Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Help PI I have a dumb idea but I'm the animal person in my family so no one will be able to talk me out of it if it's stupid.

I had 28 chickens that run around by my barn during the day and spend the night in chicken Fort Knox. "Had" is the key word here. During the past 2 weeks we have been having terrible dog attacks when we're out for the day. It's 2 beagles that run around town that no one will claim. I'm down to 17 chickens now after 2 attacks. All my girls are terrified and one rooster has a sad sad naked butt.

Today was the last straw. My brother had already shot at the dogs once but they came back today. So they got shot at again. Unfortunately he didn't hit either of them. I was hoping to trap one in a big havahart but that is probably not going to actually work.

Sooo... I realize the solution is probably just to fence them in better but there's so much space and I like having them run around and eat bugs. And they give me sad looks when I try to keep them in their fence (yes, they have one that they fly right over despite having their wings clipped. Only the dumbest ones actually stay in). How much am I going to regret it if I try to get a LGD in the spring to protect them? It's a lot of regret isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

That depends, how do you feel about the LGD protecting the chickens from you?

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Considering that I'm going to murder a lot of them for meat and manhandle the roosters if they get uppity, I don't like it. It's my biggest concern at this point besides the road being close-ish.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
LGDs do not bond to poultry and will kill them all hth

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

LGDs do not bond to poultry and will kill them all hth

Well crap. That is pretty much the opposite of what I need.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

It takes about 2 years to teach an LGD not to kill poultry, and you will lose tons in the process and without any larger livestock to actually socialize with and bond to, you're basically going to have a bored, chicken killing puppy that resource guards random poo poo for a few years while you ruin his life every time he kills a chicken. Then you'll have a bored, neurotic adult dog that will guard territory, but not the chickens themselves (unless it views them as a resource, in which case it will resource guard them) and it may, or may not still kill chickens depending on how much it cared when it got in trouble for killing chickens. It will spend its life barking at nothing, digging out, and devising ways to get to chickens because it will be bored as poo poo.

LGDs that typically "guard" poultry are, 99.999999999999% of the time actually guarding whatever larger livestock it is bonded to, and the chickens just happen to also be protected because they occupy the same space. Unless, again, that dog happens to not grow out of playing with chickens to death, in which case you p much just wasted a poo poo ton of time and chickens.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

"unfortunately my brother did not kill these dogs that are doing what dogs do to livestock"

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Maremma

Make sure you have a tree to bond it to

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Maremma dogs should always be your best friend.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Tamarillo posted:

Maremma

Make sure you have a tree to bond it to

What if I have 3 trees? Will it get confused? Please advice.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Explosions! posted:

What if I have 3 trees? Will it get confused? Please advice.

3 trees, 3 Maremmas. It's the only way.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I wonder if the crazy Maremma lady still regrets not listening to PI

Didn't she end up adopting it out on Craigslist or something 6 months after she got it?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 8, 2014

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

iirc she was trying to rehome it via a parenting forum after it began guarding a tree.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

my pyr is 10 months old now and while he is bonded to goats and pigs, currently his favorite thing to guard are the random eggs I sometimes toss him when I gather eggs. He protects the eggs from the goats. In case a goat might steal one.

They're basically stupid as poo poo until they're like 2+ and then they get their poo poo togther

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Maybe you would have more success trapping the dogs if you baited the trap w/ one of your chickens. Something to think about.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

As a dog lover: if you are in a rural area and the dogs are killing live stock, even if you bring them to the pound or whatever, they're probably going to be humanely euthanized. If you are okay with that, then get a havaheart and send those fuckers to the pound to go ~over the rainbow bridge~. If you really are going to take pot shots at the dogs, don't be loving stupid about it, and make sure that shooting nuisance animals is legal and that you aren't violating city/state/town ordinances about how far you have to be from other buildings/homes/etc.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

iirc she was trying to rehome it via a parenting forum after it began guarding a tree.

You can choose to believe that if you want. I choose to believe that she realised her error was not buying one maremma per family member and the family has been in a deadlock ever since as each dog is guarding its human against the other dogs/humans and no one can move without being eaten.

