Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

on the one hand it's great that my company's only real competition is this clownshoes operation but otoh it might impact our own grown-up IPO we have planned down the line

you work at couch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

from a developer point of view, every time i encounter someone about to make the life mistake of touching the mongo poop i redirect them towards couch
it's just alright, as dbs go. got that master to master replication

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fits my needs posted:

Basically every yosposter that wasn't poor growing up probably has an inheritance waiting for him/her. I mean if your dads are doctors like Sagebrushs and HPHs you're gonna get an inheritance for sure, not to mention a nice financially secure childhood.

both my parents were doctors but they went into biotech startupland
my 3rd grade, we were in the projects in providence rhode island. my 4th grade, i went to rancho santa fe elementary, average parent net worth >5mil
it was extremely strange

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk i dont see whats bad in a mongo project ditching mongo made by web developers for a mongo made by database developers

lol i searched marklogic up properly
the highest profile project made with marklogic was the ACA healthcare sign up site
the one that crashed and burned
lol
just lol

e: wait, was it the one that crashed and burned? let me read up more
e2: yep, it was the one

but oracle poo poo sucked harder, as oracle poo poo tends to do
lol

e3: gently caress lol marklogic was originally 100% an XML based db
just lol at your loving poor life decisions

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 14, 2017

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also there are about 0 things wrong about the xml, its all on "disruptive" web developers

gonna need you to stop shaggarposting

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, literally half of problems i currently have at my job are caused by use of mongo

i ain't advocating for a mongo
i am advocating for real dbs that have real successful users
not among the set of real dbs that have real successful users: mongo, marklogic

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
on the subject of physics, wealth is distributed ~ power law (or stretched exponential, or power law with stretched exponential shoulder) so averages mean nothing and medians mean everything
it's the fate of nearly all of humanity to be destitute and has been for millenia
eat that loving universality, yospos bithc

other things that high people have claimed are universal with critical yadda yadda: yo filesystem, yo network packet latencies, yo software projects, yo neural nets

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

s p o s b i t h c

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

if you define pulling that dumpster fire of a project out of the dumpster, getting it online in a super short timeline, and continuing to run the project 4-5 years later as crashing and burning then yeah, sure

weren't you guys the original and initial db vendors

yeah, upon research, yeah you were

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i went to school with vinod khosla's kid, i realize now
he's a chill dude, dunno what's up w/ his dad

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

here we have a single trolley that connects the rich yuppie part of town with the rich yuppie nightclub district part of town

but it has an adorable bell, ding ding

multitrackdrifting.jpg

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
startup i used to work in got a lotta startx refugees

the muskform doesn't treat anybody very well, does he

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

btw this is a firm called kimley-horn, stay the gently caress away from them

rating of 4 on glassdoor lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
coast, west and coast, east, north of mason-dixon line are cool and good
lol at the rest

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dude I knew had a 1.2 million exit (1.2 million his share) and went onto landlording. he's pretty heavily leveraged (4x about on 1 mil, 0.2 mil to live on for a few years), pretty worried about orangeman, pretty worried about bay area housing collapsing as it prolly should

if he put it in vanguard he could prolly putter about doing whatever without worrying tbh, he's 26

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he also has a job puttering about part-time at a vc firm for which they pay him the paltry sum of 90k/year

my observation of rich-rear end people in palo alto and whereabouts is that the mental illness rate is >99%. diagnosed and treated >60%.

pejman nozad, i'm pretty sure is 100% mentally healthy, that's it for vc's i've met

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

i thought the bay area also constantly smells like piss and poo poo

SF is a subset of the bay area only. Palo Alto smells alright, so does Mountain View and Redwood City

e: and the piss and poo poo places are a subset of SF only, also. it's just literally right next to the richest toniest areas of town and also the tiny shrinking middle class bits so the middle class folks this thread is filled with encounter it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

if you are a computer toucher and aren't on target for retiring at 50 with a mil or so you hosed up or have a big family

this is based on a monte carlo based upon united states returns, so it's based upon historical american returns data, contingent on political, financial etc etc poo poo.

if you shove in german, japanese, russian data in there too, it doesn't look so good.

does our political situation look like america in 1850 (where equities did fine and bonds lol) or germany in 1930 (where equities got their asses handed to them along with bonds)? who knows? maybe we'll just get a 10% kick in our balls and go on our way with trump in a noose. maybe civil war 2 electric boogaloo.

just saying that poo poo happens outside the monte carlo. good-turing estimate for how often poo poo will happen outside of the monte carlo suggests conservatism

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

yes but you see then every single homeless person in the entire country will descend upon sf

already done
sometimes by the other states buying greyhound bus tickets to sf

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're gonna ship more machine learning on the one click captchas they have too

currently it's a jumble of ruleset and a couple linear and a couple bayes nets models and poo poo

gonna wash in the deep learning

told the guy who told me this that this isn't what perceptrons and poo poo is for and he was like, "gonna do it anyways lol"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol rules and if statements are fine
deep learning is only fine when 5% error rate is considered godlike
otherwise lol gently caress off

bet you :10bux: it's someone shoving more deep learning in places

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

lmao. every single time

"NO IT REALLY WASNT COMMUNISM BECAUSE ITS NOT MY FANTASY!!!"

