Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

the tech bubble is the best way I've found to funnel money away from the super-wealthy and into my pocket. long live the tech bubble.

it's a wealth transfer from 1%er shitlords to up-and-coming libertarian shitlords but this is still a net positive

Werthog 95 posted:

top secret tips for young animators leaked in the sony hack

lmaoooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

feelin rigid

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

Motorola Solutions has a publicly listed toll-free 'employment verification' hotline that tells prospective employers what you made there, down to the dollar.

one of the reasons I couldn't play poker coming to Denver.

Don't ever work for Motorola Solutions.

were you just straightforward about your salary expectations then

because it's not a faux pas to be explicit about cost of living differences between rural arkansas and wherever in colorado you ended up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the cash components of employee salaries

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Leck posted:

wouldn't everyone get poisoned if they opened the windows at google?

kinda

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

your dog isn't really a dog either.

that thing has a brain the size of your thumb. it can't hunt or fetch or do anything except stand there and shiver, it's like a less useful hamster that eats more expensive food. so congrats on your broken pet i guess

being anti-tinydogge is to be anti-tater and that is simply not tolerated here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

ugh yeah, i feel so sad for dogs like that. all they can do is be scared and tremble

i had a chihuahua (rescue) along with a medium catahoula and a big lab in hs

the chihuahua was the boss dog and ate first and generally made about the same level of noise as the other two dogs

we couldn't leave her outside at night because of owls and the squirrels were not afraid of her even a little bit. didn't stop her tryin to attack them tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

well people seem think all this free food, shuttles, laundry, ball pits and the like isn't coming out of the same budget

for sure it's just funny because it implies a ball pit salary that is supplemented by the availability of slides and maybe an xmas bonus fireman's pole if production goals are met

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PuTTY riot posted:

'my dog is a service animal' (*cause i said so) is some seriously hosed up poo poo that makes me really loving mad

excuse me but it is "emotional support animal"

service animals are actually regulated beyond just a note from your shrink

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

the emotional support animal thing has helped my mom have a dog and cat in her apartment. she and her husband love the dog and cat and so I'm ok with it v:shobon:v

it's also the silver bullet that you shoot into your bay area landlord who doesn't allow pets (this is all of them)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

is that legal down there?

up here they can say poo poo like no pets, but it's completely unenforceable and they can't kick you out for it

yes, but only if you're not renting a room from an on-site landlord that's a dwelling under a certain size

so it's totally legal if you're moving into an apartment complex but not if you're renting out some dude's spare bedroom who is allergic to/afraid of/dislikes dogs

this means that it's really popular in the bay area because dogs are A Thing and landlords here almost universally don't allow pets - the rare ones that do charge a premium on top of pet rent too

i can tell you from firsthand experience that it is literally impossible to rent in palo alto and menlo park if you have a pet that isn't also classified as a medical device

people also use it to get around size and breed restrictions

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

I remember telling a tourist about pet resumes and they thought I was joking

i had trouble believing that pet rent was a widespread and normalized thing until we got here

we're lucky to merely be paying $60/month for a 14 lb terrier

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pr0zac posted:

i want an emotional support potbellied pig, pigs own

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
you can just like get one of those cheese slicers and peel off bacon from your pig and eat it whenever you want

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

born on a buy you posted:

there are places pet rent isn't a thing? everywhere I lived in college and since has had that. deposit to cover cleaning and then 30-60 a month in additional rent

it's not a thing in new orleans or indeed anyplace i've ever heard of in louisiana, alabama, mississippi, georgia (atl area) or houston and all of those places are extra-poo poo to renters

never heard of it in nyc either. idk AZ from just owning but i assumed that it was like renting in the south ie buttfucked once up front for pets instead of as an ongoing thing

and a deposit is returned in full for normal use or else it isn't a deposit

one time pet fees are the norm to cover the "additional cost" of cleaning in places that make you justify poo poo like that

but california enumerates poo poo like how long a landlord should expect things to last like paint (2 years) and carpet (10 years) as well as strictly outlines how deposits work (must refund in full or not at all and limits mean first + last month rent bs is outlawed), so pet rent it is apparently b/c that's not illegal yet

lol at louisiana having greater renter protections than california

my friend who just moved here from louisiana to be a vet pays $120 per pet per month at her place in sunnyvale so we're p lucky to merely be paying $60 for our little ugly furbabby

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

Thank you! :)

this is how i end my pushy business emails when someone delays a response to me

unff

Citizen Tayne posted:

He is smarter than everyone else. Everyone else is too stupid to be trusted with his assets.

