Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Progressive JPEG posted:

5lb is plenty imo. ive been on the same 5lb fill for about a year, apparently enough to carbonate a bunch of 2L bottles and about 40 gallons of beer (across several kegs in a keezer). 5lb is also pretty convenient in terms of being easy to store/carry (eg it can fit under the sink)

if you just want to carbonate any liquid then here you go:

- 5lb co2 tank (105ish or less new/filled, then 15ish to refill)
- good regulator (65)
- tubing+ball lock (9)
- 'carbonater' adapter (15) to hook it up to 2L bottles

under $200 for a complete system, or way less if you go used for the co2 tank which is the majority of the cost

this is what i have, i used it to carbonate some baby carrots thr other day and it wad pretty rad to eat them and feel them crunch then fizzzzzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

do other cities have the cold pressed juice thing yet? going rate around here is nine earth dollars for a pint of kale, lemon juice and turmeric run through a machine

in austin the wholefoods will sell you 12oz of water with a fruit or veggie just plopped in it. not juiced or blended, just plop it in there. $7.99.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Luigi Thirty posted:

someone asked r/stocks why tesla is worth $280/share despite never making money and all the responses were Elon Musk cargo culting about how he's a genius and we'll all be driving them in 10 years and it's the future so you should buy now

a company that manufactures a thing and loses money is still better than any trch stock from 2000-2001. i don't know if they're worth 280 a share but they at least will have actual assets and valuable IP that could be liquidated in addition to value from goodwill.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I thought you guys were all rich? hmm?

(a 5lb bottle of CO2 is about 6" in diameter and 16" tall)

i live in 1000 sq feet with a kitchen along one wall in the living room and i found room for it it aint that big

duTrieux. posted:

maybe carbonate some whisky, i have no idea how that would taste

carbonated frozen-ish orange slices are really good too

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

duTrieux. posted:

i'm assuming thsi would be done with a mason jar and and adapted lid from a commercial vacuum sealer line?

i did it w a nalgene that i drilled a hole into the lid of and put a ball socket in there with epoxy, wouldn't use glass or a mason jar for pressure stuff if i were you. plastic explodes much less shardy.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
a work gym with a rock wall is definitely a nice work gym

the place i work now has a nice work gym with a squat rack and real barbells and dumbbells up to 120lbs but i have seen a lot of office gyms and apartment complex gyms that only have some weak rear end machines and a couple dumbbells up to 60 lbs or so, presumably for insurance reasons

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Triglav posted:

i think trader joes is the model walmart's going for with their grocery store

80% of everything in trader joes is Trader Joe's Brand, whiel walmart's just got 50% Great Value Brand atm slowly creeeping up to 100%

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sniep posted:

cecil nooo

lonely man dinner

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Main Paineframe posted:

people do it with food, too. they'll just grab a prepackaged sandwich or a box of cookies or something off the shelf, open it up, and start munching on it right there and then as they walk to the checkout to actually buy it

weirds me the gently caress out

why
why would you care about this

i like to get a nice cold topo chico to shop with, it is a very pro move and you should try it

mmmmmmmm

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
this is from the whole foods near me:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

suffix posted:

if you can't spend 30 minutes in a store without getting your beer fix you're probably an alcoholic and shopping for more alcohol that you'll drunk drive home where you'll spend the night drinking alone
that's not my question, my question is what kind of alcoholic buys lone star at whole foods, how do they fit in their marketing plans, and how can we put the blame on the tech industry where it rightfully belogs

that sounds like a really dumb way to live, you should do it how i do it.

have a walkin around beer, go home with snacks and burgin supplies, put on my rainbow umbrella hat and grill some burgs for friends at the pool on a sunday afternoon :cool:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

eschaton posted:

whole foods' line would be that it's wrong for the state to restrict alcohol sales in any way, because it's run by a randroid

they actually treat the employees pretty well, the people i know who have worked there liked it

every employee has the same health, dental and vision plan as all the executives (including the checkers)

they have salary for executives capped at 19 times the average employee so the ceo only makes a little over a million/yr which is not a lot for a fortune 500 company ceo

there are a lot of dumb things about whole foods like the whole placebo section for wellness that they have, but they act pretty far outside what i think of when i think of a randian superman

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
they wouldn't call it a walkin around beer if you weren't supposed to drink it while walkin around, and since the street outside is a no open container zone you gotta chug it and smash it on your head before you walk out, you can't open it outside of the store unless you go at least across a block away to get out of the no open container zone, so it's gotta be a walkin around in the store beer

