Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
return0
Apr 11, 2007
i always tell my colleagues what i get paid, on the understanding they will tell me the same, and i think its weird that they don't in america

also uber and airbnb sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

return0
Apr 11, 2007
lol if you ever work more than 40 hours in a week

return0
Apr 11, 2007

FCKGW posted:

i do sometimes but then i'n hourly and end up making more than the engineers i support

okay it's fine to work more than 40 hrs/week if you are a) hourly, b) good hourly rate, c) choosing to do it voluntarily, then good i guess

return0
Apr 11, 2007
the pipe is clogged by horrible white male tech workers and their disgusting opinions and behaviours

return0
Apr 11, 2007
yeah sure "working" "80 hours" a week, totally believable, yep

lol

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

if its centralized it will never work because centralized systems never work. the centralized system will do things a-f that most people want but not things g-z that fulfill the rest of everyones needs and then everyone ends up ignoring the centralized system and using their own that doesn't work with anyone else. using a decentralized system allows flexibility while retaining the compatibility thru standards.

pretty sure most euro countries are centralised and it works fine??

return0
Apr 11, 2007

lmao classic

return0
Apr 11, 2007

holy moley this is horrible

return0
Apr 11, 2007
i am not american, or fat. seeing adults defend mcdonald's is hilarious to me, it's disgusting gross snack food for kids, it tastes like poo poo. how retarded does an adult have to be to like it lmao

return0
Apr 11, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I feel like startup carries a connotation of not having a real business plan beyond constant vc rounds and selling ads. I wouldn't call Amazon a startup, but I'd definitely call Uber a startup. You're not a real business until actually doing the thing your company does makes you money.

According to a startup is any business (including established companies) that seeks to enter a new market by rapid iteration towards value, with an emphasis on validated learning and extremely short cycle times.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

WONTFIX: CANNOT REPRODUCE

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

*necro*

I feel bad about agreeing with both Tori and Paul Grahama simultaneously.

A lot of this logic could apply to Edinburgh actually. Scenery there is heaven on earth. Public transport is excellent, and it's so small you can just walk to most places. There's a world class research university there and its buildings are interwoven with basically every part of the city.

Not really many restaurants and cafes though, and there's a general atmosphere of hostility towards anybody English or, god forbid, American.

Is it possible to get a modest cottage software industry going in a place without causing it to get devoured by amoral libertarian narcissists?

Edinburgh is a beautiful city, I loved living there. It also has a good tech company, a terrible tech bubble unicorn, and GTA.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

fermun posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/16/game-developers-must-avoid-the-wage-slave-attitude/
game devs don't deserve fair wages or work-life balance, says idiot.

loving retards like this guy are why i got out of making AAA games and into regular tech

better hours, better money, better people (still terrible but hey)

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

someone i know claimed they were working class, their job involves writing tweets

lmao

they are almost certainly correct

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

Dumbass foreigner: "Time to bake something! Let's set the oven to 176.667 celcius"

in my country we use C for everything, it works fine, have you considered that you might be a loving idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

You use it because you're used to it and you don't know any better.

yeah if i was used to it it probably wouldnt feel so weird. here it also has stigma because we used to use it before metric, so all the old racist people use it

• Locked thread