Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Hello again friends. We had one of these at the mid year point and now that 2014 is almost over, I'd like to do another to find out how things are going and maybe identify some more stuff we need to work on. Gonna go over a couple things first and then we can get started.

1. Reports/punishments are still down - Aside from the period a couple of months ago where it seemed like a lot of people had reverted back to reporting every dumbass little minor infraction that they could find, reports are at a pretty good level. There are never really more than 10 a day, and while 90% of those reports are still bullshit, it's nice to know that people are learning to be a lot better about recognizing that posts they don't like doesn't mean that the poster has to take a vacation for a set amount of time because of it. As far as punishments go, for example, 8 total probations were handed out in the month of November in Games, two of which were to a repeat offender/crazy person. I like that

2. Imp Zone IKs are now Imp Zone mods rather than IKs - Pretty excited about this one. Zen Death Robot and Zoq-Fag-Win have shown that they are pretty level headed and fully capable of handling intense responsibilities of being a SA forums mod like doing almost nothing and dinging The Taint Reaper with 6h probations when he makes bad pizza jokes.

3. More thread stickies - This is one that I've tried to be more active with but I can definitely use a lot more help with it. I've tried to pay attention to release dates or big news or steam holiday gifting events and stick those threads accordingly to get more participation or attention to them. If you think a noteworthy event is happening for a particular game or something to that effect, never hesitate to send us a PM or even report the OP of that thread and put the reasoning in the report reason if you want and we'll try to get it taken care of.

4. Megathreads issue - This has been brought up in the past couple of these that I've done and I want to let you know that Lowtax has been working on something that may change how megathreads work in a sort of post highlighting/kind of but not exactly upvote system. I'll let you know more on this when I hear more from the big man about it.

Alright thats all I got for now. Post your thoughts/concerns/whatevers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Not really gonna do IKs for MMO HMO. I get that some of you think that some posters in the forum take poo poo way too seriously or sometimes might be total loving retards with regards to things like underage sex or e-stalking, but that's an incredibly small sample of the entire userbase that regularly posts there. That's a type of forum that would not benefit from "spicing things up" which is what the entire purpose of an IK is. It's a forum centered around specific types of threads unlike GBS or fyad-lites where IKs have a lot more opportunity to do cool things.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Widestancer posted:

I think GBS caters to specific types of threads namely really bad ones but I definitely see your point here.

I'm glad reports are down and things are going well.

Also what happened to your AV?

somebody bought it for me i guess. that or an admin stealth changed it without using the mod queue (not sure if thats possible or not actually). i'm of the belief that if someone spends 10 bucks on these forums to change someones avatar that they should get their moneys worth so i'm stuck with it for like a week or whatever.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Brackhar posted:

What's the community size trend over the year? Are we growing, shrinking, or staying about the same?

Not great, honestly. Peaks at around 1400 but average is down about ~100 users from this point last year. Posts are down, as well as guests, but I don't know if the guests being down is due to paywall or not. This is also just for Games itself, doesn't include the subforums under it.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

Would Imp Zone stealing threads account for that? There are usually around 80-120 people browsing imp zone.

I mean it's possible, but you'd still like to see growth opposed to stagnation, ya know? So even if the case is that the entirety of Games, subforums included, are still pretty much the same as they were last year, it's disheartening to see that there isn't really a big draw to new people because there's just so much other poo poo out there now like Reddit. I think we're at the point where people join to post in Games because maybe they ran into a Goon Squad on some particular game and the experience was interesting enough for them to come check out the place

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Stelas posted:

How long was the paywall up for? I dunno if it's confirmation bias but it feels like it was up longer than it was down, and that'll definitely affect signups because no-one in 2014 is going to pay $10 for content they can't preview when they could just piss off to Reddit instead. The downtime / general upheaval probably didn't help either. Staying steady in the face of that's pretty good.

