Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Help PI I have a dumb idea but I'm the animal person in my family so no one will be able to talk me out of it if it's stupid.

I had 28 chickens that run around by my barn during the day and spend the night in chicken Fort Knox. "Had" is the key word here. During the past 2 weeks we have been having terrible dog attacks when we're out for the day. It's 2 beagles that run around town that no one will claim. I'm down to 17 chickens now after 2 attacks. All my girls are terrified and one rooster has a sad sad naked butt.

Today was the last straw. My brother had already shot at the dogs once but they came back today. So they got shot at again. Unfortunately he didn't hit either of them. I was hoping to trap one in a big havahart but that is probably not going to actually work.

Sooo... I realize the solution is probably just to fence them in better but there's so much space and I like having them run around and eat bugs. And they give me sad looks when I try to keep them in their fence (yes, they have one that they fly right over despite having their wings clipped. Only the dumbest ones actually stay in). How much am I going to regret it if I try to get a LGD in the spring to protect them? It's a lot of regret isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Considering that I'm going to murder a lot of them for meat and manhandle the roosters if they get uppity, I don't like it. It's my biggest concern at this point besides the road being close-ish.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

LGDs do not bond to poultry and will kill them all hth

Well crap. That is pretty much the opposite of what I need.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Tamarillo posted:

Maremma

Make sure you have a tree to bond it to

What if I have 3 trees? Will it get confused? Please advice.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

wtftastic posted:

As a dog lover: if you are in a rural area and the dogs are killing live stock, even if you bring them to the pound or whatever, they're probably going to be humanely euthanized. If you are okay with that, then get a havaheart and send those fuckers to the pound to go ~over the rainbow bridge~. If you really are going to take pot shots at the dogs, don't be loving stupid about it, and make sure that shooting nuisance animals is legal and that you aren't violating city/state/town ordinances about how far you have to be from other buildings/homes/etc.

Yeah I can shoot a(t) dog and no neighbors will say anything, please anyone else make sure you're not going to hit the old lady next door's scooter or whatever before you do that.

Since you all have RUINED my dogfun I'm just going to get a guard llama/donkey (lonkey?) instead and name him Dogkicker and maybe put a bandana on his big ol neck. I hope you're happy.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
No. gently caress those things I am terrified of giant birds. Chickens are bad enough when they get that bloodlust look in their eyes, I don't want to find out how fast a big one could tear me apart and eat my juicy eyeballs.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: Also just get a bigger gun with more spray-and-pray power for your terrible shot of a brother who should be ashamed at how bad of a shot he is.

Oh god yes he's a terrible shot. We're pretty sure that when he killed his first deer he didn't shoot it, he just scared it to death. I'm not any better but I don't pretend that I am so it's ok.

Brb guys going to write that kid's book about Dogkicker and his chickens. Also a guy at work's sister might have a free donkey!

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Drum posted:

GO KICK SOME DOGS

I think I love you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Saw them again today in town. I tried to lure one to me so I could take him to meet the nice ladies at the pound. He ignored me but maybe next time I'll get him.

froward posted:

ALL THE WORDS

Thanks I guess guy? I'm not stupid about fence and I actually have a decent pen (it's a little short but sturdy), I just prefer to let them run ~*wild and free like nature intended*~ because they keep the bugs down at my barn. Right now they're all giving me the poo poo eye when I go down there since I'm keeping them penned.

• Locked thread