Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmfao http://youtu.be/bp-UgLklPfA?t=1m21s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes I remember FFVII and how Cloud had a personality. "Let's mosey" is probably the best line ever.

Advent Children was exciting to watch once, and then the sadness set in.:smith:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i watched that movie and i think i blocked it out of my memory, because not only do i not remember that part, i cannot recall a single scene. however, spirits within is fresh in my mind

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I remember really being excited about Spirits Within and I'm pretty sure I was conscious for all of it but I remember it like I fell asleep through the middle third of it or maybe 5/8ths or something.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I can only remember the beginning where like there's motorcycles or something then I forgot everything else. Wasn't there another Final Fantasy movie that wasn't related to any of the games at all?

edit: yeah forgot the name of that one too. Spirits within

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

this reminds me I should continue playing FFVII and FFIX on my Playstation Vita

it is an Excellent Gaming Experience

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X4wGd31LsE

i like genesis's sword

crisis core is the only place sephiroth actually owns but it's also the only thing i've cared about in the extended universe or w/e

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 9, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When I first saw this i justified the crazy anime action to my friends by being all "they're all level 99 so of course they can do crazy poo poo."

I still think that's as good an explanation as any

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Out of the way! I'm going to see my mother.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

When I first saw this i justified the crazy anime action to my friends by being all "they're all level 99 so of course they can do crazy poo poo."

I still think that's as good an explanation as any

being anime is no excuse for looking like poo poo though. gurren lagann ended with a fight across the entire universe and mechs being punched through galaxies like DBZ characters through cliffs, but the animators actually made it look really good and weighty despite the ridiculous premise. the action in advent children just looks really limp and floaty and the characters seem to be able to do whatever the script says without any internal consistency and it makes the whole thing look like a parody of itself

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I actively avoid anime, so, I don't OP

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I feel like a lovely gamer because I've never done anything Final Fantasy related.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
The Bahamut fight was so weak because it was anime as gently caress and bland, it felt forced in there so they could have a reference to Bahamut and summoning. The fight in the forest was cool Matrix poo poo though, and despite the fact nobody ever feels like they're in danger I just like watching cool over-the-top nonsense every once in a while.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I remember it being a lot better than it probably actually was.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/08/us/movie-stars-fear-inroads-by-upstart-digital-actors.html

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Wormskull posted:

I remember really being excited about Spirits Within and I'm pretty sure I was conscious for all of it but I remember it like I fell asleep through the middle third of it or maybe 5/8ths or something.

I kinda liked it but I don't remember anything that actually happened in it. Whenever I think I do it turns out it was the space part in ff8 that I was thinking of.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Tom Hanks posted:

''I am very troubled by it,'' said Tom Hanks, who does not like to think that his carefully chosen roles and hard-fought performances can be tampered with by after-the-fact computer auteurs, or that someone might make unwanted use of his digital self. ''But it's coming down, man. It's going to happen. And I'm not sure what actors can do about it.''

2001 rofls

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

i got around to watching advent children for the first time ever a couple of months ago actually, since i managed to put it off for nearly a decade and finally just now got around to watching it

it was poo poo, poo poo poo poo poo poo. the dialogue, oh my loving god. i mean i normally don't like anime and make fun of how a lot of it has really stilted writing but it felt like nobody ever actually had a conversation in that goddamn film. it was more like everyone was just kind of overhearing each other and talking to themselves about whatever the goddamn situation was. and the main bad guy was some prettyboy goon who just kind of shows up and starts talking about how great he is and I don't even know if he was supposed to be secretly Sephiroth or not, or what his deal is, I don't even feel like I really watched the movie even because I don't have a goddamn clue what happened.

and at the end of the movie sephiroth shows up and he and cloud have a big dragonball z fight and that's that. also all the other cast members show up for two seconds just because they have to, because it's a FF7 circlejerk with no plot. and despite cloud saving the world, he's now a delivery boy somehow

also the subtitles and english VO were different, like the script for the subs and for the VO was translated by two different people