E: and no one is allowed to think about looking at the tree

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

wtftastic posted:

As a dog lover: if you are in a rural area and the dogs are killing live stock, even if you bring them to the pound or whatever, they're probably going to be humanely euthanized. If you are okay with that, then get a havaheart and send those fuckers to the pound to go ~over the rainbow bridge~. If you really are going to take pot shots at the dogs, don't be loving stupid about it, and make sure that shooting nuisance animals is legal and that you aren't violating city/state/town ordinances about how far you have to be from other buildings/homes/etc.

Yeah I can shoot a(t) dog and no neighbors will say anything, please anyone else make sure you're not going to hit the old lady next door's scooter or whatever before you do that.

Since you all have RUINED my dogfun I'm just going to get a guard llama/donkey (lonkey?) instead and name him Dogkicker and maybe put a bandana on his big ol neck. I hope you're happy.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

please donkey, llamas are such cunts

Dogkicker best name for lil spotty donkey :3

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Nthing Dogkicker, Kicker of Dogs

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
just get a bigger, meaner bird to live with your chickens. like a cassowary.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
PI always looking for mammals to solve a bird's problem :rolleyes:

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
No. gently caress those things I am terrified of giant birds. Chickens are bad enough when they get that bloodlust look in their eyes, I don't want to find out how fast a big one could tear me apart and eat my juicy eyeballs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are the dogs stray? put some dog food in a big have a heart trap on the edge of your land and call a beagle rescue to pick them up

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

are the dogs stray? put some dog food in a big have a heart trap on the edge of your land and call a beagle rescue to pick them up

oh how sweet

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Beagle rescue group would find someone keen to rehabilitate Poor Defenceless Beagles Used As Dog Fighting Bait Poor Darlings This Definitely Happened, and would totally put up with them biting and being feral because Abuse You Know.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Dogkicker the Donkey omg :3:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
All these people are wrong, please get a komondor.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

????

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

oh how sweet

All hounds are awesome, if these were pibble murderdogs I'd agree that taking potshots at them was ok

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Vacuum seal the chickens in plastic and then dip them in bleach so the dogs cant smell them

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
yo how do I get one of those sweet PI tags?

e: I mean I could just buy one but I feel an av should be earned

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

My Lil Parachute posted:

They come free with any Maremma purchase.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My Lil Parachute posted:

for outstanding posting in the service of l'île des animaux domestiques

and/or for winning the monthly Pose a Pet contest hosted by the lovely and talented Instant Jellyfish

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Explosions! posted:

Yeah I can shoot a(t) dog and no neighbors will say anything, please anyone else make sure you're not going to hit the old lady next door's scooter or whatever before you do that.

Since you all have RUINED my dogfun I'm just going to get a guard llama/donkey (lonkey?) instead and name him Dogkicker and maybe put a bandana on his big ol neck. I hope you're happy.

I'd read a kid's book about Dogkicker, The Donkey Who Protected Chickens.

Synopsis: A donkey with a bunch of chickens roosting on it, goes around the countryside whaling on dogs and making new friends along the way.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Superconsndar posted:

Is this for real? Holy poo poo I remember that thread, what a funny thread. She never posted again after posting twice about her autistic son, tiny apartment, no yard, and giant guard dog plan right? How did you find this out?

Edit: Also just get a bigger gun with more spray-and-pray power for your terrible shot of a brother who should be ashamed at how bad of a shot he is.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Is this for real? Holy poo poo I remember that thread, what a funny thread. She never posted again after posting twice about her autistic son, tiny apartment, no yard, and giant guard dog plan right? How did you find this out?

Edit: Also just get a bigger gun with more spray-and-pray power for your terrible shot of a brother who should be ashamed at how bad of a shot he is.

It wasn't me, I think some goon tracked her down somehow and posted it v:v:v

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Oh god yes he's a terrible shot. We're pretty sure that when he killed his first deer he didn't shoot it, he just scared it to death. I'm not any better but I don't pretend that I am so it's ok.

Brb guys going to write that kid's book about Dogkicker and his chickens. Also a guy at work's sister might have a free donkey!

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Explosions! posted:

Oh god yes he's a terrible shot. We're pretty sure that when he killed his first deer he didn't shoot it, he just scared it to death. I'm not any better but I don't pretend that I am so it's ok.

Brb guys going to write that kid's book about Dogkicker and his chickens. Also a guy at work's sister might have a free donkey!

GO KICK SOME DOGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Drum posted:

GO KICK SOME DOGS

I think I love you.

• Locked thread