lot.

Eh.

I'll say that while there was some overly-strict moderation before, I think it's gone too far in the opposite direction. The current rules are basically lip service at best and it'd be nice if they'd either be revamped or enforced. (I'm mostly talking about the tedious-rear end console warrior bullshit that pops up any time any of the three companies has a bad day more than anything here in terms of the latter.)

And no offense to the people who enjoy Imp Zone, but it'd be nice if Imp Zone posting was at least somewhat discouraged outside of there. I mean I don't want to go back to people being utterly terrified they'll get moderated for making a joke or whatever, but there's a lot of no-effort trollposting popping up in threads. I guess it's a tough line to judge and it'd be better to be too loose than to discourage people from posting, but still.

And while I think it's good reports are down, I also think part of that is that people are discouraged from feeling like reporting is even a thing. The rules-as-written being only haphazardly enforced combined with report-shaming (justified as it may be) kind of leads to a feeling that it's kinda pointless to even try.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

Could you give an example post?

Well, one of the ones I was particularly thinking of in this case was the Super Smash Brothers thread right around when the Japanese release happened. It basically became an unreadable mess of no-effort posting, people reposting the same (unrelated) images over and over again, and that sort of thing. It was eventually moved to the Imp Zone and left to die.

In that case though it feels kind of lovely because it was a fairly hyped game that people were interested in with new leaks and information coming out fairly regularly, which is a situation where I don't think super-strict moderation is necessary but where low-effort white-noise posting really kinda hurt the entire thread. I don't think you need to Only Discuss The Game Upon Penalty Of Death but still.

That's kind of an extreme example, admittedly, so I'm not trying to imply that specific thing is happening regularly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

elf help book posted:

That thread's still open and posted in a lot, it's not "left to die". I doubt those regular posters think it hurt the thread. People just wanted to chat and you didn't.

Then why not make a thread in the Imp Zone and chat there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

elf help book posted:

Why not make a new thread in Games when it was getting too chatty?

Because it doesn't really make a lot of sense for the rule to be "a thread can be in Games until Imp Zone decides they want it, at which point Games is obligated to make a new thread."

ClothHat posted:

More stuff like this seems interesting, right now it's almost wall to wall megathreads. If I look at the first page of games the average non-stickied thread is probably over 250 pages. Most of them have really amazing ops, but beyond that unless it's something I'm super interested in then they're a chore to read.

I can post some random simple question but unless it’s in the OP then it’s probably been asked 50 times already and I’m just adding to the white noise. Is interesting content showing up? Yeah probably but it’s a pain to find. Having more generalized threads like the questions/screenshots/griefing threads exposes you to other genres and games that you might not otherwise have read about. I don't think rules or moderation are making any difference since people aren't posting in any significantly different way, it's just annoying to navigate sometimes.

These threads do exist, they tend to just run into the problem of not remaining on the front page for very long since they're a bit more low-traffic for whatever reason. I'm not really sure of a solution for that though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

You have a weird us vs them mentality. Imp zone and Games are forums. People can post in both without belonging to either.

Of course they can, but that doesn't mean the expecting posting styles aren't different.

I mean, yeah, I'll be honest and say that Imp Zone style humor doesn't really do it for me, and that's fine because the two are different subforums. I just don't go into Imp Zone and for the most part that works out for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

95% of the threads in Games see no problems at all. Keep in mind there's a loving shitload of active threads here. MOBA threads, a couple MMO threads, and cyclically the console threads are really the only ones that see any kind of "bad posting" but almost all the time they are harmless and easily ignored

Yeah, I will say, this is true. The console threads are the ones I'm really thinking of when I have any complaints. Aside from the Smash Brothers thing I can't really think of a thread I was following which had any long-term problems. (Besides a couple I followed for train wreck value and those were kind of doomed from the start anyway.) Most of the threads here are just fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Once? Keep reading. Constantly? Find someplace else to go where things are either funnier or smarter.

Basically I agree with this. It's not the end of the world if it pops up occasionally but it being a regular thing kinda makes the forums look lovely even if it is ironic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I haven't. Weird.

I wouldn't say it's overwhelming but I've seen a fair bit of it. It's usually in the less popular thread and... well, it ends up being stuff like:

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There are no gigantic faggots like you posting there as well so it's a double win.

Which is entirely meant in humor and I doubt anyone it is actually targeted at is offended by it, but it shows up more that it used to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sword_man.xmas posted:

links?

if it's happening constantly like you say then it should be pretty easy to find some recent examples.

Gyshall posted:

It isn't about respect so much as Anime Is For Faggets and All Bad Games Are Anime, thus bad games = for faggets

Here's one from the RPG thread, just as another example. And like I said, it's not meant seriously and nobody is offended by it. (I doubt it even got a report.) It's just popping up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

I guess I just don't really see the big deal about that post. The dude obviously tried to make a joke. It's not a funny joke to me, or you, but it's a joke. This post also seems way different than just responding to someone with "kill yourself" repeatedly

Well, that's fair. I think it may just be a change in tone for SA where previously even ironic racism/sexism/homophobia tended to not really be encouraged. (Unless it was extremely goddamn funny or in the FYAD-like places.) I only really brought it up because I've noticed it as well. I'm not about to storm off in a huff because someone used a naughty word or anything.

You're right though that it is a joke and I guess I might just be noticing lovely jokes instead of ignoring them as is the more reasonable thing to do.

• Locked thread