Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i would straight up kill any one of you for a rail line from Madison to Chicago

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

So in these fantasy traffic systems are they expecting all cars to have some kind of ultra-reliable high speed internet connection talking to a coordination server for traffic flow management or some kind of wireless yelling match to figure out who goes when or do they just expect optical sensors to figure it all out

of your three choices, which one do you really think it is

hint, it's the hand wavy one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

lancemantis posted:

ah yeah, i guess i didn't think through things in a suburban enough of manner: the biggest problems in the world are things that you percieve as even the most minor of inconvenience have been solved by public transportation

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"ugh I hate stoplights so much they're so dumb" *is forced to wait for 2 minutes at most*

"why cant I just drive drunk the bar is so far away and im not going to leave my car in a neighborhood those people might steal it in"

"i wish i could just continue to bury my face in my phone like i do at all times not requiring my attention"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i'm the loose patch of gravel in the middle of the intersection that causes a momentary loss of traction and a 20 car pileup

and more broadly, i'm the jackass who when the roads are full of self-driving cars will start just crossing the street wherever without caring about traffic, since they will as a rule all stop for me whether there is a pedestrian crossing or not, personally slowing down traffic citywide out of spite

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

man that's a pretty big ask, there must have been quite the severance offer attached...

"in return for two weeks severance pay"

yeah ok a nice big "no, you go gently caress yourself" is appropriate there.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm the loose patch of gravel in the middle of the intersection that causes a momentary loss of traction and a 20 car pileup

thank you for playing police quest

don't make this mistake again

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
there's a reasonable case to be made that self driving cars would shift economic incentives from owning cars to some kind of uber type model that reduces congestion in cities. the basic argument is, cars spend 90% of the day sitting in a parking spot taking up space. if they can drive themselves then the economics will strongly favor some kind of sharing model. fewer cars needed to serve the same people and space in cities is reclaimed from parking spots. also if you go all electric then the car can go charge itself somewhere while not in use, etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

So in these fantasy traffic systems are they expecting all cars to have some kind of ultra-reliable high speed internet connection talking to a coordination server for traffic flow management or some kind of wireless yelling match to figure out who goes when or do they just expect optical sensors to figure it all out

they have magic.

i've seen articles about theoretical peer-to-peer info sharing from vehicles in the area, completely ignoring how there's nothing even approaching a standard for autonomous sensors, data formats, etc.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't forget the best part: magical intersection management

this game is fun:

https://captaingames.itch.io/freeways

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

and more broadly, i'm the jackass who when the roads are full of self-driving cars will start just crossing the street wherever without caring about traffic, since they will as a rule all stop for me whether there is a pedestrian crossing or not, personally slowing down traffic citywide out of spite
just lol if you dont do this already in a major city. i'm an rear end in a top hat pedestrian in sf, why yes i'm going to intentionally walk slow in this lane that is really backed up and also start walking with only a few seconds left

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'll be doing this but with holograms

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this is unironically me. i will do this. i do this now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

they have magic.

i've seen articles about theoretical peer-to-peer info sharing from vehicles in the area, completely ignoring how there's nothing even approaching a standard for autonomous sensors, data formats, etc.

2017 is the year of linux on the blacktop

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

you would need to have 3 pedestrian refuges to cross 16 lanes of roadway

so that's 4 ped signal phases to gently caress up traffic right there, 8 if you include both n-s and e-w ped crossings

not that anyone would design that anyway it would just be a giant flyover pedestrian overcrossing costing millions more if there were ever peds anywhere near this abomination

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

some kind of uber type model that reduces congestion in cities

this is where that breaks down btw

peak hour demand (what you design roads around) remains unchanged and congestion just goes up outside of that since taxis just drive around all day looking for or serving fares - trip generation analysis just doesn't hold up

basically

you need a modal shift from drivers to reduce congestion, full stop

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
uber has noticebly made traffic insanely worse here in the bay area

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Xaris posted:

just lol if you dont do this already in a major city. i'm an rear end in a top hat pedestrian in sf, why yes i'm going to intentionally walk slow in this lane that is really backed up and also start walking with only a few seconds left

I'm a super considerate pedestrian and I still get almost run over a few times a month

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

self driving cars will suck at first, but the thing is that even when they crash and kill that nice family, at least you can upload that data and learn from it. they'll get better over time, and it's not like we do a stellar job already of not killing ourselves...

i mean "autonomous cars kill 35,000 people a year in the US" would be a crazy headline, but "people kill 35,000 people a year with cars in the US" is just of accepted?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

I'm a super considerate pedestrian and I still get almost run over a few times a month
i blame uber drivers, they are the worst.

but yea im probably going to get hit one of these days

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

crabrock posted:

i mean "autonomous cars kill 35,000 people a year in the US" would be a crazy headline, but "people kill 35,000 people a year with cars in the US" is just of accepted?

and now a word from the national car association

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

gonna get a tesla asap strap my family in that thing and then hope they die in a fiery crash so i can get some of that sweet settlement money before skynet learns all the good driving skills

