Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Real hurthling! posted:

are the dogs stray? put some dog food in a big have a heart trap on the edge of your land and call a beagle rescue to pick them up

lmao yeah rescues are lining up to save Generic Beagle Dog #57 who is a stock killer and probably just generally a lovely pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

wtftastic posted:

As a dog lover: if you are in a rural area and the dogs are killing live stock, even if you bring them to the pound or whatever, they're probably going to be humanely euthanized. If you are okay with that, then get a havaheart and send those fuckers to the pound to go ~over the rainbow bridge~. If you really are going to take pot shots at the dogs, don't be loving stupid about it, and make sure that shooting nuisance animals is legal and that you aren't violating city/state/town ordinances about how far you have to be from other buildings/homes/etc.

I was going to say this, but there are already intelligent people here! Excellent.

Explosions! posted:

Yeah I can shoot a(t) dog and no neighbors will say anything, please anyone else make sure you're not going to hit the old lady next door's scooter or whatever before you do that.

Since you all have RUINED my dogfun I'm just going to get a guard llama/donkey (lonkey?) instead and name him Dogkicker and maybe put a bandana on his big ol neck. I hope you're happy.

This was my suggestion! I've heard great things about guard donkeys. Never got to have one. Please let us know how it turns out!

AND NOW, A WORD ON FENCING: When you fence poultry, you are fencing predators out, not fencing in the birds. Birds need very little fencing, and even if they fly over the top they'll come home at night. So, if you have dogs in your neighborhood, you need some proper fence.

Woven wire fence topped with a strand of barbed wire. The barbed wire keeps animals from climbing over the top..

The platinum standard of fencing is "horse high, bull strong, goat tight". Such a fence looks like this:

..and of course is not affordable at all.

So, nobody actually builds fences that tight. You need a dogproof fence. Dogs can climb, dig, and charge fences. But they're also very smart, so psychological barriers work very well. Electric net fencing is extremely popular because it's cheap & portable. A solid (~20 year) non-electric solution would be woven wire with barbed wire strands at the top & bottom. If you trust your donkey to guard your flock, a single strand electric wire would keep it in, and the donkey would keep predators out (hopefully).

Electric nets are really easy to short, so you have to weedwack the borders before you move the fence (don't wack a standing net fence: you WILL destroy the net!) to keep it electrified at all times. After a while the local predators will learn not to go near the fence and you won't need to electrify it even (until seasonal migration brings you some wildcats or whatever).

Raccoons, foxes and ferrets are also a threat, but usually only during the night (and if you haven't had a problem with them yet, you have a good coop! good job!)

I'm really surprised the rooster hasn't been keeping the hens inside the fence when the dogs are around.

Hope this helps!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

froward posted:

I was going to say this, but there are already intelligent people here! Excellent.

thank god forums user "froward" gives us gold star posting approval

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Saw them again today in town. I tried to lure one to me so I could take him to meet the nice ladies at the pound. He ignored me but maybe next time I'll get him.

froward posted:

ALL THE WORDS

Thanks I guess guy? I'm not stupid about fence and I actually have a decent pen (it's a little short but sturdy), I just prefer to let them run ~*wild and free like nature intended*~ because they keep the bugs down at my barn. Right now they're all giving me the poo poo eye when I go down there since I'm keeping them penned.

• Locked thread