scandanavian social democracy is nice
bernie is nice
stalin lol no

what's so hard about that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Stymie does this neat lying-with-statistics thing where he claims that because more gen xers and snake people voted in total than baby boomers, that means that they were responsible for voting in trump and this is proven because he won, even though the overall votes for trump came primarily from the boomers, which are a smaller but much more heavily conservative demographic

There should really be a class taught in high school about statistical falsehoods

hey, a straightforward application of simpson's paradox

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
renaissance is owned stock lock and barrel by mercer lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
did undergrad in 3 years 1 quarter thanks to spamming ap classes
1 grand outlay for the tests, 60 grand saved in undergrad (incl. life expenses)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you're never gonna get rich
usually the way to value it is at $0
but you could just value it at strike price, given the derisking from it being profitable and poo poo
exercise if you feel like it, but don't think you're gonna get rich

don't go into startupland for the money, go into it for technical interest and interesting loving weirdo people

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one hypothesis that i heard is that they use Philippine contractors for the actual verification step

you may have noticed the Philippines going pretty fash in the past year or so

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, i thought they were pretty much as reliable as gas cars because tesla is worse objectively at QC but the actual task of making ev is waaaay easier than making a gas car, cuz fewer moving bits, so the poor quality workmanship is on a buncha fit and trim poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not convinced anyone is getting any money out of it these days

walk around in downtown palo alto sometime

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

the guys next to me were literally just having a loud conversation about how dumb and bad non-developer solutions to programming problems are as I was reading this thread

you can't implement business workflow logic as visual puzzle piece blocks / flowcharts etc that actual businesspeople can write themselves because that's dumb apparently

there's like 40 systems that fit that descriptor, all of which are basically carcasses lying in the grass, smoke coming up from them in great plumes

first and worst of the languages that businessfolks were supposed to write: COBOL

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

it always turns out that business logic is programming and that couching it in friendlier terms or making everything into shiny boxes in a flowchart doesn't magically make businesspeople capable of doing it. turning vague requirements into something firm enough to be implemented ais a skill that a lot of people don't have and don't want to acquire. programming is not going to disappear as a profession, and it probably won't even shrink that much. what it might do is continue to slowly slip from being an upper-middle-class job into something more solidly middle-class

programmer was solidly middle class 40 years ago. it whacked itself up to upper middle class actually in the valley

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and yeah, we've listed like 5 or 6 of the 40 or so corpses i know of already right here in this thread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i recall its fake as hell
funny tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
silicon valley is less white than the rest of america
this is cuz of all the asian dudes but lol

the goog is 60% white 30% asian
america is 74% white 5% asian

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Stymie posted:

gosh it's almost as if white supremacy is advanced by the exploitation of minorities

i'm sure all those h1b guys are equal beneficiaries of the tech figgies

goog h1b guys are, actually, 100%

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Has Tesla ever explained why they use 18650 cells (or their new slightly bigger but nearly identical form factor) instead of some larger format with less packaging? Surely there has to be a way of making the packs smaller and lighter by not using 10,000 little cylindrical metal cans inside.

the fire suppression stuff depends on high surface area

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this'd be a huge derail to get into discussing very deeply, but this is a wide-ranging assumption that it is somewhat invisible to people; deep learning techniques have had a of success when getting data thrown at them, but there is no actual argument or proof why they must necessarily keep going towards perfection in every scenario we imagine, such as self-driving cars

that is, there may be a combinatorial explosion inherent in the self-driving task when mapped onto the deep learning structure (i.e. neural networks of some simple topologies), and they may never improve to the level people keep expecting. sure we are seeing progress now, but it may be approaching perfect self-driving only in the way you can approach going to the moon by climbing higher in a tree

it's not, "they perfectly self-drive", it's, "they self-drive 10x better than peeps"
not a low bar, not an impossibly high bar. w/o rain, I think googcar is getting close (and only googcar)

we knew that as soon as you poke a single goddamn thing combinatorial explosions fall out in neural net land, and we've known that since the 60's. but backprop already is a O(n^(2r)) to O(rn^2) speed improvement anyhow per minibatch so you know

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

p much. lots of people, even smart people who should know better, think machine learning is some exponential process that one day will just hit the part of the curve that flies off to infinity and suddenly we'll have god-AI.

from what i've heard from actual researchers though, there's tons and tons of saddle points and local minima and all sorts of other random bullshit in that graph that computers constantly get stuck in, and we're not even sure what lies beyond that bullshit (if anything)

in constraint satisfaction problems, they even have a phase diagram spelled out like in physics and poo poo, with a region in the phase diagram where Nature basically says "lol go gently caress yourself"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

when you can stop qualifying that statement it'll stop being an impossibly high bar.

i saw a googcar self-driving around last week in mountain view during the moderate rain. it's not like they gently caress off at the sight of rain like they did 4 years ago

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/10/5-things-we-learned-from-waymos-big-self-driving-car-report/

e: generally, I believe that there exist impossible limits to computation

the impossible limits to computation are not, "can drive a car", otherwise people wouldn't be able to do it

more like, "3-sat at alpha=4.8whatever in polytime"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we don't even automate trains

lots of automated lines in copenhagen, barcelona, paris, sao paulo metros, where the peeps in the train are for customer service, not doing anything

there's also 2 orders of magnitude less cost savings, something like that. how many train drivers do you know? how many car drivers?

• Locked thread