QED

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i mean don't get me wrong they're not the most evil company that capitalism has ever produced

but they sell literal snake oil in a significant portion of the store and they most definitely are a union busting company

yea tho their orientation deffo says that THEY WILL NEVER DRUGTEST

yeah the health section is bizarre and i tried to buy toothpaste there once and it DIDN't have fluoride and even if you are a crazy anti fluoridated water nutbag i absolutely don't get how you would want fluoride free toothpaste because it works and toothpaste is a delivery mechanism where you don't even swallow it WHY does this EVEN EXIST?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what was amazing was when i had my first friday payday afternoon off in nola as a middlingly affluent young professional and i walked into the whole foods uptown and was absolutely taken aback at how many well put together women had been in there for at least half an hour buying overpriced produce before hitting the cheese section where i had made a beeline for in order to impress the elfin pixie cut theater major i was hookin up with and how differently these office women dressed to my tiny hipster lady

it was eye opening let me tell you

yoga butts

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mishaq posted:

loving pbr, lonestar and tecate at a whole foods lmao

literally at whole foods world headquarters :colbert:

this is the hq in the building above the store:

a block from the original 1980 location (now a goodwill store)

where a young kwinkles bought artisanal bespoke walking around beers as a childe

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 6, 2015

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
why is the new wholefoods hq not at the original location you ask? because the original one was in the flood plain and floods every el niño:

whole foods original location flooded, memorial day 1981:

goodwill in the exact same building, memorial day 2015:

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 6, 2015

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
meanwhile the lunatics at that 7-11 across the street just stay there and get flooded every now and then for 35 years.

1981:

2015:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

did you take that picture or is someone else the weirdo with a polaroid driving around snappin' pix of muddy 7-11's while presumably blasting that hot new artist rick springfield

no its all from city archives posted on the city flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/austintexasgov/sets/72157626196677382/

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
guy at dell apparently living in a conference room and developing his own app on company laptops has been fired i guess?

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/techflash/2015/09/inside-dells-world-worker-documents-hq-life.html

quote:

The first video, posted shortly before 7 p.m. Tuesday evening, depicts company security meeting with Schaefer in an office setting. The security officer then takes possession of Schaefer's company laptop and other devices.
"I just got fired," said Schaefer. "Or suspended."
In the second video, Schaefer, now in his car and pulling out of the company parking lot, laments that he is out of a job and "homeless"
“Companies don’t really value entrepreneurship or the ability to create something," Schaefer said. "They want you to be there and work there, right, but they don’t let you do your own thing, even though you might have your own ambitions and dreams. I guess the only way is to do it is to not work somewhere.”

what?

the austin subreddit has some more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/3k8p00/for_any_other_dell_employees_who_got_that_flyer/

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
mental illness is a hell of a drug

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

refleks posted:

what, did the whole world get turned upside down in two days. what happened that he couldnt foressee two days ago?

him being a big dumbass

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Panty Saluter posted:

real estate is a weird business. i swear it's second only to hip hop when it comes to conspicuous consumption.

like you can be a workaday realtor, nothing near the level of john galt's properties, but you still have to put on aspirational airs. cant show up in a sensible car, people will think you're not doing well and therefore can't pump money out of them (i really don't understand this aspect of it). you would think being practical and in touch with working people would be desirable but for some reason people want to see some nouveau riche bullshit.

i can't even imagine what its like when youre selling 1m+ properties to foreign investors, although being a smug prick with a fatal case of dunning-krueger probably helps

yeah it's weird because people seem to want someone who knows what they are doing and use the car and office as a proxy for that but the nicer the car the more money the realtor is taking from a transaction and not really doing any work.

a $500/hour real estate lawyer will do the whole transaction and still only come out to a few grand and save you a shitload of money over a realtor too, but they won't drive you around and hold your hand on all the stuff like inspections like a realtor does.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
is this where i post gamergate-related or at least gamergate-adjacent panels on online harassment at sxsw getting canceled because of online threats?

http://www.sxsw.com/news/2015/sxsw-statement-hugh-forrest

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Tayter Swift posted:

it would suck being on like the 35th floor and having to take the dog out :(

i am in the elevator with people with dogs all the time its no biggie. i think half the people in this building have dogs.

also on one of the parking garage floors there is an astroturf dog walking park with a spray hose so you don't have to go all the way outside, which is nice when it is cold/rainy, or when people don't want to go out on the city street late at night

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 27, 2015

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Tayter Swift posted:

im just spoiled af here where it's super easy to take the dogs out

good thing too, my moms dog gives absolutely zero warning when she takes a dump, at least she goes outside but beyond that sidewalk road grass all the same to her plop

a couple of my neighbors have great danes and they are like big chill horses in the elevators. the little yippy dogs are the annoying ones.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DaNzA posted:

if you have a balcony you can just put astroturf on your own balcony area, along with few potted plants and chairs so you can chill outside on a good day

yep

i also have a solar powered light globe with an outlet for your laptop that runs on a motorcycle battery.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

i can't deal with gk's voice. something about the smacking, the pauses, and the way he enunciates just generates incredible hatred in me.