What are you counting as peak time, though? It's barely noon in the US and Games is at 1300+ people on, so at the very least there must be a pretty solid run of people through the whole day.

I think the forums are pretty great and I get to run a ton of cool board games.

Peak time usually is between around 4:00PM to about 10:00PM EST

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

i guess my problem or irritation maybe is that it took a thread like this to get people talking about doing something like that which leads me to think that people still are for some reason afraid to post threads and i hate that

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Hello kewpuH.

heLO

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Well, one of the ones I was particularly thinking of in this case was the Super Smash Brothers thread right around when the Japanese release happened. It basically became an unreadable mess of no-effort posting, people reposting the same (unrelated) images over and over again, and that sort of thing. It was eventually moved to the Imp Zone and left to die.

In that case though it feels kind of lovely because it was a fairly hyped game that people were interested in with new leaks and information coming out fairly regularly, which is a situation where I don't think super-strict moderation is necessary but where low-effort white-noise posting really kinda hurt the entire thread. I don't think you need to Only Discuss The Game Upon Penalty Of Death but still.

That's kind of an extreme example, admittedly, so I'm not trying to imply that specific thing is happening regularly.

Late to this after watching Louisville crush Indiana, but I think this is something that has happened forever in Games and there's nothing really that we can do to stop it. That Smash Bros thread hit the shitter because there was nothing to talk about. This is a common occurrence with all of the threads for Games that have yet to be released. Theres not much to talk about and it kind of devolves into idiocy. We could absolutely crush people with probations and bans but I don't really think there is any harm when there's nothing to talk about. Once the game was released in the US, it got a brand new thread and the posting returned to normal.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, this happens a bunch in the League thread. There's but so much you can kinda shoot the poo poo about before the next release or patch or whatever. That being said currently games isn't too bad right now but I kinda stick to League and WoW so I don't really know about other threads and the drama and stuff.

95% of the threads in Games see no problems at all. Keep in mind there's a loving shitload of active threads here. MOBA threads, a couple MMO threads, and cyclically the console threads are really the only ones that see any kind of "bad posting" but almost all the time they are harmless and easily ignored

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

I think all Games posters should visit Imp Zone because it's a pretty good place. I also think Imp Zone posters shouldn't have disdain for Games because of a few crazy shitheads. Both subforums have their strengths and weaknesses but they also both fall under the SA Games umbrella where we stand together as gaming brothers

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Servaetes posted:

Unrelated but outta curiosity what's the apprehension to megathreads? They occupy the front page a bit too much for the subforum? Hard to track what's going on in it?

They don't really bother me too much but I can see where some people might be irritated by the size of them. Just kind of what you're stick with on these types of forums. And the only alternative right now would be to just create varying threads on different aspects of a game but they'll fall off the front page so quick that nobody will notice them.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

So, was there any actual stuff that I should read in the past several pages or can I assume that it's more crap that doesn't help me at all

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

I get the complaint about the shitposting but, and I've said this before, this only happens in very few threads. And these particular threads, aside from the mmo ones, have always had this problem, with both heavy and light moderation. As far as slapfights go in threads, those are also pretty much the same. Back when we slapped people around for getting into bickering matches in threads, they still continued to happen. It's never really possible to catch them as they are happening, so we would always come into the tail end of them and then hand out punishments. It was kind of loving stupid. Now we just let them happen because we aren't going to stop them while they're happening and they never last beyond a few posts anyways so they can get their dumb argument about squirtle being more powerful out of their system and everything is back to normal.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

What about the use of slurs, "kill yourself", and other stuff that is generally unfunny, counterproductive and just plain bad. Is that going to continue to be ok?

Let me counter with this. If someone posts "kill yourself" do you break into fits of anger because an internet shat out two boring words to you or do you scroll past it and continue reading cool poo poo about video games like every other normal human being?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Endorph posted:

if you want my legit opinion about a Thing, there should be less 'send this thread to imp zone, boys' stuff going on

Imp Zone shouldn't be a gas chamber, it should be its own forum. if a thread is bad, actually gas it. If a thread is good, let it stay in Games unless the OP specifically requests a move to Imp Zone, or the people in the thread reach a consensus, or something. Basically, less using imp zone as a punishment, since all that does is encourage the weird culture war mentality that some people have.

