Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Here's one from the RPG thread, just as another example. And like I said, it's not meant seriously and nobody is offended by it. (I doubt it even got a report.) It's just popping up more.

Is this really more of a problem than it was before :confused: calling people faggots on the forums isn't new and idk, I really don't feel like I'm seeing it any more than I used to in Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Why are middle class white dudes the loving worst morality police?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

CoffeeBooze posted:

The point I am trying to make it the lack of rules have caused issues on the forums. Things are definitely better, don't get me wrong, but I feel there needs to be some tweaking. If you want to have any level of discourse having people slinging racial slurs and telling each other to kill themselves isn't going to achieve it, and that is starting to happen more and more often. There needs to be some basic standard for posting. It doesn't need to be setting the bar high.

There have already been multiple threads that looked like something from one of the 4chan boards. Is that going to start to be normal? Because that is the direction things are trending.

Here is one that looks like something from one of the 4chan boards.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686572&userid=122100

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My biggest takeaway from this thread was that an honest explanation of what makes this forum interesting to me did far more than any sperg wars or appeals to the moderation team ever would in dealing with the fact that I play terrible games whose threads are disproportionately likely to be gazed upon by the Eye of Widesauron.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Widestancer posted:

I think you have an issue with a very few very bad threads that got poo poo up because of dumb crap like this.

Feel free to provide an example of how dumb crap like this poo poo up a thread. I think wanting clarification about if it is a-ok to call people racial slurs is going to be ok going forward.

I have already provided examples of how spamming memes and racial slurs derails threads and caused issues. If you can provide an example of how someone asking for clarification about these rules has ruined threads, please do.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

Feel free to provide an example of how dumb crap like this poo poo up a thread. I think wanting clarification about if it is a-ok to call people racial slurs is going to be ok going forward.

I have already provided examples of how spamming memes and racial slurs derails threads and caused issues. If you can provide an example of how someone asking for clarification about these rules has ruined threads, please do.

lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

Then it should be pretty easy to find me a few threads outside of the ones that I talked about where this is happening at such a level that something needs to be done.

You really think it's hard to find hostile shitposting trying to derail conversation in the Games forums these days? I won't use this thread since it's just too easy, but sticking just to the last pages of threads on the first page of the forum:

ethanol posted:

Oh christ you terrible terrible shits, I told you to shut up

oddium posted:

Who cares

Knifegrab posted:

Hahahahahah suck a dick Eternal Autist.

And that's when I gave up. Not that I think these people need to be probated, just that by going easy on the worst of it the entire forum has developed a hostile atmosphere.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Why are middle class white dudes the loving worst morality police?

Yeah, we should totally be able to call black people niggers on the internet! Why do all these white people keep getting angry at me when I explain to them that all Mexicans are lazy!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CoffeeBooze posted:

Well your dumb poo poo has poo poo up this thread so

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

Yeah, we should totally be able to call black people niggers on the internet! Why do all these white people keep getting angry at me when I explain to them that all Mexicans are lazy!

lol

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I am pretty sure my dumb poo poo that poo poo up this thread is exactly that type of thing I've been talking about. The type of dumb poo poo Widestancer is complaining about I am not so clear about, however.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Using slurs for shock humor is generally pretty lazy I think. Also pretty lazy insults.

I think it's actually been declining overall except in the case of a few users though. At least one of which where being the worst forums poster is basically their schtick.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Random Stranger posted:

You really think it's hard to find hostile shitposting trying to derail conversation in the Games forums these days? I won't use this thread since it's just too easy, but sticking just to the last pages of threads on the first page of the forum:

And that's when I gave up. Not that I think these people need to be probated, just that by going easy on the worst of it the entire forum has developed a hostile atmosphere.

I like having some posts like that.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am pretty sure my dumb poo poo that poo poo up this thread is exactly that type of thing I've been talking about. The type of dumb poo poo Widestancer is complaining about I am not so clear about, however.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

elf help book posted:

Also I can't help but notice that none of those examples derailed their threads. Two of them were flat-out ignored and the third actually sparked a more focused discussion.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

elf help book posted:

And I kind of agree. Like I said, those guys don't need to be slapped down. Just that there's too much of it now.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

I loving hate the rules thread and would prefer to just unstick it entirely because we already have forum rules and I don't see the need for it but this is a group decision kind of thing and I'm not kingshit of fuckmountain here

I perform the ritual to summon Kingshit of Fuckmountain to see if we can get the rules thread for Games altered or removed in a meaningful fashion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

I guess I just don't really see the big deal about that post. The dude obviously tried to make a joke. It's not a funny joke to me, or you, but it's a joke. This post also seems way different than just responding to someone with "kill yourself" repeatedly

Well, that's fair. I think it may just be a change in tone for SA where previously even ironic racism/sexism/homophobia tended to not really be encouraged. (Unless it was extremely goddamn funny or in the FYAD-like places.) I only really brought it up because I've noticed it as well. I'm not about to storm off in a huff because someone used a naughty word or anything.