As best I can tell what happened is the following:

there was an anti-harassment panel planned.

gamergate people went nuts and demanded their own panel

sxsw gave in and let them have a panel

the anti-harassment panel was subjected to so much harassment and threats that sxsw canceled the panel citing safety and worrying that it would spill over into the rest of the concert and get in the way of their brand engagement opportunities

someone had the ability to rub two brain cells together and went ahead and canceled the GG panel too because you loving know who was behind the threats in the first place and it would look awful to let them have a panel after they bullied the others off.

GG idiots are probably going bonkers over this but I don't give enough of a poo poo to check.

thats actually more than i had read and been able to figure out yet. i am in the austin subreddit downvoting people who are blaming "sjws" for this and unironically saying "mens rights mens rights" right now, you should join me.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

triple sulk posted:

i would be loving terrified of the cats falling off the balcony because cats can be utter morons

yeah they were out there once for pics 2 years ago and then i locked them up forever because when they are inside they jump into the windows after bugs like they have no self preservation instinct. i have no doubt that a single flying insect would cause them to leap to their own deaths.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

at the date posted:

Indeed: spineless feminazis afraid of open debate.

keep fighting the good fight, retard

oh you know i will. look at my av. that is how mad i made someone.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Smythe posted:

when i was a kid / teen i stole my neighbors cats. anwyays, this one cat had all its bones brokes once kuz her husband was a dp for some movie so they were moving around a lot idk and she was a cat aldy YOSPOS BITCH and took the cats to the hotel and it jumped out the window and broke 100% of its bones. epic. it died at like 15. my mom was coming home from work and it zipped ou the door (this was a fat af cat that never moved) and then died under another neighbors deck. my mom forerial tiedup blames herself for the cats death. epic. anyways, thats my Cat Broke All Its Bones Leaping From a HOtel Balcony story

cats are 100% mega dumb and would leap of the old wtc observation deck if they think they can kill a bug.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

syscall girl posted:

yes but their terminal velocity is often survivable

you would probably not do as well without a wingsuit

not gonna risk it, they stay inside with me in a forced cuddle situation. i cuddle, they learn to like it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Luigi Thirty posted:

ah here we are

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/27/this-is-not-a-game-how-sxsw-turned-gamergate-abuse-into-a-spectator-sport.html

SXSW makes you upvote and downvote panels and so the online harassment comments thread was entirely death threats and rape threats and doxxing, SXSW refused to remove any of it because "it's a discussion between two legitimate viewpoints free speech" as you see a panel where everyone agreed would be "boring"

loololololol: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/sxsw-festival-pulls-pro-and-anti-gamergate-panels-after-threats

quote:

Media organisation BuzzFeed has said it will pull out of the festival entirely unless both the panels are reinstated. In a letter sent to Forrest by Ze Frank, the president of Buzzfeed Motion Pictures, the organisation said that: “BuzzFeed has participated deeply in SXSW for years, and our staffers are scheduled to speak on or moderate a half-dozen panels at SXSW 2016.

“We will feel compelled to withdraw them if the conference can’t find a way to do what those other targets of harassment do every day — to carry on important conversations in the face of harassment. We hope you can support the principle of free speech and engage a vital issue facing us and other constituents on the event.”

The SXSW festival will go head on 11-20 March in Austin, Texas, without the panels.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

which is why they are going to start panicking if tech media companies yank participation over it - that free press is the reason 90% of the dumbass startups come to sxsw.

Vox media is withdrawing as well now

yes it is great they chickened out to make the safe move for most money and now it's going to cost them money.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

ok so a drone might be able to handle an air-filled back of Doritos but they are going to have major problems with the mountain dew code red 2-liters.

just use a microwave power beam so any people between the drone and the amazon distribution center is at risk of being cooked alive.

eventually cities will adapt and become empty spheres of wasteland with drone dropoff points on the edge of the sphere and civilization clinging to the sphere like moss on a rock.

poor people will risk it and try to live in the dead zone in faraday cages and it will be cyberpunk as hell.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

duTrieux. posted:

i like your vision

what about power transmission from space, so if the beam and drone are ever misaligned the satellite roasts everything along the edge of the drone's path

anything where a city can be roasted and thousands of people die and a multinational corporation can issue a boilerplate apology press release, thats cyberpunk as hell.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
so sxsw cut the gamergate panel, but is going ahead with the original harassment panel and devoting a whole day to the subject and reddit is hecka mad about it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mishaq posted:

links please

https://m.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3qlbrn/happenings_report_sxsw_to_turn_harassment_lemons/

https://m.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/3ql0bs/cnn_hln_discusses_sxsw_cancellation_calls_us/

the original story is from re/code and it states that sxsw approached vox media (the parent company of re/code) about a day long event and not re-instating the gamergate panel. so its not an official announcement but if anyone knows what sxsw said to vox media it is probably vox media

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Smythe posted:

kinna hurts the resale value hoss

yeah repeated blasts from a vortex cannon to disrupt the lift from the rotors would be way more cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN_N_J1yx-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pepperony and cheese

• Locked thread