This is a real thing with people who are smart or who think they're smart, doctors are notorious for trying to manage their own practices with poor results.

this also results in doctors being common targets for things like investment scams

because they have money and the idea that since they are skilled or successful at one thing, then due to the transitive property they are good at anything that they set their hand too and are deserving of future success

i fully understand how lucky i am to have a partner that understands this implicitly

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kwinkles posted:

the danger with rental apartments is that people don't replace the aircon filter. when i rented i used to turn on the AC and smell the air coming out of the register, then turn on the heater and smell the air. sometimes you get a huge whiff of someone's gross dog smell.

i like dogs, but dog smell in vacuums and air conditioning systems is the worst.

when i was a landlord for the family property in baton rouge i changed that poo poo out myself erry month (no a/c for 3ish days in the summer there is enough to start mildew growin)

this also afforded me the chance to speak to the tenants firsthand in order to address maint issues and work with them for delayed rent or swapping people around on the lease and generally trying to be helpful as hell b/c i'm inheriting that poo poo i can't be havin a hurricane create leaks that aren't found for a season or two of heavy southern louisiana rain or dumbass 20 year olds vengefully fuckin the place up

also b/c lol i intentionally and illegally shifted to renting to ladystudents at lsu since they (their parents) pay on time and they don't wreck the place up and i was a nerdy as hell student too so i'd go outta my way to talk to them about fixing poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i find a pro thing to do when ending an email requesting something is to pre-emptively thank them for helping b/c people often then feel like a jerk if they say no

this is a pro move yeah - it's important to sound sincere too (to olds)

also for us this usually entails repeating information given in phonecalls esp re: when a response is expected, so that there is a written record of someone loving up a deadline that isn't me

420 CYA erry day

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
futurewife had to fly back home unexpectedly due to a suicide in the immediate family

so i'm up late feeding my insomnia scotch and dealing with poo poo like rescheduling this wedding band making workshop in emeryville that's already paid for

it's cool tho everyone that we've had to deal with so far for moving things around has been really understanding and i'm now double drat glad that we have a planner to help smooth things along since we're 3 months away at this point

ugh prolly gotta drop some guilt on my bosses to let me relax a deadline in order to attend the funeral in a week or two or whenever they release the body

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i realize that it sounds crazy selfish, but this could hardly have come at a worse time for last minute schedule changes for our jobs/programs and months-planned wedding stuff and airfare and whatnot

maybe day before the wedding would've been worse

maybe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fleshweasel posted:

same at oregon state except saudi arabia, and the UAE

my buddy who did geology at lsu had this dude in his cohort who from craaaazy wealth in the uae

he drove a neon green charger and when they would go out drinkin this dude would straightup ignore women who addressed him first or asked him questions

ofc he enjoyed telling the dumbass american women all about how he was gonna go back and manage oilfields and have like a dozen wives

reportedly he still got laid p often b/c money

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

new york city ?!?!?!?

get a rope

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also y'all don't seem to understand that you don't just rent to college kids

you illegally give rental preference to college students who appear to be the daughters of wealthy people

they are easily the best tenants

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

at my undergrad university there was a jaguar limousine (not like a stretch limo, just the fancy gently caress-you car that only people with chauffeurs buy) with saudi diplomatic plates that would always park right in the middle of the footpath in front of one of the dorms

i would have smooched up against it with my backpack and belt and bent a mirror every single time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mido posted:

beagle barking

this is The Worst and it is contagious to other dogs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

he'd try to crowdsource the death ray instead ans act confused when he finds out you can't make one out of used nissan stanzas
                /
               /