I bought the DVD on clearance for a dollar and usually it's easy to justify a dollar DVD purchase, since if you get one thing out of it, it was worth it. a laugh, something to make fun of, boobs, gore, it's not hard to find at least one thing in a lovely movie to point out. but advent children, I can't even remember more than a couple of minutes. everything I mentioned up there is everything I remember, aside from reno & rude showing up for comic relief (and there wasn't even much comic or relief when they were around). i could have used that dollar to buy a candy bar or part of a soda or 1/40th of a new 3DS game but no, i wasted it and hosed up

I give it: 0/5. This movie has not earned the Gay Skull Seal of Quality™.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Square wanted to keep the main chicks model in Spirits Within as a "digital actress" to be re-used in their planned cinema line. haha well about that. *tugs collar*

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

gay skull posted:

and at the end of the movie sephiroth shows up and he and cloud have a big dragonball z fight and that's that. also all the other cast members show up for two seconds just because they have to, because it's a FF7 circlejerk with no plot. and despite cloud saving the world, he's now a delivery boy somehow

the main character of orcs must die 2 had to become a miner because he destroyed the portals in OMD1 and his job was literally just Guard Portals

i like the idea of people having to find uses for their skills after a game is over

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Square wanted to keep the main chicks model in Spirits Within as a "digital actress" to be re-used in their planned cinema line. haha well about that. *tugs collar*

Wasn't she in a nickleback video?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
lol do I remember that scene? do you go around asking New York Firefighters if they remember the day two gleaming towers fell? hey, jackie, remember when your husbo got a little off the top in Dallas? holy poo poo I can't believe you've asked this. hum, you ask basically, do you think Mary Magdalene recalled witnessing the Son of God and our lord Jesus Christ get nailed to a loving cross? i could stick my head into a time portal and witness nagasaki evaporated in a blinding light for eternity and not have that image seared into my eyes as much as the sight of Red XIII giving Cloud an alley oop is.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Vhak lord of hate posted:

lol do I remember that scene? do you go around asking New York Firefighters if they remember the day two gleaming towers fell? hey, jackie, remember when your husbo got a little off the top in Dallas? holy poo poo I can't believe you've asked this. hum, you ask basically, do you think Mary Magdalene recalled witnessing the Son of God and our lord Jesus Christ get nailed to a loving cross? i could stick my head into a time portal and witness nagasaki evaporated in a blinding light for eternity and not have that image seared into my eyes as much as the sight of Red XIII giving Cloud an alley oop is.

dang I ain't seen you post in ages, I might have just not noticed but welcome back anyway

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
FF7 didn't take itself seriously, ffs. It had some serious bits as well as funny and weird bits but my 11 year old self was OK with that because ADVENTURE and COOL DUDES and bosses and you could blow the earth with a meteor.

Now, Advent Children made Cloud emo and these lovely CGI fights gently caress FF7 fandom seriously. It's like growing up to discover they made a serious Batman movie oh gently caress they really did.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
advent children was terrible and sucked any soul that the original game had out of the experience

the only worthwhile ff 7 spinoff was crisis core, and even parts of that were pretty gay too

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

loving badass.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

the main character of orcs must die 2 had to become a miner because he destroyed the portals in OMD1 and his job was literally just Guard Portals

i like the idea of people having to find uses for their skills after a game is over

I always figured they would just do what celebrity athletes do and just sort of sit around in their mansions thinking about how wealthy they are and occasionally show up as a cameo on TV or in a stoner comedy

Gau from FF6 probably became a regular on their equiv. to Dr. Phil

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Thank you.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

gay skull posted:

I always figured they would just do what celebrity athletes do and just sort of sit around in their mansions thinking about how wealthy they are and occasionally show up as a cameo on TV or in a stoner comedy

That's our Kefka! *vwoop-track*

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Oppa FF7 Style!

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
That is bad rear end.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

being anime is no excuse for looking like poo poo though. gurren lagann ended with a fight across the entire universe and mechs being punched through galaxies like DBZ characters through cliffs, but the animators actually made it look really good and weighty despite the ridiculous premise. the action in advent children just looks really limp and floaty and the characters seem to be able to do whatever the script says without any internal consistency and it makes the whole thing look like a parody of itself

drat. This is a damning critique. Take mine Golden 5's, but also take care their weight does not encumber thee.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

loving masterpiece.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dec 26, 2012

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

who's that blonde lady with the huge sword? she's pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

• Locked thread