From what i can tell, we've been moving away from that anyway, but I just wanted to reinforce that that's a good direction.

Very very few threads get sent to Imp Zone. Maybe 4 total ever? This seems like a non issue to me

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's true, but a few months back it seemed like you were popping up in Imp Zone every month or so to go 'alright what Funny Troll should we do now?'

I think the last time you made a thread like that it led to absolutely nothing, but

Ya but this was also back when Imp Zone had converted from DDRD, the stylesheet had been changed from the abomination, and I was throwing poo poo at the wall hoping to think of some reason to spice up the place. This of course ended up being not necessary at all because people started to post there because their eyes didn't hurt and it didn't really need any spicing up from a mod.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Once? Keep reading. Constantly? Find someplace else to go where things are either funnier or smarter.

Where are the threads that are ruined by spamming of "kill yourself" or racial slurs? I've said that this happens occasionally in a few specific threads. Do I see it happening in 95% of the other ones? No. If we have a problem with every Games thread has devolved into unreadable garbage because of kill yourselves and racial slurs then I will fully admit that we have a serious problem

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

How many threads need to be ruined before it becomes an issue?

I feel like maybe you aren't reading what I've been posting. I invite you to read my posts in this thread and then come back to me with whatever point that you're trying to make.

Random Stranger posted:

It doesn't require spamming it in one thread when it happens a few times a week in every thread. It's a pervasive atmosphere of that kind of posting being acceptable.

Then it should be pretty easy to find me a few threads outside of the ones that I talked about where this is happening at such a level that something needs to be done.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Just a small suggestion that the Games forum rules post should indicate that Imp Zone isn't just for no effort posting. It's not DDRD anymore, and that rule post might give the wrong impression.

I loving hate the rules thread and would prefer to just unstick it entirely because we already have forum rules and I don't see the need for it but this is a group decision kind of thing and I'm not kingshit of fuckmountain here

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Here's one from the RPG thread, just as another example. And like I said, it's not meant seriously and nobody is offended by it. (I doubt it even got a report.) It's just popping up more.

I guess I just don't really see the big deal about that post. The dude obviously tried to make a joke. It's not a funny joke to me, or you, but it's a joke. This post also seems way different than just responding to someone with "kill yourself" repeatedly

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

You really think it's hard to find hostile shitposting trying to derail conversation in the Games forums these days? I won't use this thread since it's just too easy, but sticking just to the last pages of threads on the first page of the forum:

And that's when I gave up. Not that I think these people need to be probated, just that by going easy on the worst of it the entire forum has developed a hostile atmosphere.

I see what you're saying with these posts but please understand that there have always been these types of posts. Forever. The only difference is that you don't see "USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST" underneath them.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

koolkal posted:

Are mmo hmo and the Blizz forum even Games?

They seem to have their own rules and rulers

legit saw a dude probated for not using periods and capitals the other day

I still take care of the reports for MMO HMO. Incoherence mods blizz/wow subforums so I don't really gently caress with them.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

That's funny. I don't remember seeing many of these in the past.

Does that really bother you?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

nelson posted:

If someone gets enough probations they can be banned. Then they have to pay :10bux: to post again, which helps feed lowtax's children. By not probating you are literally starving lowtax's children.

on the flip side, by being more lenient people would be more inclined to spend money on avatars or plat without fear of losing them which also feeds lowtax's children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

alright i'm gonna shut this down. send me a pm or whatever if you want to discuss more things but my major takeaways from this round are that some people dont like the lax moderation but most do. also that more people should post threads and stop being afraid of posting threads. stop being afraid of posting threads

• Locked thread