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crabrock posted:

self driving cars will suck at first, but the thing is that even when they crash and kill that nice family, at least you can upload that data and learn from it falsify it to make it look like the driver is to blame somehow

ftfy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

i saw a bus almost crush an uber last week who decided that a good place to stop and suddenly let out a fare would be the red zone covered in NO STOPPING signage that has no parking lane whatsoever

it got me wondering how closely traffic enforcement looks at these guys, since it's not like you've got a big number painted on your roof and bumpers to easily identify some rear end in a top hat like taxis are required to have

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i would have also accepted "sell it to advertisers" or "use it to void your warranty at the earliest possible chance"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i would straight up kill any one of you for a rail line from Madison to Chicago

your governor vetoed it remember?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

your governor vetoed it remember?

all too well

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyway as this thread has been over a million times we already know what causes car crashes and have some real, measurable, 100% certain ways of lowering the amount of car crashes a huge amount.

instead we're sinking a bunch of money into magical self-driving cars that are currently worse drivers in every way.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is where that breaks down btw

peak hour demand (what you design roads around) remains unchanged and congestion just goes up outside of that since taxis just drive around all day looking for or serving fares - trip generation analysis just doesn't hold up

you need a modal shift from drivers to reduce congestion, full stop
yeah the surge is what kills this particular daydream. everyone needs a car at 8am and 5pm on weekdays, everyone wants a car to drive them home at 2am on saturday, everyone wants a car to pick them up at the airport the evening before thanksgiving, which means you need the same number of cars and the same number of lanes to handle traffic as you do now

it does help with parking congestion (your car drops you off at work and then goes and hides somewhere else waiting for its next call) which is useful

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

ate all the Oreos posted:

i would have also accepted "sell it to advertisers" or "use it to void your warranty at the earliest possible chance"

just lol if you don't think they'll do all 4 at the same time.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

crabrock posted:

self driving cars will suck at first, but the thing is that even when they crash and kill that nice family, at least you can upload that data and learn from it. they'll get better over time, and it's not like we do a stellar job already of not killing ourselves...

this'd be a huge derail to get into discussing very deeply, but this is a wide-ranging assumption that it is somewhat invisible to people; deep learning techniques have had a of success when getting data thrown at them, but there is no actual argument or proof why they must necessarily keep going towards perfection in every scenario we imagine, such as self-driving cars

that is, there may be a combinatorial explosion inherent in the self-driving task when mapped onto the deep learning structure (i.e. neural networks of some simple topologies), and they may never improve to the level people keep expecting. sure we are seeing progress now, but it may be approaching perfect self-driving only in the way you can approach going to the moon by climbing higher in a tree

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

there's a reasonable case to be made that self driving cars would shift economic incentives from owning cars to some kind of uber type model that reduces congestion in cities. the basic argument is, cars spend 90% of the day sitting in a parking spot taking up space. if they can drive themselves then the economics will strongly favor some kind of sharing model. fewer cars needed to serve the same people and space in cities is reclaimed from parking spots. also if you go all electric then the car can go charge itself somewhere while not in use, etc.

using a car that someone else has been in and doesn't have all my favorite things set up and all my crap everywhere? ewwww

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this'd be a huge derail to get into discussing very deeply, but this is a wide-ranging assumption that it is somewhat invisible to people; deep learning techniques have had a of success when getting data thrown at them, but there is no actual argument or proof why they must necessarily keep going towards perfection in every scenario we imagine, such as self-driving cars

that is, there may be a combinatorial explosion inherent in the self-driving task when mapped onto the deep learning structure (i.e. neural networks of some simple topologies), and they may never improve to the level people keep expecting. sure we are seeing progress now, but it may be approaching perfect self-driving only in the way you can approach going to the moon by climbing higher in a tree

i was just about to post essentially this.

ml isn't magic and flawed models produce flawed results no matter how much data you pump into them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/CIAGoFundMe/status/932270774374817792

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

flakeloaf posted:

2017 is the year of linux on the blacktop

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
really autonomous cars are a great current example of tech solutionism at its finest

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

p much. lots of people, even smart people who should know better, think machine learning is some exponential process that one day will just hit the part of the curve that flies off to infinity and suddenly we'll have god-AI.

from what i've heard from actual researchers though, there's tons and tons of saddle points and local minima and all sorts of other random bullshit in that graph that computers constantly get stuck in, and we're not even sure what lies beyond that bullshit (if anything)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lancemantis posted:

using a car that someone else has been in and doesn't have all my favorite things set up and all my crap everywhere? ewwww

that would own, i would rip such nasty farts in a self-driving car with nobody else in it, keep the windows shut for the next person

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Xaris posted:

You're the reason I get stuck in traffic in Daly City. I will pee on the toilet paper in your office every day.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it got me wondering how closely traffic enforcement looks at these guys, since it's not like you've got a big number painted on your roof and bumpers to easily identify some rear end in a top hat like taxis are required to have
66% of downtown sf traffic citations are issued to tnc drivers [estimated to be 20% of traffic], the bulk of them are for stopping where they shouldn't and driving in the bus/taxi lane

if you know anything about the sfpd they pretty much don't enforce traffic laws like ever so the reality is far, far worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

if you know anything about the sfpd they pretty much don't enforce traffic laws like ever so the reality is far, far worse
ftfy

• Locked thread