You're right though that it is a joke and I guess I might just be noticing lovely jokes instead of ignoring them as is the more reasonable thing to do.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

This is literally not something new. You chose one example of a retard in the Halo thread and then oddium saying "Who cares" to a guy discussing whether or not Kirby and Metroid take place in the same universe because of a Super Smash Bros melee cutscene and a post in the Dota2 thread referring to no one in particular.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Also I can't help but notice that none of those examples derailed their threads. Two of them were flat-out ignored and the third actually sparked a more focused discussion.

Derails I've seen happen when people continually bait a retard into being more retarded, while complaining about retards in the thread.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Random Stranger posted:

And I kind of agree. Like I said, those guys don't need to be slapped down. Just that there's too much of it now.

so what's your solution? some people can post with hostility and others can't? we each get one hostile post a week? as much as we want but only a certain degree of hostility?

this sounds like fun for kewpuh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The groupthink of SA exiles a ton of otherwise chill folks too so its not like being the language police and encouraging the groupthink helped the forums either.

Also coffeebooze no youre just making GBS threads up the thread because you are crazy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Awesome! posted:

so what's your solution? some people can post with hostility and others can't? we each get one hostile post a week? as much as we want but only a certain degree of hostility?

this sounds like fun for kewpuh

Just doing what most of the forums on Something Awful do, dealing with the worst of it.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Also coffeebooze no youre just making GBS threads up the thread because you are crazy

Which of the opinions I've stated do you feel is crazy?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze posted:

Which of the opinions I've stated do you feel is crazy?

He's probably talking about you being upset about dumb poo poo that happened months ago and only seems to be happening to really lovely threads with really lovely people in them

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You are crazy

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Random Stranger posted:

Just doing what most of the forums on Something Awful do, dealing with the worst of it.

pretty sure things are "dealt with" when necessary still. you just have a different definition of necessary now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Voyager I posted:

My biggest takeaway from this thread was that an honest explanation of what makes this forum interesting to me did far more than any sperg wars or appeals to the moderation team ever would in dealing with the fact that I play terrible games whose threads are disproportionately likely to be gazed upon by the Eye of Widesauron.

Pardonnez moi?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

CoffeeBooze sets up his D&D maesterstroke illuminated by the monitor from his six figgy job

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Widestancer posted:

He's probably talking about you being upset about dumb poo poo that happened months ago and only seems to be happening to really lovely threads with really lovely people in them

This is the State of Games thread is it not? Where we are supposed to discuss the state of Games. So, this is the place to bring up recent trend in the forum, is it not?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Widesauron is a good name change imo

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Are mmo hmo and the Blizz forum even Games?

They seem to have their own rules and rulers

legit saw a dude probated for not using periods and capitals the other day

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

koolkal posted:

Widesauron is a good name change imo

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Voyager I posted:

For Christmas I would like to be renamed Eye of Widesauron. This is a serious request and it would make me giddy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Like seriously coffee only a lunatic would think the poo poo you did in the last just few hours was a reasonable reaction to what happened. I dont even give a poo poo about your opinion because its clear you're loving insane. And not even the funny kind of insane, the dude back up kind of insane.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is the State of Games thread is it not? Where we are supposed to discuss the state of Games. So, this is the place to bring up recent trend in the forum, is it not?

Except this trend you're talking about only exists in your feeble mind. Are you really this daft?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Remember where you posted that picture of someone acting retarded? That person is you. This is you. You are that person.

You don't fight anything by acting like that, you become that.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Like seriously coffee only a lunatic would think the poo poo you did in the last just few hours was a reasonable reaction to what happened. I dont even give a poo poo about your opinion because its clear you're loving insane. And not even the funny kind of insane, the dude back up kind of insane.

Oh no, I have committed that mortal internet sin of copy/pasting the horrible things someone else said into an internet thread! Obviously I am cray cray to the max!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Except this trend you're talking about only exists in your feeble mind. Are you really this daft?

Have we been reading the same thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Everyone's addicted to coffee.

• Locked thread