Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
Wow whats next realistic butthole physics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sir AIDS posted:

lmao

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Sir AIDS posted:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Sir AIDS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqBG2HFCLKw

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

Sir AIDS posted:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
finally, a game for the lady gamers. I approve.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
Lol.. Can't Wait for UnSharted Poor for the Gaystation...

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Sir AIDS posted:

Don't give the Skyrim nexus ideas.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Doctor Goat posted:

Don't give the Skyrim nexus ideas.
I've tried both version 5 and 6, and enjoyed aspects from both:

-Version 5 has subtle pubic hair stubble that v6 doesn't (Am I right?). I love that feature, it feels more realistic and looks better. Plox add back pubic razor stubble in the future.
-Bellybutton. I've read some of the other comments and I agree with them that the bellybuttons look a bit too deep. This one doesn't really bother me though.
-That subtle blonde/light body hair, absolutely love that. Keep it. Realistic.
-Butthole. I felt v6 had a better looking butthole and placement. (Yes I check everything).
-Nipples/Areolas. V6 had a darker colour. This is purely subjective, but I prefer the lighter colours that v5 has. Maybe add an option to choose colours or something in the future?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Realistic bullhole physics is tricky because you need your cloth solver to be volumetric. Havok offers a dynamic cloth middleware that can do volumetric stuff but it's a pretty expensive package (and not that great for cheap and easy implementation), so most developers go with an in-house solution for cloth. Here's the run-down of how it works:

Simulated cloth works a lot like the springs in a mattress, only they go between all points instead of only up. Every edge of every polygon is a spring. Every update (of which can be many per frame), forces are applied to the whole system by different sources (gravity, linear velocity, angular velocity, wind, etc). To get better cloth results, you can either spend more CPU on updating spring positions per frame, or you can add springs (E.G. more polygons). That works well for a cloth surface, but a softbody volume will just limply collapse because you're only simulating the surface of the object.

A cloth spring array might look something like this:

... And will behave something like this:

If you're aiming for realistic butthole physics, you'll either need much more rigid and robust (CPU expensive) solution, or you'll need springs that pass inside of the object itself. Most in-house cloth solutions don't support that because any given vertex typically doesn't have more than a single surface to worry about -- it's not really a valid mesh, so the "inside" springs need to be created automatically. Anyway, we need to start attaching springs in between surfaces that weren't originally attached so as to somewhat preserve the volume.

A volumetric cloth mesh (a softbody) might, internally, look something more like this:

There's your butthole physics in action.

If you're only simulating part of a surface, there might be cheaper alternatives: You could treat the surface as your usual flat cloth, but feed in the original unsimulated surface as a collision surface. That way, it "keeps volume" while still having some of that realistic look to it, but it's tricky to pull off nicely.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 9, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

it sort of boggles my mind that computers nowadays can do what you just posted, in addition to everything else a game does, sixty goddamn times every second

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
hot thread,
4/5 boner

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Holy loving poo poo gimbal, 5/5

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

yowza!!! i'd lay her eggs!!!

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

Realistic bullhole physics is tricky because you need your cloth solver to be volumetric. Havok offers a dynamic cloth middleware that can do volumetric stuff but it's a pretty expensive package (and not that great for cheap and easy implementation), so most developers go with an in-house solution for cloth. Here's the run-down of how it works:

Simulated cloth works a lot like the springs in a mattress, only they go between all points instead of only up. Every edge of every polygon is a spring. Every update (of which can be many per frame), forces are applied to the whole system by different sources (gravity, linear velocity, angular velocity, wind, etc). To get better cloth results, you can either spend more CPU on updating spring positions per frame, or you can add springs (E.G. more polygons). That works well for a cloth surface, but a softbody volume will just limply collapse because you're only simulating the surface of the object.

If you're aiming for realistic butthole physics, you'll either need much more rigid and robust (CPU expensive) solution, or you'll need springs that pass inside of the object itself. Most in-house cloth solutions don't support that because any given vertex typically doesn't have more than a single surface to worry about -- it's not really a valid mesh, so the "inside" springs need to be created automatically. Anyway, we need to start attaching springs in between surfaces that weren't originally attached so as to somewhat preserve the volume.

A volumetric cloth mesh (a softbody) might, internally, look something more like this:

If you're only simulating part of a surface, there might be cheaper alternatives: You could treat the surface as your usual flat cloth, but feed in the original unsimulated surface as a collision surface. That way, it "keeps volume" while still having some of that realistic look to it, but it's tricky to pull off nicely.

thankyou very interesting

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Gimbal lock posted:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i do have a question about that, if we're talking butthole physics, why are you using a sphere as your example, shouldn't it be a donut shape at the very least

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
lol at you virgin nerds who think the butthole looks like a sphere or a donut :rolleyes:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

if your butthole does not look like a donut, you're not cramming enough

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Gimbal lock posted:

yes but will it give me the tingles in my no no zone?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A Spider Covets posted:

yes but will it give me the tingles in my no no zone?

maybe with the anal oculus rift

Dec 26, 2012

annulus rift

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

01011001 posted:

annulus rift

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Good news for next gen butthole capture technology from Disney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3X5OmHXa4c&t=107s

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gimbal lock posted:

I loving love science!

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

My Volumetric Butthole™

Prometheus1
Mar 15, 2012

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it

Gimbal lock posted:

Can you simulate a sphincter ?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

it sort of boggles my mind that computers nowadays can do what you just posted, in addition to everything else a game does, sixty goddamn times every second

actually they can't, but it doesn't matter because the human eye can only see 24 fps anyway

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I hope that the next elder scrolls game has butthole customization sliders for total immersion

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

actually they can't, but it doesn't matter because the human eye can only see 24 fps anyway

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sir AIDS posted:

sounds good. i'm loving in.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nanomashoes posted:

lol

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

why do we have 32-bit colour depth when the human eye can only see three colours anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

humans can't look up; this is why we use horizontal screens

• Locked thread