Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Let me counter with this. If someone posts "kill yourself" do you break into fits of anger because an internet shat out two boring words to you or do you scroll past it and continue reading cool poo poo about video games like every other normal human being?

Once? Keep reading. Constantly? Find someplace else to go where things are either funnier or smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Have you been reading 'kill yourself' constantly?

I've been reading it an awful lot on the Games forum over the past year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Where are the threads that are ruined by spamming of "kill yourself" or racial slurs? I've said that this happens occasionally in a few specific threads. Do I see it happening in 95% of the other ones? No. If we have a problem with every Games thread has devolved into unreadable garbage because of kill yourselves and racial slurs then I will fully admit that we have a serious problem

It doesn't require spamming it in one thread when it happens a few times a week in every thread. It's a pervasive atmosphere of that kind of posting being acceptable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Then it should be pretty easy to find me a few threads outside of the ones that I talked about where this is happening at such a level that something needs to be done.

You really think it's hard to find hostile shitposting trying to derail conversation in the Games forums these days? I won't use this thread since it's just too easy, but sticking just to the last pages of threads on the first page of the forum:

ethanol posted:

Oh christ you terrible terrible shits, I told you to shut up

oddium posted:

Who cares

Knifegrab posted:

Hahahahahah suck a dick Eternal Autist.

And that's when I gave up. Not that I think these people need to be probated, just that by going easy on the worst of it the entire forum has developed a hostile atmosphere.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

elf help book posted:

I like having some posts like that.

And I kind of agree. Like I said, those guys don't need to be slapped down. Just that there's too much of it now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Awesome! posted:

so what's your solution? some people can post with hostility and others can't? we each get one hostile post a week? as much as we want but only a certain degree of hostility?

this sounds like fun for kewpuh

Just doing what most of the forums on Something Awful do, dealing with the worst of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Eonwe posted:

I'd pay $10 for the ability to hand out a single 6 hour probation

Get on it lowtax

You know what? This is loving brilliant. If Lowtax wants another ivory backscratcher he should do this. Just make the probation message "[UserName] hated this message enough to pay $10 to make them shut up."

Edit: You've got to have the user name in there just to get some probation wars going and really rack up the cash.

• Locked thread