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i can see expanding RICO to include anything else going over about as well as the first shot congress took at outlawing ACORN and inadvertently also caught lockheed martin and northrop gumman and boeing and all the rest of the MIC

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

triple sulk posted:

some diabetics are terrible at managing their blood sugar (so pumps are not the best solution)

this is literally why those pumps exist hth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

people gently caress up keeping the pumps filled dude

you load them every two days and move the barb+hose that's jammed into your flesh to a new site

my buddy has one and it is better in every single way to needles and testing kits aka poorly managed diabeetus

pumps are also significantly cheaper and lower maintenance than a goddamn dog

"having things like vision and feet" were only appropriate for diabetes patients who were highly committed and responsible before pumps became widely available

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

also another thing the diabetic dogs do is if their owner continues loving up they can go and get someone else to call 911 or whatever

for lots of p serious treatment methods like transplants they literally won't give it to you if you don't have kids/relatives/family b/c the recovery is so touchy and requires daily monitoring for months for you to not die

p amazing that you will be kicked off the bone marrow transplant list for not having a sibling that you're cool with enough to live with you in order to dial a phone

they're getting better at lots of medical automation, particularly for patient quality of life issues, but there's still really no substitute for just having another person around when it comes to monitoring

dogs and helper monkeys just don't cut it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

Meth dealers used to buy dozens of boxes of pseudoephedrine ('pseudo') at a time to stock up on cook supplies. The FDA, DEA and law enforcement agencies tightened down purchase limits so the dealers distributed the pseudo gathering to the customers. now the cost of a bag of meth to the end customer is $SUM_OF_MONEY and 2 boxes of pseudo. this is obviously impossible to trace from the supply side.

the cops disrupted their own poo poo lmao

futurewife is absolutely shocked at how much meth is used literally everywhere outside of new orleans/baton rouge (where it's primarily a mix of heroin and crack)

basically everyone with a drug problem outside of a shrinking number of notable cities will for sure be on meth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

this is something the diabetes dogs are trained to do, go and alert the other people you live with that something's happened without them having to remember to keep checking up on your dumb rear end every few minutes.

as well, doing the same thing in public.

my point is that this sounds dubiously beneficial over just "having someone live with you" since that's the minimum req for lots of other things

slipping into a diabetic coma isn't like having a stroke where 5 minutes makes a gigantic difference in outcome

tho yeah i could see that being useful in public where drunkenness/homelessness is a thing

my diabetic buddy has been thrown out of several establishments for suspected inebriation (football games and an airport) b/c the symptoms of hypo are p similar if you don't have training

btw you're supposed to check their breath - diabetic ketoacidosis results in distinctive fruity breath

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
b/c ofc sulk is pro-medical device dog

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

the point is they mostly go to people who are proven to not be able to handle poo poo on their own, or even just with someone else who lives there.

having to have the dog is more a sign that a lot of people don't expect you to do the things right, but that dog is going to go out of its way to ensure that if you gently caress up it will either keep you on task or get someone else to do so.

but those kinds of patients tend to live on their own, without any kinda support structure whatsoever

tho i'll ask futurewife, maybe there's a larger intersect between "diabetic who can't manage a pump 3 times a week" and "diabetic with a loving family" enough to warrant needles and a thirty thousand dollar dog over a five grand insulin pump

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

triple sulk posted:

Seriously, some people are just really, astoundingly bad at managing it for any of a variety of reasons. If they wanna spend the money then who gives a gently caress.

the people selling the dogs do for sure

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

a five grand insulin pump doesnt do jack poo poo when they dont remember to use it properly!!!

*feeds insulin dog the insulin out of the fridge*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

daft punk railroad posted:

Cash Cab but with sexual harassment instead of money

there is porn like this

i have seen it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ugh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

still funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

$200/month isn't exactly exclusive, the olympic club is like 10k just to join then $3k+/year and they have like 5000 members

plus they have a sweet gym and golf course

yeah $200/month is less than most country clubs ffs

but lol apparently tech nerds need a place not associated with outside sports like golf and tennis

• Locked thread