Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would love to be able to wfh but between cad licensing nonsense and in-person collaboration being necessary with olds it's probably not going to happen until i myself am an old

like i could sooner see task-based billing/payment supplanting hourly tracking before wfh happens in engineering

you can VPN in or check out a floating license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well maybe they're a place for their executives to entertain while in NYC

who am I kidding...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

a company that makes "environmentally sustainable" paper plates valuing itself at 2.5 million dolalrs

seems low if anything? assuming they are making them in house

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boss said that he once was at a talk given by an angel investor that said that out of 100 companies he did due diligence in and thought that they were all likely to make money he did no better than choosing (prescreened) start ups at random

hence the current insanity

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qntm posted:

hmm, this says nothing about how many of those 100 companies actually made any money

i forget the actual numbers it was something like 30 were a complete loss, 30 scraped along breaking even, 30 made decent money and 10 paid for the complete losses

ratios probably completely wrong

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mentioned that carly was going into politics to my boss, a ten year veteran of hp during the 80s/90s. I thought he was going to die laughing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

canada

we can also spin off Quebec at the same time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hell for startups just say they ran out of runway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its more about deflecting the question and not going negative. you're trying to sell yourself, keep stuff positive just like in any other sales environment

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

it was less about that and more that they can spool up in just a couple months to make 50 million of A Thing

also "we need to double the size of the factory" can be done very, very quickly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in which case you have to call a local dispatcher regardless, because there won't be random drivers with whatever mobile app in the cabin

you're getting to the real problem uber (and jitneys) addressed which is the dispatcher saying "lol no" or worse telling you the cab will be there soon but the driver ignores the request and you never get your ride

uber's user interaction with the app is nice, just punch in where you want to go and the request button and you get feedback that something is actually happening. there's nothing about the service that requires them to break the law by not having commercially licensed and insured drivers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uber didn't address that, it still happens plenty. Some people even have the Uber dude drive by the pickup spot and just refuse to stop.

ugh. well, there's consequences from uber for that at least in theory

I've had that happen with taxis but not uber so worksforme?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

And then they charge you the no show fee!

uber will happily take any fee off for customers and gently caress over drivers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

then you have called a lovely dispatcher, find a local place who will be more likely to pick you up than one across town

researching local cab companies is not what I want to do when I fly into a strange city. yes you can always get a cab from an airport, it's the next destinations that can be obnoxious

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

oh lmfao you're speaking in hypotheticals

wait an hour in the rain for a cab that dispatch says is definitely coming just once and you'll be angry for life

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

luckily because it was raining in NYC all flights were delayed so nbd!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

call a different company, child

no poo poo, you still are losing time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clever and inventive are just synonyms for "impossible to maintain"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

ah, good ol' business people sucking up to uber:

except the price in the vending machine doesn't change during the year or at high demand times

vending machine in amusement parks and at beaches cost more than vending machines at offices

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

our office vending machine is free

I wonder if the landlord can tack the sodas onto the rent

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to be fair, writing something that compiles puts you ahead of a lot of candidates

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what else can you say?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why are all English idioms terrible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

er I guess by definition an idiom is stupid taken literally

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its almost new year's, shouldn't we be talking about whether the bubble will get crazier or pop over the coming year?

my prediction is since its all private equity we have a long way down

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

the nation's financial "innovators" are starting to bundle car title loans into derivatives like they did with mortgages and fund managers are buying them and now with that new fdic rule out of the budget deal the government will have to eat those

maybe we can bundle idiotic tech, pre ipo startup stocks into futures (er, actually i guess accredited investors can do this already?)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

syscall girl posted:

on a somewhat related note somebody in the dnd chat thread said they saw fishmech arguing with one of his alternate accounts :allears:

dnd was accusing everybody of being fishmech at one point so that may or may not be true

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

well that's exactly my point. "i would join the military for sure but only if i get to be a cool badass flying fighter jets and not putting myself in any real danger. all the other jobs are beneath me."

plenty of risk in flying planes, since we're not paying to maintain the old air frames properly they're literally disintegrating in the sky

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

tbh navy seems like the least possible danger

the navy decided that ocean colored camouflage was a good idea for work clothing at sea

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

why not just say your husband?

presumably trying to say sister in law's brother in law

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

the latest rapist was using his wife's account to drive for uber, so the background checks are unbelievably easy to bypass.

tbf this is true for taxis too, thats why theres a giant picture of your driver with his license or medallion number in some city's cabs

its almost as if all these problems had been dealt with before

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wave of IPOs = the bubble is too big to be sustained by private capital markets

i don't know how much longer the bubble can go in public markets

seems like it could go for quite a while, the "dot com" bubble was almost all public markets wasn't it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fine, what is the correct term for your wife's sister's husband

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

way back there the reply was someone saying "sister in law's brother" which is likely meant to be either a step brother in law or brother in law

yay internet semantics arguments

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

weird how marrying someone makes their siblings your siblings in law. kinda implies your spouse is your sibling, which is kinda gross

mormons :argh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

look to Texas for all your ridiculous highway needs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is it even possible to tip with uber?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

yeah my general response to people talking about running from the police is "you cannot outrun a radio"

oh really you got a super fast super bike huh. so fast the cops can't chase you eh.

so they just write down your plate and radio it in and someone's already waiting for you when you get home

if you're doing something so incredibly illegal that the police would go to that effort surely you'd take off your license plate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

it's interesting that they charged the passenger with "using a vehicle without authority" instead of what he did, stealing it.

stealing requires the intent to keep it, the joyriding charge should be a much easier charge to prove. the real meat i'd think is the assault/battery charges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

be fair it said he was on administrative leave but didn't say if it was with or without pay

• Locked thread